Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2009, 20:11   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

@Prince pervez --- Palio is FWD. Almost all Indian cars are FWD. Only the old Premier Padmini was a RWD. I think the Amby too. Not sure.

All other imports(all Mercs, all BMWs, ) are RWD. Audi A4 is FWD unless it's a quattro.

As for your manager's tyres, I think it's better it goes to the back. After all, it is monsoon now! I'm going to start advising all the guys who come to my shop to put the new tyres at the back. Let's see how successful I am!

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th May 2009 at 18:51. Reason: Original post restored. Will be PMing you soon.
Old 27th May 2009, 20:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
@Prince pervez --- Palio is FWD. Almost all Indian cars are FWD. Only the old Premier Padmini was a RWD. I think the Amby too. Not sure.

All other imports(all Mercs, all BMWs, ) are RWD. Audi A4 is FWD unless it's a quattro.

As for your manager's tyres, I think it's better it goes to the back. After all, it is monsoon now!
Hey thanks a lot Nikhilb2008. Actually I also suggested him Michelin xm1+.
But the other pair is not a michelin. They are stock. (I think MRF). So will that be a problem here ? Different brands for front and rear. Man I'm so naive at this.

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th May 2009 at 22:33. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Old 27th May 2009, 21:14   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, it wont make too big a difference in normal day to day driving(if I'm wrong, someone correct me). However, in a high speed scenario, it could be critical.

XM1+ is a very good tyre. He can go for that for sure. But I do hope that his other two tyres are in good shape. No point in trying to save 6k if all 4 tyres are worn out.

PS: Call me Nikhil
Old 27th May 2009, 21:27   #19
Senior - BHPian

thanks Nikhil. Let me see if I can convince him for fitting it to the rear axel
I'll keep you posted.
Old 24th July 2009, 19:41   #20
Senior - BHPian

This thread breaks such an important myth which so many people in India have.
I just broke mine to with this thread. In interest of Safety, this must be made a sticky...
Old 24th July 2009, 20:30   #21
BHPian

My take-
Situation 1: have bald tyres in front and brand new one at rear:
on harsh breaking the front tyres contribute nothing to stop the vehicle (though more than 50% stopping is to be done by them). Because of no contribution towards stabalizing the vehicle it may be difficult to take corrective inputs from the stearing as it will not translate to anything positive.
Situation 2: have new tyres in front and bald ones at the rear:
on harsh breaking the new tyres majorly contribute to stopping the vehicle and even if the back spins the stearing inputs to the front will translate to direction changes.
Does it make any sense? New tyres at the rear in RWD vehicles definately contribute to better pickup though but definately not help in breaking- on harsh breaking its always the front tyres that streak.
Old 24th July 2009, 20:49   #22
Senior - BHPian

^^Incorrect theory,Mr. Kashyap.
I've brainstormed this topic with two tyre experts and I'm sold on the 'new tyres at the rear' theory.
Buttt, like you, most of my panic situations have been braking and not oversteer. The reasons are:
1. Low city-road speeds (compared to other countries)
2. Minimum highway driving and always drive well within the limits.

But, I'd rather have a braking accident with minimal control rather than being a passenger in an oversteer crash.
Old 19th November 2009, 00:32   #23
Team-BHP Support

Old 25th March 2010, 16:58   #24
BHPian

I've seen a video somewhere on TBHP about why, against normal practice, new tyres should go at the rear. The whole logic was regarding oversteer control. But what about otherwise normal conditions, especially while braking? If we apply the argument of why disc brakes (better performance) being at the front and drums (lesser performance) at rear, it may make sense. Under braking, the vehicle tips forward giving more traction to front tyres hence we can have better brakes without the fear of slip. The same reason the front tyres should be the best. If you throw in a little turn, the responsibility on the front tyres increases because of uneven contact. The only point of trouble is the rear losing contact from oversteer in wet conditions.

To take this point to the extreme, I have two totally bald tyres and two brand new. With bald tyres at front, how would my steering react? It is wobbly and shaky right from the start with sluggish and uncertain reaction to input. I appply brakes and it is outright dangerous with front wheels each wanting to go their own directions. God help if happens on a wet tarmac. With bald tyres at the rear, the vehicle increasingly loses stability as the speed increases but if steering is applied, the reaction is grossly overstated (as if i'm wagging a heavy tail). The wagging is excessive if brakes are applied.
I state the above paragraph from personal experience because I had to drive a gypsy in those conditions (now I have to drive one with all tyres totally bald for a safety reason, not the Gypsy's but of some machines with three undercarriages). The only disclaimer is that I don't know if the alignment/balance was perfect, I assume it was.

My point is, the very driving with bad tyres at front is dangerous. With bad tyres at rear, it is only during braking that the oversteer and its related problems would manifest. What would I choose?

Observations welcome.
Delta Wing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2010, 22:41   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Wing View Post
What would I choose?
None. Your life is way too important to be driving around with a bald set of tyres, whether at the front or back. Lets not forget that, for all the safety features that modern cars have, it all comes down to that tiny palm-sized tyre contact patch with the road.

Anyone who drives on bald tyres is an idiot who puts his life, and that of others on the road, in danger.

Last edited by GTO : 25th March 2010 at 22:43.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2010, 14:10   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
None. Your life is way too important to be driving around with a bald set of tyres, whether at the front or back. Lets not forget that, for all the safety features that modern cars have, it all comes down to that tiny palm-sized tyre contact patch with the road.

Anyone who drives on bald tyres is an idiot who puts his life, and that of others on the road, in danger.
+1. I don't drive bald tyres on the road (my stated experience is only in a specific controlled environment) nor should anyone else.

What is the outcome? If we had two new tyres and two not new tyres, which go where?
Old 26th March 2010, 14:30   #27
BANNED

Saw the lovely film. A clear case of oversteer with new tyres in the front!
Old 26th March 2010, 15:39   #28
Team-BHP Support

-Slow speeds and city (50-60 kmph) driving in dry weather, new tyre on front.
-High speeds and highways driving and wet condition, new at rear axle.

EDIT: just saw its the old thread lol

Last edited by Jaggu : 26th March 2010 at 15:44.
Old 26th March 2010, 15:55   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
-Slow speeds and city (50-60 kmph) driving in dry weather, new tyre on front.
-High speeds and highways driving and wet condition, new at rear axle.

EDIT: just saw its the old thread lol
Ohhh mannn. Six months old thread and I quoted a video right above my post which I had seen before and wondering where I saw it and posting away to glory right below it.

Last edited by Delta Wing : 26th March 2010 at 15:57.
Old 1st May 2010, 17:17   #30
BHPian

I plan to replace Goodyear 205/55/R16 tyres with either the Michelin 215/55/R16 or the Conti CPC2 225/50/R16 as suggested by Nikhilb2008 on another thread. What precautions should I take while getting them replaced and is balancing the only thing that will have to be done at this stage?

Most Viewed