Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2008, 01:50   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elmgreen View Post
Here are details of all XKs sold new in India. XK120 OTS rhd:
660361, Pastel Blue, Duo Blue, Fawn, Dec 50 HD, first owner James Brown Braid, Albemarle Terrace, Scotland, nothing further known.
The description of this car most resembles the XK120 I used to see in the Bihar coalfields in the 1960s.
Old 16th May 2008, 03:54   #32

At least 6-7 Years ago, there was this small exhibition set up at Kala Ghoda and i was passing by with my granny and stopped and there was an XK120 there. At the time, i had just been given an XK model by my Aunt a couple of months ago and thus instantly recognised that car. And the owner apparently was standing besides the car and listening to people talking about it. So when i told my grandmother that the car was a Jaguar Xk 120 Roadster, the guy seemed pretty happy that i knew what car it was and thus allowed me to sit in it and even showed me the engine. I clearly remember that there were these two huge carbs. The guy also started it up for me and ohhh boy was it music to my years. After the nice experience of the jag, i noticed that there was an Austin Healy right next to it. The healy was a car i had always loved since my childhood and i instantly recognised that too and thus was lucky enough to get to sit in that too..Made my day. Will remember distinctly as i had gone to Rythm House to buy myself a casette. If i recollect, The Jag was Either Dark Blue or Black and the Healy was Black. And one of them was owned by Nehru. I dont remember which one. I think it was the Healy....

EDIT: the Jags owner was a parsi fellow.
Old 16th May 2008, 04:37   #33
BHPian

"CK Singh of Bhinga" XK120.

In the posting by SAT on another thread he notes "CK Singh of Bhinga" as having an XK120. I assume he is a well known identity/royalty?
At what time did he have the 120 ?

5 CK Singh of Bhinga, he had a xk120 too.
Old 16th May 2008, 15:40   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry mcgrath View Post
In the posting by SAT on another thread he notes "CK Singh of Bhinga" as having an XK120. I assume he is a well known identity/royalty?
At what time did he have the 120 ?
5 CK Singh of Bhinga, he had a xk120 too.
My previous post mentions 1968. Others might have later records too. Bhinga was a taluqdari (a type of landholding) estate in the Bahraich district of Uttar Pradesh state. This kind of landholding was abolished by land reform legislation in 1951.
There is no royalty in India which has been a republic since 1950. However, Indian presspersons are fond of the expression. Some of the kingdoms and prinicipalities, which either survived or emerged from the dissolution of the Mughal Empire (in some cases ruled by families far older than the Mughals or most European ruling families) were organised from the early nineteenth century into the so-called native states by the British who, however, exercised ultimate and decisive control labelled paramountcy through a Resident or Political Agent. They did much the same in Africa with the traditional chiefs. After 1950, these entities retained some residual privileges such as privy purses, personal number plates etc. which were abolished around 1970. On account of enduring tradition, many of these families continue to enjoy the esteem of the populace in their former territories.
Old 16th May 2008, 18:16   #35
BHPian

Thank you all for your valuable contributions to our researches. Everything you have said that could be tied at some future date to a particular identified XK has been recorded for later checking. Your further contributions are also encouraged and will be appreciated. Photographs are especially useful in trying to identify cars, as we can often see some distinguishing characteristic in them.
Is there any way of searching Indian car registration records to ascertain identification numbers, owners etc?
Thank you Chhayant for the explanations about Indian 'royalty'.
This explained why the XK120 bought new by the Maharaja of Jaipur at one stage carried the registration plate JAIPUR but no longer does so. I also understand that his famous wife was responsible for having the ban lifted on women travelling in open carriages in India.
Can you please advise if there would be any objection to our using any of the photographs posted by various list members?
Old 16th May 2008, 19:51   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can you please advise if there would be any objection to our using any of the photographs posted by various list members?
Im sure most of us would be more than happy to share the images with you, but to be on the safe side do let us know which particular images you require, so we can check who posted them (not necessarily meaning that member 'owns' it). For eg, I have posted many images I have come across on various other websites, so for those images, permission needn't be taken from me, but from the original owner.
Old 17th May 2008, 02:16   #37
Senior - BHPian

khanak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2008, 10:46   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Im sure most of us would be more than happy to share the images with you, but to be on the safe side do let us know which particular images you require, so we can check who posted them (not necessarily meaning that member 'owns' it). For eg, I have posted many images I have come across on various other websites, so for those images, permission needn't be taken from me, but from the original owner.
Thanks, karlosdeville. So long as members of this forum have no objection, then that is probably as far as we can go in any practical sense. Trying to track down those who originally took pics and posted them to other websites and which were then picked up by you and others would be an impossible task - even assuming you had an exact record of where you picked a photo up from. Even then, it might be 2nd / 3rd hand.
Old 17th May 2008, 12:30   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

I found this one on the vintage car club of Pakistan website.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Jaguar XK120/140/150 in India-jag01.jpg  

Old 17th May 2008, 14:34   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, karlosdeville. So long as members of this forum have no objection, then that is probably as far as we can go in any practical sense. Trying to track down those who originally took pics and posted them to other websites and which were then picked up by you and others would be an impossible task - even assuming you had an exact record of where you picked a photo up from. Even then, it might be 2nd / 3rd hand.
Im not sure if you want to use the pictures taken by me, but if you do, feel free to use them.
Old 17th May 2008, 17:29   #41
BHPian

XK120 abandoned on outskirts Delhi

this article appeared in English Classic & Sportscar may 2003.
Does anyone know what happened to the car and does anyone have any better pics of the car and even more importantly a chassis number
regards
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Jaguar XK120/140/150 in India-img880-cs-503.jpg  

Old 17th May 2008, 23:08   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry mcgrath View Post
this article appeared in English Classic & Sportscar may 2003.
Does anyone know what happened to the car and does anyone have any better pics of the car and even more importantly a chassis number
regards
I remember the article. Aniruddh Kasliwal goes by the name 'kasli' on the forum. Awini on the forum also seemed to know the car, perhaps he can help us here.
Old 19th May 2008, 05:30   #43
BHPian

XK120 in Dhanbad

Chhayanat
You note this car was obtained by your grandather for the second owner what was your grandfather's name and the name of his business presumably a caryard?
Would there be any chance that a photo survives of the car?
terry
[quote=Chhayanat;816933]The XK120 in Dhanbad was obtained for the second owner by my grandfather. The first owner was the director of a British firm in Calcutta. It was often kept in my grandfather's showroom in the 1960s, and I remember trying to start it: reaching the pedals while peering over the steering wheels was'nt easy for a ten year old. I remember the owner telling me how he crossed 100 mph on the Ranchi-Jamshedpur highway but was forced to reduce speed by the panic-stricken recitation by his passenger of each mile per hour over 100: "Ek sau ek, ek sau do, ek sau teen...." It was almost the same colour as the Imperial Hotel car, perhaps more on the powder blue side and a shade lighter, and right hand drive.
Old 19th May 2008, 17:29   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Im not sure i agree with you here. Since the material will be published and sold commercially it would be better to identify each individual photo you want to use, and obtain permission and credit from the owner.
Old 19th May 2008, 17:51   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Im not sure i agree with you here. Since the material will be published and sold commercially it would be better to identify each individual photo you want to use, and obtain permission and credit from the owner.
I think it is normal for commercial users to seek written permission for pictures and citations from published or unpublished works. Therefore, I second what karlosdeville has written above.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks