Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2009, 08:29   #91
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
What a Sweet Minor! Thanks for posting it and it is the finest custom I have seen in India. Would be very interested in what work has been done on the engine.

I would consider it more a Custom than a Hot Rod. The Rods tend to be more in your face with hotter engines.

Here in India, Rods & Customs are just beginning. As the affluence grows and the Car Culture develops more and more car lovers will want to express their individuality and I would anticipate some very interesting Customs and a few Rods.

I had suggested that this Thread be called "Hot Rods & Customs"Customs as there are so many over lapping areas.

Yup! I'd say this is a Custom as well. Pictures don't do justice to the sheer beauty of this Morris. And it sounds glorious! Blame the Remus end cans for that. It's an absolute stunner!
Old 8th September 2009, 10:09   #92
Senior - BHPian

Now this Morris will be the second official Hot Rod we have seen till now the first being the red Willys Aero found in Hyderabad.

It would be very interesting to know what has been done on this Morris, what kind of an engine and drivetrain is it sporting and who has done the mods.

Obviously someone loves the car and has spent a lot of time and money on it to get it to look this way.

Those twin exhausts and the rims make it look nifty. Not so sure about those tail lights though.
Old 8th September 2009, 10:46   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Saw this beauty perched atop a pavement near Jayanagar South End Circle a while back. It's pretty obvious that it has been restored and the modified, complete with Remus exhausts and a subtle body kit. This Minor would probably pass off as a Junior Hot Rod if you will!

Note: The interior has been beautifully executed. Leather and chrome bits make up the finishing touches.
While I am not much of a hot rod fan, I must say quality of work and execution appears top notch. Front and rear glasses are from a Fiat. I like the rear fender skirt - a nice touch. My only grouse is those tail lamps - they are simply too bulbous and ungainly. A hot rod is all about minimalism - 39 Ford style tear drop tail lights would do the job perfectly, as is the case with a majority of such projects.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 8th September 2009 at 10:47.
Old 8th September 2009, 17:44   #94
Team-BHP Support

Will try getting more on the car! I have seen the owner drive away. I hope I'd get to catch him sometime soon so that I could get some info on it. Will keep you guys posted! Thank you!
Old 9th September 2009, 12:46   #95
NIP
Senior - BHPian

The thread title clearly says "Hot Rods in India." So whats the point posting all those phoren cars. Are there any good ones in India ?
Old 9th September 2009, 14:35   #96
BHPian

wasif-i was about to mention the same thing nip jus said,the thread says hot rods in india but its just imported cars which are not in india
Old 9th September 2009, 15:51   #97
Senior - BHPian

What do you mean... The Morris being discussed below is in Bangalore and the Willys Aero which i have said is the first genuine hot rod to be pictured here is in Hyderabad.

Now some people have posted pics of cars not in India but that is for illustration purposes only.

Please do try to post pics of modded / rodded cars found in India. The car itself might be an import but if it has been worked on in Inida then its definitely a "Hot Rod in India"
Old 9th September 2009, 19:08   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
The thread title clearly says "Hot Rods in India." So whats the point posting all those phoren cars. Are there any good ones in India ?
The American "HOT ROD" had it's roots in California in the early 50's based on the cars of the early 20's and 30's using mostly the Ford V-8's. These cars were a dime a dozen. The car has been a staple in the North America culture since the 1900's, with the 1915 Ford Model T representing about 60% of all cars produced in the world. India on the other hand is just entering into the Automobile Culture.

I doubt that there will be many "Hot Rods" built in India as there are so few cars suitable for this style and those that are around have a much great demand and value to Restore and Preserve.

The cars of the 60 & 70 are the only cars that are cheap and reasonably plentiful that could be considered for Hot Rodding but not in the American sense, rather for customizing and some upgrading of their performance, subsequently my recommendation to revise this thread to "INDIAN HOT RODS & CUSTOMS".

The photos posted, by necessity, are of Hot rods out side of India to provide a reference and inspiration to this very small and fledgling aspect of the growing car enthusiasts in India.

I would expect to see some interesting Nano "customs" in the next few years.

Last edited by john a milne : 9th September 2009 at 19:11. Reason: correction
Old 9th September 2009, 19:23   #99
Team-BHP Support

Do you guys remember a certain 'Plymouth Prowler' that was in production in the late '90s? I'm not sure if it still is in production but boy oh boy what a Hot Rod that is! I know that it technically cannot be classified as a Hot Rod because it hasn't been customized outside the factory as such, but still! It's great. And it's a modern car! If you're having a hard time placing it then here are a few pictures

Old 9th September 2009, 21:57   #100
Senior - BHPian

I have actually had the pleasure of being driven in one of these by its owner a very colourfull doctor in the US Virgin Islands. I can never forget the feeling flying up a twisting mountain road on the island.
Old 9th September 2009, 22:09   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
I have actually had the pleasure of being driven in one of these by its owner a very colourfull doctor in the US Virgin Islands. I can never forget the feeling flying up a twisting mountain road on the island.

What does it sound like? Did you get the chance to get behind the wheel?

I've heard that Chinkara Motors (popular for designing out-of-this-World contraptions and replicas of the much loved Jeep and the hardcore Caterhams) are designing an in-house Hot-Rod based on the same lines as this Prowler. Hope it isn't a rumor.
Old 10th September 2009, 10:26   #102
Senior - BHPian

I only got to take a spin in it in a parking lot thats all. The owner wouldn't let you drive it on public roads due to an insurance issue.

It sounds amazing though. This car had an aftermarket sports catback so you can imagine the roar.

Do find out about the Chinkara Motors doings
Old 10th September 2009, 11:30   #103
Senior - BHPian

A couple of months back at my friends garage at Shivaji park I happened to see a kit car based on the Caterham design. It was jointly developed by my friend and another enthusiast and runs on an esteem engine. The poor thing is embroiled in such humumgous amount of red tape regarding road tests and stuff, that they decided to abandon the project in India.I am told they have some intresting enquiries for exports to australia. But it was one good looking and Accesible Hot rod.
Old 10th September 2009, 12:56   #104
Senior - BHPian

I would have preferred it if the look was kept retro and focus on modernising her internally which seems to been done. But the 2 door look looks incomplete without moving the B pillar back and stretching doors. Should have left it a 4 door
Old 10th September 2009, 17:02   #105
Team-BHP Support

I think it's time that Hot Rods pick up pace here in India. There are innumerable enthusiasts who'd love to get their hands on a true blue hot rod. Even if it isn't that powerful.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks