Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2008, 23:55   #91
Team-BHP Support

Try to look for various grilles. The answer lies there.

Last edited by moralfibre : 6th January 2008 at 23:57.
Old 7th January 2008, 00:20   #92
BHPian

[quote=karlosdeville;673483]

Theres a similar one up for sale in poona.
Old 7th January 2008, 00:59   #93
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreeram View Post
Theres a similar one up for sale in poona.
Similar, can be but, same history is rare!
Old 7th January 2008, 01:38   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Similar, can be but, same history is rare!
Yes. I know. just wanted to inform all if anyones intrested.

Last edited by Shreeram : 7th January 2008 at 01:43.
Old 7th January 2008, 11:44   #95
BHPian

Hey Karl, Congrats on the new addition into the family. The Amby looks real cool. Keep up the good work Karl. May you be blessed with many more.
Old 7th January 2008, 15:17   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Got all the lights working in the Amby, except interior dome light and the brake light. That needs a new switch, which is precariously close to a brake line, so my electrician was skeptical of touching it at the moment. Got the original foot mounted dipper switch working as well, and removed the ugly aftermarket stalk. Also fitted new tail lamp lenses, till I find the original set. Ajay99, I hope you can help me with that.

After a little archelogical survey and confirmation with the owners family, I can see the original colour was a light green, popular at the time. The next layer was Natina blue, much like my President. Finally the current colour is Bahama Beige (Duco). In the back of my mind im torn between repainting her jet black, or two tone natina blue and ivory. Comments?
Old 7th January 2008, 16:00   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl singh
The 56 1100 is mechanically fine and reliable, I use it quite regularly, much to the amazement of others on the road.
U lucky ....If only I was small enough to fit comfortably...
Old 7th January 2008, 16:20   #98
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Karlji, for another great buy. I think i can source out the tail lamps for you.. Ill try, cant promise... but hopefully i may be able to.
Second you need to change the bulbous gear shift knob to the slim one that originally came. That shouldnt be difficult to get. Also one query, shouldnt the steering spoke in this model the one piece bakelite one as opposed to the spoked one which we see.
Please tell me the indicator knob on the steering boss works.
Notice the plate below the glove box handle, that would bear the name of the original dealer from whom the car car was bought... National Garage Im thinking!??!
On the whole a great buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Next weekend I am on tour. However to complete 8, you can take Shrivz and Amee .

Just to let you know I have travelled in an Abbassador with 15 other people. I sat on the right hand side of the driver and controlled the hand brake.... Bench seats are a wonder and the Ambi a great classic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
After a little archelogical survey and confirmation with the owners family, I can see the original colour was a light green, popular at the time. The next layer was Natina blue, much like my President. Finally the current colour is Bahama Beige (Duco). In the back of my mind im torn between repainting her jet black, or two tone natina blue and ivory. Comments?
Black is the way to go. The other colour which really suited the Ambi was an off white. Dont two tone it please. Let a single solid, non metallic colour adorn the car.

Last edited by V-16 : 7th January 2008 at 16:21.
Old 7th January 2008, 18:07   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
U lucky ....If only I was small enough to fit comfortably...
Well, Shrivz has driven it 100kms recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Congrats Karlji, for another great buy. I think i can source out the tail lamps for you.. Ill try, cant promise... but hopefully i may be able to.
Second you need to change the bulbous gear shift knob to the slim one that originally came. That shouldnt be difficult to get. Also one query, shouldnt the steering spoke in this model the one piece bakelite one as opposed to the spoked one which we see.
Please tell me the indicator knob on the steering boss works.
Notice the plate below the glove box handle, that would bear the name of the original dealer from whom the car car was bought... National Garage Im thinking!??!
On the whole a great buy.

Just to let you know I have travelled in an Abbassador with 15 other people. I sat on the right hand side of the driver and controlled the hand brake.... Bench seats are a wonder and the Ambi a great classic.

Black is the way to go. The other colour which really suited the Ambi was an off white. Dont two tone it please. Let a single solid, non metallic colour adorn the car.
Great, do hunt out the tail lights. In the mean time Ive got parking lights for our dukkar. Im also going to need a pair of headlight rims.

The shift knob bears the AMBASSADOR script on it, an obvious aftermarket unit. I hate to admit, it makes driving this tank easier. I haven't loacted a slim one yet, and my mechanic refuses to give me one that is fitted to a car that hasn't moved from his shop in 20 years!

The steering wheel is original, with these metallic spokes. Im not aware of bakelite spokes being offered, got any pics?

The indicator knob on the steering wheel is missing, and has been converted to the stalk system. I remember seeing a new horn ring and boss at opera house, I hope its still there. Either ways, a genuine item shouldn't be too hard to obtain.

The dealer badge is indeed riveted on the glove box door, but its painted over and I cant read it.

Gogiji, 15 people? 15 people?!?!

Very well then, black she shall be. I would like to add that stylish dipping chrome trim along the sides, that used to be so popular back in the day.

Does anybody remeber the WB registered mark 2 Amby from Jewel Thief? In that scene, Ashok Kumar rescues Dev Anand in the Amby, whos running from a crowd. It was a two tone grey and black, with loads of bling.
Old 7th January 2008, 18:14   #100
BHPian

Quote:

@ V 16. I had 12 people seated in my Landmaster and a 1 tone window AC neatly giftwrapped n stuffed in the dickey to be delivered to my friend. Howz that !!!

@ Karl paint it BLACK & congrats on ur latest buy...

Last edited by egangsta : 7th January 2008 at 18:15.
Old 7th January 2008, 18:31   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
May you be blessed with many more.
And me too!

Karl, jet black would be just right if you can get a good quality red interior plus can afford to maintain it in that colour. I'm quite lazy at that hence was discouraged from painting my select in this colour.

As for two-tone, didnt Ambys with this kind of paint have chrome pattis on the sides, diving the 2 colours? Can those still be procured?
Old 7th January 2008, 18:44   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does anybody remeber the WB registered mark 2 Amby from Jewel Thief? In that scene, Ashok Kumar rescues Dev Anand in the Amby, whos running from a crowd. It was a two tone grey and black, with loads of bling.
I'm not able to recall that but sachcha jhoota (*ing Rajesh Khanna) has 2 mk2 Ambys in one scene where the bad guys chase the hero's dog and one of them is a 2-tone white & blue and the other is a (natina?) blue with a black stripe along the sides....
Old 7th January 2008, 18:46   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, Shrivz has driven it 100kms recently.

Great, do hunt out the tail lights.
The steering wheel is original, with these metallic spokes. Im not aware of bakelite spokes being offered, got any pics?

The indicator knob on the steering wheel is missing, and has been converted to the stalk system. I remember seeing a new horn ring and boss at opera house, I hope its still there. Either ways, a genuine item shouldn't be too hard to obtain.

The dealer badge is indeed riveted on the glove box door, but its painted over and I cant read it.

Gogiji, 15 people? 15 people?!?!

Very well then, black she shall be. I would like to add that stylish dipping chrome trim along the sides, that used to be so popular back in the day.

Gimme the name of the shop and ill pickit up for you before someone else beats you to it.

Yes KArlji 15 + me =16 and that was a regular feature. Its different that the car needed upholstery padding changes at least two times a year minimum.
Even Ed has had 12 guys in his LAndmaster as mentioned below. Now we can see if e can still do it in "OUR" new Ambi mk-1

Ill try and find some pics of the one piece, bakelite, 3 spoked steering wheel.

I know what trim you are talking about. It was an extra fitting I think and even my Dada had one in the good old days which was Green and cream wit bling wheel caps (i think they were from a dodge or a plymouth)

Quote:
Originally Posted by egangsta View Post
@ V 16. I had 12 people seated in my Landmaster and a 1 tone window AC neatly giftwrapped n stuffed in the dickey to be delivered to my friend. Howz that !!!

@ Karl paint it BLACK & congrats on ur latest buy...
See Karlji I was not fibbing.
Also see the votes for Black paint
Old 7th January 2008, 19:03   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I'm not able to recall that but sachcha jhoota (*ing Rajesh Khanna) has 2 mk2 Ambys in one scene where the bad guys chase the hero's dog and one of them is a 2-tone white & blue and the other is a (natina?) blue with a black stripe along the sides....
Im watching the movie as we speak, what a coincidence...great car shots throughout.

Quote:
I know what trim you are talking about. It was an extra fitting I think and even my Dada had one in the good old days which was Green and cream wit bling wheel caps (i think they were from a dodge or a plymouth)
Got any pics?

This is the double patti that was popular here.

I wasn't too keen on the double, I was thinking more along these lines, the single dipping trim that ended at the windscreen, plus Landmaster trim upfront. What say?

Or just the single dipping trim?

Or just the Landmaster trim?

Also, im now sold on black gogiji, dont worry.

Check out this gorgeous Morris Oxford, formerly of the Birmingham Police.

Old 7th January 2008, 19:35   #105
Senior - BHPian

I have seen one Black car with white/cream in the double patti trim. looks fab
And the front has to be the morris oxford with a single fog lamp in the left front side. Looks fab

Last edited by V-16 : 7th January 2008 at 19:37.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks