Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2014, 08:06   #556
BHPian

Re: Michelin Energy XM1+ & Bridgestone Turanza ER-60....The Best Allrounders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
I have a few questions for tyre experts:

Our i10 complete 6 years this month, and though it has driven only 36k kms, I remember reading somewhere that tires should be changed every six years as the compound becomes hard and unsafe with age irrespective of kilometres driven. Is this true?

If it is, what is a good replacement tyre. Priorities are:
- Peace of mind: Don't want any cuts or bulging sidewalls if I accidentally go over a pothole
- Safety (decent wet and dry grip)
- Decent warranty/after sales.

Don't care about kms it can last, as the car isn't driven much anyway.

Cheers,
Su-47

PS: Shouldn't the title of thread change to AR20 and XM2?
Undoubtedly go for 155/80 R13 Bridgestone AR20. I have just changed to truanza er60 on my beauty red swift and I can vouch for their grip levels and no impact on the economy as well. XM2 has a weaker sidewall compared to ar20. IMHO Bridgestone tyres are better suited to the indian roads compared to Michelin tyres.
sunilsoft is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 08:59   #557
BHPian

I have changed my tyres from JK Tornado to Bridgestone AR20. This tyre is lot more smoother than I expected. Once of my friend had XM2 on his Ertiga. I personally felt XM2 was smother than AR20, might be because of softer rubber on XM2.
Old 22nd July 2014, 22:28   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetbadri View Post
I have changed my tyres from JK Tornado to Bridgestone AR20. This tyre is lot more smoother than I expected. Once of my friend had XM2 on his Ertiga. I personally felt XM2 was smother than AR20, might be because of softer rubber on XM2.
Yes indeed it is due to the softer rubber compound but the problem is with the sidewall and as per the new warranty policy of michelin any cuts on sidewalls are not covered. IMO what you loose in smoothness you gain in grip.
Old 18th April 2016, 08:12   #559

Looking to replace my stock JK Vectra tyres in my 4 year old Nissan Sunny having done 65000kms. One tyre has given way and the rest are in their last bit of life. The options I have homed on are
Goodyear Assurance 185/70/R14 (confused about TripleMax or Armour)
Bridgestone Turanza AR 20 185/70/R14
MRF ZLO
The place Im at presently is pretty hilly with BAD roads, so bad that my gearbox got damaged due to a flying stone and the car is presently at the workshop.
Looking for sound advice please
Regards,
Bala
Old 24th April 2016, 13:42   #560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbala View Post
Goodyear Assurance 185/70/R14 (confused about TripleMax or Armour)
Bridgestone Turanza AR 20 185/70/R14
MRF ZLO
Go for BS Turanza AR20 with your eyes closed. It is definitely the best of the trio.
ScorpMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2016, 06:00   #561

Thanks for the tip. Spoke to the dealers today, they don't have the AR20, they say it hasn't hit the market in bareilly yet. Someone was mentioning that the best alternative would be the Continental ContiComfortContact CC5. Another forum in TeamBHP also extolls the virtue of the CC5.
Now I'm even more confused!
Regards
Old 6th May 2016, 07:28   #562
BHPian

Quite strange these dealers are. They haven't hit Bareilly yet, and here in Delhi they say AR20s have been discontinued and Er60 have been reintroduced. I am looking forward to change the ER60s on my Swift after a good 70k duty.
Old 9th May 2016, 17:31   #563
BHPian

Have been driving the 2010 i20 Petrol Sportz on the stock Aceleres. I think they are 185/65/R14 (can someone confirm this). Since I don't drive much, the car has driven just 29K kms in the last 6 yrs.

Having read that tyres need to be changed even if you have not used them a lot, am planning to go for an upgrade. Last 2-3 times when braked hard, the tyres screeched. Am not sure whether this is a sign of tyre wear or whether the brake pads need to be changed.
I am not looking at any upsizing and would want to opt for 4 new tyres. The 5th one is sparingly used, so I am not sure whether I should change that. Budget is not much of a concern if I am getting good value for money. My drives are mostly on the highways with safe driving around 80-100 kmph.

I am looking at less road noise (the Aceleres create a racket while driving), comfort and superb highway braking.

Can you please recommend me a few tyres?
Old 9th May 2016, 19:48   #564

Michelin XM2 should be amongst the top of your list.

Superb ride comfort, very low rolling noise and wet braking is good.

I never consider puncture resistance to be a benchmark of a tyre choice,since any rubber will never win a battle vs an iron nail.

XM2 sidewall is flexible but you really don't have to worry about any sidewall damage in Michelins that someone would have u believe.

I've driven XM1+ and then XM2 for ~ 45kms each and they serve very very well throughout.
Old 9th May 2016, 23:27   #565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Have been driving the 2010 i20 Petrol Sportz on the stock Aceleres. I think they are 185/65/R14 (can someone confirm this). Since I don't drive much, the car has driven just 29K kms in the last 6 yrs.

Having read that tyres need to be changed even if you have not used them a lot, am planning to go for an upgrade. Last 2-3 times when braked hard, the tyres screeched. Am not sure whether this is a sign of tyre wear or whether the brake pads need to be changed.
I am not looking at any upsizing and would want to opt for 4 new tyres. The 5th one is sparingly used, so I am not sure whether I should change that. Budget is not much of a concern if I am getting good value for money. My drives are mostly on the highways with safe driving around 80-100 kmph.

I am looking at less road noise (the Aceleres create a racket while driving), comfort and superb highway braking.

Can you please recommend me a few tyres?
Yokohama Earth-1 & Michelin Energy XM2 come to mind first mate. I recently changed from Bridgestone to Yokohama Earth-1, and the transformation of my car is amazing. I would recommend taking a look at both of these tyres.

IMO, Yokohama Earth-1 is more suited for Indian conditions, as it was designed specially for India, so supposedly has better sidewall strength, and better resistance to the elements. They have good dry and wet grip, and are silent on all surfaces.

Michelin Energy XM2 are also highly recommended tires, as they have good dry and wet grip, and are also silent, but I've read and also heard about them being more prone to punctures and sidewall cuts, in addition to them being more expensive than the Yokohama Earth-1.

I was also confused about going for either of these, but ultimately ended up choosing Yokohama, as I was having regular punctures due to the roads I'm forced to travel on .

Let us know what you choose

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2016, 00:26   #566
BHPian

I can vouch for the XM2 and honestly they are a brilliant set. There's a BIG NOTICEABLE difference once you change.

About the sidewalls and punctures, I've had them for a year, just one puncture and have taken them on bad roads. They flex and they feel awesome. The tyres won't get cut or damaged if the tyre pressure is maintained in my opinion. Go for them, you won't regret it
Old 10th May 2016, 02:17   #567

+1 to that.

I've driven on MRF ZV2k ,bridgestone S322, bridgestone turanza,Apollo acceleres, Michelin xm1+ ,xm2 and now my new ecosport is riding a set of Michelin Primacy 3ST.

Nothing beats Michelin in low rolling noise,ride comfort and 9/10 on cornering and road grip.

In fact ST in Primacy 3ST stands for 'silence tuned'.

Michelin all the way mate !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks