Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2009, 23:22   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
The new Bangalore highway is mecca for these cars. Having successfully triggered the superbike rides now its high time I treated myself to a sports car and get the exotic thingy going too
How do I get there? It's near the Airport road, right?

Last edited by f450 : 5th March 2009 at 23:25.
Old 6th March 2009, 09:40   #32
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f450 View Post
How do I get there? It's near the Airport road, right?
Yes the main road leading up to the airport is the Bangalore highway. Just a few kms ahead of the turn off for the airport you encounter a brand new stretch of four lane highway which is simply awesome. Hopefully by this year end this will be all the way till Bangalore.

Hyderabad finally has some Ferrari roads
Old 18th March 2009, 15:50   #33
DKG
Senior - BHPian

The event is scheduled for Sunday 22nd March 2009 at the GMR Airport Novotel hotel

9:30 am assembly of cars, followed by judging, press conference and interactive session

1pm lunch for participants

2pm to 4:30 pm Bangalore highway drive (vintage/classic cars)

5pm awards

For the participants there is also a dinner early evening

Entry forms may be collected from Dr. Venkat Rao 9885111144
Old 23rd March 2009, 02:39   #34
Senior - BHPian

Great Show

Arun and I managed to drag ourselves out in the morning in spite of a late night.

By the time we arrived, all the cars were neatly lined up and arrayed. The Ford Tourer and a Triumph immediately caught every visitor's eye as they were parked in the porch. DKG's dishtinguished looking Packard immediately caught our eye, as did an Austin Champ (a true off roader that could literally swim through water - unfortunately the snorkel was missing).

I was pleasantly surprised at the number of Austin 7s that took part, I never knew that so many have survived to this day. The Austin 7s were outnumbered only by the Jeeps but then we Deccani chaps have always had a thing for off-roading.

Not being 'educated' we were left to gape at the beauties on display without a clue as to which car(s) we were gaping at. Arun and I pray that the next time around, the organisers / participants put up little placards/charts setting out the details of the cars. A little history of the vehicle and it's owners would add to the interest as most of the cars have rather interesting and colourful histories.

Hats off to the owners who have painstakingly maintained (or restored and maintained) these lovely bringers of joy at great cost. I understand that each part is a struggle to obtain/source/fabricate (including something as mundane as tyres). This only adds to the awe and respect I have for these passionate souls who take the pains to protect our heritage.

Cheers,

P.S.: Eagerly awaiting pics and an official report.
Old 23rd March 2009, 07:56   #35
BHPian

Added to Mr.Raveendra's(whats with the spelling on your tag, i just noticed!) report,after gaping at the cars in limited knowledge we hunt down DKG and get an insight to his Packard as well as the Triumph.Cheers for this Mr. Deepak. Thanks to this event, my interest in getting back dad's '34 Dodge Brothers seems more appealing and tempting!

Ah the Austin champ was a beauty! Talk the talk,Walk the walk in truly every sense(and angle)!.
Old 23rd March 2009, 08:57   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, I'm sure it was great turnout! Unfortunately, I've been sick the last 2 days, so couldn't make it even as a spectator! :(

DKG/anyone who attended, pics. please?
Old 23rd March 2009, 13:17   #37
BHPian

where are the pictures? waiting for them on the thread........... sure would have been great.
Old 23rd March 2009, 23:43   #38
BHPian

Any pictures Mr. DKG?
Read about it in the newspaper, but there was little detail to it.
Old 23rd March 2009, 23:49   #39
Senior - BHPian

So big event and no pictures? Sad.

Deepak, surely you took some??
Old 24th March 2009, 01:25   #40
BHPian

Like many others I'm waiting for some picture too ...

Guys who were there for the event, please post some pictures if you have taken some ...
Old 24th March 2009, 11:00   #41
DKG
Senior - BHPian

There were four special reasons why I was really looking forward to Sunday's event at Novotel Airport.

1. A quality event calls for great sponsors and ofcourse topclass arrangements. This event promised to be so. A classy affair with loads of fun and comforts (food and refreshments)

2. For the first time ever a vintage car event in Hyderabad was to hold a long drive for participants apart from the usual display. To me this one element makes all the difference as it simply takes ownership of these cars to a whole new level of enjoyment.

3. Noted historian and expert Manvendra Singh had agreed to attend the event and spend time with participants by way of an interactive session. I never miss the opportunity to meet Manvendra bhai

4. The event was to last from 9:30am till dinner. Which meant everyone would be relaxed and in a mood to chill and have fun. No one would be in a hurry and there would be loads of time for all enthusiasts to enjoy each other's company and cars.

The event took place as planned and two words describe it - " GREAT FUN".

My friend Shantanu having treated his gorgeous 1949 Triumph Roadster 2000 to a new set of tyres called to ask if we would be taking the inner ring road via rajendernagar to the airport. That meant some traffic. I was clear we were going to detour and head further west to th Gachibowli junction and take the new outer ring road direct to the airport. This meant driving on roads which felt like runways!

At 7:30 am we met at my house and set off. Shantanu and his son Arnav in their roadster and me with my mother in the 1939 Packard APX 110

Novotel GMR Airport Vintage & Classic Car Show and Drive, Sunday 22 March 2009-img_0001.jpg

Novotel GMR Airport Vintage & Classic Car Show and Drive, Sunday 22 March 2009-img_0002.jpg

Novotel GMR Airport Vintage & Classic Car Show and Drive, Sunday 22 March 2009-img_0003.jpg

I am digressing a bit but I think its important to share a perspective which these magnificent cars afford us all

As we headed to the Gachibowli junction looking at father and son together in the Triumph ahead brought back a flood of memories which I cherish dearly of the countless times I have spent in this very Packard with my parents.

From the times when I would sit astride my father's lap and steer and change gears for him (I was Arnav's age in the 60's and Hyd roads were empty, but I know its irresponsible and illegal to do so ) to going to the zoo with my tricycle in the cavernous trunk, to standing on the footboard with cousins as we'd drive around the zoo or at Gandipet, to the many times my sister and I would fall asleep on the back seat after a late night return from a dinner, to the umpteen trips to Bombay or Madras or Tirupati or Bangalore. Times spent in the car with people you love dearly. Cousins, family, picnics, and travelling. All this with APX 110 always around, always of immense comfort and never ever letting us down

That's what this vintage car is to me and as my mother and I cruised down the Gachibowli highway once again enjoying this fabulous Packard I realised that more and more people should do the same.

It doesn't matter what that car is. Its your family's car. Head out every weekend with family. Be it for a cuppa coffee or icecream or a sumptous picnic, being outdoors, enjoying times with family and friends in your car is what makes this hobby so meaningful and worthwhile. Who said cars is a boy thing?

Just imagine this, in the sixties my mother was the only lady in all of Hyderabad who was seen practically everyday driving a 1949 Vauxhall Wyvern to work and back. A handful of ladies knew how to drive but none so often as my mother. Before the Vauxhall she would drive this very Packard to work or to the nearby market for her shopping. Even before that she used the family's New Yorker convertible. I remember often when in the car with her we'd hear people exclaiming loudly " dekho dekho aurat gaadi chala rahi hai"

Times have changed and its ajoy to see women in burkha's here in Hyderabad driving two wheelers.

Women do relate to cars in their own way and as I find my mother and sister deeply passionate about the Packard I cannot imagine other women not sharing their husband's or brother's passion for cars. Its about creating occasions when family is together in the car enjoying an outing. Do that long enough and your wife, or sister or daughter will grow fond of the car and appreciate the time you spend pampering the old beauty.

A few years back when someone wanted both my Packards and offered a handsome price I mentioned this to my sister who immediately shot back "how dare you even think of selling APX 110, I'll kill you !!"

Believe me that day the car went a couple of notches up in terms of things precious in my life ! So this Sunday when I asked my parents, both 80, if they'd like to join me for the show at Novotel my mother promptly was ready at 7am
Old 24th March 2009, 12:01   #42
Senior - BHPian

Hey DKG.

Can we have pictures on this event and details on all cars entered.

Was not he Triumph Roadster a part of the Khairtabad Gas Station owners collection ?

I remember seeing your mom and the white Vauxhall. what happened to the car.
Old 24th March 2009, 12:05   #43
BHPian

@DKG: Great write up ... I am sure it would have been quite emotional getting your vintage on the road and for the rally.

Please do post more pictures if you have some.
Old 24th March 2009, 12:18   #44
DKG
Senior - BHPian

To be honest this time I didn't spend any time taking pictures documenting all the cars that came. I spent more time chatting with friends, making friends and basically enjoying the show.

Late morning there was an interactive session in a lovely conference hall where owners got a chance to ask Manvendra Singh questions on restoration and other issues. As enthusiasts we also got an opportunity to thank GMR and Novotel for the sponsorship and hospitality extended us all.

Novotel GMR Airport Vintage & Classic Car Show and Drive, Sunday 22 March 2009-img_0005.jpg

Novotel GMR Airport Vintage & Classic Car Show and Drive, Sunday 22 March 2009-img_0007.jpg

Novotel GMR Airport Vintage & Classic Car Show and Drive, Sunday 22 March 2009-img_0008.jpg

This was a typical sight around cars all day. Friends standing around chatting for hours, yes hours !!! What fun.

Novotel GMR Airport Vintage & Classic Car Show and Drive, Sunday 22 March 2009-img_0009.jpg

Novotel GMR Airport Vintage & Classic Car Show and Drive, Sunday 22 March 2009-img_0010.jpg

Novotel GMR Airport Vintage & Classic Car Show and Drive, Sunday 22 March 2009-img_0011.jpg

Novotel GMR Airport Vintage & Classic Car Show and Drive, Sunday 22 March 2009-img_0012.jpg

Novotel GMR Airport Vintage & Classic Car Show and Drive, Sunday 22 March 2009-img_0013.jpg

Novotel GMR Airport Vintage & Classic Car Show and Drive, Sunday 22 March 2009-img_0014.jpg

Around 2:30 pm as we headed out of the hotel after a sumptous lunch we were greeted by a darkening sky which spelt only one thing - rain ! The morning was a bit hot and this change in weather was most welcome as some of us were going to head out for the drive.

APX 110 was the first to be flagged off and as soon as we hit Bangalore highway I noticed a few droplets on the windscreen. The weather had changed dramatically and now it was cool. APX 110 has a brilliant ventilation system and the car was actually feeling cold inside as I sped along the highway.

After a gap of 13 years APX 110 was back in its old role as highway milecruncher. The last time she went out on a long drive was when at the age of 67 my parents and aunt had driven her all the way from Hyd to Bangalore for a rally and then onto to Madras and back

I was only doubtful about one thing. With two Packards at home I had forgotten on which car I had changed the fuelpump kit (getting old myself ) If the fuel pump diaphram packs up its a drag to get her going on an alternate. I have this fad about keeping cars true to their original systems and hence no electric pumps. But I was surprised APX110 seemed very comfortable.

A few minutes into the drive and the rain started. I gingerly turned on the wiper knob. Again after such a long time I wasn't sure the vaccum assist wipers would work (in all these years I never took her out in rain and never needed to use the wipers). Boy oh boy what a joy as the arms frantically started to swipe in and out with that familiar hissing sound. About 15 miles into the drive we encountered a heavy downpour and I could barely see the road. Cars around us were so curious. I am sure it freaked them out.

Its rare to see a vintage car on the road. Its rarer to see a vintage car being driven on highways. When on earth do you get to see a vintage car, on a highway, in pouring rain ? You should have seen their expressions of astonishment as cars lined up alongside, rolling down windows to take pictures and complimenting us.

Just a km or 2 before the turnaround point things got worse and suddenly I heard the spattering of hailstones.

While driving the window on the far rear side was open as I couldn't have asked my mother to turn acrobat to lean back and close. Ice started to fall in through the window. More alarmingly I was worried about possible damage to a pristine roof. I guess I was being too cautious as these oldies have a heavier guage of metal. But why take a chance. I made a u-turn and headed back to the hotel.

As we drove back the thundershower seemed to pass eastward and what a joy to drive back in cool weather and open roads.

Packards have in my opinion the best sounding horns of all marques. They are a loud double trumpet. Its a loud "PAAAMMMPP" kind of sound. It suits Packards, what with their aristocratic demeanour. In the cold crisp air the horns sounded superb and I loved listening to that deeply familiar sound.

Novotel GMR Airport Vintage & Classic Car Show and Drive, Sunday 22 March 2009-img_0015.jpg

Novotel GMR Airport Vintage & Classic Car Show and Drive, Sunday 22 March 2009-img_0016.jpg

Novotel GMR Airport Vintage & Classic Car Show and Drive, Sunday 22 March 2009-img_0017.jpg

Novotel GMR Airport Vintage & Classic Car Show and Drive, Sunday 22 March 2009-img_0018.jpg

Novotel GMR Airport Vintage & Classic Car Show and Drive, Sunday 22 March 2009-img_0019.jpg

Novotel GMR Airport Vintage & Classic Car Show and Drive, Sunday 22 March 2009-img_0020.jpg

The enthusiasm with which so many people joined in for the drive was startling. We really didn't think so many would join. Now that's the spirit and a big round of applause for them all

After the drive we had a short and sweet award ceremony where all particpants received a plaque, followed by a slightly early cocktail which went on late into the night with dinner.

Most of the participants in the drive won a night's stay at the hotel (16 of them) and the rest were treated to a free spa coupon.

It was such a pleasure to chat with Manvendra bhai listening to lovely tales and experiences and basically just enjoy the evening with him. A group of us hung around chatting with him and its times like these which are precious to us enthusiasts when you get to know people of his calibre on a more intimate level.

The man is a gem and I urge anyone who gets the opportunity to make an effort to meet him. His depth of experience, sheer quality of exposure to India's finest automobiles, makes him as precious and more than the very automobiles. His knowledge and experience aside Manvendra Singh truly is a gentleman and that to me makes his company more enjoyable.

As we retired to our rooms for the evening we all felt it was a grand day of fun.

People who skipped the event on account of their reluctance to drive the distance simply don't know what they missed.

Sunday's Novotel Vintage Car Show was about cars, beautiful settings, great roads to drive on, fantastic food and refreshments, and above all a fabulous bunch of people.

I couldn't ask for more !!

Well actually I need to talk to Doc about the next event soon
Old 24th March 2009, 12:22   #45
BHPian

Some absolutely stunning and well maintained beauties there ...

Makes me ponder on a thought of looking around for a vintage for myself too :-)

Last edited by Ardy : 24th March 2009 at 12:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks