Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2010, 20:27   #3181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururaj r View Post
Nowadays I am seeing many a taxis making a rectangular hole above the petrol / diesel filling point at the back and also just behind head lamps (on the sides). I thought it was a one off thing but many a taxis carry this rectangular cutting on their sides (30 cms x 15 cms) - without opening the hoods engine bay or dickey one can see what is kept inside.
Any idea what purpose this serves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by allana13 View Post
I agree the CNG has to go
but its not a engine, its actually a KIT that can be removed.
Even if needed the engines would be available in Kurla so would the original bits i suppose.
The best Kept Taxis are generally outside 5 Star Hotels.
Not very much conservant with how the CNG thingy works.
But good to know that it can be removed. What about the condition of the engines available at Kurla? Another issue will be with regards to the emission standard, considering that we are a BS IV city now!
Old 1st October 2010, 20:48   #3182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolBolero View Post
Besides that all the original parts, trims, etc. Considering the difficulties faced by most of the restorers here, I guess none of the existing premier/ fiat taxi owners would want spend their money and time trying to find and source these parts. So in that case would the car be still a "Classic Car"? !
The idea is to get it as close as possible. I mean, it need not be a "Fiat Delight", it can be an original "Padmini", and still look the part well. Padmini spares are still not that much of a problem. (Thought they will soon be, and this is an issue that needs to be addressed)
Quote:
Originally Posted by allana13 View Post
The best Kept Taxis are generally outside 5 Star Hotels.
Yes, don't they look sweet and chaka-chak ??
Quote:
Another issue will be with regards to the emission standard, considering that we are a BS IV city now!
Since these are primarily old cars, the BS IV thing will not be applicable. Besides, most of the Fiats on this forum pass the regular PUC test with flying colours. So even that will not be a hurdle provided they're maintained.

Edit: Gautam da, thank you for dropping in on this thread !!

Last edited by SuperSelect : 1st October 2010 at 20:50.
Old 1st October 2010, 21:37   #3183
Senior - BHPian

Fiat in need of help

Spotted in the by lanes of Churchgate. Dont want to see it going to the choppers.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Classic Car Club - Mumbai-img00023201010011820.jpg  

Old 1st October 2010, 21:51   #3184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Spotted in the by lanes of Churchgate. Dont want to see it going to the choppers.
Is she very badly rusting ? Which road please ? A/B/C/D ?
Old 1st October 2010, 21:57   #3185
Senior - BHPian

fiat in need of help

i think C road outside hari niwas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Is she very badly rusting ? Which road please ? A/B/C/D ?
Old 2nd October 2010, 10:51   #3186
BHPian

FCCCI Meet postponed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
So What are you guys planning for the 1st sunday of October?
Quote:
Originally Posted by President View Post
Its been a long time since we've met at DPC and hogged at TANGY TOMATO, so looks like we should be spending the Sunday in that area.
If the rain Gods permit then I want to fire up my PRESIDENT and bring her out of hibernation since she has overslept this time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
Great idea. I am in, and if its a dry day (no puns intended), shall get 4979 to give your President some company while we hog at Tangys.
Sunday, 3rd Oct FCCCI meet:-
Guess, we have to postpone the meet indefinately to the 3rd or 4th Sunday now, due to lack of confirmations and fear of getting our babies soaked with the inconsistent showers. This gives us sufficient time to shine them up chak aah chak and have them ready to go, then.
Old 2nd October 2010, 11:29   #3187
BHPian

Quote:
Sounds like an idea, which might just about work.

Agree with you on all the above.

Just a few queries:
When you talk of the restoration of the "KAALI PEELI" there has to be some criteria in place for making it as original as possible.
The first thing that comes to mind is the engine. The CNG engine, in my opinion has to go! Are there original engines still available in the second hand market? Besides that all the original parts, trims, etc. Considering the difficulties faced by most of the restorers here, I guess none of the existing premier/ fiat taxi owners would want spend their money and time trying to find and source these parts. So in that case would the car be still a "Classic Car"? And if it isn't, do you think someone would want to pay extra for a "classic car taxi ride"? I wouldn't mind paying extra for a heritage ride, but then again, the car has to be upto the mark, like the cars of the FCCCI members.
If this has to be taken forward all the fiat lovers will have to be actively involved in the project!
>>> You have hit the spot.

Below is a WIP listing of the criteria for 'Mumbai Darshan in Fiat Classic Taxis' :

1. Certainty of restoration to 'factory fresh levels' (of Fiats circa 1950s-1960s-1970s-1980s, CNG is a strict no-no) basis availability of reasonably priced spares and sub -assemblies
[This can only be vetted by Fiat experts; if Fiats of a certain year or model can't be fully restored, we'll have to leave it out, regretfully]

2. Selection of Fiats ( if and only if criterion #1 is satisfied)
3. Networking with government agencies ( Ministry/department of road transport, tourism, environment etc.) to push the case
4. Restoration of selected Fiats
5. Selection & training of drivers
6. Finalisation of - routes, fare structure (premium,on cost plus basis to recover investments), service quality ( driving style, etiquette), complaints & redressal, feedback [ Falls under governance]

Please add to the list. I am convinced that this can only work if criteria #1 and 3 are fully met. The FCCCI should be the consultants to this endeavour. If government agencies wish to take the 'credit' for this and tomtom Mumbai as a tourist friendly city, so be it. As long as a few classic, fully restored Fiats run to provide a one- of- a- kind experience. Maybe the tourism department would like to club this with heritage sightseeing tours of British and pre-British era buildings in the island city, going forward.

In fact, once this happens, I see no reason why other classic cars of Bombay (that I normally get to see in old Dev Anand and Guru Dutt films) cannot be brought to life. That will surely make Bombay a more graceful city.

Regards, drive safe

Last edited by issigonis : 2nd October 2010 at 11:40. Reason: Corrected grammatical errors, added some points
Old 3rd October 2010, 21:41   #3188
Senior - BHPian

@Ravi: A fantastic thought you got to save the Fiat taxis of Mumbai.

As all you guys are suggesting, Mumbai needs to have some really well restored TAXIs which can be run as special tours, may be special Mumbai Darshan in traditional FIAT taxi!

Use the power of FCCCI to do something about saving some taxi Fiats.
Old 3rd October 2010, 22:17   #3189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
@Ravi: A fantastic thought you got to save the Fiat taxis of Mumbai.
Use the power of FCCCI to do something about saving some taxi Fiats.
Thanks Karthik ! Waiting for more inputs / ideas / responses, and we'll seriously take this ahead..
FCCCI guys, where are you ? Do something soon, or she's going to disappear into the darkness..
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Classic Car Club - Mumbai-taxi-8.jpg  

Last edited by SuperSelect : 3rd October 2010 at 22:19.
Old 6th October 2010, 00:27   #3190
Senior - BHPian

I regularly see this almost-daily-runner Millecento at Lalbaug, in central Mumbai.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Classic Car Club - Mumbai-millecento-lalbaug.jpg  

Old 6th October 2010, 03:13   #3191

That car has been there for years on end. Good to see some of the nonsense removed. But this car is in very very bad shape.
Old 6th October 2010, 21:26   #3192
BHPian

Hey guys, just for my information, which is the first fiat model name and year of launch in India?
Old 6th October 2010, 22:03   #3193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutwij View Post
Hey guys, just for my information, which is the first fiat model name and year of launch in India?
Here's a very informative thread by Karl on Classics Built/Assembled in India with a post on Fiats. I am unable to use the permalink feature from my phone hence I am posting a link to the main thread itself. It will surely help.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...tml#post264501

Regards,
Adheesh

Last edited by adheesh : 6th October 2010 at 22:13.
Old 7th October 2010, 22:16   #3194
BHPian

Thank you adheesh, will definately go through it.
Old 8th October 2010, 15:58   #3195
BHPian

Is this grill is original or not ??

Is this grill on a Premier Padmini is original one or the aftermarket one ??
See this today after seeing one on 137D taxi few days ago.
(BTW, started preparing the list of Premier Padmini taxis having Chromodora Italiano grill in last week & now the count is 8, will post the registration numbers of taxis once the count is 10)
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Classic Car Club - Mumbai-photo0002.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks