Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2017, 14:18   #271
BHPian

Fiesta 1.6S...what next? Fun-to-drive car upto 10 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post

Any idea on maintenance costs for GT TSI??

Well that's where lies the Achilles heels of VAGs. They are quite expensive to maintain when compared to the segment. What further doesn't help is the reliability issues prevelant on VAGs with a lot of gadgetry involved. The spares also cost a bomb. The extended warranty would take care of some things but then getting things changed under warranty is also a smoother affair with Fiats.

Last edited by Waspune : 25th May 2017 at 14:21.
Old 25th May 2017, 14:34   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
Well that's where lies the Achilles heels of VAGs. They are quite expensive to maintain when compared to the segment. What further doesn't help is the reliability issues prevelant on VAGs with a lot of gadgetry involved. The spares also cost a bomb.
It isn't so expensive as is often made out to be. The quality speaks for itself and one gets what one pays for.

Life with a VAG isn't prohibitively expensive, we have 2 in the house and 3 in the family.
Old 25th May 2017, 14:40   #273
BHPian

Fiesta 1.6S...what next? Fun-to-drive car upto 10 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
It isn't so expensive as is often made out to be. The quality speaks for itself and one gets what one pays for.

Life with a VAG isn't prohibitively expensive, we have 2 in the house and 3 in the family.

Well it is much more expensive than what's the norm in the segment. Quality is great but it has had various reliability issues specially with their DSGs. Also the stock brakes on the GT are nothing to talk about.

VAGs score the best in the fit and finish even though there are only hard plastics in polo. The exterior built quality is even better in the fiats.

Last edited by Waspune : 25th May 2017 at 14:45.
Old 25th May 2017, 15:11   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Well it is much more expensive than what's the norm in the segment.
VAGs score the best in the fit and finish even though there are only hard plastics in polo. The exterior built quality is even better in the fiats.
We spend most of our driving time inside , don't we?

Still, it isn't too shabby on the outside either.
To each his own!

Cheers!

Last edited by sunsetorange : 25th May 2017 at 15:13.
sunsetorange is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 16:15   #275
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiesta 1.6S...what next? Fun-to-drive car upto 10 lakhs

Quote:
Well that depends on your definition of what 'build quality' is. Fiat might be heavier but VAG has it beat in terms of consistency; Paint quality, Shut lines, panel gaps, laser welding that VW heavily relies on, seamless roof panel etc. Fiat is comparatively archaic in such standards.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 25th May 2017 at 16:31.
Old 25th May 2017, 16:59   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Well that depends on your definition of what 'build quality' is. Fiat might be heavier but VAG has it beat in terms of consistency; Paint quality, Shut lines, panel gaps, laser welding that VW heavily relies on, seamless roof panel etc. Fiat is comparatively archaic in such standards.
I have already said that fit and finish is best in VAGs, please read my post again. What makes fiat heavier is the thicker sheet metal (which I am sure you are well aware of) which blocks all the ambient noise with windows rolled up. Its the best in the segment in doing so.
Paint quality isnt bad in Fiat as well.

Last edited by Waspune : 25th May 2017 at 17:01.
Old 26th May 2017, 21:28   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post

VAG relies heavily on laser welding?

That is only for the roof panel, mate. Also, wonder what you mean by a not-so-seamless roof panel in a Fiat, could you demonstrate a bit and enlighten?

Paint quality, panel gaps or shut lines are as good or bad as a VAG, with fiat, just that interior trims are of better fit and finish in a VAG. Nothing to do with the body panels.
DRIV3R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2017, 13:16   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
VAG relies heavily on laser welding?

That is only for the roof panel, mate. Also, wonder what you mean by a not-so-seamless roof panel in a Fiat, could you demonstrate a bit and enlighten?
Yeah the company actually does and it isn't just for the roof panel. Perhaps the Polo being based on an old platform, only uses laser welding for the roof, but VAGs newer cars use it in several areas as it increases rigidity and reduces the risk of rusting. Visually you will find that VW cars have no extra plastic/rubber/chrome trim to hide the ugly spot welds on the roof panel that you will see in most other cars including Fiats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Paint quality, panel gaps or shut lines are as good or bad as a VAG, with fiat, just that interior trims are of better fit and finish in a VAG. Nothing to do with the body panels.
Actually I do agree with you about paint quality not sure why I added that there, but while the Punto is definitely built far better than most in the segment, I don't think it is as good as VW. While the cars look great and look well built at first glance, I have seen people having to align their doors for example, a lot more often with Fiats than with VWs. Wouldn't you consider the doors as body panels?

Last edited by IshaanIan : 27th May 2017 at 13:22.
Old 14th July 2017, 11:18   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
Any other options?
I owned a Fiat Linea T Jet for 5 years and if I were to buy another sedan today, it will be the same car. 7 years on, there is no car in its segment that can beat it for pure, unadulterated driving pleasure. The engine is not the most efficient or latest in technology but it still puts a smile on your face. The ride and handling, steering feedback is of a level that is unmatched even in segments above it.

I want to recommend the S Cross but that is a good couple of lacs more and a diesel. Worth it I must say.

As for owning a Fiat, all you need to do is care for the car. Yes; service is far from great but I never had anything fall off my car in 5 years! Just the yearly service is all I did. Nothing ever failed on the car too. I'm not saying this is the case with every Fiat.

In my honest opinion, consider the VW Vento Tsi. It is a great sedan and the automatic is a gem. There are more useful toys in it too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks