Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2017, 11:05   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Where to Install a New Pair of Tyres? Front or rear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@vigsom; afaik as per the Michelin recos you need the new(er) tyres in the
True, @sgiitk.

I recommended the switch because the front tyres had only done 6k kms.
Old 7th September 2017, 11:09   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@vigsom; afaik as per the Michelin recos you need the new(er) tyres in the rear. This is recommended since you must provide better stability and avoid aquaplaning.
Isn't aquaplaning caused by the front (steering) tyres losing grip and the car losing direction/steering control? Then the new tyres must go in the front, no?

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th March 2018 at 17:01. Reason: Please avoid Quoting Youtube links in replies. Thanks.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 13:14   #78
BHPian

Quote:
@vigsom; afaik as per the Michelin recos you need the new(er) tyres in the rear. This is recommended since you must provide better stability and avoid aquaplaning.
Sir,

I have never experienced aquaplaning in real life. I have driven on almost all types of roads(No roads) except snow covered ones. Maybe its because I always drive below 100KMPH mark and in rains I never cross 60KMPH.

I have experienced 2 tyre burst incident during last 2 years. Fortunately, nobody was hurt.

At the first time, my FR tyre was burst on a 4 lane highway(Ahmedabad to Mahesana), it was very difficult to control the car and to come to a halt. Somehow I managed not to lose control, but I was unable to talk properly for a few minutes.

At the second time, My RL tyre was blown on a 2 lane highway(Diu to Bhavnagar) but I didnot face any handling issues. I could easily control the car and pulled over.

So the odds of sudden tyre burst outweigh the odds of aquaplaning (strictly my opinion).

Apart from aquaplaning, is there any other problem that can arise?

Last edited by Ry_der : 7th September 2017 at 13:22.
Ry_der is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 13:56   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry_der View Post
Please help.

I have a 6000KM old pair of MRF ZV2Ks in the front and a 72000KM old pair of Bridgestone S322 in the rear. I will be replacing the S322s with a new pair of ZV2Ks(Limited budget). One of my rear tyres has developed minor cracks. A really long drive is due next month(1500KMs).

As I drive a FWD car, will it be wise to install the new pair at front and move the current front to the rear? Current ZV2K treads are as good as new. My car also has a CNG cylinder weighing ~70KG in its boot.

Please advice.
Good Approach.

The front is where the fresh rubber should be. (For a FWD)
The fronts take care of power delivery, steering control, face maximum pressure during braking. Hence, they need to be in shape.
Even the axle load at the front is much more than on the rear tyres.

You can get away with poor tyres at Back, but not at the Front.
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 09:27   #80
Senior - BHPian

An interesting experimentation by this guy quite relevant to the discussion

Old 2nd March 2018, 19:35   #81
BHPian

I personally feel that front tires should be better one, though this video says otherwise.
Old 2nd March 2018, 22:37   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozhissery View Post
I personally feel that front tires should be better one, though this video says otherwise.
Sorry, but you feel wrong.

Every single technical video on the internet made by any company/organisation of repute says opposite.

Why would you think your feeling is correct over all these experts who have proven it again and again?
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2018, 12:21   #83
BANNED

I will personally work with the theory that the tyre makers know best. Even more so when major makers like Michelin say so. If all say the same then the argument is closed.
Old 6th March 2018, 16:58   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Sorry, but you feel wrong.

Every single technical video on the internet made by any company/organisation of repute says opposite.

Why would you think your feeling is correct over all these experts who have proven it again and again?

Oh I just mentioned that I've felt so and not contradicting anybody.
In my scooter i lose confidence if the front tyre is bald and i tend to change it asap (I don't swap/rotate tyres in scooter at fixed intervals as in car).
As for car I don't wait till it goes bald and till today I've changed all 4 tyres in one go and do rotate at every 10K. So i'm not in a position to comment on that.
kozhissery is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2018, 17:10   #85
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozhissery View Post
In my scooter i lose confidence if the front tyre is bald and i tend to change it asap (I don't swap/rotate tyres in scooter at fixed intervals as in car).
Two wheelers will have very vague handling with a bald tyre in front, hence people prefer to have that feeling of safety and use new tyres at front. But the fact remains same for two wheelers also, since chances of rear tyre loosing traction is more when wet with bad tyre up front. Also having better tyres will give the "False" impression of road and can be quiet disastrous in two wheelers.

In short logic is simple for both cars and two wheelers, front axle has direct steering as well as better braking capabilities. Rather have that alert to keep things under limits Vs pushing ahead with a false sense of assurance.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2018, 17:14   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Two wheelers will have very vague handling with a bald tyre in front, hence people prefer to have that feeling of safety and use new tyres at front. But the fact remains same for two wheelers also, since chances of rear tyre loosing traction is more when wet with bad tyre up front. Also having better tyres will give the "False" impression of road and can be quiet disastrous in two wheelers.

In short logic is simple for both cars and two wheelers, front axle has direct steering as well as better braking capabilities. Rather have that alert to keep things under limits Vs pushing ahead with a false sense of assurance.

Thanks a lot Jaggu. Which means now I'll have to always change both the tyres of my Activa (which usually I don't do).

Team-bhp Rocks !!!
Old 6th September 2021, 12:44   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry_der View Post
Sir,

I have never experienced aquaplaning in real life. I have driven on almost all types of roads(No roads) except snow covered ones. Maybe its because I always drive below 100KMPH mark and in rains I never cross 60KMPH.

I have experienced 2 tyre burst incident during last 2 years. Fortunately, nobody was hurt.

At the first time, my FR tyre was burst on a 4 lane highway(Ahmedabad to Mahesana), it was very difficult to control the car and to come to a halt. Somehow I managed not to lose control, but I was unable to talk properly for a few minutes.

At the second time, My RL tyre was blown on a 2 lane highway(Diu to Bhavnagar) but I didnot face any handling issues. I could easily control the car and pulled over.

So the odds of sudden tyre burst outweigh the odds of aquaplaning (strictly my opinion).

Apart from aquaplaning, is there any other problem that can arise?
There is no doubt that in the case of aquaplaning, it will be better if we have the best tyre at the rear axle.
What about tyre burst case ??
I have a tyre with a little cut on the sidewall. Where should I put this tyre ( FR, FL or RL or RR) assuming I will not drive on a wet surface.

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks