Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2009, 17:37   #91
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Is there an official website for this event where one can get details on all the cars entered ?

Was there a Chrysler roadster also entered from Gondol ?
I don't think we've missed any of the cars Wasif. Gondal had their Packard, the 300SL, and the XK 150
Old 14th March 2009, 21:09   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Sometimes, but only sometimes I do make mistakes,

I made a mistake once, I thought I was wrong!

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th March 2009 at 03:04. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 24th March 2009, 02:48   #93
BHPian

Lancia Rims

As far as the Lancia rims goes, it was never mentioned by my father that these were a special accessory for the desert. The same can be further corroborated by the fact that there is no desert in UP worth mentioning. All that was explained to the Judges was that the Lancia car originally did come in spoke wheels but due to the rough / hilly terrain of UP, the rims gave way. Hence these rims were replaced with the help of Dunlop. The rims presently on the car go with the history of the car which is a well accepted fact in any International event. It would not be out of place for us to mention that one more Dilamda from Sahranpur and one other Lambda photos of which are been put here up also have similar rims. I am sure all these different Lancia owners cannot get the same type of rims in different parts of the country in the same era unless it has been recommended by the Company. Further, for all those who feel these are truck rims, it would be opt to mention that the truck rims were with nuts and bolts whereas the Lancia rims are fitted with an accurate milling system which has to be made to perfection and accuracy of the hub without which the central wheel nut cannot fit. It would also not be out of place to mention that the Cartier event was judged by a panel of judges, including eminent judges from the Pebble Beach Event, are we trying to question the authority and knowledge of these people, who are supposed to have a deep insight on the subject?
Attached Thumbnails
India’s First International Concours D’Elegance - Pictures & Report-1.jpg  

India’s First International Concours D’Elegance - Pictures & Report-2.jpg  

Old 24th March 2009, 09:39   #94
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yash Ruia View Post
As far as the Lancia rims goes...
Thanks for the clarification Yash. Do these rims have any markings which would add more light to their special creation? Were these manufactured in India or imported at the time? Any info from your side would help.

Quote:
are we trying to question the authority and knowledge of these people, who are supposed to have a deep insight on the subject?
one of the greatest problems with vintage cars of the 20's and 30's is there are fewer and fewer people alive who had seen these cars brand new and knew them intimately. While many cars' build records exist there are cases where even foreign judges are confused on certain unique features and body styles on one off special order cars for India. Often many cars abroad get passed off as unique one off cars when the fact may be they were rebuilt recently with a exotic body. I believe at some of the premier events in the vintage world the best of the judges have been fooled.

That a few people question the veracity of claims that these rims are non original should really not be viewed as arrogance or impertinence. They have raised the query out of a genuine curiosity and its only apt we try to satisfy such queries with data and more factual info other than "its so because so and so told"

That said its not easy to prove everything. If in the 30's these rims found place on the Lancia's as have these two cars its quite possible that as you say this was an accessory sourced through Dunlop.

The Bharatpur RR bus also had similar artillery wheels. Even a period picture shows the car with those rims.

So what you state may quite be the case on your car. Do just help us out in our understanding with some pictures/marking details on the rim for educational purpose.

Last edited by DKG : 24th March 2009 at 09:41.
Old 24th March 2009, 10:37   #95
Senior - BHPian

Dear Mr. Ruia.

Please note people on this forum are genuine car enthuseasts and are not trying to find fault with your car or any other for that matter.

The fact remains that these rims are not original on this kind of vehicle. They may be period accessories as pointed out by you but when a lot of time, effort and money is expended on the restoration it would have been a good idea to import the correct wheels.

The current rims could have been retained and shown with the car as period accessories.

By the way you are correct in mentioning that these are not truck wheels and are centerlock type. These would have to be precision manifactureds.Are there any manifacturers markings on these rims ?

Also could you elaborate on the history of the car itself. Such a handsome vehicle.

Wasif
Old 31st March 2009, 05:40   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Provenance of car

Yash:
Your 1928 Lancia (car shown below) - Would you be kind enough to identify:

who the original owner was (assuming it is an ex-Maharaja car); and
what colour scheme it originally had ? Cheers

Last edited by travancore : 31st March 2009 at 05:54.
Old 31st March 2009, 06:01   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hi Wasif

He comments on the colour scheme of the Delage, labels it 'challenging'. But research was done, amongst others by Mr. Manvendra Singh and it was found that the Maharaja of Gwalior got her painted in gold and black. It is not specified which shade of gold, and there was a discussion with the judges. And it was here there was a goof up, to be blamed on the owner himself, the Delage should have got the resurrection prize, not the Bentley. The Delage was truly a resurrection in terms of the meaning of the word.
Since this is an ex-Holkar car as discussed before, I am wondering if the "gold" was really the trademark "sunglow orange" - so characteristic of the Holkar sunglow orange and black combination on the Duesenberg, Bentley, etc! Can anyone confirm ???
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2009, 11:12   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Yash:
Your 1928 Lancia (car shown below) - Would you be kind enough to identify
If Im not mistaken the Ruia Lancia is the deep green car 1930 vintage with cream rims that featured at the Cartier Event.

The blue car in the picture is the Salanpur car from 1926

Last edited by Rehaan : 31st March 2009 at 23:32. Reason: Removing picture from quote, as its already been quoted 2 times on this page itself. Thanks.
Old 31st March 2009, 18:23   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Yash:
Your 1928 Lancia (car shown below) - Would you be kind enough to identify:

Travancore:
This lancia does not belong to me. The picture of this car was just put up because this Dilambda also has the same rims like my car.
Regards
Old 16th April 2009, 18:13   #100
Senior - BHPian

I have just come to know that there is an Indian magazine called Mens World. In the December 2008 issue there is an article on the Cartier Event. I shall be thankful if someone can get me some copies. All expenses shall be reimbursed.
Thanks Harit

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th April 2009 at 00:08. Reason: Clarification added.
Old 16th April 2009, 22:09   #101
BHPian

nick mason!! nice the cars + a member of pink floyd. the only reason I am getting my Linea iced is to listen to the dark sideof the moon and the pulse album.

Really nice photographs, specially love the roadsters
Old 3rd May 2009, 11:53   #102

I was not there for the Cartier rally (God damn education!) but I heard that the Westland Healey was the only on show car Gordon Murray sat in. I don't know who was more graced in this situation, the healey or Murray!?

I also heard that he was quite impressed knowing that the meters on that babe are chronometric! Kind of like an airplane.

I have to admit that this event was surely one for the record books if you go by the celebs and wonderful display of beauties. I am also quite confident that it got a very large movement rolling in terms of the evolution of the Indian automotive industry!
Old 4th May 2009, 00:18   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhealey View Post
I was not there for the Cartier rally (God damn education!) but I heard that the Westland Healey was the only on show car Gordon Murray sat in. I don't know who was more graced in this situation, the healey or Murray!?

I also heard that he was quite impressed knowing that the meters on that babe are chronometric! Kind of like an airplane.

I have to admit that this event was surely one for the record books if you go by the celebs and wonderful display of beauties. I am also quite confident that it got a very large movement rolling in terms of the evolution of the Indian automotive industry!
Hi healey

The Westland Healey was the second car, after the Delahaye which kept the judges rivetted to a car on its technical merits. Other cars may have looked beautiful, but Gordon Murray being a technical man was fascinated when they checked out this car. See my note on the Cartier event, I have mentioned this and you dads metriculous prep. I saw the Morris in your profile, confirming your identity. Good you have joined, take it forward!

Cheers harit
Old 7th July 2009, 10:26   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

The catalogue of the event can be found on the VCCCI website

Untitled Document
Old 17th July 2009, 11:26   #105
Senior - BHPian

In Pre War Car: All about Antique, Vintage, Prewar Cars and For Sale there is a Lancia Dilambda Dual Cowl Phaeton by Viotti 1932 for sale. Have a look at the wheels. They look so much nicer.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
India’s First International Concours D’Elegance - Pictures & Report-lancia-dilambda.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks