Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2008, 23:41   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Convertible View Post
And I just recently came across an extremely rare car 9one of only about 20 ever made and fewer remaining -- with handbeaten aluminum body. the only way this will be really well restored is to take it back to italy.
Dont tease us, do tell us more!
Old 19th October 2008, 01:54   #32
BHPian

Thank you very much. Lookforward to receiving the note enabling us to follow up with the Government Departments.

S.B.Jatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Thanks DKG,TuffRyder,S BJatti,SuperSelect, V-16 lets hope something good happens. I am on the job.
S.B.Jatti I will pm the note to you soon for follow up.
Old 19th October 2008, 06:08   #33
BHPian

The owner had offered me a Lancia Flaminia Touring Spider 2.8 (one of only 180 made). This is a beautiful car. It broke my hear to walk away, but it would cost $$$ and needed a complete rebuild that would take longer than my stint in India.

It was disheartening to see this car sitting outside unprotected from the elements. allowing many interior pieces to rust away.

But this was not the one I referred to. Sitting behind this one was another car belonging to the same owner. A 1957 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Veloce SVZ Zagato. All that remains of this car is the fabulous Zagato crafted Aluminum shell, running gear, gearbox. It needed an engine plus all the cosmetics and fittings.

This car was converted from SV to SVZ by Zagato in 1959 and raced at Targio Floria. Later it was brought to India by an Italian diplomat.

The owner believes that this car would be best restored in Italy, and I can see why.

B
Old 22nd October 2008, 19:54   #34
BHPian

Dear Anjan,
A great step.Something which ought to have been done much before. Thanks for your effort
Old 22nd October 2008, 20:53   #35
BHPian

71Convertible - Very sad about the Alfa.

Anjan - Great work. Lets hope soemthing comes out of it.
Old 23rd October 2008, 19:08   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks C.S.Ananth and Sameer Taheer, I am on the job and lets wait for the outcome.
71 Convertible I beg to disagree with you as regards a free market for the old beauties. There was an enforced free market in this field sans any law till now and most of the rarer cars of yore have been plundered out at dirt cheap prices on the sly only to resurface in fully restored condition in the western vintage car showrooms.
Old 20th November 2008, 00:48   #37
BHPian

Anjan: Any updates? Any replies to your mail[s]?
Old 20th November 2008, 19:52   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
Anjan: Any updates? Any replies to your mail[s]?
I am getting in touch with Mr Darda's (M.P.) office and will soon post the outcome. Doubt if any reply has come as his P.A. would have surely contacted me.
Old 21st November 2008, 20:03   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am getting in touch with Mr Darda's (M.P.) office and will soon post the outcome. Doubt if any reply has come as his P.A. would have surely contacted me.
UPDATE- Contacted Mr Darda's office today. His P.A. told me that since many ministries are involved it may take some more time.
Old 22nd November 2008, 01:37   #40
BHPian

Quote:
UPDATE- Contacted Mr Darda's office today. His P.A. told me that since many ministries are involved it may take some more time.
Thanks for the efforts. I just hope we dont have to wait until Maruti Zen's become a vintage to hear back from them.

Cheers
Old 11th December 2008, 19:49   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the efforts. I just hope we dont have to wait until Maruti Zen's become a vintage to hear back from them.

Cheers
Contacted Mr Vijay Babu Darda, M.P. (Rajya Sabha) today. He has assured to provide me updates on this issue in a couple of days.
TuffRyder thanks for your interest.Lets hope to get some news- I will keep everyone posted on the developments here.
Old 12th December 2008, 23:33   #42
BHPian

Again thank you. Probably irrelavent but Im trying to post in intervals to keep this thread alive. I dont want it to die out like most of our pleas to the politicians.
Old 13th December 2008, 11:35   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Convertible View Post
... A 1957 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Veloce SVZ Zagato....
Some more info : Help needed. FWD: 1957 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Veloce SVZ Zagato - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

cya
R
Old 13th December 2008, 12:08   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Again thank you. Probably irrelavent but Im trying to post in intervals to keep this thread alive. I dont want it to die out like most of our pleas to the politicians.
Hi Guys

Just a few comments on this subject.
Since I know a lot of enthusiasts, collectors, and folks on the car collector scene, adding more and more contacts, a lot of information comes my way.

There was in fact a very very strong feeling that import of vintage cars was to be allowed in the last budget. The feeling was so strong that some collectors even selected some cars which they would import. There were to be some restrictions. The cars were to be for display only, perhaps come out occasionally but were not to be road registered. Probably (not sure though) this was to have something to do with tourism. And it did not happen. But believe me, there was a very strong representation made in ministries concerned, I am not sure which others but tourism ministry may have been involved. Again there are attempts being made and maybe sometime it will be through.

Though it is very laudable, one MP really cannot get this through alone when really powerful interest groups have failed. One problem is that national heritage is not a priority. During their economic boom, the chinese were buyers of their hertitage when it came up for sale the world over, outbidding all and brought the stuff home. Here we trouble people like Mallya who brougth Tipu Sultan's relics home. In the same way, we are not going to allow import of Indian relics and cars by others. We did not protest when the Farman and the Swan cars went out. These clearly left the country illegally.

Many do not have an idea that it is even difficult to import used spare parts for Vintage cars. New parts are allowed. But where do you get new parts for a 1920's car unless it is a FORD T or A? Many mechanical parts are available for cars of the 1950's but what about trims? So we do not allow you to export your car which is fine, but we also do not allow you to import the parts to keep it running or restore it. These policy guys are sometimes not practical, do not apply their minds to help us simpletons. We are not a vote bank and so not much help will come our way.

But even if you do not hear much on this, be assured that interest groups are actively trying their best. Some motoring associations are also on the act putting our views across.

This is about import of cars and parts. But we also have other issues like the registration papers, pending taxes etc. In Maharashtra we have at least the lifetime tax, I believe that in Tamil Nadu and W. Bengal this is not the case. So one taxes are pending, you pay a ransom to clear them up, but again only possible if records are available.

Mr. Anjan, please keep in contact with the honourable MP, and other groups, please keep up efforts, one day we will be through. Look, we can already get tyres, you cannot imagine how many cars were scrapped because tyres were not available for them.
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2008, 16:27   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Look, we can already get tyres, you cannot imagine how many cars were scrapped because tyres were not available for them.
A very rude shock indeed! I can't express the indignation and anguish I feel on reading this!

Well, I'm glad getting tyres is now possible! 'which means I can look forward to placing orders for broad-whitewall tyres for all my standard cars!

Last edited by Stanher : 13th December 2008 at 16:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks