Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2008, 16:21   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Karl Mr Jaikumar Bhandari has one known as the Tin Lizzie and she is in your good ol poona
Yes Amol, I had mentioned it in the previous post. Here it is again. Did you happen to get any pics of it? I couldnt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
There was a nice one that recently came to Pune from Dehradun, DLJ regd I think. It was personally maintained (including painted!) by the previous owner for over 60 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Their website still says,
"Vintage - Cars & Motorcycles built before 1940
Classics - Cars & Motorcycles built between 1941 - 1960
Recent Classics - Cars built between 1961 - 1970"
VCCCI
Well, thats what the classification used to be. I supposed it was revised but not updated, adding 'Modern Classics'. Many emails Ive sent to the VCCCI have gone unanswered.
Old 28th February 2008, 17:53   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For starters you could teach him how to spell Willys, not Willyx!
Maybe he though that Willy's would sue him if they found out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
[b]Some more car pics
...owned by The Mole. I think it is also the oldest on the road in India. Correct me if im wrong Amol. Beautiful and immaculate restoration job.

Would like to post an Edit:

Well I have to admit that I might have been a tad bit wrong re the above. The Mole's car is registered as BML which is later than a BMC registration and there's a similar 1956 BMC registered 180D Ponton, belonging to Zavareh Doctor of the MAI and he has "Politely" bought this to my notice. Hence The Mole's car is now amongst the oldest on the road, not the oldest, making Zavo's car the oldest known to me. Please correct me again if im wrong....!!
Old 28th February 2008, 17:58   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Would like to post an Edit:

Well I have to admit that I might have been a tad bit wrong re the above. The Mole's car is registered as BML which is later than a BMC registration and there's a similar 1956 BMC registered 180D Ponton, belonging to Zavareh Doctor of the MAI and he has "Politely" bought this to my notice. Hence The Mole's car is now amongst the oldest on the road, not the oldest, making Zavo's car the oldest known to me. Please correct me again if im wrong....!!
Err, Gogiji, BML predates BMC.

Excuse me while I run for cover from Zavo.
Old 28th February 2008, 18:59   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Err, Gogiji, BML predates BMC.

Excuse me while I run for cover from Zavo.
Karl-uncle you ARE D-E-A-D!! I dont think BMC is after BML (even by chronological standards)
In that case Zavo your car is not the oldest...nyah-nyah-na-nyah-na!! Ill leave it to you numberplate buffs. Anyways they are both 1956s and both 180Ds so their vintage would be just a few months here and there, (hope this diplomacy keeps Zavo out of my hair) like in twins they have an older and younger sibling (by even a few minutes...and in Hindi films the older gets christened "Bhaiyya or Didi" so whos the Didi here eh??

Last edited by V-16 : 28th February 2008 at 19:15.
Old 28th February 2008, 20:01   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Karl-uncle you ARE D-E-A-D!! I dont think BMC is after BML (even by chronological standards)
In that case Zavo your car is not the oldest...nyah-nyah-na-nyah-na!! Ill leave it to you numberplate buffs. Anyways they are both 1956s and both 180Ds so their vintage would be just a few months here and there, (hope this diplomacy keeps Zavo out of my hair) like in twins they have an older and younger sibling (by even a few minutes...and in Hindi films the older gets christened "Bhaiyya or Didi" so whos the Didi here eh??
As far as I know the series in Bombay went BMW, BMX, BMY, BMZ, BMU, BML, BMC, BMF, BMH, MRW, MRX, MRY, MRZ etc.

Let me explain it in terms Im more comfortable with...Fiats!

BML 1960, BML 1963, BML 5070, BML 5601, BML 6137, BML 6149 are all 55-56 model Fiats, the earliest Millecentos. BML carried over to the earliest of the centre light Fiats, example BML 7008, BML 7525, BML 8114, BML 8684, BML 9367. The 56-7 centre light Fiats continued with BMC, example BMC 1317. My Triumph is regd in 57 as BMC 935. BMC 6622, BMC 7921, BMC 7672 are all "select" models, from 58 onwards. Then started BMF.

Amol, please step in.
Old 28th February 2008, 20:36   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As far as I know the series in Bombay went BMW, BMX, BMY, BMZ, BMU, BML, BMC, BMF, BMH, MRW, MRX, MRY, MRZ etc.

Let me explain it in terms Im more comfortable with...Fiats!

BML 1960, BML 1963, BML 5070, BML 5601, BML 6137, BML 6149 are all 55-56 model Fiats, the earliest Millecentos. BML carried over to the earliest of the centre light Fiats, example BML 7008, BML 7525, BML 8114, BML 8684, BML 9367. The 56-7 centre light Fiats continued with BMC, example BMC 1317. My Triumph is regd in 57 as BMC 935. BMC 6622, BMC 7921, BMC 7672 are all "select" models, from 58 onwards. Then started BMF.

Amol, please step in.
well dont forget the Maharaja of Udaipur and his 1956 180D, but that is later than mine, purely based on its internal door lever handles. If zavo can share his engine no and chassis no we can settle the issue immediately. It should be an interesting online excercise. In any case my ponton is early 1956 my chassis is early 56 and my engine is from late 55.
Old 28th February 2008, 21:42   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Some VWs at the rally.

A pair of nice early Bugs, a 58 and an orange 64. Gogi, I hope you recognised the orange car?

A couple of yellow bugs. I remember seeing the first one up for sale on eBay recently

2 nicely done orange VWs, a 74 Super Beetle cabriolet and a baywindow Microbus.

A heavily accessorized rare 67 Beetle. Note the period roof mounted swamp cooler.

Old 28th February 2008, 21:57   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Some VWs at the rally.

A pair of nice early Bugs, a 58 and an orange 64. Gogi, I hope you recognised the orange car?
Was Gogi a former owner of the car?
Old 28th February 2008, 22:00   #84
Senior - BHPian

these are the door panels of my car.
compare the door handles with the Maharaja's car these are 53-late 56 model year handles.
Old 28th February 2008, 22:15   #85
Senior - BHPian

There's a 56 (I think looking at the rear num plate lamp) 220s down south, LHD, and in the same colour as amol's 180. Another contender for the oldest??
Old 28th February 2008, 22:27   #86
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Karl :
Did the rooftop swamp cooler, use a wet-mat of Vetiver-fibre (Khus) as is common in India, or Cedarwood-shavings?
Ram

Last edited by Ram : 28th February 2008 at 22:42.
Old 29th February 2008, 00:36   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some VWs at the rally.

Of course I did. I wish he had maintained the original Creamish colour. Looked better in that colour

Last edited by V-16 : 29th February 2008 at 00:37.
Old 29th February 2008, 09:57   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Was Gogi a former owner of the car?
Nope, was trying to be a future owner.

Coincidentally a flat bed trailor parked outside had a nice yellow super beetle mounted on it for display. MMU 912. That was Gogis!
Old 29th February 2008, 10:27   #89
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Gentlemen, with reference to your discussion on number plate series please note that, for example, APX and APY series didn't necessarily imply APX preceded APY.

In those days surrounding areas of a city were referred to as Atraaf Baldiya (in Hyderabad) and simultaneously vehicles were registered with APX or APY depending which municipal/RTO zone they corresponded to. All Hyderabad RTA cars were APX and surrounding area cars like Trimulgiri, Bowenpally etc were APY. If I recall correctly APX was followed in Hyderabad with ADX and APY series continued independently for the surrounding areas.

The same logic based on zones will apply to other cities around India
Old 29th February 2008, 11:18   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nope, was trying to be a future owner.

Coincidentally a flat bed trailor parked outside had a nice yellow super beetle mounted on it for display. MMU 912. That was Gogis!
thanks for rubbing salt to my wounds karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Gentlemen, with reference to your discussion on number plate series please note that, for example, APX and APY series didn't necessarily imply APX preceded APY.

In those days surrounding areas of a city were referred to as Atraaf Baldiya (in Hyderabad) and simultaneously vehicles were registered with APX or APY depending which municipal/RTO zone they corresponded to. All Hyderabad RTA cars were APX and surrounding area cars like Trimulgiri, Bowenpally etc were APY. If I recall correctly APX was followed in Hyderabad with ADX and APY series continued independently for the surrounding areas.

The same logic based on zones will apply to other cities around India
Karl you have competition but i doubt DKG (no offence meant mate) would also have the regd nos of other states by heart too!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks