Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2006, 21:43   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

meet the family...

to begin with id really like to see a vintage and classic car segment so id know where to post stuff like this! im sure its large enough a segment to cater for...

Meet my family...

1956 Triumph Tiger 100, pre unit twin, 500cc, currently undergoing a semi restoration...was my DAILY ride for the last two years...got her just 3 years back...learnt riding a bike on this, and have never really ridden much else (barring a couple of other old british bikes)...looking for a nice lambretta and vespa...

1956 VW Beetle 1200A...right hand drive, plus oval rear window, making it very rare...probably the oldest VW in India, correct me if im wrong...currently undergoing a full restoration, looking for a spare engine...and mechanic!

1960 Fiat 1100 103 select sedan. A gift last year from an uncle, the first caring owner...60k genuine miles, factory upholstry. Such a joy to drive...such light steering she puts my alto with power steering to shame...gears shift like a hot knife through butter...

1960 Standard 10/Pennant. A gift from an aunt, (also the first owner), covered 135k miles, but never left pune...submerged in floods 8 days after taking delivery in 61...all repair work done by factory free of charge! as if that werent enough, she was stolen 10 years ago and recovered a month later with only radiator and fabulous bosch horns (purchsed for 475 rupees in 1960!) missing...100% original, probably the only survivor in maharashtra...

1973 Premier President, (manufactured only for a year....previous was still fiat 1100D, and 74 started the Padmini...) a gift from my grandparents, the first owners...absolutely factory fresh, mind boggling condition...ridiculously low milage...travelled less than a kilometer daily for the last 20 years! currently am cosmetically restoring her (was upgraded to padmini spec in the 80s). Difficult as these cosmetics like grille hubcaps hornbutton meter etc were made only for a year!

the above 3 cars come with FULL documentation from day one, and in true pro-pah parsee style, a log book containing milage and date jotted down with no of litres filled everytime they gassed up!

all 3 cars were also contemplated to be sold (for not more than 15k each...) I think when a vehicle has been in the family for over 30 40 years they should be treated differently and hung on to as a family heirloom...it would be such a pity to see them turn into taxis in bombay...

would love to hear more from cars "been in the family for ages" types...especially old pics...

cheers
karl

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff: Kindly avoid posting full size pictures. This causes inconvenience to the dial-up users.

Do check on How to post thumbnail photos within Team-BHP from this topic

Last edited by adya33 : 7th July 2006 at 22:41.
Old 7th July 2006, 22:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hey those are really nice cars you have in your garage. About the president...come to Bombay, i have noticed more often than not cabs running around with that grille and those hubcaps. But really not sure about their authenticity.

Drifter
Old 7th July 2006, 22:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hey you have got nice collection man.
but man that VW is in bad shape please work on it
Old 7th July 2006, 22:19   #4
Jay
BHPian

Nice cars there, liked the 1956 VW Beetle and the 1960 Standard... sad to see the Beetle in a bad shape, kindly do something about it ASAP. kindly do post Thumbnails and not full scale images...

Last edited by Jay : 7th July 2006 at 22:21.
Old 7th July 2006, 22:33   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

ahem...yes im aware that the bug is in VERY sad shape...shes been off road for just under 20 years following a broken crankshaft! as a result the previous owner just let her lie....the car rusted SO badly, you wouldnt belive it...you cant see anything in the pics...the car would definitely have been scrapped, i just couldnt let that happen so i had to pick her up 2 years ago...the good news is that all bodywork issues are sorted with new floors and stuff as well (all done very well), shes currently awaiting paint...(l41 diamond black)

am still looking for an engine though...help!
Old 8th July 2006, 08:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hey karlos, mind if I drop in sometime if and when I'm in Pune? Your collection has blown me away man!!!

Even thought the Beetle's not in the best of conditions, the inherent Beetle charm is still there......
Old 8th July 2006, 10:47   #7
Team-BHP Support

Nice collection, Karl.
Do I see a Dodge Kingsway / Savoy parked behind the Standard 10?
Old 8th July 2006, 14:23   #8

your collection is really good, & the last line where u say these cars which has been with your family for so many decades & its hard to let it go is really touching.
Old 8th July 2006, 16:18   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

and sure, u guys are most welcome to drop me a line when in pune...just gimme a days notice preferbly...

cheers
karl
Old 9th July 2006, 11:00   #10
BHPian

The love for ye ol' automobile is evident, nice collection, will make it a point to check out your garage in the near future!!!!
Old 24th July 2006, 18:29   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville
1960 Standard 10/Pennant. A gift from an aunt, (also the first owner), covered 135k miles, but never left pune...submerged in floods 8 days after taking delivery in 61...all repair work done by factory free of charge! as if that werent enough, she was stolen 10 years ago and recovered a month later with only radiator and fabulous bosch horns (purchsed for 475 rupees in 1960!) missing...100% original, probably the only survivor in maharashtra...
Karl, why that Black number plate on your Standard 10? And details on the Dodge in the background pls []. Looks immaculate too.
Old 24th July 2006, 20:44   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

well, being one of those originality freaks, i belive the regn number should be equally period...that means large individual letters bolted on, and the correct colour code...its legal in a majority of the other countries (u can buy a period number for ur classic everywhere else...)

im trying for an exemption certificate from the RTO...all my other cars will revert to old colour scheme when i restore them as well...one of those ecccentric bawa things...!

the fabulous 54 dodge behind is pheroze mehtas car from bombay...he has some terrific american cars, in regular use...always drives some down to pune for the rallies...

will post pics in a new thread...
cheers
k
Old 30th July 2007, 12:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

1 whole bloody year & no updates.

Karlos Singh, do you mind opening up some threads to detail the restoration of your various cars? Or atleast updating this one? You seem to know & have pictures of everyone else's cars but do not update us about you cars, why so?
Old 30th July 2007, 12:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
1 whole bloody year & no updates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Karlos Singh, do you mind opening up some threads to detail the restoration of your various cars? Or atleast updating this one?

Lookie who's talkin' !!!!
Old 30th July 2007, 12:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post

Lookie who's talkin' !!!!
Hey, I'm just a month-and-a-half late
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks