Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2015, 08:29   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Different makes for front and back tyres?

Keep tyres of similar age & wear in pairs - front / back.
While he could get a different set for either front or back, the best /optimal solution is to get 4 new tyres.
If his current tyres are not too worn out, and no un-even wear / punctures / side-wall damages, then he can expect a small discount in exchange of his old tyres.

I am currently in a similar situation, and need to replace 2 tyres at least. But the JK vectra's are 3.5 yrs old, and a little noisy. Hence planning to dump the entire set and get some Earth-1.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 10:30   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suchit23 View Post
So my friend who owns an SX4 had terrible ride issues suddenly with the steering vibrating significantly even at low speeds. As it turned out one of his stock JK Vectra tyres had its sidewall damaged. When they switched that with the Stepney all is well.

Now for long term he needs to buy a new tyre or probably a couple. And surely he doesn't want to buy the JK but probably a Michelin or Bridgestone. So the question is if it is OK to have a different make of tyres in front as opposed to back with the same specs? The stock spec is 205/60 R16.

Or any other better suggestions to deal with the situation? And any suggestions for a good tyre as such for the given specs and car?
Ideally all four tyres have to be of the same make. But sometimes, due to various scenarios, some might have to face situations like what your friend is facing. In that case, make sure the tyres are made of similar compounds; by that I mean, don't run comfort oriented tyres(eg: Yoko C-Drives) at the front and sporty tyres at the back(eg: Michelin Pilot Sport).

Read about what sort of tyre JK Vectra is, and find something similar on Bridgestone or Goodyear, both are reputed brands and you cannot go wrong with either of them.
CliffHanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 10:46   #63
BHPian

Cardinal rule. If you're in a situation where you've to change front tyre, you change both of them and replace with two of the same brand. No experiments at the front. On the rear, you can use two of different brands without any harm.

Last edited by Swapnil4585 : 20th July 2015 at 10:52.
Swapnil4585 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 13:40   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Where to Install a New Pair of Tyres? Front or rear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTrippin View Post
Only just seeing this thread, before convincing most indians, you should start with your staff maybe? Just today, they recommended i put the new Michelins in the front and the older stock Goodyears at the back
Well, someone's going to get a hurt real bad then!
Old 6th August 2015, 11:05   #65
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 15th August 2015 at 09:27.
vorajay is offline   Received Infraction
Old 25th November 2015, 20:46   #66
BHPian

Currently Maruti ASS has been rotating all 5 tyres of mine every 5K kms. This was to make sure that all the tyres wear out evenly.
This leaves me with a question now - How many tyres do I need to buy when there isn't enough tread on my tyres? Do I need to buy a set of 2 tyres and use them at the rear (which would obviously cause issues in next 5K km when it is rotated leaving one new at the front and one at the rear) or should I buy a complete set of 4 tyres?
Old 17th February 2016, 17:34   #67
BHPian

I have a question related to tire change - I have a swift Dzire which has run 35000 kms and the stepney hasn't been changed/ used even once. Even while doing the tire rotation, I forgot to ask MASS to rotate the stepney and hence my stepney is unused. The question is - can I use this tire now as one of the 4 main tires? If yes, where - front or back? If no, why? I do a lot of highway runs on triple digit speeds so need a suggestion according to that.
Thanks in anticipation.
Old 17th February 2016, 17:57   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungSaint View Post
I have a question related to tire change - I have a swift Dzire which has run 35000 kms and the stepney hasn't been changed/ used even once. Even while doing the tire rotation, I forgot to ask MASS to rotate the stepney and hence my stepney is unused. The question is - can I use this tire now as one of the 4 main tires? If yes, where - front or back? If no, why? I do a lot of highway runs on triple digit speeds so need a suggestion according to that.
Thanks in anticipation.
Put the spare tyre on the right rear wheel and that tyre as the spare.

Reference:http://www.bridgestone.com.au/lib/im...e_Rotation.pdf
Old 18th February 2016, 16:13   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Put the spare tyre on the right rear wheel and that tyre as the spare.
Thanks for the reply but is using the stepney tire still advisable when it has not even run 1 single KM and the other 3 tires would be 35000+ km old? Should I be concerned about safety issues?
Old 18th February 2016, 17:13   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reply but is using the stepney tire still advisable when it has not even run 1 single KM and the other 3 tires would be 35000+ km old? Should I be concerned about safety issues?
Your Swift D'zire is a 2014 model, so the spare tyre is not very old, and is definitely usable. Its perfectly fine to use the same even when you have not run even 1 km on it as opposed to the other 3 tyres with 35k kms.

Ideally, your tyres should have been rotated every 5000 kms and your spare should have been a part of that rotation, but nevertheless, its not too late to start using the spare even now.

No safety concerns since the rubber is not very old, and hence should be perfectly fine to use.
Old 18th February 2016, 17:42   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a question related to tire change - I have a swift Dzire which has run 35000 kms and the stepney hasn't been changed/ used even once........................The question is - can I use this tire now as one of the 4 main tires? If yes, where - front or back? If no, why? I do a lot of highway runs on triple digit speeds so need a suggestion according to that.
Thanks in anticipation.
Are your other four tyres evenly worn, or one of them is damaged. Tyres are supposed to have a shelf life of 6 years, but it is better off to change them a bit earlier. If you've done 35000 in less than 2 Yrs, you will wear off your tyres within the four year period. If one of the other four tyres is damaged or worn more, replace it by a new tyre, preferably of same make, and use the new pare at the rear. otherwise keep it to the right rear, and when next rotation is due, do the normal 4 tyre rotation, but the front LH which is to come to Rear RH will become spare, and spare will come to Front RH where rear RH is supposed to go.

I usually follow a 5 tyre rotation, and if I damage a tyre, use the spare in its place, and a brand new tyre as a spare and then 4 tyre rotation then onward. If a second is damaged prematurely, then another new tyre, and both new to the rear.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 15:03   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
Are your other four tyres evenly worn, or one of them is damaged. Tyres are supposed to have a shelf life of 6 years, but it is better off to change them a bit earlier.
============
I usually follow a 5 tyre rotation, and if I damage a tyre, use the spare in its place, and a brand new tyre as a spare and then 4 tyre rotation then onward. If a second is damaged prematurely, then another new tyre, and both new to the rear.

Rahul
Thanks Rahul for the detailed info. All my 4 current tires are evenly worn and none has any damage. I was a little worried about traction difference due to the new tire. As stated earlier, I have around 75% run on the highway with 100+ KMPH cruising - that is why I was a little worried as I have heard that traction difference can cause the car to behave erratically in an emergency situation. Anyway, I would do the tire rotation as told by you and continue the highway runs.
Old 7th September 2017, 08:29   #73
BHPian

Please help.

I have a 6000KM old pair of MRF ZV2Ks in the front and a 72000KM old pair of Bridgestone S322 in the rear. I will be replacing the S322s with a new pair of ZV2Ks(Limited budget). One of my rear tyres has developed minor cracks. A really long drive is due next month(1500KMs).

As I drive a FWD car, will it be wise to install the new pair at front and move the current front to the rear? Current ZV2K treads are as good as new. My car also has a CNG cylinder weighing ~70KG in its boot.

Please advice.
Ry_der is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 08:43   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Please put the new pair in the front and the 6k run tyres in the rear.

You've extracted enough from the s322.
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 10:37   #75
BANNED

@vigsom; afaik as per the Michelin recos you need the new(er) tyres in the rear. This is recommended since you must provide better stability and avoid aquaplaning.

sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks