Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2009, 12:57   #1
BHPian

Michelin Energy XM1+ & Bridgestone Turanza ER-60....The Best Allrounders?

From my limited knowledge on tyres and from recommendations dished out by our Tyre Gurus, especially Ishaan, these two tyres seem to be getting the most positive reviews here. They are both comfort biased tyres with good comfort, low noise levels, longevity & good FE, but are also reasonably good at high speed cornering & grip. They also fall in the same 3.5K-3.7K price bracket.

I am personally quite happy with the overall balance of ride and handling on my S10 with the stock 175/65 R14 size and would like to stick to the same. Just thought that better quality of rubber should do the job. My requirements :-

-Good comfort in city as well as highways, but not necessarily extra comfy. What I mean is that some feedback from tyres and steering is a good thing.
-Low noise at high speeds.
-Reasonably good high speed handling (wet & dry) and straight line stability.
- Overall "fun-to'drive" factor should be retained with a fine balance between ride and handling and a responsive steering.

Am I asking for too much from these two tyres? Surprisingly, Bridgestone India site mentions the Turanze ER-60 under "Sports" category. Does that mean the ER-60s are a touch more more sporty than the XM1+? Also, the Michelins have very soft sidewalls. Can that be a problem in a city like Mumbai? Saifee Tyres Co. recommend Michelins while Premji Sales recommend Turanza ER-60.

So which of these two "allround" tyres should I go for?

Last edited by roms : 20th January 2009 at 13:02.
Old 20th January 2009, 13:00   #2
Team-BHP Support

Interesting. Though I would like Yoko A-Drives to also be considered.
Old 20th January 2009, 13:12   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Interesting. Though I would like Yoko A-Drives to also be considered.
Oh yeah, I forget about the A-Drives. I believe even these could fit the bill and can be considered as good allround tyres. And they are cheaper than the other two at 3.2K per tyre. Somehow, Premji Sales guys were not very enthusiastic about these and recommend ER-60 or XM+ over these.
I think I can take these into consideration as well.
Old 20th January 2009, 13:14   #4
BHPian

On YOKOs A-Drive

I got YOKOs A-Drive, on my Palio MJD some 1000 kms back. The tyre noise has just eliminated, the car feels more gripped to the road as compared to the stocked ones.

The driving comfort has increased a lot, steering has become lighter, went to Dehradun last week, clocked 130+ kmph, with that extra confidence that YOKOs gave me, the braking has improved on its head.

A-Drive in Delhi costed me a 3k per tyre.
Old 20th January 2009, 13:21   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
I got YOKOs A-Drive, on my Palio MJD some 1000 kms back. The tyre noise has just eliminated, the car feels more gripped to the road as compared to the stocked ones.

The driving comfort has increased a lot, steering has become lighter, went to Dehradun last week, clocked 130+ kmph, with that extra confidence that YOKOs gave me, the braking has improved on its head.

A-Drive in Delhi costed me a 3k per tyre.
Thanks for the reply. You say steering has become lighter. Has that by any chance taken away the steering feedback at low or high speeds? I personally love the slightly heavy steering and dont want to lose out on steering feedback. 3K is a really good price I guess.

Last edited by roms : 20th January 2009 at 13:23.
Old 20th January 2009, 13:29   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roms View Post
Thanks for the reply. You say steering has become lighter. Has that by any chance taken away the steering feedback at low or high speeds? I personally love the slighlty heavy steering and dont want to lose out on steering feedback. 3K is a really good price I guess.
Hey roms, I did felt the same for the first 100kms, now i am pretty much use to it.

The change in feed is not that substantial but yes perceptible, however now after completing 1000kms it is not even evident to me
Old 20th January 2009, 14:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

Roms, I am driving on Michelin XM1+ for past six months.
Superb tires, offers good comfort, very silent, good handling in both dry & wet conditions, improved steering response (maybe due to alloys) but didn't find it heavier, was better than before.

Last edited by finneyp : 20th January 2009 at 14:17.
Old 20th January 2009, 14:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

Apart from the 3 mentioned above, another honourable entry IMO would be the Apollo Accelere's.

And my thinking is, with any of the four above, you can't go wrong for the purpose. Chose whichever you like best.
Old 20th January 2009, 14:30   #9
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Roms, I am driving on Michelin XM1+ for past six months.
Superb tires, offers good comfort, very silent, good handling in both dry & wet conditions, improved steering response (maybe due to alloys) but didn't find it heavier, was better than before.
+1

Initially, I was skeptical in introducing my XM1+ to rough terrians having gained the impression that they are soft rubber compared to Yoko and Bridgestone. But in India, do you have a choice of roads? I had to unwillingly take the car to these roads and believe me, they have handled all kinds of terrains extremely well in the last 1500 kms or so.

I've no experience with Turanza.
Old 20th January 2009, 14:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

The Turanzas are damn silent and comfortable. I have a 2nd set of Turanzas (AR-10) on the RS (earlier had ER-30). Got almost 45K out of the tyres and they were silent. Had only a solitary puncture in those 45K kms.

I say Bridgestones over Michellins.
normally_crazy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2009, 14:35   #11
BHPian

Recently i got a Turanza ER60 tyres for my Fiesta... So far, the ride has been pretty decent - the car running is really smooth at high speeds...

Till now - i am happy with Turanza ER60
Old 20th January 2009, 14:39   #12
BHPian

Bridgestone

My experience goes from Bridgestone S322, Yoko ES 100, Goodyear Eagle NCT 5 and now ER 60 195/60 R 14 on UVA.

They are silent....the road grip is amazing

Got them from Bombay tyre at Milan subway for 3950 / -per piece a month back.

I have never used XM1 or +

The previous experience with Bridgstone has been good....S322 no Punctures

Yoko - ES-100 - 2 punctures in 2 months
NCT 5 - so many (3 I corrected and lived with 1 till I traded off for ER60) in 7 months
Old 20th January 2009, 14:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

I used Turanzas on my OHC and presety using XM1+ on my adventure....i think i would prefer Turanzas any day.
Old 20th January 2009, 14:45   #14
rippergeo

Do turanzas come in 195/60 R 15?

Old 20th January 2009, 14:46   #15
BHPian

Does anyone know where Yokos could be available in Hyderabad. I am looking for 185/65 or 195/60 in 14".

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks