Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2015, 13:04   #61
BHPian

Re: Tyre Noise Inside the Cabin - Can we minimize it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
Hi bumping up a old thread as am looking for a solution to end the tyre noise that spoils my drive everyday for the past few days. The tyres are Bridgestone B290 changed just 1700kms before has started making loud noise that is very annoying. My regular alignment guy says I need to munch up another 1.5k to 2k Kms to get the noise reduced. He blames the tread pattern for the excessive noise. Is it true? I feel I should have stuck with B250 again as my vista came with factory fitted B250 tyres. BTW is excessive tyre noise covered under warranty?
check the date of manufacture in the tyre. it will be imprinted in the sidewall, chances are it could be a old stock that causes the tyre to harden up and increase road noise. tyre noise at such early stage is not acceptable. did you take the car on highway after tyre change ? these tyres get considerably harder after a highway drive. im not sure how driving for another 2000kms gonna help
Old 23rd January 2015, 13:51   #62
BANNED

Quote:
He blames the tread pattern for the excessive noise. Is it true? I feel I should have stuck with B250 again as my vista came with factory fitted B250 tyres. BTW is excessive tyre noise covered under warranty?
Can you post a few pictures of the tyres and sidewall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhrer View Post
I'm not sure how driving for another 2000kms gonna help
Generally tyres need some time to bed-in bit that is mostly 500-600 kms.

The alignment guy said that as they can get rid of the case due to tyre wear or some such reason.
Old 23rd January 2015, 14:16   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhrer View Post
check the date of manufacture in the tyre. it will be imprinted in the sidewall, chances are it could be a old stock that causes the tyre to harden up and increase road noise. tyre noise at such early stage is not acceptable. did you take the car on highway after tyre change ? these tyres get considerably harder after a highway drive. im not sure how driving for another 2000kms gonna help
Nope the tyres are from 44th week of 2014. I installed them on Dec 24th and drove to chennai from Coimbatore and came back on 31st Dec. The tyres were super silent during the trip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Can you post a few pictures of the tyres and sidewall.

Generally tyres need some time to bed-in bit that is mostly 500-600 kms.

The alignment guy said that as they can get rid of the case due to tyre wear or some such reason.
Will post the pics once I get back home.

No the tyres were bought at a Bridgestone Select store and the guy I visit regularly is from MRF.

I've been experiencing this tyre noise only for the past 150 Kms or so.

Last edited by smrtdvl : 23rd January 2015 at 14:18.
Old 23rd January 2015, 14:52   #64
BANNED

Quote:

Nope the tyres are from 44th week of 2014. I installed them on Dec 24th and drove to chennai from Coimbatore and came back on 31st Dec. The tyres were super silent during the trip.
Any unusual thing that happened in the trip?

Do check the wheel cladding once to rule out the reason for noise.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 15:01   #65
BHPian

Quote:

I've been experiencing this tyre noise only for the past 150 Kms or so.
Re-check the tyre pressure and make sure they are not over-inflated.
interc00led is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2015, 05:16   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Any unusual thing that happened in the trip?

Do check the wheel cladding once to rule out the reason for noise.
Everything was fine for a couple of weeks after the trip. Will check the wheel cladding but would that cause so much noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
Re-check the tyre pressure and make sure they are not over-inflated.
Checked.

A visit to Bridgestone select shop is on the cards today as my client visit is postponed. Will update on the progress.

Last edited by smrtdvl : 24th January 2015 at 05:19.
smrtdvl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2015, 00:02   #67
BHPian

Bridgestone engineer checked my tyres and confirmed that the tyre noise was caused because of improper alignment. So took the car to another tyre alignment shop for wheel rotation and alignment. Now the noise has reduced since the front tyres are at the back but in order for the noise to completely disappear it will take another 1.5k to 2k Kms it seems.
smrtdvl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2015, 08:10   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Bridgestone engineer checked my tyres and confirmed that the tyre noise was caused because of improper alignment. So took the car to another tyre alignment shop for wheel rotation and alignment. Now the noise has reduced since the front tyres are at the back but in order for the noise to completely disappear it will take another 1.5k to 2k Kms it seems.
Glad to know the problem has been resolved. But this does point out the incompetency and bad service provided by the previous tyre shop. You can share the details and people can avoid going to that shop.

Anyway, enjoy your drives
Old 31st January 2015, 09:22   #69
BANNED

Quote:
Good that Bridgestone engineer looked into your case and found out the issue was with improper alignment.

Can you post the details of the previous alignment guy along with reasons that you had been given versus the current alignment guy who got it corrected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
Glad to know the problem has been resolved. But this does point out the incompetency and bad service provided by the previous tyre shop. You can share the details and people can avoid going to that shop.
Spot-on.
Old 31st January 2015, 10:29   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
@smrtdvl

I doubt they cover anything related to noise levels. Bridgestone tyres are overall noisy due to the hard rubber compound. I would say let the tyres run for atleast 3-4k. Also, expect these tyres too be more noisy on concrete roads as compared to tar roads. That's where the major difference is visible between soft vs hard rubber.
That is incorrect.
The Potenza GIII's in my accent were not noisy in the beginning.
Currently i am on Bridgestone Turanza ER60 on my Linea, and they are as silent as any Michelin.
Old 29th June 2017, 22:55   #71

Maruti Swift - Defective tyres in New car

We purchased a new Maruti Swift Diesel VDi on 22nd March 2017. The new car had a loud humming noise from the wheels. We gave written complaint about the problem at the time of 1st service at the dealership but nothing happened. We again gave a stronger complaint at the time of 2nd service on 26th June 2017. The dealer confirmed on 27th June 2017 that the problem is with the tyres & not with the car. He tried to wash away his hand but on my argument and insistence, they accepted to get the tyres checked with the tyre company. Then yesterday they called in the morning and confirmed that the tyres are defective and will be changed but they have still not delivered the car till today 29th June 2017 and the dealer says it would take another 2 - 3 days time.

It is sad that a company like Maruti is delivering cars with defective tyres- wonder what happened to Quality checks? Secondly, how poor is their problem solving mechanism. They are making the customer go through a torrid time for more than a week to solve a simple issue. I am made to spend money on taxis inspite of purchasing an expensive brand new car. Totally disgusted with the experience and still don't know by when I will get my car back.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 30th June 2017 at 07:45.
aroraauto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2017, 07:31   #72
BHPian

Re: Maruti Swift - Defective tyres in New car

Let me break my response into parts

- Many congratulations on your new car. Wishes for a wonderful time with you new car.

- It is very good that you found the humming noise on your car. May people do not find such abnormalities

- It is unfortunate that your first complaint wasn't heard well and that you had to take up the matter a second time.

- It is good that the dealer had confirmed that there is a fault with the tyre(s). I am not sure if it is 1/2/3/4.

- It is not very professional to wash off ownership even after knowing that there is a fault.

- It is good that the tyre company has accepted that there is a defect and are open to replacing the tyre(s)

- Considering that this appears to be a manufacturing defect, there are processes that are generally followed to ensure that there is a clear record of the issue right from customer - service center - car manufacturer - OEM supplier etc. The documentation and verification of such documentation does take time for reasons of quality management, It is based on these documentations that the tyre company would take back possession of the tyres for tests and replace them. Yes, I do understand that it is a frustrating wait, but then, considering that they have accepted the fault and are replacing the faulty part is something to feel good about as well. Yes, in these connected times, things could move faster.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 30th June 2017 at 07:45.
swissknife is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2017, 07:38   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Humming noise? Was it very bad? What made them conclude that tyres were culprit? Help us understand so that others may benefit
Old 30th June 2017, 07:46   #74
BHPian

Re: Maruti Swift - Defective tyres in New car

What's the brand/make of the tyres?

BTW, my Ford Aspire is shod with MRF tyres and it also has the same problem as yours. I didn't go for a warranty claim though.
auto_enthusiast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 00:11   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_enthusiast View Post
What's the brand/make of the tyres?

BTW, my Ford Aspire is shod with MRF tyres and it also has the same problem as yours. I didn't go for a warranty claim though.
The tyres were Ceat. They changed the tyres with a brand new set on 5th July 2017. The noise was still there. Again complaint raised, the car is in the dealer workshop from 29th July 2017 and the company is coming up with new excuses and Warranty policies by the hour.... The email correspondence with the various executives is a case study on its own with contradictory claims & solutions coming by the hour. its like

It is proved without a doubt that none of them are capable and equipped to handle warranty claims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
Let me break my response into parts
- Many congratulations on your new car. Wishes for a wonderful time with you new car.

Thanks for your good wishes my friend. But, sorry to write that the time has been far from wonderful in the new car. Its been treacherous and the car is again in the Maruti workshop for the last 5 days for the same complaint.

- It is very good that you found the humming noise on your car. May people do not find such abnormalities.

The noise is very loud and predominant. one has to be a complete dummy to miss this kind of noise.

- It is unfortunate that your first complaint wasn't heard well and that you had to take up the matter a second time.

There is repeated complaint. the tyres were replaced on 5th July 2017 but the car is back in the Maruti Dealer workshop for the last 5 days for the same complaint in the new set of tyres replaced.

- It is good that the dealer had confirmed that there is a fault with the tyre(s). I am not sure if it is 1/2/3/4.

All 5 tyres were replaced and the new set has the same problem...... It seems to be a design fault with the CEAT tyres.

- It is not very professional to wash off ownership even after knowing that there is a fault.

Its not just unprofessional to try and was off ownership. Currently, their warranty policies change by the hour and they are contradicting their own emails within hours.

- It is good that the tyre company has accepted that there is a defect and are open to replacing the tyre(s)

The tyre company is cornered and have no choice but to accept their defect. The noise is so loud in the car cabin that even a dead man would wake up. It is audible above the music system noise.

- Considering that this appears to be a manufacturing defect, there are processes that are generally followed to ensure that there is a clear record of the issue right from customer - service center - car manufacturer - OEM supplier etc. The documentation and verification of such documentation does take time for reasons of quality management, It is based on these documentations that the tyre company would take back possession of the tyres for tests and replace them. Yes, I do understand that it is a frustrating wait, but then, considering that they have accepted the fault and are replacing the faulty part is something to feel good about as well. Yes, in these connected times, things could move faster.

Word of caution and advise to all Swift Diesel car customers - Be cautious and do not accept delivery with CEAT tyres, they have a design fault and will make loud humming noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Humming noise? Was it very bad? What made them conclude that tyres were culprit? Help us understand so that others may benefit
The Noise was audible above the music system noise. The dealership and tyre company CEAT confirmed defect in their tyres and replaced the tyres on 5th July 2017. The new set of CEAT tyres would also hum.... Thus, the car is once again in the dealer workshop for the last 5 days without a concrete resolution plan/ status from the dealership/ company.

Note from Support: Please do not post back to back messages on the same thread. Use the edit option to modify your post within 30 minutes. Please do NOT reply to posts using bold text within a quoted post, as it leads to visual discomfort for readers. Additionally, it's inconvenient to quote & reply to such a post.
For the correct way to quote, please see this thread.
Thanks!

Last edited by Eddy : 3rd August 2017 at 04:30. Reason: Note Inline

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks