Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2008, 21:08   #1
BHPian

Chevy Optra : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

I recently had an bad experience with Goodyear GT3 (OE), during my highway drive front 2 tyres got flatspotted due to hard breaking. car has done 15k got no claim from Goodyear.

Now today one of those flatspotted tyre busted. so i have only 4 tyres left. one of them is almost new as i have done only 1000kms on it.

Now i have two option, 1 either get one more GT3 and put it in front with new spare tyre which i have, put other 2 tyres in the rear and keep the flatspotted one in boot. This will cost me only 3k. Run these GT3 for another 10-15k kms and then get new set.

OR 2, throw away those GT3s and get new set of 4 tyres keep one GT3 in boot. This will cost me bomb. Please advice which option to go for.

Another help needed, if i go for new set which tyre to choose, my criteria is following

1. Need better grip, and high speed tyre
2. Need better handling and cornering capabilities
3. Need better breaking.
4. Long life and comfort

i have shortlisted Michelin PP2, Potenza GIII, Yoko A-Drive / S-Drive. However PP2s are expensive for my pocket. And also i heard they bubble up.

Guys please help
Old 7th November 2008, 21:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

The first thing you should do is PM iragava and Lukeskywalker

Luke got his wheels changed for his Optra recently. You would get good inputs.
Old 7th November 2008, 22:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

IIRC the stock size is 195/60-15.
S drives and PP2s don't come in that size and its better to avoid GIIIs.

The best option in stock size would be Michelin MXV8 and Apollo Acelere. Both are good.

In case u plan to upgrade then u will have the option of getting both S drives and Michelin PP2 in 205/55-15.
Old 8th November 2008, 09:21   #4
BHPian

Kpzen, in fact i forgot to mention that if i go for new set then i will go for 205/55/R15
Old 8th November 2008, 11:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

You could try S. Drives in 205. They suit the Magnum pretty well.
Old 10th November 2008, 10:30   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
You could try S. Drives in 205. They suit the Magnum pretty well.
For the matter of fact, i was planning to get S-Drives till i read the review s-drive on Elantra. so Little confused now.
Old 8th December 2008, 14:57   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
Kpzen, in fact i forgot to mention that if i go for new set then i will go for 205/55/R15
Hey,
So finally which one did you go in for? Im planning for a tyre upgrade as the stock is no good for me.
Have you upgraded to 205/55/15 or went in for stock size? I fear 205 will be too hard on steering as it is already hard for City driving.
Old 8th December 2008, 17:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

I was told it is S-Drive if it's performance you are looking for and MXV8 if it's comfort and treadwear, I chose the latter and about 8000kms later am perfectly happy about the decision.
Old 24th December 2010, 17:16   #9
BHPian

Re: Urgent help needed, tyres for Optra Magnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
I recently had an bad experience with Goodyear GT3 (OE), during my highway drive front 2 tyres got flatspotted due to hard breaking. car has done 15k got no claim from Goodyear.

Now today one of those flatspotted tyre busted. so i have only 4 tyres left. one of them is almost new as i have done only 1000kms on it.

Now i have two option, 1 either get one more GT3 and put it in front with new spare tyre which i have, put other 2 tyres in the rear and keep the flatspotted one in boot. This will cost me only 3k. Run these GT3 for another 10-15k kms and then get new set.

OR 2, throw away those GT3s and get new set of 4 tyres keep one GT3 in boot. This will cost me bomb. Please advice which option to go for.

Another help needed, if i go for new set which tyre to choose, my criteria is following

1. Need better grip, and high speed tyre
2. Need better handling and cornering capabilities
3. Need better breaking.
4. Long life and comfort

i have shortlisted Michelin PP2, Potenza GIII, Yoko A-Drive / S-Drive. However PP2s are expensive for my pocket. And also i heard they bubble up.

Guys please help
i know this is a really old thread. nut which tyres did you upgrade too? I wanted to change to yoko s-drives retailing at 5100/piece. someone recommended NEXEN tyres retailing at 5400/piece saying they are drift tyres!
help me out somebody urgently since i cant live with the stock goodyear nct's
Old 24th December 2010, 17:42   #10
BHPian

would suggest if you are looking at performance
1) PP2 in 205/55/15
2) hankook rs2
3) Neovas if you can source

I would surely say no to CPC 2 , S-drives and Acelere (if its acelere sportz , guess they are good)
Old 24th December 2010, 17:47   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nims View Post
i know this is a really old thread. nut which tyres did you upgrade too? I wanted to change to yoko s-drives retailing at 5100/piece. someone recommended NEXEN tyres retailing at 5400/piece saying they are drift tyres!
I upgraded to Yoho S-drive 205/55 15 on my Magnum last Jan. The tyre gives very good performance on all conditions. But it will not like pot holes at high speed at all. I already had to change two tyres because of side wall bulge (of course, from pot hole hit). Also dont expect the tyres to last more than 20-24k km.

@raj.barcode
is PP2 205/15 15 still in production?. I waited for this tyre for an year, before deciding for Yoko SDrive. I even contacted Michelin Delhi office and they were also clue less. It was not in stock with Bangalore and Delhi dealers

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th December 2010 at 17:56. Reason: Back to back posts, please use multi quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks
Old 25th December 2010, 03:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nims View Post
I would suggest you take a very good look at the Yokohama AVS dB. These are made in Japan and far superior to a whole lot of tires available in the market today. Another very good tire right now is the Bridgestone Turanza GR80 also made in Japan. Forget the S drives they are good for the boy racer types and damn hard and fast wearing, infact the C drive is a far better product to have for everyday driving including highway runs.
Old 28th December 2010, 12:26   #13
BHPian

pp3 was not recommended by a dealer. S drives are available. C drives are awesome since i use them for my innova. rest of them i have to check for availability. thanks people.
Old 13th April 2011, 17:49   #14
BHPian

re: Chevy Optra : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Is there anyone used Yokohama AVS dB v550 205/60/15 for optra magnum? Will it hit the side walls while turning? How is the steering effort compared to OEM tyres while driving inside city?
Old 21st May 2011, 12:13   #15
BHPian

re: Chevy Optra : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
Is there anyone used Yokohama AVS dB v550 205/60/15 for optra magnum? Will it hit the side walls while turning? How is the steering effort compared to OEM tires while driving inside city?
Same question as above. Even I need to change the wheels on my car.
Priorities :
Ground Clearance (Similar is fine I don't want to lose on GC)
Comfort
Long Lasting
Hopefully somewhat better performance than the OEM's

Options :
1. 195/60/15 - Stock Size - Michelin Primacy LC or some Yoko's (Yoko availability in Lucknow might be an issue and could not find any India specific information on their website.)
2. 205/55/15 - Might lose on GC (4mm if I remember correctly but dunno whether that would really matter)
3. 205/60/15 - Sidewall scraping issue. Is it true? Otherwise seems to be a good upgrade option.

Kindly advice on what should be rubbers I should l consider. Want to upgrade the profile but not without any concrete information.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks