Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2009, 14:13   #106
BHPian

I know you guys will kick me for this; but here goes...

I met Dr. Ravi Prakash at his farmhouse today. Checked out his entire collection. And guess what - I forgot to take my camera!

I was bowled over by his E-Type and the XK 140. I actually sat on them!!!

I had the most memorable morning today
Old 18th February 2009, 16:52   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooney View Post
I know you guys will kick me for this; but here goes...

I met Dr. Ravi Prakash at his farmhouse today. Checked out his entire collection. And guess what - I forgot to take my camera!

I was bowled over by his E-Type and the XK 140. I actually sat on them!!!

I had the most memorable morning today
Hey Gooney,

Nobody will kick you except you yourself. Almost all of Docs cars have been seen on this forum before, many shown during events and otherwise also. Like the Cartier event, there were 4 of his cars.

I cannot imagine Doc will allow you to sit on his cars, try to sit in them, it is so much more cool.

Yes, he has a lovely collection. How many Packards did you see?
Cheers, harit
Old 18th February 2009, 18:35   #108
Senior - BHPian

Hi all.

Regarding Docs collection when I had seen around ten years ago he was exclusively focussed on Jaguars and Mercs. He had this lovely Stutgart merc and other and an Austin A40 sports two door convertible that ws really cute.

Nice to see and hear about all his cars now.

By the way how many Packards does he have ???
Old 18th February 2009, 22:33   #109
BHPian

xk140 restoration

I'm helping a friend of mine who has an xk 140! which has been in a shed for last 15 years.. after a lot of effort have got him to restore it.. but does not want it shipped out of city or spend much on it or sell it.. any help that can provided will be great..
Old 18th February 2009, 23:24   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Hi all.

Regarding Docs collection when I had seen around ten years ago he was exclusively focussed on Jaguars and Mercs. He had this lovely Stutgart merc and other and an Austin A40 sports two door convertible that ws really cute.
I was told that he also had a few cars from Hyderabad (no idea which ones though), formerly owned by Dewan Bahadur Padmarao Mudhaliar's family- still said to be with their original HYX regn.?

Did you come across any of these cars as well there?

Last edited by Stanher : 18th February 2009 at 23:26.
Old 19th February 2009, 09:06   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damanthakore View Post
I'm helping a friend of mine who has an xk 140! which has been in a shed for last 15 years.. after a lot of effort have got him to restore it.. but does not want it shipped out of city or spend much on it or sell it.. any help that can provided will be great..
For starting to restore such a rare and desirable car that is not a very encouraging line!

For starters can you share some pictures of the car in its current state? We can then hazard a guess as to what the extent of work required is, and accordingly point you to someone in Ahmedabad who can be of help.
Old 19th February 2009, 12:18   #112
BHPian

Please find herewith the current pictures of the xk 140
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Jaguar XK120/140/150 in India-xk140front.jpg  

Vintage Jaguar XK120/140/150 in India-xk140back.jpg  

Vintage Jaguar XK120/140/150 in India-inside.jpg  

Vintage Jaguar XK120/140/150 in India-carbs.jpg  

Vintage Jaguar XK120/140/150 in India-engine.jpg  

Vintage Jaguar XK120/140/150 in India-enginebay.jpg  

damanthakore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2009, 12:41   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Mr. Daman Thakor

This is Subodh Nath, I restore Vintages, you could ask your friend to call me or send it to us. Nath Auto Tech. I think I know who this car belongs to, he knows are family well. Right now we are restoring a couple of cars if he wants to check it out.

Regards
Subodh Nath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2009, 18:53   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Earlier when I made a small note on XK Jags, this is the second hand car brought back from abroad, it was not sold new by any dealer here. Check the engine, quite a special car.
With a lot of effort she is now to be restored. That is good news. There are three conditions put for restoration.
Not to leave Ahmedabad. Surely Mr. Nath can help.
Not spend much. Huh?
Not to sell. This I appreciate, but if one were to keep the car, it should either be restored properly (and spend quite a bit of money) or it should be locked away. Unfortunately the car is in a very bad shape. When was she used last? A good service is immediately required, but will she run properly after that? I think that the second condition is going to kill the project. Do not mean to be rude in anyway, but we should be realistic. You have to do engine work, wood work, chrome and paint. No point in doing piecemeal work.
I really hope this car gets done as well as the XK 120 in Kolkotta.
The car is valuable, now one has to spend on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Hi all.

Nice to see and hear about all his cars now.

By the way how many Packards does he have ???
Hi, slight error. Doc does have Jags and Mercs, somehow an excessive quantity of them. But at one time he was focusing on Continental cars, he shunned American cars. So besides Jags and Mercs, there is the Delage, Sunbeam-Talbot, Austins, Fords, Fiats, Sunbeam without Talbot, Sentinel steam trucks, Alfa etc. And then he started to collect Americans also.
The Austin A40 came from Bandra, Mumbai, and his Austin Healey is also from Bombay. In the last 10 years the collection has certainly grown. We wait till his Packards are all there and then we will see how many there will be. Certainly more than one!

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st February 2009 at 12:26. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread.
Old 21st February 2009, 04:10   #115
BHPian

XK140 DHC rhd ia Ahmedabad

Dear Damathakore, Thank you so much for the pictures of the XK140. It is a Drop Head Coupe and of course right hand drive, so I assume it may have come from England. The seats are not the original style, but the car looks to be quite complete. Can you get the numbers for me from the identification plate in the engine compartment? I will then send you information as to where the car was sold new and let you know if there is any other known history of the car. I look forward to hearing from you. Regards, John Elmgreen elmgreen@ihug.com.au
Old 21st February 2009, 11:53   #116
BHPian

Chhayanat, you refer to this car being in the Bihar coalfields. Is this a reference to coalfields around Dhanbad which were owned or run by people from the state of Bihar? Please excuse my poor knowledge about India. regards, John Elmgreen

Xk 140 Photos
Dear Damathakore, I see that the windscreen has a sticker or stickers on it, can you let me know what they say? Also the resgistration number has been obscured - can you advise the registration number? It might be the old UK registration plate, which would help establish its history. Regards, John Elmgreen elmgreen@ihug.com.au

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st February 2009 at 12:27. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post.
Old 21st February 2009, 14:10   #117
BHPian

Quote:
I remember seeing this car from many years. Its many years since last saw the road. I know it had over heating problem. Its sad too see this car in this condition. i remember seeing it in in my childhood in originsl condition. wish you restore the car to its glory with the right people. I can guide you if u want my no. 9825067272. subodh nath.
Old 24th February 2009, 00:52   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elmgreen View Post
Chhayanat, you refer to this car being in the Bihar coalfields. Is this a reference to coalfields around Dhanbad which were owned or run by people from the state of Bihar? Please excuse my poor knowledge about India. regards, John Elmgreen

Xk 140 Photos
Dear Damathakore, I see that the windscreen has a sticker or stickers on it, can you let me know what they say? Also the resgistration number has been obscured - can you advise the registration number? It might be the old UK registration plate, which would help establish its history. Regards, John Elmgreen elmgreen@ihug.com.au
The Indian state of Bihar where Dhanbad was located is now the Indian state of Jharkhand, where Dhanbad is now located. The coalfields are still there.
Please have a look at some of the websites in the domain nic.in.They have a lot of official information about India; not always well arranged but there, nevertheless.
Best wishes,
Chhayanat
Old 24th February 2009, 16:44   #119
BHPian

Dhanbad - Jaguars

Chhayanat,
Thank you for that information. When did Dhanbad's state change?
- John Elmgreen
Old 19th March 2009, 23:45   #120
sat
BHPian

bhinga car...

Quote:
Hi Sat, is this Bhinga car now silver and in Jaipur belonging to V.Singh (Maybe a relative of Raja CK Singh). very few cars with the rear wheel covers that i have seen, hence my doubt if it is the same car that i saw. could you throw some light.
Do not think the bhinga car is in Jaipur, the registration no of the Bhinga Car was WBD 933.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks