Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2009, 10:28   #1
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Novotel GMR Airport Vintage & Classic Car Show and Drive, Sunday 22 March 2009

Friends we have a golden opporunity to create a great fun filled event that can be hosted annually at Hyderabad.

Novotel hotels of the Accor group have two properties, one located in the Hitex complex near Madhapur/Gacchibowli area better known as Cyberabad and another at the GMR International Airport complex at Shamshabad

The proposal for the event is something like this.

1. Cars assemble on a Saturday morning at Novotel Hyderabad for breakfast

2. Drive on the new 4 lane (soon to be 8 lane highway) connecting road to Novotel Airport for lunch

3. Judging of cars Saturday afternoon at Novotel Airport

4. Evening check into the Novotel Airport followed by prize distribution dinner/dance whatever

5. Sunday early morning breakfast and drive to Jadcherla (80kms) on Bangalore highway

6. Cut across toward Kalwakurti (40 kms) and have lunch at a rustic dhaba style setup

7. Drive back down to hotel via the Srisailam highway (80kms)

8. Close of event by 5 pm

I see this as one helluva rocking event. Novotel is open to sponsoring the event.

The idea behind the 200 km drive is to enjoy your cars and have fun doing it with a whole bunch of vintage cars and enthusiasts. Pebble Beach has started a 1500 mile run and over the years its turning into a big hit with more and more people joining the run. The run would be optional only for those who want to enjoy that aspect of the meet.

All the roads I spoke off are wide and ideal for vintage cars, with only heavier but manageable traffic down Bangalore highway.

The idea is for the vintage car fraternity from around the country to get together once a year at Hyderabad and have a ball.

On account of the limited rooms that would be available we might have to exercise some degree of selectivity in those that would get to stay at the hotels.

I'd like all our friends across India to share their views so we can slowly build a consensus and plan the event accordingly.

Last edited by DKG : 20th January 2009 at 10:47.
Old 21st January 2009, 16:36   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Friends we have a golden opporunity to create a great fun filled event that can be hosted annually at Hyderabad.

Novotel hotels of the Accor group have two properties, one located in the Hitex complex near Madhapur/Gacchibowli area better known as Cyberabad and another at the GMR International Airport complex at Shamshabad

The proposal for the event is something like this.

1. Cars assemble on a Saturday morning at Novotel Hyderabad for breakfast

2. Drive on the new 4 lane (soon to be 8 lane highway) connecting road to Novotel Airport for lunch

4. Evening check into the Novotel Airport followed by prize distribution dinner/dance whatever

5. Sunday early morning breakfast and drive to Jadcherla (80kms) on Bangalore highway

6. Cut across toward Kalwakurti (40 kms) and have lunch at a rustic dhaba style setup

7. Drive back down to hotel via the Srisailam highway (80kms)

8. Close of event by 5 pm

I see this as one helluva rocking event. Novotel is open to sponsoring the event.

The idea behind the 200 km drive is to enjoy your cars and have fun doing it with a whole bunch of vintage cars and enthusiasts. Pebble Beach has started a 1500 mile run and over the years its turning into a big hit with more and more people joining the run. The run would be optional only for those who want to enjoy that aspect of the meet.

All the roads I spoke off are wide and ideal for vintage cars, with only heavier but manageable traffic down Bangalore highway.

The idea is for the vintage car fraternity from around the country to get together once a year at Hyderabad and have a ball.

On account of the limited rooms that would be available we might have to exercise some degree of selectivity in those that would get to stay at the hotels.

I'd like all our friends across India to share their views so we can slowly build a consensus and plan the event accordingly.
What about transportation costs/ for bringing over the vehicles from different cities ?
Old 21st January 2009, 16:50   #3
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominator View Post
What about transportation costs/ for bringing over the vehicles from different cities ?
Dom the way I see it it would have to work both ways. As enthusiasts we need quality events where you get a chance to have a lot of fun. The sponsor understandably would look at what kind of mileage they would get out of it.

Lets air ideas of what would work and what wouldn't work.

How far would you go to have fun vis-a-vis someone paying for you to participate.
Old 21st January 2009, 21:10   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Dom the way I see it it would have to work both ways. As enthusiasts we need quality events where you get a chance to have a lot of fun. The sponsor understandably would look at what kind of mileage they would get out of it.

Lets air ideas of what would work and what wouldn't work.

How far would you go to have fun vis-a-vis someone paying for you to participate.
That is highly debatable. Fun for someone like me would be to drive 200kms to some place in Karnataka with a group of other cars. I know it will be a great experience to come to Hyderabad and then drive for 200 kms with cars from around the country. I wouldn't want an accomodation for myself at Novotel, nor be paid for my personal travel expenses. All I would ask for is Safe & Free Transportation of my car. I am sure the same goes for the Mumbai/Pune/Delhi guys. As it is our clubs are so active having many events with long drives. If you were to have an National Event with cars participating from outside Hyderabad, the least you could offer is a safe passage for the cars.

I am sure if we were to have a rally tomorrow in Bangalore, with a stay at Windsor Manor and free return air tickets for you, your first question would be - What about my car transportation ?

About 2 years ago we had almost finalised about hosting a National Event here. Everything was finalised. ITC was willing to put the outside participants for 3 days, our main sponsors were willing to fund part of the participants travel cost and the other part would come from KF. But then , the logistics involved in hiring carriers and transporting the cars was so huge.Most owners were even apprehensive about the damage to their cars while loading/unloading and in transit.

Deepak Bhai, the point is getting the cars over to Hyderabad.
Old 22nd January 2009, 09:51   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, I guess it is indeed a very relevant time for DKG to start this thread, considering that the DECHAA (ok DHAA for some others! ) once again couldn't succeed in obtaining police permission to conduct a rally/show for the 26th as well!
This is the 3rd time in a row this has happened with the club, ever since 15th aug. last year! And is sure a big blow to many of us local vintage/classic car/bike enthusiasts.
Finding even a private venue (viz. prviate school/college ground) is becoming tough, as they charge quite high fees I'm told.
Now DKG, no offence meant. I really appreciate this idea of yours of conducting a show at Novotel etc. but for now I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one who'd really be excited if we were permitted for atleast a simple 1/2 day display, even sans food/drink/entertainment/long drive, at some venue in Hyderabad! Considering the previous disappointments we've faced in this regard twice already- 15th aug. '08 and then the world tourism day in sept. '08 as well.
Now Shamshabad would be too far for many of us who're on the other side of the city. But still, considering it's a matter of just one day, if it is indeed a solid finalised event, it could be worth the 'strain' if any?

Also one question- assuming this event at Novotel is finalised, what kind of cars/bikes would be allowed entry?? Is any and every vintage/classic allowed, such as my humble Standard Pennant and hillram's Fiat 1100??
Old 22nd January 2009, 11:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

Shyam..We have our Deccan Heritage Rally coming up on 26th Jan 2009 at the ususal place in Lumbini Park.Lets prepare for this.
Suren..If not your Centrelight,please bring the Vespa 150 for sure.
I intend to bring my Lambretta and Fiat 1100.
Old 22nd January 2009, 14:54   #7
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Dom I see your point.

But as we discuss this a group of enthusiasts from UK have come into India with their Bentleys to be able to enjoy experiencing India by road in cars they cherish!!

Talk about logistics and a desire to have fun!!

Shyam as the management of Novotel expressed an interest in hosting the event we are considering it otherwise there are so many other options within the city.

One big plus point of the Novotel show is a clean relatively traffic free drive on the new Gacchibowli airport highway

In any case nothing is finalised yet. If the majority want to host the entire event based just at the Novotel Hyderabad then I guess it will be so. Further nothing decided yet on participation classes

This is just my suggestion to consider using both properties and do the 200 km drive. For all you know most may not be interested in doing the drive.

Last edited by DKG : 22nd January 2009 at 14:56.
Old 22nd January 2009, 16:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Wow!!!

First its Deccan Quarter Mile Drag race and now its National Vintage Car Event at Hyderabad. Surely things in Hyderabad are heating up. BTW, on both the counts its DKji on team-bhp.

Quote:

4. Evening check into the Novotel Airport followed by prize distribution dinner/dance whatever.
So these costs will be borne by the Novotel, else this event would be out of reach for many even if they dont have much trouble driving/riding down to the venue. BTW, is this event only for the cars or for the bikes and scooters as well.

Alternatively if the Novotel Hotel folks want to charge some money. Its better they charge on the same lines as the TSD(time speed distance) event from TDS(ten downing street) which I attended few years ago. I think it was organised by APMSC in association with TDS. They used to charge 1000/- per car and for four people. They used provide, lunch at the destination and an evening snack with a breverage with good music at TDS while we wait for the results to be declared.

If its not viable for the people to participate from other cities, we can still go ahead with this idea. If we look at the participation in the last event at Secunderabad Club(Deccan Haig...) we can still pull off great numbers.

raj.
Old 22nd January 2009, 21:11   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Shyam..We have our Deccan Heritage Rally coming up on 26th Jan 2009 at the ususal place in Lumbini Park.Lets prepare for this.
EDIT: I just got a call-back from Anirudh of the DHAA and he's confirmed what you've told me!!
Wooooohooooooooo!!! Man I have not enough words to express my happiness!!!!
All I could say is "aapke mooh mein shakkar dAlE!" (loosely translated from a tamil saying! :P)

Quote:
Suren..If not your Centrelight,please bring the Vespa 150 for sure.
I intend to bring my Lambretta and Fiat 1100.
I told him the same thing! And 'wish my lambretta was done up by now...! But anyways, more importantly, I have my pennant up and ready, so there!
Come 26th and I'll be going "Babuuuu samjho ishArE....horn pukAre....rum pum pum!"

More details in the concerned thread I guess!

Last edited by Stanher : 22nd January 2009 at 21:19.
Old 23rd January 2009, 11:37   #10
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
If its not viable for the people to participate from other cities, we can still go ahead with this idea.
Sure we will. Even if this is held for the local enthusiast group I am very keen the drive gets started. I can't tell you how much fun we've had with the superbiking group. To be able to do that with the vintage car/bike fraternity would be great.

With so many radial roads around Hyderabad we have plenty of excursion opps.

With the Mondial trucks around we can make arrangements for efficient recovery as well in case of breakdowns.

Its important we start going for longer drives. Contrary to what many believe its not a strain for these cars. Infact they end up being in greater shape because they are being driven and get to stretch their legs. As a matter of fact its when you start garaging your cars and pampering them that the rot sets in. Besides once every four months a 200km run is absolutely nothing in terms of wear and tear.

I suggest we first get likeminded people in for the drive. I personally have no issues with what cars come. Its more the passion and spirit of motoring that needs to be encouraged and appreciated.

And above all it should be a family affair so even the kids get a chance to experience and appreciate the value of what their parents enjoy. If it hadn't been for the countless drives to Bombay, Madras, Bangalore and Tirupati in our white Packard, not to mention the fact the car was used almost daily for years during the sixties and seventies I know my fondness for the car would be limited. The most beautiful part of this is even my sis is passionate about the Packard as way too many fun family memories are associated with this magnificent automobile.

The days are gone when these cars can be used as daily drivers. Its more the risk of harm to them that discourages me to take her out in traffic. So perhaps we could evolve a quarterly vintage car run so we get to use them as they should be used and actually improve their health

Suggestions for how we can help build the run would be appreciated.

A future socially relevant element you can add to these type of events is raising funds for a noteworthy cause. I am aware Harley owners across the world do this causes muscular dystrophy research and other such causes. For the Srisailam run we can work toward contributing toward Project Tiger. BTW those interested in helping out on the tiger issue can pm me.

Last edited by DKG : 23rd January 2009 at 11:42.
Old 23rd January 2009, 17:28   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

DKG,
I agree with you about our cars getting to stretch their legs once in a while!

OK, so assuming the event has been finalised, which saturday is this to be held? Because even tomorrow is a saturday!
Old 24th January 2009, 14:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hello, and this post is added just to spice up the discussions.
The idea of holding such an event in Hyderabad is very good. From the historical point of view Hyderabad had a lot of cars which got distributed all over the world. So, to bring in some cars for an event is a good idea.
But who will run the event. Probably the DHAA, this being their turf but then sponsored by the hotel. But you must be clear about who calls the shots and decides on major issues.
For any rally to be a success, you require quantity but also quality. On quantity you have to draw a line, like what is the cutoff year for modern classics, how many cars of a particular model you would like to accept etc. If there were to be 10 beetles, it may too many, but how do you select and discrimate depending on which side of the coin you are on. Also, a modern classic like a muscle car may be better to invite than an ordinary saloon car like a................ any ordinary car.
To spice up the event, you may want to invite some cars from other places. This is also an unthankful job, the Cartier event brought out the best in us collectors. In every aspect, on the entries, on the prizes and on behaviour (too much free booze did fill up many tanks, not just the cars). If Deepak Gir was to select cars, and he selected only one of mine and two of his own, then he is biased. Get the drift?
Perhaps in Hyderabad you could think of an even sponsored by the hotel folks, have a group of persons who will select cars and select perhaps 15 to 20 cars from all over India to be invited for the event. Perhaps ex-Hyderabad cars could be the criteria. You can offer some fixed amount for transportation, the rest is up to the participant to cover. Then invite a few local Hyderabady good cars like the LaSalle etc to join in. If you have a two day event, on some time the local cars could join for half a day or so. The run should be limited to the selected cars. The idea is to limit some traffic, the Cartier event had no run at all.
The Prize policy has to be carefully thought about, I still believe that every participant should get a memento and a certificate, that's it. But if you want to have prizes, well and good.
Accomodation, one room per participant should be good enough.
I hope such an event will take place, but please give sufficient notice for us to polish our cars, even if not invited in the end!
Good Luck
Old 26th January 2009, 15:41   #13
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
The idea of holding such an event in Hyderabad is very good. From the historical point of view Hyderabad had a lot of cars which got distributed all over the world. So, to bring in some cars for an event is a good idea.
That's a terrific suggestion Harit. You have some great Hyderabad treasures yourself So can I say we could get a few of your beauties in? If this event becomes a reality along the lines you suggest just imagine unveiling the Dhanrajgir Packard here once its restored ! Now that would be awesome.

Quote:
But who will run the event.
Dr Venkat Rao and friends who have been organising rallies for years. When I was talking to Doc about organising a run he mentioned Novotel is interested and asked me to post and see if we can enthuse participants from around the country.

Quote:
But you must be clear about who calls the shots and decides on major issues.
Quote:
have a group of persons who will select cars and select perhaps 15 to 20 cars from all over India to be invited for the event.
To avoid the usual bickering post rallies about bias etc, shall we form a small steering committee. There's no dearth of enthusiasts around the country to choose the members from. I think we'll persuade Manvendra bhai to help us.

Quote:
For any rally to be a success, you require quantity but also quality
Shall we limit the event to 25 cars? All pre-selected and invited?

Quote:
On quantity you have to draw a line, like what is the cutoff year for modern classics, how many cars of a particular model you would like to accept etc. If there were to be 10 beetles, it may too many, but how do you select and discrimate depending on which side of the coin you are on. Also, a modern classic like a muscle car may be better to invite than an ordinary saloon car like a................ any ordinary car.
What to have what not to have!! The big question. If we want to attract special cars from around the country then we would need to make it more exclusive (much to the disappointment of many enthusiasts) If you make the event too broad based you just might discourage the major collectors from participating and it will turn into yet another Hyderabad vintage car meet. Can we build some consensus on this? More views on this please

Quote:
the Cartier event brought out the best in us collectors. In every aspect, on the entries, on the prizes and on behaviour
Without a doubt. Like the Cartier event if what we are discussing can culminate in a quality event I'd love to see this build into a hot favourite on any collectors calendar

Quote:
The Prize policy has to be carefully thought about, I still believe that every participant should get a memento and a certificate, that's it.
Harit I have always witnessed much heartburn on this issue in India

But if you want your event to contribute toward improving the game in India you must create a robust rating system. Why not bring in the 100 point rating system used by the Americans. India may not have a 100 pointer as yet but lets start somewhere and atleast a team can use an international 100 point rating system to set some grounds. The highest scoring cars in each class get rated as 1st second third accordingly

Quote:
Accomodation, one room per participant should be good enough.
I think that's very fair. At a 25 car cutoff Novotel too may find it easier to indulge

Quote:
I hope such an event will take place
With the cooperation of enthusiasts like yourself Harit I am confident we can create a fun event for all to enjoy, be it as participants or spectators
Old 26th January 2009, 21:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

The Deccan Heritage Automobile Association Rally today at Lumbini Park on the eve of the 60th Republic Parade was a grand success.The event was meticulously organised by the DHAA members including myself.There were a score of some awesome classic bikes and cars as usual as this event has become the only synonymous event with Hyderabad and Secunderabad,drawing attention and participation from various automobile enthusiasts.

Mr.Jayesh Ranjan,MD of APTDC graced the occassion and adressed the much enthralled crowd,appreciating what DHAA is doing and also announced the week long tourism Festival starting on the Ugadi day in MArch 09.He promised that APTDc will work with DHAA during this week long festival to organise a vintage rally event to bring our more and more attention to this endevour which has been only championed by DHAA.He added that this Ugadi festivity event will carry more national and International media attention.Mr.Ranjan reiterated that DHAA has the sole capability to organise such events of even more higher calibre and magnitude.

DHAA welcomes other automobile enthusiasts to join us and synergise this endevour to bring our many more national events across the country under the torch bearing of one and only DHAA.

Shyam,Suren thanks for joining and making this event a success.
Old 28th January 2009, 11:12   #15
Senior - BHPian

Did some one took the photo's???

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks