Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2009, 10:03   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I hope he replaces the Morris rear lights
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Well i thought I was the only guy seeing problems with this car, according to me a lot of things are off and it seems to be taking on a 540K persona like the Delhi car.
Well it is quite obvious that the car still is to be restored. Let's at least wait till its done - Mallya's cars have not dissappointed in the past!

I wonder why so many 170V roadsters don't have original bumpers.
Old 14th July 2009, 15:26   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
A 170V roadster from Vijay Mallya's collection (being restored) can be found here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1381098-post23.html
Sweet! What an enviable collection he has. Though i wonder if he ever gets the time to use these beauties. I recently saw his maserati being restored at a garage in mumbai. I believe his staff has instructions to keep each and every vehicle in top running condition as he may randomly pick out any of the cars for a drive whenever he fancies.
Old 14th July 2009, 16:15   #33
Senior - BHPian

This 170V needs a lot of cosmetic correction, hope that it will be done. And yes, Turrel's Merc is much mor original, hope he restores it soon.
I had recently seen a 170V Roadster in Mumbai with a 180 engine fitted, that car had an altered petrol tank to fit the engine as the 180 engine is taller.
I think the 170 Roadster of Mr. Jasdanwalla is also quite original.
Hope this car gets done well.
The website on Mallya Collection mainly showcases his cars lying in America.
Old 14th July 2009, 16:20   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well it is quite obvious that the car still is to be restored. Let's at least wait till its done - Mallya's cars have not dissappointed in the past!

I wonder why so many 170V roadsters don't have original bumpers.
What more restoration dude, once the upholstery has been done, I guess its almost restored. I would agree though this is not a typical Mallya restoration.

All mercedes bumpers have a massive tendency to just rust away and hence very few cars especially vintage ones do not have their original bumpers.
Old 14th July 2009, 16:30   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
What more restoration dude, once the upholstery has been done, I guess its almost restored. I would agree though this is not a typical Mallya restoration.
How can you consider this car restored? And that too from such a collection of repute?! I'm sure it is still to be restored, it is quite rough in present state.
Old 14th July 2009, 18:19   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How can you consider this car restored? And that too from such a collection of repute?! I'm sure it is still to be restored, it is quite rough in present state.
Yo! dont shoot me.

Just that I am not liking the way it is in it's present state, but no reason restoration or not it should move around with non original lights, bumpers, after all there is a reputation of the collection to protect. Hell I did not enter the dukkar without the original hubcaps for the rally, and I am just a chotta guy.
Old 14th July 2009, 18:35   #37
Senior - BHPian

I think as his collection increases with each passing year accuracy seems missing. I have posted pics of the Merak restoration with Matiz mirrors else where in the forum! The 170 seems to have so many flaws. Aren't those head lights from a dodge/plymouth?
Old 14th July 2009, 20:15   #38
Senior - BHPian

Just thought I would upload some pics of a very nice 170V in the USA. Though I am not sure about the bumpers, some cars came with divided front bumpers (in two pieces)
Attached Thumbnails
Dr Vijay Mallya's Collection-dsc00097.jpg  

Dr Vijay Mallya's Collection-dsc00098.jpg  

Dr Vijay Mallya's Collection-dsc00189open.jpg  

Dr Vijay Mallya's Collection-dsc00199.jpg  

Dr Vijay Mallya's Collection-oldtimerblauw5.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 14th July 2009, 20:24   #39
Senior - BHPian

I think the earlier cars featured the split bumpers and they moved on to single piece bumpers in the later years.

Now we can compare the headlights to the originals and see the difference
Old 14th July 2009, 20:49   #40
Senior - BHPian

I think the bumpers on the earlier car are from a 170S, but bumpers aside there is a hell lot of difference in bodyline etc between Mallyas car and the ones pictured here.

Last edited by the mole : 14th July 2009 at 20:50.
Old 15th July 2009, 09:28   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
I think as his collection increases with each passing year accuracy seems missing. I have posted pics of the Merak restoration with Matiz mirrors else where in the forum! The 170 seems to have so many flaws. Aren't those head lights from a dodge/plymouth?
I have to strongly disagree with you here. Yes, the mirrors on the Maserati didn't look good, but the collection, quality of cars, level of restoration and attention to detail is top notch!

I reiterate, it is obvious the Mercedes is still to be restored, so it naturally will be full of flaws, which are apparent. The gent who posted the pictures himself said these pictures are before work started.
Old 15th July 2009, 11:32   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I reiterate, it is obvious the Mercedes is still to be restored, so it naturally will be full of flaws, which are apparent. The gent who posted the pictures himself said these pictures are before work started.
Any idea how long Mallya has had this car?

I am sure he will get to it at some point maybe its too common a car for him to set as a priority. But who knows it may have already been restored after these pics were clicked! Only the Gent who has posted the pics can confirm and update us with fresh pics.

Last edited by the mole : 15th July 2009 at 11:33.
Old 15th July 2009, 12:20   #43
Senior - BHPian

I think that the red car is over restored. The headlights should not be fully chromed. The indicator lights of the blue car look original, the ones on the red car look different.
Ant the chrome ring above the stepney cover is original, it is not seen on the red car but it could be the angle.
I know of 7/8 such cars in India, and there may be 3 more I do not know about. Out of these one in Lucknow, one a junk in central India, Mallya, Jasdanwalla, Turrel, and three white coloured cars where I feel that they were actually 2 cars with one being re-registered.
Old 15th July 2009, 12:36   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I know of 7/8 such cars in India, and there may be 3 more I do not know about. Out of these one in Lucknow, one a junk in central India, Mallya, Jasdanwalla, Turrel, and three white coloured cars where I feel that they were actually 2 cars with one being re-registered.
Jasdanwalla had entered a lovely white car in the 93 Pune rally, regd. MMF 26 or 46 or thereabouts. His current green car is WB regd, I wonder if they are the same car.

All said and done, I consider this amongst the prettiest Mercedes ever built - simply gorgeous.
Old 15th July 2009, 16:16   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Is the junk one available for restoration. This also my absolute dream car

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks