Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2009, 11:26   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
No it hasnt. This thread talks about phasing out private cars. The only vehicles that have been banned in Kolkata are 15 year old commercial vehicles - Buses, autos and taxis.
This is good confirmation from the horses mouth in Kolkata. I had been hearing different stories about Ban being implemented in Kolkata on private vehicles too, which I was always doubting.

Lets hope that it stays this way in other parts of India too...............at least till we are alive to see our classics survive on road, in our treasured possesions.
Old 16th September 2009, 12:28   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

The issue of banning 20 year old vehicles in Bombay is still very much a concern. This report appears in todays paper.

HC raps state for not reining in pvt car users - Mumbai - City - NEWS - The Times of India
Old 16th September 2009, 15:54   #48
BHPian

This is bad news man.... What will happen to all those lovely classics.
Will they face the crusher or they will have to be registered in a different state to save them.
Old 16th September 2009, 19:20   #49
Senior - BHPian

very unfortunate indeed, while i feel that the padmini cabs of mumbai should be scrapped ASAp, the private cars should be spared, they are generally much bettter maintained than most 8-10 year old daily cars like the M800 omni etc!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allana13 View Post
This is bad news man.... What will happen to all those lovely classics.
Will they face the crusher or they will have to be registered in a different state to save them.
registering them in another state will still not let them ply on mumbai roads!
Old 16th September 2009, 19:27   #50
BHPian

I think this is a fantastic move, infact mumbai shud not have cars and people shud be urged to use public transport which first needs enhancement. And mumbai shud only have hybrid cars / electric cars.
Old 16th September 2009, 20:11   #51
Senior - BHPian

very sad, those black and yellow fiat taxis is a part of BOMBAY's image,hope they are not scrapped in one go
Old 16th September 2009, 20:38   #52
Senior - BHPian

Well I am quite confident nothing conclusive will come from this judgement. Courts should first ensure adequate public transportation for the public. I have waited for hrs to get into an airconditioned bus in Bombay, there is never any place to stand.

First let the politician's deliver value for the high taxes we pay in this city then talk about other things. Hell we cant surface a road properly, forget everthing else.
Politicians, Judges and everybody else making arbitary statements should be made to take a BEST bus to work in their new found austerity drive then we will talk. For a change hear the common man.

As far as Vintage and classic cars go, I dont think this judgement will extend to them. Can I save my 1992 Maruti 1000? Who knows!

Last edited by the mole : 16th September 2009 at 20:39.
Old 17th September 2009, 00:03   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer_dg View Post
I think this is a fantastic move, infact mumbai shud not have cars and people shud be urged to use public transport which first needs enhancement. And mumbai shud only have hybrid cars / electric cars.
But IMHO for our roads, we should be legally allowed to have only MONSTER TRUCKS (if you know what they look like) on the road.....I'm only half-joking! How cool would that be?! Plus one wouldn't have to bother about any damage to the vehicle while encountering a bump or the more deadly potholes (most deadly with water-logged roads!)- unlike what unfortunately has just happened with my activa!!
R & B Dept.- jai ho!
Old 17th September 2009, 10:19   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer_dg View Post
Yes, people should use public transport. And yes, it does need enhancement. So what you propose is take away a person's car, ask him to use public transport, and still agree that public transport needs enhancement!

We are talking about cars that meet PUC requirements, that have road tax paid, that have valid insurance and fitness - on what grounds can they be asked to go off road? These privately used vehicles run insignificant milage compared to their commercial counterparts. A majority of people still using their 20 year old vehicle use it because they cannot afford anything else, they will get 20,000 rupees if they sell their car, and a new car is simply not justified. Eitherways, the number of vehicles in question is negligent compared to those less than 20 years old. The effect on pollution and congestion will simply not be seen!

The whole idea is preposterous if you ask me. Nowhere in the world is such a ridiculous rule in place.
Old 17th September 2009, 10:58   #55
BHPian

Idiots are ruling everywhere

People who have something against Old Cars can go and drown in the Deep Ocean.

There are a lot of places to commit suicide.

btw the Court Judge also moves in a car. Why not put him on a Unicycle and say that a Unicycle will occupy less space on the road and will be great to ride into potholes.

btw Why the Police need High - Speed Bikes ? If everyone is supposed to use the bus then are they the only ones supposed to enjoy the open roads ?

We should also suggest the Cops to use Buses and cycles then.
Old 17th September 2009, 11:20   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The whole idea is preposterous if you ask me. Nowhere in the world is such a ridiculous rule in place.
Except maybe in Singapore and Japan! But even there it is not made mandatory per se. The owner can continue keeping the car IF they can afford to pay the Certificate of Entitlement (COE), which however, keeps increasing every 10 years!
Old 17th September 2009, 12:54   #57
Senior - BHPian

All these moves can never come to light till some very basic things like evicting encroachers, stopping the spread of encroachment, having enough installed public transport, massively curbing income tax evasion etc can first be fixed in this country! Once again someone is trying to copy the west in an adhoc manner which never works and will never work. I also think the automobile lobby may be behind this but then again how many old cars in private hands do we really have for anyone to waste the tax payers time on. I think 99.99% people are buying brand new cars, our auto revolution is just about begining and all this stuff about fazing out old private cars is complete crap.

Thankfully we have Mr. Titus among us so if this really has any teeth I am sure he will fix the courts on this sooner than later I hope he is on to it already

Last edited by canonball : 17th September 2009 at 12:56.
Old 17th September 2009, 14:44   #58
Senior - BHPian

Ban on old Automobiles, the ones that my fellow members have in pristine condition, this is ridiculous.

Bye the way a year old private bus, which emits clouds of black smoke, can get away? An auto rickshaw who puts extra dose of engine oil cause is running on DRY fuel can get away with all that white smoke, a truck with mighty air horn causing noise pollution can get away just because of their age??? Who is responsible for correcting road rage? Busses / Commercial Vehicles even in their pristine health hit and run. Many incidents are caused by the State Transport busses and they even brake down quite often??? But they are eligible to run cause of their age, isn’t this just plain ridiculous.

And what fitness test do we talk of; vehicles are not even present for the test, a blunt mockery of the rules. I have seen this my self and also do know quite a few RTO officers.
Old 17th September 2009, 15:02   #59
Senior - BHPian

In my opinion Govt should scrap all the transport vehicles greater than 20ys old. Private vehicles are generally well maintained by there owners hence scrapping maintained cars will be a huge waste of resources.

Government can introduce conditional renewal of licenses based on the fitness of the vehicle, like in Gulf countries where every year you have to present your vehicle for physical inspection and if found fit as per the criteria the permit is renewed for a year. During this time you have to pay all the fines like signal jumping, over speeding etc. until you clear them they will not give go ahead.

In my opinion Govt should scrap the life time road tax law and make it yearly affair provided the facilities are in place
Old 17th September 2009, 16:35   #60
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

sorry I should have made that distinction - all those smoke spewing old Commercial vehicles are no longer there on the roads as far as I saw.

even the ubiquitous old Calcutta Amby taxi's were significantly reduced from what I saw!

cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
No it hasnt. This thread talks about phasing out private cars. The only vehicles that have been banned in Kolkata are 15 year old commercial vehicles - Buses, autos and taxis.

Do PM me before coming down to Kolkata again, Would love to meet another fellow bhpian.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks