Old 9th August 2009, 08:47   #61
BHPian

yes mr sudharama its the same car
Old 9th August 2009, 12:24   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperial.s.a View Post
yes mr sudharama its the same car
Thanks for confirming the fact. I was wondering what happened to the car. In 1985 I bought my Sunbeam S-8 from Mr. Ganash Rao. I had visited Mr.Rao a few times and he visited me when I completed my Sunbeam S-8 restoration to check how good it was. He had a Matchless (500 CC) in running condition which he offered me for Rs.6000/00. There was a 6 cylinder Left Hand Drive DESOTO also with him. This also he offered me for Rs-10,000/00. I did not have a huge garage for it, do I declined. If my understanding is correct, the DESOTO was later sold to a foreigner for around Rs.40,000/00 which was taken out of the country. Since the Sunbeam S-8 was bought as a basket case and I had a lot of work to do on it, I did not buy the Matchless, but passed it on to another Enthusiast from Mysore. Mr.Rao did not want these classic / vintage items to end up in Gujiri. He wanted to restore these vehicles but due to oldage and no one else in the family is interested restoration, he would sell these only to some one who would restore them. He made me promise that I would not sell the Sunbeam S-8 to scrap merchants.

I was interested in the Sunbeam Car. He said when the need rises for extra money, the car is passed on to another family member and gets it back later, but won't sell it out side the family.

I understand sadly that Mr Rao in no more with us.

Regards,
Sathish
Old 9th August 2009, 14:58   #63
Senior - BHPian

reagents sunbeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharma View Post
Is this Sunbeam the same car which was with Mr. Gamesh Rao & family for so many years in Bangalore? If it is so , then I remember him saying that this car originally belonged to the Maharaja of Travancore!!!
yes, this car originally belonged to regent maharani of TRAVANCORE .
it had a TRV number(preindependence) .there was another rolls royce which belonged to HH The MAHARAJAH of TRAVANCORE SRI BALARAMAVARMA CHITHIRA THIRUNAL which also is now with PRAKASH
Old 10th August 2009, 00:57   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
it had a TRV number(preindependence) .there was another rolls royce which belonged to HH The MAHARAJAH of TRAVANCORE SRI BALARAMAVARMA CHITHIRA THIRUNAL which also is now with PRAKASH
Ajay and Sudharma, many thanks for the "Travancore" confirmation and history.
By Prakash, I take it you mean "Doc" Ravi Prakash. I thought he also had a 1918-ish Sunbeam from Travancore. Could you elaborate / post any pictures of his Travancore Rolls Royce ? Cheers!

Last edited by travancore : 10th August 2009 at 00:59.
Old 10th August 2009, 19:21   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Ajay and Sudharma, many thanks for the "Travancore" confirmation and history.
By Prakash, I take it you mean "Doc" Ravi Prakash. I thought he also had a 1918-ish Sunbeam from Travancore. Could you elaborate / post any pictures of his Travancore Rolls Royce ? Cheers!
Careful here, Travancore.
The yellow/black Sunbeam has been confirmed as a Travancore car. So you have correct info. And it is with the same Doc.
His 1918 or so Sunbeam came from Eastern part of India, was it ever a Travancore car? I have a doubt, maybe someone confused his two Sunbeams. Suggest you get this checked again.
The Travancore Rolls, well now pictures are difficult. It has been rebodied as a boat-tail and gone into another collection. Still I will try. This Rolls has been discussed before, Dodge engine and no body.

Cheers harit
Old 11th August 2009, 04:17   #66
BHPian

Sunbeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
Is MYB-2313 the sunbeam?
Old 12th August 2009, 06:55   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominator View Post
Yes Sir, it is an ex Travancore car.
I wish to join the KVCCC. I understand that they still don't have a web site. I was guided to contact Dr. Ravi Prakesh. But was not successful. How do I go about it?. Whom to contact? Any help in this direction is much appreciated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks