Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2009, 11:20   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Not entirely so Harit. Of the limited knowledge I have of the cars in their possesion the Hyderabad cars with Rashid bhai would be a very original 47 Caddy (the number is 9000 I think), atleast one of the 47 Buick convertibles is from an old family friend of ours and am sure there are a few more that found their way into his collection. With Capt Pestonji there's a lovely late 40's Desoto, a 36 Buick Convertible, the Hupmobile, Azamjah's Caddy, Osman Ali Khan's Dodge and again a few more I'm sure that are Hyderabad cars.
Yes Sir indeed, we are saying the same thing. They do not have exclusively Hyderabadi cars means that they have non-Hyderabad cars as well,and including Hyderabadi. The reason for putting the statement as I did was that some Hyderabadis like yourself sometimes rue the fact that many Hyderabad cars were taken out from there. So I just wanted to say that some Hyderabadi collectors have also brought cars in. In fact much of Captains stock is from Gujrat. His Chrysler belonged to a notorious goon in A'bad, his convertible Dodge has Sardar Patel connections. Hope this clarifies what I meant to say.
Old 30th January 2009, 11:23   #47
DKG
Senior - BHPian

My apologies for misreading your statement. I thought you meant they don't have cars that were Hyderabadi

Harit do you have any clue about the SS that Rashid bhai has? its history? Its a ,modified SS and I had seen the car but know little about Jags to know to what extent and how it was modified.
Old 1st February 2009, 10:20   #48
Senior - BHPian

Rahid Bhai's SS Jaguar.

Hi.

As far as i know this started life as a SS Jaguar 2 1/2 Litre Sedan. It is of the pre war type as the SS name was discontinued post WW2.

The car fell on hard times and since the body which was on a wood frame had rotted very badly someone in Calcutta turned into into a two door roadster as seen today.

The guy did a good visual recreation but the lenght of the original chassis makes this two door a vey long car. Also the exposed side exhaust system looks good but in reality it would burn off your shoes when you tried to get in or out of the car after driving for a while.

The othe funny part about this car was the fiberglass bonnet which opens just like a modern car.

This car has a serious overheating problem as it has stood unused for a long time.Since the block is iron and the head is aluminium there has been a lot of corosion in the water passages.

It would be great if anyone could shed furthe light on this cars history. If I recalll right this conversion was done by a certain Mr. Chowdhri.
Old 2nd February 2009, 11:51   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Hi.

As far as i know this started life as a SS Jaguar 2 1/2 Litre Sedan. It is of the pre war type as the SS name was discontinued post WW2.

The car fell on hard times and since the body which was on a wood frame had rotted very badly someone in Calcutta turned into into a two door roadster as seen today.

The guy did a good visual recreation but the lenght of the original chassis makes this two door a vey long car. Also the exposed side exhaust system looks good but in reality it would burn off your shoes when you tried to get in or out of the car after driving for a while.

The othe funny part about this car was the fiberglass bonnet which opens just like a modern car.

This car has a serious overheating problem as it has stood unused for a long time.Since the block is iron and the head is aluminium there has been a lot of corosion in the water passages.

It would be great if anyone could shed furthe light on this cars history. If I recalll right this conversion was done by a certain Mr. Chowdhri.
This SS was purchased by my friend Vohra in mid 1980's. It was white in colour, came from Kolkotta, sold by Mr. S Chowdhri (spelling?)
I came to Mumbai by train along with a Rolls Silver Wraith which landed up in Chor BAzar, now Jaipur. Vohra used her for some time, then he moved of to London. The Nawab bought her along with a 1948/49 Packard convertible which had come from Rajkot and was dark blue/purple in colour.
Yes, the car was altered, too long to be a genuine article. But real eye candy and a bait for the birds.
Old 15th February 2009, 16:07   #50
BANNED

HI!
I am going to write down the name of a list of cars.These cars I belive will make an awesome collection.So I'd like you to help me and tell me are any of the cars in India.And I would like your opinion on the cars.

1936 Mercedes Benz 540k Spezial Roadster

1928 Bentley 4.5 Ltr

1962 Ferrari 250 GTO

1958 Ferrai 250 California

1960's Ferrari Daytona

1980's Ferrari 288 GTO

1958 AC Ace

1968 Shelby Cobra 427

1968 Shelby Mustang GT 500

1966 Jaguar E-Type V12

1977 Chevrolet Caprice

1930 Bugatti Royale (any one of the 6)

1967 Chevrolet Camaro with the Z-28 and RS package

1966 Pontiac GTO

1965 Ferrari 365 GTB/4

1960's Ferrari 250SWB

1960's Triumph T6

1955 Bentley R-Type or Stype Continental

1966 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud 3

1960's Rolls Royce Silver Shadow 1

1960's Rolls Royce Corniche

I'll keep updating the list .
Old 15th February 2009, 17:35   #51
Senior - BHPian

Are we planning to actually buy these cars with real money ?
Old 15th February 2009, 22:50   #52
Senior - BHPian

damn! a hudson in india. I have never seen one.

please try to restore it first man!

Last edited by SirAlec : 15th February 2009 at 22:54.
Old 26th February 2009, 17:55   #53

can the nawab's collection be seen?

Quote:
Not entirely so Harit. Of the limited knowledge I have of the cars in their possesion the Hyderabad cars with Rashid bhai would be a very original 47 Caddy (the number is 9000 I think), atleast one of the 47 Buick convertibles is from an old family friend of ours and am sure there are a few more that found their way into his collection. With Capt Pestonji there's a lovely late 40's Desoto, a 36 Buick Convertible, the Hupmobile, Azamjah's Caddy, Osman Ali Khan's Dodge and again a few more I'm sure that are Hyderabad cars.
I am impressed and awed by the information possessed by some of you people.Is there any way of viewing the nawab's collection? I would love to do so
Old 28th February 2009, 10:39   #54
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coomar View Post
Is there any way of viewing the nawab's collection?
Everytime I meet him I urge him to turn his collection into a museum, but to no avail
Old 28th February 2009, 15:03   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Everytime I meet him I urge him to turn his collection into a museum, but to no avail
Hello! How many collections in India have been turned into a Museum till date? Not many. Pranlal has opened a Museum, Gondal did open his garages for visitors, Titus in Delhi, another museum is being planned off Delhi, another in Bangalore, Hegde's collection is there, any others? There are numerous collections nicely housed, but not turned into a museum. The Nizams collection kept at the palace museum is not necesarily a car museum. And preferably they should be restored to be considered as a museum for car lovers.
I believe that just like organising a run, a lot of time and money go into making a museum. Some of us can barely afford the cars, then we have to get them restored, housed properly and then try to run a museum. All cost money. So we already get slowed down on the restoration front, housing and museum take a back seat. Some of my cars are already offered to a museum when it comes up. Mutual back scratching, he gets displys, I get housing.
So if the Nawab is asked to make a museum, he would have to relocate either himself or his cars. And then invest in the fascilities. And then have added expense for staff, and returns are unlikely to be renumerative.
I hope that the Nawab will one day showcase his collection, but it is not easy for anyone.
Please inform if there are collections I have left out.
A solution would have been if there was an association which looks after these things, creates a fascility to house the cars of collectors on agreed terms, but now many cities have 2 clubs, cannot agree on policies, so can they run a museum? In Mumbai there was an opportunity, land was to be given by the Government, but ultimately it was messed up.

Last edited by harit : 28th February 2009 at 15:06.
Old 3rd May 2009, 16:05   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hello! How many collections in India have been turned into a Museum till date? Not many. Pranlal has opened a Museum, Gondal did open his garages for visitors, Titus in Delhi, another museum is being planned off Delhi, another in Bangalore, Hegde's collection is there, any others? There are numerous collections nicely housed, but not turned into a museum. The Nizams collection kept at the palace museum is not necesarily a car museum. And preferably they should be restored to be considered as a museum for car lovers.
I believe that just like organising a run, a lot of time and money go into making a museum. Some of us can barely afford the cars, then we have to get them restored, housed properly and then try to run a museum. All cost money. So we already get slowed down on the restoration front, housing and museum take a back seat. Some of my cars are already offered to a museum when it comes up. Mutual back scratching, he gets displys, I get housing.
So if the Nawab is asked to make a museum, he would have to relocate either himself or his cars. And then invest in the fascilities. And then have added expense for staff, and returns are unlikely to be renumerative.
I hope that the Nawab will one day showcase his collection, but it is not easy for anyone.
Please inform if there are collections I have left out.
A solution would have been if there was an association which looks after these things, creates a fascility to house the cars of collectors on agreed terms, but now many cities have 2 clubs, cannot agree on policies, so can they run a museum? In Mumbai there was an opportunity, land was to be given by the Government, but ultimately it was messed up.
my thoughts ek-jaactly! Maybe when these cars start to cost 3 to 4 times than they do today, then just maybe people will start to respect them more and find it lucrative to actually build the museums, as the public would start paying proper fee to see them!
Old 5th May 2009, 01:16   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangcollectr View Post
my thoughts ek-jaactly! Maybe when these cars start to cost 3 to 4 times than they do today, then just maybe people will start to respect them more and find it lucrative to actually build the museums, as the public would start paying proper fee to see them!
Sorry boss (pun intended) but I did not get your drift. Could you kindly quantity what is a proper fee to see a car collection? Today you pay an entrance fee of Rs 20/- to see the Taj Mahal! There is no relation between the cost of a car, folks starting to respect them and paying proper fees to see in a Museum. A person may showcase his collection, but for a proper Museum a sponsor is required, or atleast some joint scheme to make this viable. What I said is not the same what you are now adding. Just to be clear.

Cheers harit
Old 10th May 2009, 23:03   #58
Senior - BHPian

Hi everyone

The Studebaker commander picture which was originally uploaded by Mr.randeep was owned by us till june 2008. This car had been sold to Mr.Ranjit mallik in delhi. He even showed us pictures of this car before.Since i am a new joiner here i was just going through the old thread and found this car. I have one or two more pics of the car when it was with us. Please clarify. Mr.Mallik said that he still owns this car.

Thankx
Attached Thumbnails
A Large Collection of Classic Cars at a Private Workshop-dicky-taujis-collection-144.jpg  

A Large Collection of Classic Cars at a Private Workshop-dscf1262.jpg  

Old 11th May 2009, 13:57   #59
BHPian

This is a coupe with the roof cut off .A very uncommon car in either condition and should be saved!
Also the 1950 Chev convertible in the same picture is a very Valuable car in it's home Market of the USA. Surely someone with a yen to own a classic would wqant them more than the owners? . I would buy both if it were possible to ship them out of India.

1950 Chevy — Autoblog
Attached Thumbnails
A Large Collection of Classic Cars at a Private Workshop-wcolombocjt8_450.jpg  

Old 11th May 2009, 19:35   #60
Senior - BHPian

That W108 is not a coupe or cabrio, i suspect it is a 4 door sedan which has been converted, a common practice and worth nothing if that is the case, it would have just been a nice sedan which is now distroyed to make ? Those doors are small and not long as the coupe of cabiro's have (as you are aware coupes/cabiros have longer doors)!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks