Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2010, 09:37   #1
BHPian

Single tyre change..Advisable or not?

Hello all

So my Wagon R's right front tyre developed some defect due to the towing by Noida police (a different story all together) . I have now decided to change that single tyre but wanted to clear some doubts with the help of you knowledgeable people

1. AFAIK OEM tyre's life is around 40K kms. Mine has run about 35K till date and these days the commute is not much so it will take a looong time to cover the rest of 5K kms. So the question is that does it make sense to get one tyre replaced right now OR replace all the fours. I will not get any buyback on tyres (obviously after 35K kms) but as they still have some life in them, does it make sense to continue with the rest of 3 for some time being.

2. If you do advise to go ahead with single tyre change, will it affect the stability of the car as the other 3 tyres are worn out and doesnt have the same thickness (umm..whats the correct technical term here?)

3. Any suggestion for tyre size which will go well with OEM tyres. Additionally any recommended shop in Noida for tyre purchase?

The reason for (apparent) penny pinching and not going for upgrade of all the 4 tyres is that I am trying to get my startup going and dont want to put money until its absolutely necessary.

Hoping to get some quick responses (got to make the purchase this weekend only)

Regards
Nishant
Old 1st May 2010, 13:25   #2
BHPian

Buy a used tyre, you will have to look around a bit to get a good deal. Then you can change all four at a later date.
Old 1st May 2010, 13:56   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityamunshi View Post
Buy a used tyre, you will have to look around a bit to get a good deal. Then you can change all four at a later date.

Well this is the last option for me as I dont really know how to gauge remaining life of the second hand tyre being sold to me.

In the meantime I am searching through the forum for any further info regarding tyre upgrade.

Any more suggestions are welcome
Old 1st May 2010, 13:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

nishant if you can afford it, buy two new tyres and put them in the front of the car. of the remaining used two decent one s in the rear and one for th espare wheel. Discard one bad one and another which is the worst of the 4. I think you should have posted this in the tyres section. Anyway check in that section which is a good brand and what to look for i.e date of manufacturer speed rating etc..
regards
Old 1st May 2010, 14:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

Send a PM to Nikhilb2008. He will be able to help you out.
Old 1st May 2010, 16:22   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
nishant if you can afford it, buy two new tyres and put them in the front of the car. of the remaining used two decent one s in the rear and one for th espare wheel. Discard one bad one and another which is the worst of the 4. I think you should have posted this in the tyres section. Anyway check in that section which is a good brand and what to look for i.e date of manufacturer speed rating etc..
regards
That is the last option for me if I dont find a cheaper way Actually went and asked for a second hand tyre and was quoted a price of 600 rs. The only problem is that I dont know how to judge the worth of second hand tyre..

I am in a bit of dillema and If nothing comes up soon then will have to go for the more expensive option of getting 2 new front tyres. One question regarding that is , will it affect the dynamics of the car if the front tyre's profile is different than the rear ones.

Nishant
Old 1st May 2010, 16:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

I would also suggest changing 2 tires only in the front & use the good one as standby. Did you say that your tires lasted for 35K? I'd to change them at 28K, so consider yourself lucky.
Old 1st May 2010, 16:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

Since you plan on changing the tyres after 5K kms, it would be ideal to buy a 2nd hand tyre with similar wear as the other 3.

Once all 4 have worn out, you can go in for a complete set.

Buying 2 new tyres doesn't make much sense coz there will be an imbalance in traction (especially in wet conditions). Moreover, even if you upgrade the other 2 later, there will still be that 5k km diff between the 2 pairs. Not worth it!

PS : MODS, THIS THREAD NEEDS TO BE MOVED TO THE TYRE SECTION.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 1st May 2010 at 17:15.
Old 1st May 2010, 17:00   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

If the front right tyre is usable for short distances at slow speeds, swap it with the spare and continue to run on the spare. The defective tyre can do emergency duty if at all required.
Old 1st May 2010, 17:15   #10
BHPian

Thanks for the response

I have gotten the following quotes during my survey today

1. Used tyre: 600rs

2. Yoko A drive : 165 70 R13 for 2500 each

3. Michelin Energy XM: 2800 ( same profile as above)

4. Bridgestone, JK tyres etc. at 2050 rs Apiece

could anyone tell me whether these are decent quotes. I am personally inclined towards A drive as I dont know about the quality of used tyre ( as mentioned earlier)

Thanks
Old 1st May 2010, 17:22   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
If the front right tyre is usable for short distances at slow speeds, swap it with the spare and continue to run on the spare. The defective tyre can do emergency duty if at all required.
This is the best option in my opinion too.
Old 1st May 2010, 21:41   #12
BHPian

Well this is just an update.. I bought Yoko A drives 165 70 R13 for both the front wheels and wow!!! I have read about the difference it can make to the ride but you have to really experience it.. I never thought that Wagon R can be so stable and so smooth. And this is just the first run. Imagine what will happen after 100kms when they come into their element.

All in all I am extremely happy with my purchase and although it costed me 5100 for 2 tyres, its worth it.

Oh and thanks a lot for your advice
Nishant B is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2010, 23:28   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishant B View Post
1. Used tyre: 600rs
2. Yoko A drive : 165 70 R13 for 2500 each
3. Michelin Energy XM: 2800 ( same profile as above)
4. Bridgestone, JK tyres etc. at 2050 rs Apiece

could anyone tell me whether these are decent quotes. I am personally inclined towards A drive as I dont know about the quality of used tyre ( as mentioned earlier)
Seems to me like a decent money; I remember paying around 2.3K for Goodyear 165/70R13 about 2 years back.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2010, 17:09   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityamunshi View Post
I realise the OP has already made his decision, but this is for anyone else reading the thread : DO NOT BUY USED TYRES. That palm-sized tyre patch is your only contact with the road. No one knows the history of used tyres. Plus, new tyres aren't all that expensive. Buy ONLY fresh new tyres for your car...your life is well worth it.

In an emergency, and if your tyre is damaged, you may use the spare instead.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2010, 17:47   #15
BHPian

Well it seems that I missed out on a crucial piece of information (My bad) in the current scenario that my spare tyre was also damaged. So the otherwise intelligent option of changing the damaged tyre with the spare one was not applicable in this particular case.

Now that I have changed the tyres, I just came to realize that in the unlikely event of having a puncture in the front tubeless ones, the spare tyre which is of different profile, will have to be used.

My concern is that will it affect the stability of the car while driving down to the next puncturewallah ( in my opinion it should NOT as the height of the tyres is same but your assurance is welcome and needed)

Moreover, I was told by some people that having the front tyres of different profiles will result in the them getting worn out pretty soon along with the usual stability issue . Is it true because if it is, then I will have to incur extra expense of changing rest of the 3 tyres also (Damn those tow-away cranes ) . If you do advise to change the rest of the three tyres, how much I can go on with the current combination before it becomes essential to go ahead with the purchase.

Your advice is very much needed

Thanks
Nishant

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks