Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2010, 09:01   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
a lot of road noise (mild drumming, humming etc) being transmitted inside the cabin.
My i10, normally an extremely quiet car with the windows up emits a similar extremely deep baritone - definitely from the underfloor and nowhere else. The sound is an extremely low pitched whine/hum, and can get extremely bothersome.
I'm not sure if this is Tyre Noise, Or Suspension Noise, Or even air turbulence beneath the car; But I am certain it comes from the floor of the car - and at all speeds above 40-50 km/hr.

I've had limited success in reducing (but not eliminating) the sound by damping my footmats - did so simply by sticking a sheet of Butyl Rubber beneath them to make them stiffer and able to damp the sound - works fairly well, cuts the sound to about 30% of the original - which is quite acceptable overall.

Lets hope that this thread is able to identify the actual reason for this noise

Cheers
Old 4th July 2010, 10:49   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
uneven wear, feathering and bald patches can cause loud noise. This has a harsh tone while compared to the humming seen in hard compound. Solution replace your tyres. Cross axle tyre rotation may help temporarily.
this is exactly what i'm going through with my getz it has done 32k and list of side affects of the noice keeps going and going
Old 4th July 2010, 13:04   #33
BHPian

How about KUMHO !!

My Brother in Law recently got the tyres replaced in his Swift VDi to KUMHO (185/R14). I never heard of them before I saw in his car. I drove his car for about 100 Kms on HIGHWAY and believe me I never felt so comfortable under my bums before (may be because my Swift LXi has JKs ) also there was very very less noise inside the cabin (his ICE was not working on that day).

@akshay4587 : Though I have only 100kms experience on KUMHOs, I would still like you to check on them as well.

If anybody here is using KUMHOs in his car , I would like to know what is their long term view on it . I am also planning to change mine, thanks in advance if someone can post view/reviews about them in Swift.
Old 5th July 2010, 02:02   #34
BHPian

Ah, tyre noise is something i have to live with every day. I have a 2002 Lancer with (believe this) tyres from 2002,. They have gone rock hard and I have an absolute din inside the cabin with my ICE keeping the tyre noise out. Thankfully, i got me a KnN installed which makes the tyre noise less noticeable :P. I am looking at Yoko or PP3 or PP2 in a 205/55/R15 or 215/50/R16 config which i am hoping will make my life happier.....

OT: wrt Kumho: From what i have heard informally, their tires are of 2 types. One which will given you a pliant, comfy ride with decent grip for about 25K kms with city and 'good' highway riding and then begin to fade out very fast, and one which will give you a hard, harsh ride in the city/highway but be pretty good
in the 'less than good roads (read semi-rural)' but last you quite a while (read upwards of 40K kms) . This, of course, seemed strange to me but thats the general impression i have been given of Kumho.
Old 5th July 2010, 10:26   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
Dear Navan, Michelin 175 65 R14 costs 4080 rs in chennai. I plan to either go for the yokos r the michelins. The cost difference is close to 800 bucks with yokos 175 65 R14 being 3200/300 rs. I had enquired this in LAL in royapetta. I also plan to change the rims to alloys. Had a look at HRS - full black with red lip.

Let me know if you have plans to change, we can ask for discounts.

Guys,

Being a Michelin loyalist, I run Michelin Pilot Primacy's on my Civic AT - brilliant tyres for grip and performance but noisy. I found Goodyear's less noisy but crappy grip levels.

My Scorpio is now running on Yokohama AT Geolandars and though I would say that they are not quite as grippy as the previous Michelin LTX AT's, they are less noisy. (I had bought Yoko's @ 50k kms when I changed my tyres and alloys as Michelin did not have a proper AT tyre in R16 at that time.) Both sets of tyres were/are very comfortable and durable.

I also have an observation to make - I live on the ECR in Chennai, which has relatively smooth and well-laid roads but have noticed that the tyre noise varies drastically from one stretch of road to another; so I dare -say that the quality of the road surface, even if smooth to the naked eye, plays a big role in the noise factor.

I always thought that harder compounds and deeper treads added to tyre noise but my experience is that even softer compound tyres like Michelins do make noise. I'm guessing a lot of other factors like road conditions and surfaces also play a big role.

I used to notice that at certain times when the driving at higher speeds in my Scorpio on AT tyres, the tyre noise level would be audibly higher, so I think that even wind-speed funneling through the higher treads could also play a role. But I'm just guessing!!

@ MutantX - Bro, if you're going to Lal's @ Lloyds road, speak to Navratan - he is knowledgeable and you can bargain slightly - but only slightly.

Better to get a comparative quote from elsewhere and then go there - he is a touch pricey but his services are very good - have been a client of his for years and absolutely no complaints. If you need any help just pm me.
Old 5th July 2010, 14:56   #36
BHPian

Hi,

Its seems all the brands have this issue.

I am planning to get Conti CPC2, any idea about their noise level?
Old 5th July 2010, 16:04   #37
Senior - BHPian

I don't like tyres that are completely silent. I like to listen to my tyres and engine, and sometimes switch of the ICE to do so!
Old 7th July 2010, 11:40   #38
BHPian

My Getz Prime has the same problem after running for 12 K kms.

I also beleive parking under the sun on a daily basis hardens the tyre.

I was parking in the open parking in my office daily for 8-10 hrs and then I found out that the typre did stated making more sound, I mean the humming increased. Now I have taken a covered parking. The humming sound remains and is more substantial at high speed (above 80 kmph).
Old 7th July 2010, 11:43   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misguided View Post
Hi,

Its seems all the brands have this issue.

I am planning to get Conti CPC2, any idea about their noise level?
Have been using CPC2 for almost 17000 kms on Swift D.
Very good grip and performance. Much less tyre noise as well.

I am very happy with its performance in summer/winter/rainy. Driving in wet conditions is very good with CPC2. (Just my opinion)
Old 7th July 2010, 15:42   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvadips View Post
My Getz Prime has the same problem after running for 12 K kms.

I also beleive parking under the sun on a daily basis hardens the tyre.

I was parking in the open parking in my office daily for 8-10 hrs and then I found out that the typre did stated making more sound, I mean the humming increased. Now I have taken a covered parking. The humming sound remains and is more substantial at high speed (above 80 kmph).
i'm sorry to say this. This is the beginning of the end for you. My Getz started it like yours now it has aggreviated to higher stages. i get unbarably loud at 60kmph itself. I would suggest you, if possible, exchange the tyres if you get a good deal on them.
Old 8th July 2010, 16:02   #41
BHPian

I have had similar problems with the Good Years in my ANHC. I complained a lot to the Honda guys for noises of the tires and all but finally they said they cant do much about it. Infact I told them to replace my tires with Michelin XM1 which is the other tire which comes company fitted from Honda for the ANHC, which they declined. Now I have no choice but to keep these tires.
Though I was advised by some service person to fill less air in the tires, which has really helped me get rid of the jerks which I was getting in the rear when I was filling air by company advised specification
Old 8th July 2010, 16:48   #42
BHPian

Check alignement, and rotate tyres if it's due.
I did noticed change in tyre noise (reduction) after recent alignment.
I am on XM1+ now.
A lot better then earlier stock, Pirelli All weather net. They were like carrying a background noise wherever you go.
Old 8th July 2010, 16:56   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Prince, XM1 are a lot noisy and XM1+ has improved in this aspect.
Yeah! I know! I have XM1+ on the zen and Yokos on the Lancer.
Another thing could be some inspection of cabin and engine bay partition for any holes or damaged rubber bushings through which the road noise must be seeping in. Damping is again one of the solutions to keep the racket out of the cabin.
Old 8th July 2010, 21:47   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhrer View Post
i'm sorry to say this. This is the beginning of the end for you. My Getz started it like yours now it has aggreviated to higher stages. i get unbarably loud at 60kmph itself. I would suggest you, if possible, exchange the tyres if you get a good deal on them.
This is a exact thread i was looking for. My Getz Prime has run 15k kms, The GoodYear GT3 tyres do not show any signs of tread loss. I get all sort of noises from mere 10km/hr. Starts like a mixiee, then a grinder, then above 50 its a Jet engine noise. I got all 4 bearings checked, I did not believe the garage guy as he said tyre noise, my older Bridgestone s322 in Accent produce Zero noise compared to the Getz.

Dont these manifacturers test the tyres, how can they deliver such sub standard products.
Old 8th July 2010, 22:58   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
Have been using CPC2 for almost 17000 kms on Swift D.
Very good grip and performance. Much less tyre noise as well.

I am very happy with its performance in summer/winter/rainy. Driving in wet conditions is very good with CPC2. (Just my opinion)
Thanks blackstallion76!
Though I was already convinced about CPC2's handling & grip but was little apprehensive about their tyre noise levels. Will go for them shortly!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks