Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2009, 18:25   #46
Senior - BHPian

karl although the most valuable and sort after cars in his collection may be accurate but i differ with you as well. As the collection grew over the years some cars are inacurate.

Here is a list I have seen and can remember as I write this.

1) Red MG had motorbike turn signals this after restoration. You will not see it the pictures on previous page.
2) RR silver shadow (silver/blue) of the late 70's early 80's has large hella triangular driving light at the rear for reversing!
3) Merak with matiz mirrors

That is 3 so far let me dig my library and I will get you more, he is like a father figure for me when it comes to cars but facts are facts. My hero worship is not blind

Last edited by canonball : 15th July 2009 at 18:33.
Old 16th July 2009, 13:36   #47
BHPian

Planning to be in Bangalore tommorow for a day. May have couple of hours of spare time. Would it be possibel to see Mr. Mallya's collection by any chance? Alternatively is there a place any Bengularian can recommend to take peek at some good vintage and classic stuff?

Cheers
Old 19th August 2009, 11:12   #48
BHPian

You can never see these Big Guy's Collection ever.

All the American Cars also look shiny but would not even drive properly if someone took it for the Vintage Track Day. :(

I am more fond of Normal people having 1 or 2 cars as they will also discuss about their car and take personal care of their beauty.
Old 19th August 2009, 11:42   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Bug View Post
Planning to be in Bangalore tommorow for a day. May have couple of hours of spare time. Would it be possibel to see Mr. Mallya's collection by any chance? Alternatively is there a place any Bengularian can recommend to take peek at some good vintage and classic stuff?

Cheers
When are you planning to be in Bangalore ?

I will be there on the 23 Aug and I am planning to drop by to see Doc Ravi and his fab collection. PM me if you are interested. He is a gentleman and will love to show his cars. Not so sure about the "king of good times" though.
Old 19th August 2009, 11:56   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercars View Post

All the American Cars also look shiny but would not even drive properly if someone took it for the Vintage Track Day. :(

I am more fond of Normal people having 1 or 2 cars as they will also discuss about their car and take personal care of their beauty.
Well I saw some of this Big Guy's collection, and I do not know him personally. If a genuine enthusiast would like to see the cars, Im sure something can be arranged. Why do you say the cars would not drive properly if someone took it to a Track Day? Many of Mallyas cars have been raced. His Pierce Arrow even went to Malaysia/Singapore (I cant recall) for an event. Most cars match international standards of restoration.

Cheers.
Old 19th August 2009, 12:03   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Well I saw some of this Big Guy's collection, and I do not know him personally. If a genuine enthusiast would like to see the cars, Im sure something can be arranged. Why do you say the cars would not drive properly if someone took it to a Track Day? Many of Mallyas cars have been raced. His Pierce Arrow even went to Malaysia/Singapore (I cant recall) for an event. Most cars match international standards of restoration.

Cheers.
Thats in Singapore, Lalwani the restorer of the machine was also there.
Old 19th August 2009, 13:01   #52
BHPian

I've had the good fortune of seeing Mr. Mallya's vintage car collection in person at his house in Alibaug. We weren't allowed to carry our cameras inside, so no pictures

There were around 20-25 impeccably maintained vintage cars there. Each car had its keys in the ignition. The care taker said that each car had 2-3 mechanics dedicated to it, and all of them had to be in working condition. Every now and then Mr. Mallya would visit Alibaug and take any car for a spin.

Some of the cars that I remember seeing there are:

Impala
RR Silver Ghost
A couple of vintage BMW's
Vintage Mercs
Buick

What a sight it was.
Old 27th August 2009, 00:22   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercars View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post

Cheers.
Hello guys, saw this post and thouth to share a few thoughts.
First, we must agree that these are all private collections. So the owners should have their ways and say.
But, many owners are enthusiasts and kind, with the right connection one can get to see a lot. Do not forget that one may be a true blue gentleman and enthusiast, but there are many weird charcters around too. And some are lunatics. A friend who has a few cars of mine allowed a visitor to see the cars AND take photos, soon after they were offered for sale in Jaipur. Some other freak may do some damage, another person may badmouth the cars. No one want to get entangled with weirdo's and no one has time to sort out the genuine enthusiasts from the weirdos. So it is a matter of networking, and when you do manage to get to see a collection, enjoy the privilige, enjoy and do not go about bragging. Recently a fellow bhpian want to see a collection, he called me, I managed, he enjoyed, had a good time, thanked me and did NOT post stupid stuff about the visit. That is how it should be, the owner has no regrets to show his stuff, and I had no regrets to send him there. Please understand, I am talking in general about the hesistancy of some colectors to open gates because of valid reasons.

Now, if I were the big guy and were to read some of these posts, I would shut my doors to such visitors for ever. Please understand that a comment "that the cars would not even drive properly" are absolutely uncalled for. True, some cars may not run as one would like them to, but there is no dearth of effort to get them to run. Take the case of the Humbrette. Today she does not run, unfortunatly the engine gave up. The car was among the oldest running cars in India, more than 100 years old, the engine was repaired but again failed. These things do happen, but when you make a general statement that his cars do not run, I beg to differ. A whole team has been set up to restore and maintain cars, by and large they are successful. One of his most difficult and tempramental cars is the 630K, but they manage to complete the run even with some steam.

And what does it mean, "normal person with one or 2 cars"? There are collections with many cars, getting sorted out and largely in good nick. And there are people who have one car, and cannot lookm after it. Such generalisation is not correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
I've had the good fortune of seeing Mr. Mallya's vintage car collection in person at his house in Alibaug. We weren't allowed to carry our cameras inside, so no pictures

There were around 20-25 impeccably maintained vintage cars there. Each car had its keys in the ignition. The care taker said that each car had 2-3 mechanics dedicated to it, and all of them had to be in working condition. Every now and then Mr. Mallya would visit Alibaug and take any car for a spin.

Some of the cars that I remember seeing there are:

Impala
RR Silver Ghost
A couple of vintage BMW's
Vintage Mercs
Buick

What a sight it was.
2-3 mechanics per car is a slight exaggeration, but yes, there are people to look after the cars. And the cars are quite in good nick. BTW, the vintage BMW's were cars or bikes? I believe neither, but we never really know. There are very few vintage BMW cars in India.

Cheers to the collectors
Old 2nd September 2010, 15:45   #54
Senior - BHPian

Vijay Mallya's 550 RS Spyder at Pebble Beach 2010

These picture are from this years, 2010, Pebble Beach Concours and the Marin Sonoma Concours showing this lovely 56 550 RS Spyder which belongs to Vijay Mallya ( Chassis No 550- 090 ) which won the FIVA Post war award after winning Best of Show at this years Marin Sonoma Concours

One of the 90 550 RS Spyders that Porsche built this car is said to be the most original 550 that survives to date and is said to be completely original and un restored still featuring the original soft top.

Belonged to Fred Sebald a noted Porsche mechanic / collector who later sold it to one Mr. George Rielly in 72 from whom the Mallya Collection, based in Marin County CA, purchased it in 1999.

The 550 Spyders have a great racing pedigree with wins at Nurbuurgring, Le Mans and the Carrara Panamerica at the hands of some of the leading drives of those days.

James Dean made the 550 Spyder immortal when he crashed his and died.

It is great to know that one of these amazing cars belong to an Indian and has won best of show and many other awards at various shows in the US culminating in this win at the 2010 Pebble Beach.

There are many more interesting cars in the Mallya Collection in the US that include both a 300 SL Gullwing and 300 SL Roadster.

This link below is to the collection

Vijay Mallya's Car Collection

This link below is the the 500 Spyder regester and has info on all the cars.

Type 547 engine | Type 550
Attached Thumbnails
Dr Vijay Mallya's Collection-10383953032_scan0002.jpg  

Dr Vijay Mallya's Collection-22062.jpg  

Dr Vijay Mallya's Collection-55009011.jpg  

Dr Vijay Mallya's Collection-l4618.jpg  

Dr Vijay Mallya's Collection-10383955432_scan0003.jpg  

Dr Vijay Mallya's Collection-cl4620.jpg  

Dr Vijay Mallya's Collection-55009031.jpg  

Dr Vijay Mallya's Collection-55009021.jpg  

Dr Vijay Mallya's Collection-c0205051070.jpg  

wasif is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2011, 01:05   #55
BHPian

Vijay Mallya's collection

Here is a video of Mr.Mallya's collection in Sausalito I received from a friend in California recently. Thought its worth sharing. Video was posted on Youtube by someone else.

Old 21st February 2011, 12:32   #56
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Dr Vijay Mallya's Collection

Thanks for sharing, Tuner. I've merged your video post with this (existing) thread. Also, your video has been added to the opening post.
Old 21st February 2011, 12:55   #57
BHPian

You're welcome! My searches for the string Mallya did not return results probably because its Mallya's in the thread title. Thanks for the merge!
Old 21st February 2011, 14:12   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
2-3 mechanics per car is a slight exaggeration, but yes, there are people to look after the cars. And the cars are quite in good nick. BTW, the vintage BMW's were cars or bikes? I believe neither, but we never really know. There are very few vintage BMW cars in India.

Cheers to the collectors
I thought so too, but with Mr. Mallya, you can never tell.

I recall seeing a vintage BMW car. I do not know the model name, but with a quick image search on Google, I am pretty sure it was this (not the car in the pic, but the model).
Attached Thumbnails
Dr Vijay Mallya's Collection-bmw_smaller_car.jpg  

Old 21st February 2011, 14:34   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
I thought so too, but with Mr. Mallya, you can never tell.

I recall seeing a vintage BMW car. I do not know the model name, but with a quick image search on Google, I am pretty sure it was this (not the car in the pic, but the model).
This is the famous BMW Isetta - popularly called as the bubble car owned by Mr. Kashyap in Delhi.
Old 21st February 2011, 16:47   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Bug View Post
This is the famous BMW Isetta - popularly called as the bubble car owned by Mr. Kashyap in Delhi.
And Mr. Mallya has a similar one along with an FMR. Then there is one in Orissa, Goa, Mumbai and Gwalior, only wonder where some of them are presently housed.

Cheers harit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks