Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2014, 12:19   #16
BHPian

re: Hyundai i20 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

I am planning to replace my stock tyres for i20 Asta (185/65 R14). Which one is good among Apollo, Yokohama & JK Tyres ? Any advice please.

Last edited by gogo_gogo : 2nd February 2014 at 12:20. Reason: Letter Upper to Lower case.
Old 14th May 2014, 12:10   #17
BHPian

New Shoes for the i20 - Kochi.

So my i20 has just celebrated his 5th birthday and it is time to change his shoes as a birthday gift.

I would like to maintain the current size, 185/65R14, but require a couple of suggestions:

1. which brand should I go for? VFM is the main aspect here.

2. Where should I buy the tyres and have it fitted and aligned. I am based out of Kochi. Again, VFM and best pricing and alignment being the key here.
Old 14th May 2014, 12:58   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas_mirage
So my i20 has just celebrated his 5th birthday and it is time to change his shoes as a birthday gift.

I would like to maintain the current size, 185/65R14, but require a couple of suggestions:

1. which brand should I go for? VFM is the main aspect here.

2. Where should I buy the tyres and have it fitted and aligned. I am based out of Kochi. Again, VFM and best pricing and alignment being the key here.
I think DBS is a good place. You may check with bhpian Naveen Raju for more info on Kochi shops.
Old 14th May 2014, 13:23   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: New Shoes for the i20 - Kochi.

If VFM is your main requirement stick to either Apollo Acelere or Yoko A Drives
Old 14th May 2014, 13:48   #20
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Shoes for the i20 - Kochi.

Yokohama A drive and Earth 1 are best VFM options in 185/65-14.

If budget is not a constraint, get the Michelin XM2. Would cost you approx Rs 500/tire more than the above the two.
Old 30th November 2015, 15:16   #21
BHPian

Hey folks...apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I really didn't want to start another one.

I'm looking to change the tires on my 2013 i20. Based on everything I read, I'm going to stick to the stock alloys and tires that the car came with - Apollo Acelere's. Any suggestions on where to get these from? Looking for a good reliable shop with fair prices. I live near Sarjapur road but willing to go anywhere if the place is worth it.
Old 1st December 2015, 18:43   #22
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyneld View Post
Hey folks...apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I really didn't want to start another one.

I'm looking to change the tires on my 2013 i20. Based on everything I read, I'm going to stick to the stock alloys and tires that the car came with - Apollo Acelere's. Any suggestions on where to get these from? Looking for a good reliable shop with fair prices. I live near Sarjapur road but willing to go anywhere if the place is worth it.

Check out Changemytyre.com
Im planning to use this site to buy the tyres of my choice for my vehicle.
Old 1st December 2015, 21:16   #23
BHPian

Excellent, thanks Shankar! Looks like I'll be buying my tires online - there is fitment center nearby and the process overall looks simple enough.

Any idea on used tires? Do these shops buy them back?
Old 2nd December 2015, 09:49   #24
BHPian

Mods: Sorry for the back to back posts, but I can't edit my previous post

So here's what I found, Yokohama A Drives on Snapdeal vs. ChangeMyTyre.com have a difference of almost Rs.500. ChangeMyTyre does look like a reliable option (having reliable fitment centers around town), but Rs.500 per tire is a lot! Should I just get it on Snapdeal? Below are the links. Appreciate any advice I can get!

http://www.changemytyre.com/Car/Tyre...?VehicleID=455
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/yoko...mbLabelId:3523
Old 2nd December 2015, 18:13   #25
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Mods: Sorry for the back to back posts, but I can't edit my previous post

So here's what I found, Yokohama A Drives on Snapdeal vs. ChangeMyTyre.com have a difference of almost Rs.500. ChangeMyTyre does look like a reliable option (having reliable fitment centers around town), but Rs.500 per tire is a lot! Should I just get it on Snapdeal? Below are the links. Appreciate any advice I can get!

http://www.changemytyre.com/Car/Tyre...?VehicleID=455
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/yoko...mbLabelId:3523

I would rather consider Changemytyre because on another thread here, pertaining to tyre upgrade for the Yeti, I read that the Falken Tyres guys had actually put out some notice about not honouring warranties etc if their tyres were purchased online.

Now, Changemytyre is a tyre specific website and they seem to be offering certain additional warranties etc.

Snapdeal on the other hand, seems to be playing purely on price.

Therefore, when Im ready to buy, I would either use Changemytyre OR I would use some physical store.

Your fitment centre would probably buy back your old tyres at some Rs 200-300 each max.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 08:28   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So here's what I found, Yokohama A Drives on Snapdeal vs. ChangeMyTyre.com have a difference of almost Rs.500. Appreciate any advice I can get!
Since you're going to be driving in Bangalore with its non-existent roads why not consider the successor to A Drives, the Earth-1? Apparently they have used more rubber to make the tyre (2-ply sidewall as compared to A-Drives) and they are great value for money. Granted a tyre can fail at any point of time depending on manufacturing defects or type of terrain, but its better to be on the safer side with a better reinforced tyre such as Earth-1. I've been using them for 6 months and I've nothing bad to say about them, it dismisses the trench like potholes without any noise yet has enough hardness to send in road feedback via the steering. Wet grip is supreme as I've been noticing the past 20 days.

A tyre is an important investment for the car, on par with clutch as it plays a crucial role in how it drives so while you can hunt for a great deal make sure the stock is as latest as possible (mine was a month old). A-Drives would be at least one year old as they have stopped manufacturing them, I think.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 23:05   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Since you're going to be driving in Bangalore with its non-existent roads why not consider the successor to A Drives, the Earth-1? Apparently they have used more rubber to make the tyre (2-ply sidewall as compared to A-Drives) and they are great value for money. Granted a tyre can fail at any point of time depending on manufacturing defects or type of terrain, but its better to be on the safer side with a better reinforced tyre such as Earth-1. I've been using them for 6 months and I've nothing bad to say about them, it dismisses the trench like potholes without any noise yet has enough hardness to send in road feedback via the steering. Wet grip is supreme as I've been noticing the past 20 days.

A tyre is an important investment for the car, on par with clutch as it plays a crucial role in how it drives so while you can hunt for a great deal make sure the stock is as latest as possible (mine was a month old). A-Drives would be at least one year old as they have stopped manufacturing them, I think.
Interesting - I never really thought about that. In fact, I never looked at the Earth-1's at all. I see some mixed reviews, but overall it does make more sense. I'd rather get a set of tires that are a couple of months old at the most rather than a year or more.

Moreover, if A Drives have been discontinued overall, then all the more reason to stick to the Earth-1's. I'll have a look around to see what pricing I can get from local shops in my area (Tyre Empire in HSR).
lyneld is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2015, 23:21   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Interesting - I never really thought about that. In fact, I never looked at the Earth-1's at all. I see some mixed reviews, but overall it does make more sense. I'd rather get a set of tires that are a couple of months old at the most rather than a year or more.

Moreover, if A Drives have been discontinued overall, then all the more reason to stick to the Earth-1's. I'll have a look around to see what pricing I can get from local shops in my area (Tyre Empire in HSR).
Friends, I am looking at changing stock apollo accelere tyres for my 2011 i20 Asta 1.2 Petro. I was super happy with it for past 45k kms, except for tyre noise in highways.

My 90% of driving is in highways, so wondering should i go with Michelin XM2 or Yoko A-drive or Earth-1?
Safety, durability and robustness (ability to take bad roads/potholes etc) are importance for me as majority of my drives are in highways only. Please advise.

@lyneld, have you changed the tyres ? Which one you finalized at last?

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 13th December 2015 at 23:23.
Old 13th December 2015, 23:33   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
.My 90% of driving is in highways, so wondering should i go with Michelin XM2 or Yoko A-drive or Earth-1?
Harder the compound the better the durability, and since durability is a main concern better eliminate Yoko A Drive straight off due to it being old stock (last I heard it is discontinued).

XM2 - Better grip, plusher ride, less road noise, but a softer compound than Earth-1 which might make it prone to damage but it has generally 95% positive reviews, even from highway folks.

Earth-1 - Harder compound for best balance of city/highway driving, better feedback from steering and maybe point percentage lesser body roll due to stiffer sidewalls (depends on air pressure though).

You wont go wrong with either of these, rest is dependent on luck. XM2 is the better quality tyre which is slightly more expensive, Earth-1 is the stiffer tyre with best value for money. Go by budget.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2015, 23:41   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Harder the compound the better the durability, and since durability is a main concern better eliminate Yoko A Drive straight off due to it being old stock (last I heard it is discontinued).

XM2 - Better grip, plusher ride, less road noise, but a softer compound than Earth-1 which might make it prone to damage but it has generally 95% positive reviews, even from highway folks.

Earth-1 - Harder compound for best balance of city/highway driving, better feedback from steering and maybe point percentage lesser body roll due to stiffer sidewalls (depends on air pressure though).

You wont go wrong with either of these, rest is dependent on luck. XM2 is the better quality tyre which is slightly more expensive, Earth-1 is the stiffer tyre with best value for money. Go by budget.
Thank you so much @dark.knight; Budget is not a constraint. IMO good Investment on tyres is fine, because safety is paramount importance. As you said, beyond luck, don't want tyres by design to go for toss with punctures or side wall damages, in NH high speeds or in bad roads. So i prefer to choose that is more durable and robust.

As Earth-1 has Harder compound, looks like i may go with it. Haven't checked the prices of Earth-1 yet as most of the places/sites A-drive is what being pushed by sales people.

-Ravi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks