Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2019, 16:36   #16
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Barn or Garage Finds in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Amazing thread KPS! I love reading about Barn Finds - never found much details about Indian Barn Finds - but finally we have one now.

The Bristol would also need a special mention here.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vinta...-all-odds.html (1948 Bristol 400 - Resurrection against all odds!)
Absolutely. I had requested Karl to do the honours for the Bristol in this thread.

Barn Finds are always exciting!

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 17:20   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for starting this thread. I love reading about barn finds!
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 20:30   #18
Senior - BHPian

Another one from Rajasthan, is this rare 1939 Ford V8 91A convertible sedan the car had 15000 miles on the odo and sat in a garage for almost 65 years.

As found largerly complete
Barn or Garage Finds in India-img_20150412_171846243.jpg

Barn or Garage Finds in India-img_20150412_163213347.jpg

Barn or Garage Finds in India-img_20150412_163227138_hdr.jpg

Barn or Garage Finds in India-img_20150412_171611338.jpg

At the 2019 Cartier Concours

Barn or Garage Finds in India-fb_img_1568127125554.jpg

Barn or Garage Finds in India-fb_img_1568127128461.jpg

Last edited by KartikeyaL : 10th September 2019 at 20:35.
KartikeyaL is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 20:47   #19
BHPian

Off-topic question:

Is there any legal structure in India that allows for barn finds/vintage/older cars to be registered legally? I can't imagine them passing pollution laws with period/orinigal engines. (And aren't modifying cars out of their homologated specs illegal in India?)

Last edited by raystriker : 10th September 2019 at 21:05.
raystriker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 22:23   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raystriker View Post
Off-topic question:

Is there any legal structure in India that allows for barn finds/vintage/older cars to be registered legally? I can't imagine them passing pollution laws with period/orinigal engines. (And aren't modifying cars out of their homologated specs illegal in India?)

Interesting question and I certainly would be interested to understand how this works in India. In Europe and the USA the system is fairly straightforward.

In essence cars need to comply with the rules and regulations of the year they were built in. That goes for everything, emissions, but also for instance safety. If safety belts were not mandatory at the time the car was built, they are not required now either.

Same for emissions. My classic cars, when going for their bi-annual MOT inspection are checked against emission requirements for the year they were built.

If anything it means, you can keep a car very original and still be completely road legal.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 07:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

Amazing thread. Good to see so many cars that we're almost dead, brought back to their original condition. How much does it cost approx. to get these in a working condition?
One thing - I don't see any Standard Heralds or Gazels here. Can someone share the stories of such finds with Standard cars? I think they need to be documented here.
W.A.G.7 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 13:17   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Barn and Garage Finds has always been of much interest across the world and there is a huge following, as historic vehicles are unearthed.

Wiki defines Barn Finds as below

Update on this car is that it has been sold on.

Cheers

KPS

Such a fantastic topic to build a thread. Hope to see a repository being built for future. This will be treasured by many who love to dig on classics and their history.

Highly appreciate for starting this
vigneshnr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 14:20   #23
BHPian

Great thread, thanks
One question: How does one manage to update to update RC or transfer RC in case of such cars especially given
  1. Nowadays there is some hefty fine per month for not renewing FC. Wouldn't it run into lakhs?
  2. Original RC would it be available for such cars? how does one get RTO to transfer without RC?
  3. If one has to buy and transfer to other state how does it work. Invoice and all?
  4. Many cases the original owner may have deceased and none bothered to transfer papers? how does one ensure clean transfer of ownership?

These questions have intrigued me for long. Look forward
vikramvicky1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 15:10   #24
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raystriker View Post
Off-topic question:
Is there any legal structure in India that allows for barn finds/vintage/older cars to be registered legally?
One has to follow the procedure as per the Indian Motor Vehicle Act. Most cases there will some paperwork work available, but there would be a lot of dues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Interesting question and I certainly would be interested to understand how this works in India.
Jeroen

Rule 92 (2)(c) of the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989 defines vintage cars that are more than 50 years old. Such vintage cars have some benefits in the form of lower Insurance Premium, Road Tax concession as per respective State Laws.

The vintage fraternity is trying the get additional concessions for vehicles over 50 years with respect to emission and fitness procedures, Fines etc. We understand that it is awaiting approval from Parliament.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
One question: How does one manage to update to update RC or transfer RC in case of such cars especially given
  1. Nowadays there is some hefty fine per month for not renewing FC. Wouldn't it run into lakhs?
  2. Original RC would it be available for such cars? how does one get RTO to transfer without RC?
  3. If one has to buy and transfer to other state how does it work. Invoice and all?
  4. Many cases the original owner may have deceased and none bothered to transfer papers? how does one ensure clean transfer of ownership?

These questions have intrigued me for long. Look forward
To answer your above questions
  1. This is factored in the price negotiations
  2. We need the RC Book. We will need to follow the process of applying for a duplicate RC after the payment of all the dues
  3. That is a challenge in some States. NCR will not register old cars. Invoices, Catalogues and Brochures from the Net could be source for determining the price
  4. If there is a Will it is easy. However, in the absence of Will, we will need to get a legal heir certificate. The car will first be transferred to the legal heir who will sign the transfer papers

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
How much does it cost approx. to get these in a working condition?
You can burn your hands very badly easily if you pick the wrong project. Even if you have the money, the mechanic and workmen can frustrate you without any end. The quality of restoration you want to achieve is key to the final cost. Replacement or repair or modifications with local parts, etc are decision which can drill a deep hole in your pocket.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 17:27   #25
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

By far my favourite thread right now . There’s something mystical about cars that no one has seen, stuck in a time warp and unrestored.
Preservation class cars are priceless in my book , as long as they can be safely kept that way.
howler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 23:21   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hello KPS. Very interesting and informative thread. Thank you for creating a thread for Barn finds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
[b]

Reason why the car is very collectible is
  1. Originality
  2. Preservation Class

Update on this car is that it has been sold on.

Cheers

KPS
I tried searching in Google for 1938 DKW F7 Coupe Cabriolet pics. The Google's pics appears a lot different than the one posted by you. Is this DKW altered?
Old 12th September 2019, 00:08   #27
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

A ponton Mercedes that was seen in Santacruz, Mumbai. Had enquired and it was for sale a few years ago. Disappeared now so no idea on its whereabouts.
Attached Thumbnails
Barn or Garage Finds in India-screenshot_20190911195943170_com.instagram.android2.png  

Last edited by v12 : 12th September 2019 at 00:25.
v12 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 08:18   #28
Senior - BHPian

This 1934 Chevrolet in Rajasthan hasn't been on the roads for atleast 60+ years, a very original car still on factory paint.

Barn or Garage Finds in India-img_20180624_194053_643.jpg

Barn or Garage Finds in India-img20161107wa0004.jpg

Barn or Garage Finds in India-img20161107wa0005.jpg
KartikeyaL is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 12:29   #29
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Another famous barn find - Rolls Royce Silver Shadow from Khandala / Lonavala, Maharashtra.

More details here : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vinta...er-shadow.html (The mystery of the Khandala Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow!)
Attached Thumbnails
Barn or Garage Finds in India-psx_20190912_12171101.jpeg  

v12 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 13:14   #30
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

I received this Whatsapp forward on this wonderful and very recent BarnFind. Since these pictures are on the public domain, I am posting the same here.

This is a beautiful late 1920's Oakland

Barn or Garage Finds in India-image1.jpeg

Barn or Garage Finds in India-image2.jpeg

Barn or Garage Finds in India-image3.jpeg

Barn or Garage Finds in India-image4.jpeg

Appears to be landaulette
Barn or Garage Finds in India-2-1.jpeg

Barn or Garage Finds in India-2-2.jpeg

Barn or Garage Finds in India-2-3.jpeg

Cheers

KPS

Last edited by KPS : 16th September 2019 at 13:27.
KPS is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks