Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2008, 23:48   #151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Is the car in running condition? Mallya's Humberette is also 1903, and in running condition. I can't think of an older running car in India.
Yeah Karl, Its in running condition and also I can say its in Mint condition

This photo was published in The Hindu on 28th Oct 2006,
Mr. Veerendra Heggade on his Renault
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore Vintage & Classic Collection-2006102801940103.jpg  

Last edited by girishpv : 18th September 2008 at 23:50.
Old 19th September 2008, 09:58   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Another car of similar vintage, also a runner.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/733337-post1.html

And a list of some veterans in India

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/882137-post22.html
Old 13th November 2008, 19:13   #153
BHPian

any ideaa about new vintage rally in bangalore ?
Old 21st December 2008, 05:44   #154
BHPian

Dominator: Sorry to dig up this thread. Any more pictures. This is sure some droolmal. Two friends of mine, brothers, rode that Harley last Dasshera. From what I heard, it was not restored here, but honestly I have no clue about it.

Ive heard about Doc so much and had a chance to go to his farm one day when he was working on his cars but I missed out on it.
Old 22nd December 2008, 17:01   #155
BANNED

Just happened to visit my friends house this saturday , we went out for a casual drive on his Beetle around Sarjapur Road.

Got into an Authorised Service Centre to check out his car which was left there for service. And what do i find there,5 beautiful vintage cars.

This is one of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore Vintage & Classic Collection-image005.jpg  

Old 22nd December 2008, 17:14   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Just happened to visit my friends house this saturday , we went out for a casual drive on his Beetle around Sarjapur Road.

Got into an Authorised Service Centre to check out his car which was left there for service. And what do i find there,5 beautiful vintage cars.

This is one of them.
That is an Adler Trumpf Junior. She used to be in a large collection in Pune for a while.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore Vintage & Classic Collection-adler01.jpg  

Bangalore Vintage & Classic Collection-adler02.jpg  

Old 22nd December 2008, 21:23   #157
BANNED

Quote:
That is an Adler Trumpf Junior. She used to be in a large collection in Pune for a while.
I know it as the adler eagle. looks neat and impeccable but for few small areas not cared for properly. But must admit, this car has undergone a sea change in the way it is from its former days.

This place also houses a dodge kingsway, a humber and a ford pickup truck also, which i'll post very soon.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 22nd December 2008 at 21:25.
Old 22nd December 2008, 21:49   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I know it as the adler eagle. looks neat and impeccable but for few small areas not cared for properly. But must admit, this car has undergone a sea change in the way it is from its former days.

This place also houses a dodge kingsway, a humber and a ford pickup truck also, which i'll post very soon.
Adler is the German word for Eagle, hence the logo too.

I wonder if the Kingsway is the same car pictured in the back, as it too was part of the same collection.
Old 5th January 2010, 23:55   #159

nice collection i didnt see such well maintained cars any where
Old 6th January 2010, 12:09   #160
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Just a small note on few of the Dharmasthala cars.

Four of the cars came from the Papanna Family at Bangalore. They had 5 cars out of which one the 1947 Riley went to Chennai. The following 4 cars went to Dharmasthala
  1. 1903 Renault (De Dion Bouton engine), Ex- Maharaja of Bikaner
  2. 1934 Sunbeam, Ex-Maharaja of Kolhapur
  3. 1937 Buick 8, Ex-Maharaja of Purnea (Bihar)
  4. 1937 Skoda, Ex-Holkar
All the cars were restored by Mr. Sripathy of Bangalore.

The Sunbeam was brought from Gujarat and was in amazing condition and no parts missing! It even had the original leather trunk in amazing condition

The Buick was also largely unscathed and was not too difficult a restoration job.

The Renault arrived in Bangalore in gunny bags after it had been opened up more than 60 years back. This car was completely built up and restored. I will try and get the pictures of the complete restoration of this car shortly.

The Skoda was brought from Pune and was also in bad shape and was fully restored. Unique features in this car was the Rumble Seat and that the gear box was on the differential. I will try and get the pictures of the restoration project for this car too.

Cheers

KPS

PS: Does any one have the pictures of the vintage Nash (Model ?), Doctor's Coupe also at Dharmasthala? Rare car
Old 8th January 2010, 13:52   #161
BHPian

Hey, I guess this must be at the Hyundai dealership? I haven't been there, but am aware that the owner of Advaith Hyundai in Bangalore has a very interesting collection.

Quote:

Old 13th November 2010, 16:06   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are some scans from a booklet published possibly in the 1980s to commemorate a vintage car rally in Bangalore. A neat idea, we really should have something like this published for more events.

Some cars are familiar, some are not. Some comments from the Bangalore veterans will be welcome. Where is that Chrysler for example? We see Tonrag's Austin and the Mysore CAJ Daimler with its previous registration. Which is the MYB 89 Daimler?

Bangalore Vintage & Classic Collection-01.jpg

Bangalore Vintage & Classic Collection-02.jpg

Bangalore Vintage & Classic Collection-03.jpg

Bangalore Vintage & Classic Collection-04.jpg

Bangalore Vintage & Classic Collection-05.jpg

Bangalore Vintage & Classic Collection-06.jpg

Bangalore Vintage & Classic Collection-07.jpg

Bangalore Vintage & Classic Collection-08.jpg

Bangalore Vintage & Classic Collection-09.jpg

Bangalore Vintage & Classic Collection-10.jpg

Bangalore Vintage & Classic Collection-11.jpg

Bangalore Vintage & Classic Collection-12.jpg

Bangalore Vintage & Classic Collection-13.jpg

Bangalore Vintage & Classic Collection-14.jpg

Bangalore Vintage & Classic Collection-15.jpg

Bangalore Vintage & Classic Collection-16.jpg

Bangalore Vintage & Classic Collection-17.jpg

Bangalore Vintage & Classic Collection-18.jpg

Thanks to Dominator for sharing this booklet.
Old 13th November 2010, 17:30   #163
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here are some scans from a booklet published possibly in the 1980s to commemorate a vintage car rally in Bangalore. A neat idea, we really should have something like this published for more events.

Some cars are familiar, some are not. Some comments from the Bangalore veterans will be welcome. Where is that Chrysler for example? We see Tonrag's Austin and the Mysore CAJ Daimler with its previous registration. Which is the MYB 89 Daimler?

Thanks to Dominator for sharing this booklet.
Hey Karl,

This brings back a lot of memories Dominator always has many treasures from the Bangalore scene.

MYB 89 is the famous Mysore DB 18 owned by the Late Raman the engineer from NAL. This car has not been seen for more than 20 years but is safely stored. The family wants to keep this car as it was very dear to Late Raman as it was his father who bought this car from the Maharaja.

It is such a coincidence that only yesterday I saw the 1929 Plymouth Rumble Seat Sports Roadster (MEV 5529). I was seeing this car after about 20 years and I am glad to inform that the car is in relatively good shape.

Cheers

KPS
Old 20th November 2010, 01:52   #164
BHPian

Karlos, what an album! This was the booklet brought out for the rally run in August 1987. It brings back a flood of memories. I was a newcomer to Bangalore then and had just bought a 1950 Vauxhall Wyvern. I came to know of the rally and went to the Westend Hotel where it was held and was stopped by KPS's father, who is now a dear friend, who told me that the rally was open only to members of the KVCCC. I then became a life member of the club on the spot! It was in this rally that I met Mr. Raman, who also became a close friend. I learnt a lot from him on how to scratchbuild models and when he passed away, I was so traumatised that I gave up modelmaking for a long time. I also made friends with Mr. Ravikumar, Mr. Ganesh Rao, (who attended the rally in his beautifully restored MGTD, Mr. Vinod Narain, who owned CAN 734, the MG TC which is now owned by Dr. Raviprakash, Mr. Sulaiman Jamal. I also met Mr. Nandagopal, owner of MEQ 1150, (AKA Swami the Austin 7, which is now with me).
The Prizes were given away by Steve Lindquist, Olympic swimming champion, who was staying at the hotel at that time.
I have more photos of the event with me, which I will scan and upload.
Time really flies, now so many of the stalwarts of the vintage car movement in Bangalore are no more with us. It is just as well, they would have hated today's Bangalore, with its terrible roads, chaotic traffic, all the trees gone as also most of its elegant old buildings and bungalows. Now, the only way to enjoy driving in Bangalore is to take your vehicles out on a long drive, early in the morning.
Old 20th November 2010, 15:31   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrag View Post
Karlos, what an album!
I have more photos of the event with me, which I will scan and upload.
Time really flies, now so many of the stalwarts of the vintage car movement in Bangalore are no more with us. It is just as well, they would have hated today's Bangalore, with its terrible roads, chaotic traffic, all the trees gone as also most of its elegant old buildings and bungalows. Now, the only way to enjoy driving in Bangalore is to take your vehicles out on a long drive, early in the morning.
Thanks once again to Dominator for sharing.
I'm looking forward to the pictures you scan. Especially keen to see more of that lovely Chrysler, pair of Buicks and the Daimlers.

And the story you lament on is not restricted to Bangalore. The scene is not too different in Bombay or Pune, a decent drive has to be planned well in advance (I usually chalk out a route with tree lined avenues and old bungalows, but I'm running out of places). Such a rich legacy they left behind for us, I wonder what will happen a generation or two later. Who will even remember their names? I take solace in the hope that they will read TBHP then and learn a thing or two from our conversations about our elders...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks