Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2009, 15:53   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Where to Install a New Pair of Tyres? Front or rear?

This is an article from tire rack.

Tire Tech Information - Where to Install New Pairs of Tires?

Quote:
However due to a front-wheel drive vehicle’s front tires' responsibility for transmitting acceleration, steering and most of the braking forces, it's normal for them to wear faster than rear tires. Therefore if the tires aren't rotated on a regular basis, tires will typically wear out in pairs rather than in sets. And if the tires aren't rotated at all, it's likely that the rear tires will still have about 1/2 of their original tread depth remaining when the front tires are completely worn out.
Intuition suggests that since the front tires wore out first and because there is still about half of the tread remaining on the rear tires, the new tires should be installed on the front axle. This will provide more wet and wintry traction; and by the time the front tires have worn out for the second time, the rear tires will be worn out, too. However in this case, intuition isn't right...and following it can be downright dangerous.
When tires are replaced in pairs in situations like these, the new tires should always be installed on the rear axle and the partially worn tires moved to the front. The reason is because new tires on the rear axle help the driver more easily maintain control on wet roads since deeper treaded tires are better at resisting hydroplaning.

In India, most of the times, the new tyres are fitted at the front. According to various experts, this is wrong. Even Michelin recommends that the new tyres be fitted at the back.

My problem is this: How do we convince Indians to fit it at the back. Does it really make a difference given our roads and our driving conditions? I mean, oversteer isnt really seen in our country. You need to be going really fast on a wet road to experience oversteer.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th May 2009, 15:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

I was also under the same impression, after reading few comments here in the forum, that new tires goes in the front.

It would be interesting to see how this discussion is going out to be.

So, Nikhil, are you saying that regardless of the WD, new tires should be in the back?
HappyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2009, 16:02   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes. See, the logic we have followed all this while is this: Front tyres get worn out faster, so put new tyres in front. Also, since they are FWD, we need more grip in the front.

For RWD, we put it in the back itself.

Now it looks like we need to change our thinking.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2009, 16:06   #4
Team-BHP Support

Most of the owners prefer it in front axle since it will make the steering more easy.

Now under slow conditions withing city it will be safe to have the better tire in the front, but when its raining then it becomes and issue.

ps: this was discussed couple of months back in another thread, case was that of a Maruti 800
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2009, 16:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

But then in the wet dont all tires have to be good? whether front or back. Since one will give way earlier?
iceman91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2009, 16:44   #6
BANNED

A very illuminating comment. I do remember that with rwd cars the new tyres went into the rear. I did not know that this hlods for fwd as well. It forced me to think a bit and what i came up with is:

The logic of new tyres in the rear can be explained in another way. In a near skid situation if the rear end end breaks first then you have an oversteer situation, which in all but the best experts hands can be dangerous. Hence have the older tyres in the front, then the rear end stays put and the first break in grip is from the front. Also, as you approach loss of traction there is normally a warning in the steering become lighter. So newer tyres, i.e. better traction should be in the rear.
sgiitk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2009, 16:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Ok but if front are worn out it will also lead to stopping late or no turning since car will still go straight.
Old 27th May 2009, 16:56   #8
Team-BHP Support

Hey Nikhilb2008,

Good time to bring up this thread, with the monsoons right around the corner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
In India, most of the times, the new tyres are fitted at the front.
I think most people would guess this would be the smarter thing to do - atleast common sense seems to suggest it.

I thought so too, until i read about this a little more than a year ago.

Quote:
....I mean, oversteer isnt really seen in our country. You need to be going really fast on a wet road to experience oversteer.
FWD dominated, and usually accidents are caused by pedestrians/animals/other cars - which leaves little room for accidents all by your lonesome thanks to oversteer.

Quote:
My problem is this: How do we convince Indians to fit it at the back.
Show them this comparison video !

Changing Tires: Tire Basics: Tire Care & Buying Guide: Michelin Tires

Original seen at Xehaust's post here.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th September 2013 at 14:31. Reason: Embedding video
Rehaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2009, 17:17   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nikhilb2008 : My problem is this: How do we convince Indians to fit it at the back.
What if you tell them that the new tires need a little running-in, before they are given the big job of controlling the vehicle's direction & movement etc ?

I know they can go & tell the same to others, and this white-lie can have a boomerang effect on you. But you can also try qualifying that by saying that any manufacturing defects /issues present will crop up on the rear tyres, which is safer. (And that the wty can cover such manufacturing defects. Disclaimers regarding what is not covered will be in order)

Last edited by condor : 27th May 2009 at 17:35.
Old 27th May 2009, 17:32   #10
Team-BHP Support

Simple logic: Front you have it in control "more" esp in fwd's, steering, acclerator and brakes within your control. Corrections and detection of any giving aways can be judged better.

At the rear you end up doing ballet dancing!

Ideally yes all 4 should be good, othewise put good ones at rear if you are in fast and furious mode esp in the rains.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2009, 17:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

In India, most of the times, the new tyres are fitted at the front. According to various experts, this is wrong. Even Michelin recommends that the new tyres be fitted at the back.

My problem is this: How do we convince Indians to fit it at the back. Does it really make a difference given our roads and our driving conditions? I mean, oversteer isnt really seen in our country. You need to be going really fast on a wet road to experience oversteer.
i think this comes from the fact that we have not changed our mindset from the earlier days when we had only RWD vehicles. Just explain that funda & it should be ok.
Old 27th May 2009, 17:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

I suffer from horrible understeer, and would gladly put the new tyres in the back any day
Old 27th May 2009, 18:04   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91 View Post
But then in the wet dont all tires have to be good? whether front or back. Since one will give way earlier?
It mainly has to do with oversteer according to the experts. They say better tyres at the rear means the car will understeer and is easier to control. Not necessarily while braking. But if the new tyres are at the front, then it will lead to oversteer which is more difficult to control.

It is not just that article. I have read quite a few more on the web, but those were more of forum posts and I didnt take it seriously. Then I also happened to read Michelin India's guide to tyres( a small pamphlet kinda thingy) and there also, it is recommended that the new tyres go to the back.

Quote:
What if you tell them that the new tires need a little running-in, before they are given the big job of controlling the vehicle's direction & movement etc ?

I know they can go & tell the same to others, and this white-lie can have a boomerang effect on you. But you can also try qualifying that by saying that any manufacturing defects /issues present will crop up on the rear tyres, which is safer. (And that the wty can cover such manufacturing defects. Disclaimers regarding what is not covered will be in order)
@condor --- that would mostly work with ignorant Indians. But by chance if I say that to a TBHPian who I dont know is from the forum, it will be quite a big embarassment!
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2009, 19:42   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nikhilb2008 : .. But by chance if I say that to a TBHPian who I dont know is from the forum, it will be quite a big embarassment!
The break-in can be valid for anything, actually. And when you start speaking to a customer, you do get an idea of where he stands .. right ? T-BHPian or not.

And just redirect him back to this thread & Tire Rack !
Old 27th May 2009, 19:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

This thread has come at a good time. Our Senior delivery manager was talking about the tyres on his palio 1.2. He needs to change a pair. He did not tell me which one.
That brings me to the following questions:
1) Is a Palio FWD?
2) If so then the new pair should go to the rear right? Or regardless the new ones go to the rear is it ?
Some inputs will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed