Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2010, 08:19   #1
BHPian

Maruti Suzuki A-Star : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Friends,

I have decided to go in for A-Star Lxi. Searched this forum for tyre upgrade but couldn't find any relevant post so posting here.I have already identified the car at the dealership with Brirdgestone tyres. Usage is mostly going to be hauling kids to school 2 kms away and will be driven by my wife.

So is it advisable to go for an upgrade or just let the stock tyres be given the usage?

Thanks in advance.
Old 17th August 2010, 09:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

People even love changing the stock tyre that comes with their Merc/Beemer Whats stopping you?

People change stock tyres coz either they dont give optimum perfomance for a driver, good braking, or comfort or all of these!

I would suggest you get atleast 175 ( wider than what A-Star gets). Stock rims might not support wider alloys and hence expect to spend money for alloys. I have seem 185 on A-Star (Potenza GIII( and it looked perfect for A-Star.
Old 17th August 2010, 21:06   #3
BHPian

Thanks JKdas. But I am more concerned about the safety aspects rather than looks. If the car is driven sensibly at all times, would it still require a tyre upgrade?
Old 17th August 2010, 23:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBKS View Post
Thanks JKdas. But I am more concerned about the safety aspects rather than looks. If the car is driven sensibly at all times, would it still require a tyre upgrade?
True. You might drive sensibly all the times, but there are lots of external factors associated, esp, when driving in India
Old 17th August 2010, 23:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBKS View Post

A simple and safe upgrade would be to get the size on ZXI variant. No need to change your rims.
Old 17th August 2010, 23:15   #6
BANNED

155/80 13 stock tyre is more than adequate for the kind of usage you are putting the car into. The stock tyres are even good for handling and braking even with speeds in excess of 100kmph which i'm sure your car would rarely see for the purpose you're buying it.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2010, 10:41   #7
BHPian

Thanks Sankar. This takes care of one more concern...
Old 27th November 2010, 20:27   #8
BHPian

folks, Please list the Tyre option with 14 inch wheels on the a-star?
Old 2nd June 2011, 18:04   #9
BHPian

re: Maruti Suzuki A-Star : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Need some help here.

My two year old A-Star is soon going to touch 30,000 Kms. The Tyre's are worn out and i need to change them.

I've been using Yokohama EOS 100's size 185/60-14. The car originally came shod with 155/80-13. I had changed to the mentioned tyre size within the first 100 Kms.

The tire size calculator here Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible Page 3 of 4, which i found on http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...re-upsize.html, shows that the total circumference is the same.

However the rear tyres were scraping the sidewall whenever there were more than two people were in the car. (Not a major problem for me since i was alone 90 % of the time, and with one passenger another 5 % of the time)

Now i'm looking to replace the tyres, as they are worn out.
Tread pattern will contribute for 50% of my decision. I like the sporty look the EOS 100 had.

My driving comprises 75% on the highway and 25% in the city. It also rains for around 5 months a year the region that i'm in!

My dealer has suggested the following optioons

1) Yokohama A Drive

2) Yokohama C Drive

3) Maxxis (Not sure which model)

Any suggestions?

Should i go for a different size considering that the rear wheel arches were being scraped? If so which size?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by slicvic : 2nd June 2011 at 18:23.
Old 22nd May 2012, 20:05   #10
BHPian

I am considering purchase of an A-Star soon and would prefer changing the shoes from the word go.

1. slicvic mentions that the rear wheel arches were scraped even when the tyres were shown to be of the same size in a calculator. What could be the problem? For ready reference the calculator provides -0.1% as the error related to upsize in this case.

2. Whats the difference of using a bigger size for the tires?

3. What about 15" alloys? The same tool says 195/50/R15 (Yokohama S-drives) has only -0.38% error.

4. Whats the budget I should have for this?
Old 22nd May 2012, 21:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlakhanpal View Post
I am considering purchase of an A-Star soon and would prefer changing the shoes from the word go.

1. slicvic mentions that the rear wheel arches were scraped even when the tyres were shown to be of the same size in a calculator. What could be the problem? For ready reference the calculator provides -0.1% as the error related to upsize in this case.

3. What about 15" alloys? The same tool says 195/50/R15 (Yokohama S-drives) has only -0.38% error.

1. Although the overall diameter of the 155/80R13 and 185/60R14 is almost the same, in order to fit 14" tyres there must have been aftermarket wheels fitted. Which prompts me to ask the question "What is the ET difference?" If the ET of the aftermarket wheel was such that the whole wheel/tyre assembly tended to jut out more, then when the car is loaded, the tyre will scrape the wheel arch.
Also, the A-Star in India is the new Alto in Europe. And even there, it comes fitted with 155 section tyres. Which leads me to believe that the wheel arches of the A-star are designed in such a way that they don't allow too much tolerance for wider section tyres.

2. Tyre bibles will answer your question effectively. See Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible Page 1 of 4

3. Might be overkill for the A-star. I personally wouldn't recommend going beyond 175 section of good quality tyres. Beyond that, steering will get heavy, ride will go for a toss and fuel consumption will start going up.

4. Not really sure, but good quality 13"/14" tyres are in the range of around 4-5K each I think.

If possible, get 13" alloys from Maruti itself, and go for 175/70R13 tyres.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2012, 11:41   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlakhanpal View Post

1. slicvic mentions that the rear wheel arches were scraped even when the tyres were shown to be of the same size in a calculator. the calculator provides -0.1% as the error related to upsize in this case.

1. The tire scraping is probably because of the increased width, and not because of the change in overall diameter. It has been suggested to me, that the inner sides of the wheel arches can be tinkered with so that the scraping can be minimized, but since i drive alone for 80 percent of the time, i haven't got it done.

3. With 15" alloys, the profile will have to be lower, thereby putting the alloys at risk for damage when the roads are bad. If the roads you travel on are good, then you could go ahead with 15"

4. I paid 4300 for each tire, (yoko 185/60-14) six months back.
Old 7th November 2012, 09:11   #13
Senior - BHPian

Our ZXi is running the stock 155/80 13. Can I mount 175/70 13 on the stock rims?

The outer diameter is the same. I worried about the width of the steel rims. Car Bibles say 175 can be mounted on 5J to 6.5J. Is the A-star stock rim 5J?

Not looking for alloys at the moment.
Old 7th November 2012, 13:51   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Our ZXi is running the stock 155/80 13. Can I mount 175/70 13 on the stock rims?

The outer diameter is the same. I worried about the width of the steel rims. Car Bibles say 175 can be mounted on 5J to 6.5J. Is the A-star stock rim 5J?

Not looking for alloys at the moment.
OE wheel for the A-Star is 4.5J, so mounting a 175 section tyre is not recommended.
However, a lot of i10 owners in this forum have mounted 175/70R13 on the stock steel rim which is also (to the best of my knowledge) 4.5JX13.
Old 8th November 2012, 09:33   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
However, a lot of i10 owners in this forum have mounted 175/70R13 on the stock steel rim which is also (to the best of my knowledge) 4.5JX13.
I was afraid the steel wheel is too narrow. I guess, I will be safer with mounting 155/80 13 than using 175/70 13 on OEM wheels.

Most Viewed