Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2008, 05:15   #46
BHPian

XK120's Bombay

please see the cutting below re possible formation of Indian Motor Sport Club -- did this occur?
Some interesting cars mentioned AFS having a riley imp and sprite very nice
328 BMW
4 XK120's
does anyone know who this AFS is or was
terry
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Jaguar XK120/140/150 in India-copy-india-autosport-2221952.jpg  

Old 20th May 2008, 09:20   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry mcgrath View Post
please see the cutting below re possible formation of Indian Motor Sport Club -- did this occur?
Some interesting cars mentioned AFS having a riley imp and sprite very nice
328 BMW
4 XK120's
does anyone know who this AFS is or was
terry
Talyarkhan was a well known Parsee sports writer as I remember, famous in the cricketing circles.
Old 20th May 2008, 09:59   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

My father further tells me he had a very popular show on the radio on cricket commentary as well. Does anybody here remember it? Apparently had a cool and catchy name which dad doesn't recall at the moment.
Old 20th May 2008, 17:02   #49
BHPian

Indian motor vehicle registration details

Indian motor vehicle registration details
dear all
In many countries the goverment have kept old motor vehicle registration records and these can be accessed under certain conditions to obtaine old registration records o previous owners etc.
Certainly in India today records of all cars currently on the road will be recorded.
Does anyone know i anything like this survives they may be held in the individual states or?
Additionally cars in england had a logbook which gave details of initial registration colour etc and then recorded changes o ownership what documentation is there or an indian car irst registered in the 1930's or early 1950's.
It would be great to get a sample of one of these documents if somthing exists for an SS or an XK
terry
Old 20th May 2008, 19:13   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Im not sure i agree with you here. Since the material will be published and sold commercially it would be better to identify each individual photo you want to use, and obtain permission and credit from the owner.
Yes, you are quite right, except that 'commercially' is not actually the issue. This is why I asked if anyone here had any objection. It is partly a question of practicality of course. I guess if we cannot locate who took a picture, we may decide not to use it at all, so that noone is upset even if they cannot be found, and there is a limit to how much time you can spend trying to track this sort of thing down. There is of course no difference legally between taking a picture and posting it to this website, and taking the same picture and putting it in a book, but people on the net do it freely as if permission is assumed. I assume you have had no complaints about posting pictures here, taken from other websites, whether with or without permission.
Old 20th May 2008, 22:10   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elmgreen View Post
It is partly a question of practicality of course. I guess if we cannot locate who took a picture, we may decide not to use it at all, so that noone is upset even if they cannot be found, and there is a limit to how much time you can spend trying to track this sort of thing down.
We are required to mention the source of the photo we upload borrowed from other sites, and try to fullfill that as far as possible. I admit, we dont follow it everytime and we should. Regards to finding the owner of each photo being impractical, just let us know which ones interest you, and lets see what we can do. No harm in trying to locate each one is there?

Just to be clear, I didnt follow what you meant by "commercially is not the issue". I understand that you are writing a book to be sold commercially. Am I right or have we misunderstood you?

Cheers
Karl
Old 21st May 2008, 01:04   #52

Quote:
I found this one on the vintage car club of Pakistan website.
hi Karl! this was the only known XK 120 in Pakistan but sadly was exported to London by it's owner to make some quick bucks. There is an XK 150 Roadster in Lahore - will post pics once I get a hang of this site. This is by the way my first post.

lovely car this blue xk. This pic was taken during the Delhi - Simla heritage Drive in Oct 2005. I am standing next to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
the blue delhi car is an alloy body, if i remember right its the first right hand drive car, apart from these there is another alloy in jaipur, still with the royal family, a single owner 120 on the outskirts of delhi lying in a field, with an austin healey 100?, and a LHD 120 in bombay, in primer for many years.
Quote:
I found this one on the vintage car club of Pakistan website.
This picture of the XK in Pakistan was taken by me and posted on [VCCP] - Vintage&Classic Car Club of Pakistan
Mohsin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2008, 16:06   #53
BHPian

Quote:
My father further tells me he had a very popular show on the radio on cricket commentary as well. Does anybody here remember it? Apparently had a cool and catchy name which dad doesn't recall at the moment.
The internet has several references and one of these is cited in paraphrase:
Ardeshir Furdorji Sohrabji 'Bobby' Talyarkhan, popularly known as A F S. Talyarkhan, was an Indian cricket writer. He had a column in the Bombay tabloid weekly Blitz.
Anyone who read Blitz (my grandfather liked the paper) could not fail to notice his column labelled "Knock out" or "How's that?" (I forget the name now) with his pipe-smoking picture in the inset.
Chhayanat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2008, 19:56   #54
BHPian

Mohsin, may we consider using your pictures in a Jag XK book that will have a section re cars in Asia? See earlier posts for more details.
Old 21st May 2008, 20:12   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Just to be clear, I didnt follow what you meant by "commercially is not the issue". I understand that you are writing a book to be sold commercially. Am I right or have we misunderstood you?
Hi Karl, sorry to be obscure. What I meant was that use of someone else's copyright is not assessed by whether the use is commercial or not. It is the same breach, if there is one, to take the picture to another website as to put it in a book. It is also the case that many websites are commercial too, although I do not know about this one. They are commercial in that the traffic they attract allows them to sell their products or to sell the advertising of other products. We will sell the book, so to that extent it is commercial, but I do not do this for a living. Given the literally thousands of hours that have gone into it even since the first edition 20+ years ago, I would have been far better off financially spending the time restoring several Jaguars and in theory earning what I would otherwise pay a mechanic and body man - or going to the office to work. You might be interested to know that our first book we sold for $32.50 initially, and sold out within a year. A few years later, the few copies that came onto the market were selling it for $1,000 a copy in England. Obviously we did not get any of that, sad to say!

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st May 2008 at 20:33. Reason: quote fixed.
Old 23rd May 2008, 05:28   #56
BHPian

XK jaguars racing in India

I posted the piece below on the thread "Prewar Jaguars in India" Where there any XK's raced in India in fact is there any good source for details of motor racing in India in the 1950's?
terry

Jaguars Racing in India
whilst there is indian involvment in motor sport now there appeared to be little activity of motor racing in India in the 1950's?.
We did come across 2 events in which SS jaguars competed
Calcutta Airport Sprints dec 1954 ER Isaac 1939 SS100
Calcutta Airport Sprints 2/1/1955 ER Isaac 1939 SS100
although these events may turn out to be one and the same event!
Does anyone know of these Calcutta Airport Sprint meetings did they get reported on in local press? and does anyone have any info on Isaac
regards terry
Old 25th May 2008, 18:59   #57
BHPian

kingdoms and prinicipalities India

Picking up on a point made when I refered to "Indian Royalty" I was advised as below. Is there a book that covers the complete structure of these Kingdoms and Principalties / Native States and somthing that covers all the titles that are used?
ie somthing like a family tree

"kingdoms and prinicipalities, which either survived or emerged from the dissolution of the Mughal Empire were organised from the early nineteenth century into the so-called native states"
Old 26th May 2008, 09:27   #58
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry mcgrath View Post
Is there a book that covers the complete structure of these Kingdoms and Principalties / Native States and somthing that covers all the titles that are used?
ie somthing like a family tree
There is a website that chronicles all the ruling princes alphabetically in detail with their lineage, gun salute, area of kingdom etc. I forget the name, try doing s search on Indian Royalty or Princes. Will try to find the site and post details
Old 27th May 2008, 05:40   #59
BHPian

660013 Dlb3534

There is a write up in Jaguar Driver may 2008 on this car being at the Hotel Imperial Dehli
the article notes the original owner as the late S. Rajdev Singh
regards
Old 27th May 2008, 11:37   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

I was watching the famous yesteryears Bollywood blockbuster "Waqt" (dating to late 60s I assume?). I was happy to remember one scene where Raj Kumar drives up in a superb signal red 120 drophead with the spare wheel mounted on the boot in a stylish chrome cover. If we freeze the frame the regn might be visible if we try hard enough (wrong angle and split second).

Ram, you have saved some stills from the race scene of the Fiat spyder and the Austin Healey Sprite, do you still have the movie?

EDIT - most pictures have been lost. Ram, can you share them with us again please?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/298002-post539.html

Last edited by karlosdeville : 27th May 2008 at 11:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks