Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2015, 23:52   #31
BHPian

@ravib I've decided to go with the Earth-1's. Will be getting them installed tomorrow in Mangalore (about Rs. 4200 per tyre) and then driving off to Bangalore. Will try and post my feedback on here over the next few days.
Old 22nd December 2015, 03:34   #32
BHPian

re: Hyundai i20 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Sorry it took so long to post back here, but after about 400+km on the new Earth-1 tires, they seem to be a decent upgrade over the stock Apollo's. The noise levels are considerably lower and grip seems better as well. Ride has only slightly improved, but improved nonetheless! This after a mix of highway, ghats and terrible Bangalore roads.

Well worth the upgrade in my opinion. That said, my Apollo's were in a pretty shoddy state for the last 7000 - 8000km, so my judgement may be biased!
lyneld is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 14:50   #33

How about MRF - ZV2K?
Old 28th March 2016, 14:00   #34
BHPian

Guys newbie here, and I need your help. I own an I20 magna which has stock tyres of 175/70 R14. They need an upgrade and I was thinking of an upgrade. Questions are:

1) can the stock rims take an upgrade of only tyres as i do not plan to put alloy wheels?
2) If yes, what size should I upgrade to without affecting the ride? (185/65(70) R14 or 185/65(70) R15?

Help
Old 28th March 2016, 16:23   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Stick to 185/65-14. Best size for i20 in my opinion.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 17:05   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Thanks. Can the stock rims (not alloys) take an upsize? I read somewhere that upsizing is not possible on the stock rims, as 175/70 R14 is the maximum. Anything more and I would have to switch to alloys, which i dont want to at the moment.

Also I just read GTO's review that 195/55 R15 are better suited (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...14-review.html).

Can someone shed more light on the same? Will an upsize to 195/55 be good or bad for the ride quality & mileage?
Old 29th March 2016, 11:07   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

That is not true. The i20 comes with 185/65-14 tyres as default on some variants. So, the steel rims can easily manage.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 12:51   #38
BHPian

Quote:
That is not true. .... easily manage.
Thank you! Did more research yesterday and came to the same conclusion. (http://tyrestore.in/upsizing.htm)

Planning to go for Xm2.
Old 8th June 2016, 18:35   #39
BHPian

Quote:
I was in the market to replace tire for My i20 sportz diesel and wanted to upgrade to 195/65/14 but I was told the by the seller that the tires might touch the lining on full load thus reinforcing your opinion.

I was presented with a host of tires from Apollo, Goodyear, Bridgestone, Yokohama, Michelin and Continental.

The stock Apollo Accelere's had developed side wall cracks and pitting in various places so they were not an option.

Haven't heard good things about Goodyear(Assurance; Stock on the Creta). Bridgestone were ok-ok as I had them on my Ritz.

Michelin and Yokohama were termed too soft and he had three to four Different Yoko tires with sidewall cuts.

Finally Went with Continental CC5 (batch 3315) @ 4500/tire including buyback, alignment,balancing and nitrogen.
Ride is more pliant and brakes respond just a teeny bit better after the change.

Happy with the decision though I feel I could have gotten a better price for them.

Last edited by Jag4 : 8th June 2016 at 18:51.
Old 13th June 2016, 12:46   #40
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

The stock tyres after serving the i20 for 63000 kms within 3 years and 8 months died on me with a tyre burst! - Thankfully at very slow speeds!

Decided to go set change immediately. - Next Day.

Since, its a sportz CRDi model, it wears 185/65 R14. The stock ones were Apollo's. They had their own share of problems.

With a host of options available for this size, zeroed on Yokohama Earth 1 set of 4.

The Deal 4300 per tyre with fitment, balancing, alignment, nitrogen along with free alignment within 2000 kms or 2 months whichever is earlier with nitrogen top-up!

Also got a little discount for the worn out tyres, but nothing worth mentioning here.

Some pictures for viewing.

Hyundai i20 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img20160609wa0007.jpeg

Hyundai i20 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img20160609wa0010.jpeg

Hyundai i20 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img20160609wa0012.jpeg

Hyundai i20 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img20160609wa0014.jpeg

New Life of Tyres starts at 63000kms!

Drove around 400 kms since then. I must mention that the set is super awesome. Butter smooth. Very less road noise. Handles broken road very well. Yet to experience in wet conditions, but have heard all good things about Earth 1's.

Hope for best!

Cheers!!
Abhi
abhijeetsng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 15:07   #41
Senior - BHPian

My friend is getting an Elite i20 Sportz soon and wanted to get the factory design alloys sold on the Asta(O) for it.
But the showroom is quoting an exorbiant 12k per alloy wheel. That's 48k just for the alloys. Plus maybe another 20k for the upsized rubber, right? Or does the 12k include rubber too?
So few questions, since I am alien to the tire world-
1. Do the Asta wheels improve ride quality and reduce tire noise? He is a simpleton and doesn't care much for grip and handling. The car will be driven only in the city and in traffic.
2. If he is a little more flexible with the alloy wheel design/choice, what should the ideal alloy and tire size be?

PS: Sportz runs 185/70 R14 steel wheels.
Asta runs 195/55 R16 alloy wheels.
Old 16th June 2016, 08:47   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyn View Post
Its up to your friend whether he wants to spend close to 50k for a change of 4 alloy wheels. Here're a few tips from my side though - if the regular wheels are 185/70 R14 then if upgraded to 195/55 R16 (2 inches greater diameter of the wheel) then ideally the spare tyre must also be changed to R16 otherwise there will be a sag when replacing a flat and it cannot be used other than in emergencies or for rotation. This increases the cost to another 12k.

Also is he getting anything at all for the exchange of old wheels and tyres? Brand new tyres should get close to 75-80% of their value when swapped at a tyre retailer outside. The wheels should fetch something too being in pristine condition. In my view 185/70 R14 is more than adequate for the i20 in city conditions and would give greater ride comfort than the 195's with lower profile (sidewall height is lesser by 15mm thus reducing the cushioning effect by 15mm).

In conclusion, logically if not financially, it makes greater sense to just retain the stock factory setup. If he does want the alloys of Asta (O) why not buy the Asta (O) itself? The difference will not be that great for a more practical car (Asta has rear wipers which is very useful for monsoons). If he wants a change of wheels+tyres its better to get it done outside as it would be cheaper and exchange is also possible. Design is a gamble though.

Last edited by dark.knight : 16th June 2016 at 08:49.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 12:25   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Its up to your friend whether he wants to spend close to 50k for a change of 4 alloy wheels. Here're a few tips from my side though - if the regular wheels are 185/70 R14 then if upgraded to 195/55 R16 (2 inches greater diameter of the wheel) then ideally the spare tyre must also be changed to R16 otherwise there will be a sag when replacing a flat and it cannot be used other than in emergencies or for rotation. This increases the cost to another 12k.

Also is he getting anything at all for the exchange of old wheels and tyres? Brand new tyres should get close to 75-80% of their value when swapped at a tyre retailer outside. The wheels should fetch something too being in pristine condition. In my view 185/70 R14 is more than adequate for the i20 in city conditions and would give greater ride comfort than the 195's with lower profile (sidewall height is lesser by 15mm thus reducing the cushioning effect by 15mm).

In conclusion, logically if not financially, it makes greater sense to just retain the stock factory setup. If he does want the alloys of Asta (O) why not buy the Asta (O) itself? The difference will not be that great for a more practical car (Asta has rear wipers which is very useful for monsoons). If he wants a change of wheels+tyres its better to get it done outside as it would be cheaper and exchange is also possible. Design is a gamble though.

Agreed. Thanks for the advice!
One last question. He really wants to get alloys on the car. So should I suggest him to stick to the stock tire size and get 14-inchers?
OT: I was surprised to hear about the absence of the rear wiper! But he possibly can not stretch his budget up that far. Any retrofit option possible?!
Old 16th June 2016, 21:29   #44
BHPian

Quote:
My friend is getting an Elite i20 Sportz soon and wanted to get the factory design alloys sold on the Asta(O) for it.
But the showroom is quoting an exorbiant 12k per alloy wheel. That's 48k just for the alloys. Plus maybe another 20k for the upsized rubber, right? Or does the 12k include rubber too?
So few questions, since I am alien to the tire world-
1. Do the Asta wheels improve ride quality and reduce tire noise? He is a simpleton and doesn't care much for grip and handling. The car will be driven only in the city and in traffic.
2. If he is a little more flexible with the alloy wheel design/choice, what should the ideal alloy and tire size be?

No the 12k doesn't include tyres.

1. Well not necessarily, IMO the sidewall height is directly proportional to comfort and as you upsize the alloys the height decreases thus lesser comfort. Upsizing may give you better grip and handling due to the larger contact patch.
2. The ideal alloy size would be 15 inches,it will give you a large range of options for alloys and tyres and would be an ideal compromise for looks and comfort.
But then again the stock Asta alloys suit the car the best in my opinion and stock alloys are manufactured with stringent standards as compared to aftermarket alloys.

Quote:
Agreed. Thanks for the advice!
One last question. He really wants to get alloys on the car. So should I suggest him to stick to the stock tire size and get 14-inchers?
OT: I was surprised to hear about the absence of the rear wiper! But he possibly can not stretch his budget up that far. Any retrofit option possible?!
Sticking to stock 14 inches would be a smart monetary decision but the car would look better with bigger alloys for sure.
If he opts for an upgrade to 16 inch alloys, a reasonable buyback price would be 12k-15k for the rims and tires. Stock alloys are available aplenty here in Delhi in Karol bagh at around 20k-25k, Tires would be in the ~25k range depending upon the brand.

Also, no wiper retrofit is not possible without a rear windshield change. Hyundai really messes up with feature distribution sometimes, imagine a 17 lakh rupee Creta not having an auto dimming IRVM.

Hope this helps !

Last edited by Jag4 : 16th June 2016 at 21:32.
Jag4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2016, 00:23   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag4 View Post
No the 12k doesn't include tyres.

1. Well not necessarily, IMO the sidewall height is directly proportional to comfort and as you upsize the alloys the height decreases thus lesser comfort. Upsizing may give you better grip and handling due to the larger contact patch.
2. The ideal alloy size would be 15 inches,it will give you a large range of options for alloys and tyres and would be an ideal compromise for looks and comfort.
But then again the stock Asta alloys suit the car the best in my opinion and stock alloys are manufactured with stringent standards as compared to aftermarket alloys.

Sticking to stock 14 inches would be a smart monetary decision but the car would look better with bigger alloys for sure.
If he opts for an upgrade to 16 inch alloys, a reasonable buyback price would be 12k-15k for the rims and tires. Stock alloys are available aplenty here in Delhi in Karol bagh at around 20k-25k, Tires would be in the ~25k range depending upon the brand.

Also, no wiper retrofit is not possible without a rear windshield change. Hyundai really messes up with feature distribution sometimes, imagine a 17 lakh rupee Creta not having an auto dimming IRVM.

Hope this helps !

That was a massive help. Thanks a ton!
Since you seem to be knowing a lot about Hyundai, would you also know what the approximate cost of the projector+DRL headlamp setup from the Asta(O) cost? Both, from the showroom and aftermarket/used part market?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks