Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2009, 20:37   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
Where is DKG's Packards? Humber from Sec'bad, I hope more cars will be in show.
Yes I too wish one of his Packards was displayed there. But, as hillram had told me, the number of selected entrants was very limited. So maybe that explains it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Nice pics indeed. That Wolsley why is it refered to as a "Golfers Coupe" and not a normal coupe. Does it have a specail locker or compartment to carry the Golf bag?

In the first picture of this car it appears to have a bent chassis making it lean to the left. Is this due to the pic angle?
I think it does, considering that it was used specially for golfing outings.

I dont see any bend in the chassis- it must have been the angle of the pic.

harit, yes, I too feel the Austin was a bit over-garnished- also note the chrome "swan"(?) fixed on the bonnet edge- do I see a Cuban car influence?

Anyways, the last of the pics. from my side:

Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display by Deccan Heritage Automobile Association - @ HIAS-img_3435.jpg

Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display by Deccan Heritage Automobile Association - @ HIAS-img_3437.jpg

Suren181's newly nearly finished '57 fiat 1100 elegant at the New Mars stall.

Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display by Deccan Heritage Automobile Association - @ HIAS-img_3416.jpg

NOTE: Quite a number of things on the car you'll find are indeed not correct/complete. The idea was to display the quality of the paint-job by New Mars, not the car by itself. So this was just a stop-gap arrangement (including the tyres) to make it look presentable for the show.
And really, note the finish of the paint on the body- I doubt if PAL themselves could give something close to this even on the early fiats they CKD-built!
Following the show, the car has been sent back to said garage for being properly finished, most of the missing parts being available. Which I'm sure she will be.

Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display by Deccan Heritage Automobile Association - @ HIAS-img_3419.jpg

Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display by Deccan Heritage Automobile Association - @ HIAS-img_3418.jpg

Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display by Deccan Heritage Automobile Association - @ HIAS-img_3429.jpg

Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display by Deccan Heritage Automobile Association - @ HIAS-img_3439.jpg

Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display by Deccan Heritage Automobile Association - @ HIAS-img_3449.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 20th July 2009 at 20:47.
Old 21st July 2009, 10:04   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Suren181's newly nearly finished '57 fiat 1100 elegant at the New Mars stall.
Your car looks great Suren, well done. Remember to flip the front indicator units over, they are incorrectly fitted. Also do paint the wheels in ivory (like original), it will look much better than the black wheels.
Old 21st July 2009, 11:04   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Remember to flip the front indicator units over, they are incorrectly fitted.
Only on one side though, the driver's side.
Old 21st July 2009, 11:05   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Your car looks great Suren, well done. Remember to flip the front indicator units over, they are incorrectly fitted. Also do paint the wheels in ivory (like original), it will look much better than the black wheels.
As I said, a number of things weren't in order then, some of the electrical units were just fitted over without being connected.

As for the wheels, well, he was planning for broad whitewalls, so thought black rims would provide a better contrast.

PS: Here's an even better pic. of the car in another thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...9-dsc_0064.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 21st July 2009 at 11:09.
Old 21st July 2009, 11:16   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Only on one side though, the driver's side.
Yes indeed.

Quote:
As for the wheels, well, he was planning for broad whitewalls, so thought black rims would provide a better contrast.
I would still strongly suggest ivory wheels with the whitewalls. Black wheels give a very subdued looks. Anyways try it out your current setup and then decide.
Old 21st July 2009, 12:03   #36
Senior - BHPian

me too in game for ivory wheels, BTW are those wheels original for Elegent (i believe these type came along with select).

I also see the missing trim for front windscreen, hope that also will be fitted.
Old 21st July 2009, 12:46   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
me too in game for ivory wheels, BTW are those wheels original for Elegent (i believe these type came along with select).
I also see the missing trim for front windscreen, hope that also will be fitted.
Yes, the wheels are all original with respect to '57 fiats onwards, this being a '57 elegant. The initial ('56) models had the wheels like the '54-55 millecento.

The front windscreen beading is of a Maruti van (the original one having got misplaced by someone else prior to fitting and will be found soon) hence the aluminium trim couldnt be fitted onto it.
Old 21st July 2009, 13:29   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The front windscreen beading is of a Maruti van (the original one having got misplaced by someone else prior to fitting and will be found soon) hence the aluminium trim couldnt be fitted onto it.
Ok otherwise also I think these beadings should be available as i recently purchased front and rear ones for my select.
Old 22nd July 2009, 00:10   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

More pics. of the above vehicles can be found in these posts in another thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1393716-post56.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1395148-post65.html

Also surprisingly, a reasonably nice Citroen 2CV panel-van that wasn't a part of the show, but belonged to one of the spectators!

Last edited by Stanher : 22nd July 2009 at 00:13.
Old 22nd July 2009, 09:03   #40
Senior - BHPian

Good show Suren, you seem o be getting there. Pintjob looks good, is it a mettalic black or a Flat black? We also seem to be sharing the same centrelight glass.
Old 22nd July 2009, 09:35   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Pintjob looks good, is it a mettalic black or a Flat black?
amol, it's a "standard" () black!
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:28   #42
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
The Caddy is an excellent car, done correctly. I admit that I saw her for the first time.
The Wolseley looks overdone. Is it a Calcutta resdtoration? I wonder.
The Caddy is a gorgeous car and easily one of the finest in Hyderabad. To my untrained eye it appears to be a 131 in wheelbase making it a Series 70 Convertible sedan with imperial division. The 75 were on 138 inch wb I think. I could be wrong about the wheelbase but I don't recall it being as long as my limo which is a 138 in wb.

The owner has his cars restored at home so in all likelihood the Wolseley was done in Hyderabad.

Am glad to see he has dispensed with absurd carriage lamps he had installed on the Cadillac ( did a well respected historian/restorer have something to do with it? as when I mentioned it to the owner he didn't seem to agree). I hope he's also stopped referring to the car as a one off edition as the division was an accessory from Cadillac, I think at a cost of USD 150 in those days.

Last edited by DKG : 22nd July 2009 at 11:35.
Old 22nd July 2009, 12:33   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
The owner has his cars restored at home so in all likelihood the Wolseley was done in Hyderabad.
I think this Wolseley did come from Calcutta - I remember seeing pictures years ago of the car in Calcutta. Was in the same body style, also white colour, but devoid of the accessories. It had plates that simply said '1921' (or thereabouts). Even now it has not been seen with plates I think.
Old 22nd July 2009, 12:43   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Karl, thank you for stopping by and having a look. Well, as Stanher has mentioned, there is still a whole lot of work pending and man is Stanher, gonna be troubled for this or not .

Quote:
Here's an even better pic. of the car in another thread:
Thank you Shyam, for posting those pics. Will upload the one's that I have on the resto advice thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Ok otherwise also I think these beadings should be available as i recently purchased front and rear ones for my select.
Manish, Could you enquire if the beadings for the Elegant are in stock, with your supplier? I would like to buy them for my car.
Old 23rd July 2009, 11:29   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
'went to the show yesterday afternoon with Suren. The vintage and classic section with the DHAA cars/bikes as well as the new mars stall with Suren's '57 fiat and a matchless bike (needless to say the only sections that I saw properly ) were a real treat for me, having seen no classic scene in Hyd. for quite some time! I'm sure it also served a a right appetiser for the bigger DHAA event on 15th aug.!

Pics. from my side:

The 1915 Wolseley Golfers' Coupe at the entrance; this car was also an entrant at one of the past DHAA rallies. Some had taken it for a Rolls though, which is understandable!
I think that this car has indeed come from Calcutta.
But now she is over restored.
Attached is another picture of a Wolseley-Siddley, somewhere 1908 to 1912, which has been restored by Mr. Manvendra Singh Barwani. This car came from Lucknow, everything above the cowl level was cut and she was pushed around as a temple car. Now she is in Bangalore, and the current owner got her running and fitted the tyres.
I felt that she is very slightly over restored, the plate at the cowl need not have been made of brass. But other than that, a very pleasing car. Just compare the two!
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display by Deccan Heritage Automobile Association - @ HIAS-wolseley-siddley.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks