Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2010, 17:28   #31
Senior - BHPian

You have disc brakes 'Only' in the front, 70% of braking happens due to the front tyres Steering in the front, power transmitted from the fronts but still 'new tyres should go at the back' ?

How many times are we going to go around a round about like the above video shows ?

We are going to be braking way more than we are going to be turning like the video showed and since 70% of the braking is done by the front, bald tyres at the front will automatically lead to the car not stopping or not turning due to a sudden obstacle for starters

There wont be no front end left in the first place to manoeuvre the slipping out rear end.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2010, 17:33   #32
Senior - BHPian

Frankly, both options are dangerous. Its best to avoid mixing old and new tyres.

Shan2nu
Old 1st August 2010, 00:54   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
A very illuminating comment. I do remember that with rwd cars the new tyres went into the rear. I did not know that this hlods for fwd as well. It forced me to think a bit and what i came up with is:

The logic of new tyres in the rear can be explained in another way. In a near skid situation if the rear end end breaks first then you have an oversteer situation, which in all but the best experts hands can be dangerous. Hence have the older tyres in the front, then the rear end stays put and the first break in grip is from the front. Also, as you approach loss of traction there is normally a warning in the steering become lighter. So newer tyres, i.e. better traction should be in the rear.
I agree 100%, will always prefer understeer out of the two
Old 15th September 2010, 22:55   #34
BHPian

Hello every body. I want to put 2 new tyres for my WagonR Lxi (2006 model, >40000 kms) as 2 of the tyres (front left and rear left) have worn out. My mechanic advised me to put them in the front. I request my fellow BHPians to guide me on
1. Which company tyres should i buy
2. Tyre specifications
3. Where should I mount them- front or rear.
4. Approximate cost
5. Where to buy in Hyderabad

The other tyres are about a year old (Good Year and JK)

Thanks in advance
Old 15th September 2010, 23:27   #35
Senior - BHPian

Oh , I just got to this thread in time.
Today went to get my car's wheel balanced and aligned. I also asked them to rotate the wheels(stepney including). They checked the stepney and said it's in good condition and looks new, actually it has run around 150-200kms at the most, when I had the puncture.
That guy advised me to run the stepney next time in case of puncture for more than 1000kms in order that the tyre sets in and have some normal wear.
He also strongly advised me to put the stepney only at the rear as it is as good as new.
so looks like some people already know it.
Old 31st October 2012, 09:33   #36
BHPian

Re: Where to Install a New Pair of Tyres? Front or rear?

I had my left front XM1+ tire cut this morning. Stopped the vehicle and changed to spare tyre.

Got it verified with Michelin guys, they are suggesting a tyre change.

My concern, i have used the current ones for close to 40k kms with tyre rotations including the spare at 5k kms interval. Life on the tyre is still about 25k kms. With the new tyre if i purchase will there be uneven wear and tear? If yes, how do I manage without a spare :(

Am I left with no choice but to buy 5 new ones or buy 1 new one and always use it as spare or can I get a decent seconds XM1+ with still some life left in it.

These tyres are 2 yrs old and the Michilen guy suggests these can be easily used for another 25k kms. The thread wearout reading was between 5 and 5.5 on all five. New tyres come between 7 to 7.5 and tyre replacements are suggested when the threads wearout from 2.5 - 3.

Correct me if I am wrong please. Where do i get a spare tyre for sale of XM1+ in bangalore?

Please suggest
Old 31st October 2012, 09:48   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
Correct me if I am wrong please. Where do i get a spare tyre for sale of XM1+ in bangalore?
hello deepak, you can find plenty of half used tyres of the same size and similar wear at any small tyre shops. or you can go to a small town nearby, a lot of people sell discarded tyres in smaller cities.
but finding an XM1+ might require a bit of searching. if you dont want the trouble, youll have to buy 2 new ones.
Old 31st October 2012, 09:59   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
Where do i get a spare tyre for sale of XM1+ in bangalore?
Look around in tyre shops. When you have the time, stop by at the puncture repair shops

One place is in a street opposite to (towards north) the Wilson Gardens Police station. The guy sells used alloys too.
Old 31st October 2012, 10:44   #39
BHPian

This is a very interesting thread. My take on this topic:

If you have a vehicle with ABS, you most likely have a Disc Brake setup in the front and Drum Brakes at the rear.

Now, with comparatively more used tyres in the front, the braking quality will be lower, and perhaps the ABS will need to do more work. But the ABS may also end up releasing the rear tyres, due to poorer braking at the front, leading to overall poor braking?

In the other scenario, with newer tyres in front, the ABS will do a normal job, leading to a lower breaking distance, with no large impact of the used tyres in the rear?

I had put new tyres in the front for my Swift, and could always note the ABS kick-in on hard braking.

Comments please, or have I got the ABS concept incorrect altogether?
Old 31st October 2012, 12:12   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
This is a very interesting thread. My take on this topic:

If you have a vehicle with ABS, you most likely have a Disc Brake setup in the front and Drum Brakes at the rear.

Now, with comparatively more used tyres in the front, the braking quality will be lower, and perhaps the ABS will need to do more work. But the ABS may also end up releasing the rear tyres, due to poorer braking at the front, leading to overall poor braking?

In the other scenario, with newer tyres in front, the ABS will do a normal job, leading to a lower breaking distance, with no large impact of the used tyres in the rear?

I had put new tyres in the front for my Swift, and could always note the ABS kick-in on hard braking.

Comments please, or have I got the ABS concept incorrect altogether?
I think ABS selectively applies the brakes where it is needed.
So if i'm correct ABS will kick in faster on the more worn out tyres without affecting the performance of the newer ones

With better tyres in the front, you will have better grip levels on the front of the car [weight transfer to the front and all during braking], but the rear end of the car will have next to no grip.
Old 31st October 2012, 12:36   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
I think ABS selectively applies the brakes where it is needed.
So if i'm correct ABS will kick in faster on the more worn out tyres without affecting the performance of the newer ones

With better tyres in the front, you will have better grip levels on the front of the car [weight transfer to the front and all during braking], but the rear end of the car will have next to no grip.
Hi Sprucegoose, In that case, would the ABS not kick-in for the rear tyres to ensure proper braking? This seems to be a vicious circle.
Old 31st October 2012, 14:00   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by envyravi View Post
I want to put 2 new tyres for my WagonR Lxi (2006 model, >40000 kms) as 2 of the tyres (front left and rear left) have worn out. My mechanic advised me to put them in the front.
It is the left which sees more wear.

I also used to think that in a fwd car the front wheels are the ones which should be changed first. Then the Michelin Video (I have posted links many times, and you can search on youtube for it) convinced me that the new tyres must always go in the rear.
Old 31st October 2012, 14:08   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
Hi Sprucegoose, In that case, would the ABS not kick-in for the rear tyres to ensure proper braking? This seems to be a vicious circle.
Maybe.. no clue.. but if ABS was active on all 4 tyres there would be no need for EBD..
Maybe it's only active on the front 2 tyres?

Now even if ABS is on all 4 wheels independently, then yes good tyres on the front will improve braking only, but while taking turns the car will tend to Over steer rather than under steer...

It's easier to control an under steer.
Old 5th May 2014, 17:14   #44
BHPian

Where should the new replacement tyre be fitted after a tyre blowout

My Alto K10's left front tyre suffered a blowout a couple of months back near Hosur on one of the many diversions on NH7 on the way from Chennai to Bangalore when the tyre hit a huge pothole.
Fortunately, the car was at a low speed (around 30kmph) and my dad who was driving managed to stop it immediately.

I am planning to get a new one of the same model and size as the other four(MRF zv2k 155/65 R13) to replace the blown out one and I am not sure where to fit the new ones.
The other four tyres have run around 15,000 kms and are around 2.5 years old.

Should the new one be used as the spare tyre or can I use it as the left front?

One more thing to note was that hardly 10 minutes after our car hit the pothole, there was another Octavia that hit the same pot hole and suffered a front left tyre blow out as well!
Old 28th June 2014, 21:16   #45
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic Maintenance and Service Costs and Must dos

There is a bulge on my Civic's tyre (Bridgestone Turanza 195 65 R 15 tubeless) , do i need to get the tyre replaced or is there any other solution? If it needs replacement can i just buy 2 new tyres for front and use other tyres for rear by discarding just the bulged tyre? And any leads on cost of new tyre?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks