Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2015, 11:05   #61
BHPian

The Dzire comes with a petrol AT, if you're interested.
Old 19th August 2015, 21:52   #62
BHPian

Re: Automatic car in the 12 - 13 lakh range?

I am getting new 2014 Vento TDI Highline AT at same price as 2015 Vento TSI Highline.

Should I consider this deal?
Old 20th August 2015, 05:41   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
I am getting new 2014 Vento TDI Highline AT at same price as 2015 Vento TSI Highline.

Should I consider this deal?
Which translates to a price of around 11 lacs if I am not wrong. I would suggest you to look at Skoda Rapid DSG and the discounts on 2015 model before closing the deal. It's the same care with similar features and better pricing.
abhjain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 12:34   #64
BHPian

Last week my dad suggested I should at least take a test drive of Honda AT so went for Jazz AT with paddle shifters test drive of 15kms.

Now I am really confused and need help from experts.

I somehow did not find much difference between Rapid/Vento Diesel AT and Jazz AT. In both these cars I felt a bit of lag before car accelerates.

I drive at normal speeds and never go above 120km/h and will be using this car for office commute in bumper to bumper traffic.

I found Jazz AT to be adequate though I know Rapid Diesel DSG is better. To my untrained leg both felt similar.

I don't want to buy Polo/Vento TSI because millage in heavy traffic is only 7-8km/l. I need at-least 12-13, hence diesel AT in the mix.

Please help me decide between Jazz AT(with paddle shifters) Vento TDI AT and Rapid TDI AT.
Old 25th August 2015, 14:30   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Last week my dad suggested I should at least take a test drive of Honda AT so went for Jazz AT with paddle shifters test drive of 15kms.

Now I am really confused and need help from experts.

I don't want to buy Polo/Vento TSI because millage in heavy traffic is only 7-8km/l. I need at-least 12-13, hence diesel AT in the mix.

Please help me decide between Jazz AT(with paddle shifters) Vento TDI AT and Rapid TDI AT.
Considering the driving conditions you mentioned in an earlier post, I don't think the Jazz will consistently give 12-13 in heavy traffic. Although the CVT's rated mileage is typically high. Real world it is much lower mostly due to the rubber band effect resulting in wasted revs.

Honda City CVT owners in heavy traffic cities have reported mileage of 10-11 on an average in the City. Off course the Jazz comes with the smaller 1.2, but I assume will have to work harder to overcome the rubber band effect of the CVT. The Brio which uses the same Engine with a traditional TC AT also gives mileage barely in double digits.

Unfortunately since it is a new car, it would be difficult to get a clear picture. But I think you should not go for the Jazz expecting high mileage.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 15:07   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post

Unfortunately since it is a new car, it would be difficult to get a clear picture. But I think you should not go for the Jazz expecting high mileage.

Would you suggest going for Vento/Rapid Diesel AT?

Somehow Diesel AT did not give me same driving pleasure as Polo AT. Moreover Jazz AT felt almost similar to Diesel AT. This is the reason I am thinking what to do.

Jazz AT on-road Delhi 8.8L, Rapid Diesel AT on-road 10.60L and Vento TDI 11L.

Is AT difference between Jazz AT and Rapid AT good enough to spend almost 2L more?

In terms of millage Rapid AT will give about 14 in heavy traffic and Jazz about 11.
Old 25th August 2015, 15:33   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Somehow Diesel AT did not give me same driving pleasure as Polo AT. Moreover Jazz AT felt almost similar to Diesel AT. This is the reason I am thinking what to do.

Is AT difference between Jazz AT and Rapid AT good enough to spend almost 2L more?

In terms of millage Rapid AT will give about 14 in heavy traffic and Jazz about 11.
Honestly - it depends on your requirements.

Go for the rapid if:
- you enjoy driving: The rapid has a much nicer ride/handling combo, and the gearbox does add to the fun. Once you spend some time with it, the difference is evident
- you need the added boot space
- better fuel economy as it is a diesel

Go for the Jazz if:
- you want a fuss free ownership period
- performance and ride/handling isn't as important as reliability, ease and cost of maintenance, space. The Jazz is a much nicer city car than the Rapid.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 15:58   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

In my opinion, over a period of time, the diesel DSG will turn out to be more enjoyable. But having said that, if you go for the Jazz, the 2-2.5 L you save will cover the additional fuel costs for a long time. So guess the mileage is ultimately not a factor here.

Also it looks like you really liked the Polo/Vento TSI. The TSI will give you an average City Mileage of 10-12 (Yes, it drops to 7-8 during long stretches of bumper to bumper traffic) but on an average it will be similar to what the Jazz will give.

It boils down to your preference. Keeping aside the AT box, look at what all the rapid/Vento provides over the Jazz and whether those are relevant for you.

Have you TD'ed the Aspire DCT? Maybe that will be a good balance between the Jazz and Vento/Rapid.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 16:12   #69
BHPian

I took a test drive of Aspire DCT but to be honest was completely turned off by Ford sales staff, no customer centric approach. Approached couple of other Ford dealers but same response, even raised a ticket with Ford India but no solution.

Anyways not getting further confused, my top three pics are Rapid TDI AT, Jazz AT, and Vento TDI AT.

I am getting Vento TSI at same price as Rapid TDI AT and Vento TDI AT, hence thinking what the heck. (all new cars)

Jazz AT is a wild card entry due to my dad's desire that I at-least try something other than DSG. I am completely at loss to explain how I was able to not differentiate between CVT & DSG. Maybe its diesel effect.

Taking a test drive of Rapid TDI AT and Jazz AT again. Polo/Vento TSI are no doubt top class stuff and after my first ever test drive on Polo TSI I told my folks what a car!

Is this confirmed that overall Vento TSI will give same millage as Jazz AT?

Last edited by heydj : 25th August 2015 at 16:18.
Old 25th August 2015, 16:27   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Jazz AT is a wild card entry due to my dad's desire that I at-least try something other than DSG. I am completely at loss to explain how I was able to not differentiate between CVT & DSG. Maybe its diesel effect.
I don't think that is surprising. CVT's are very smooth and perfect for low/medium speed driving. I guess you will know a real difference only over a long highway drive. Or maybe a person who has extensively experienced a lot of AT"s will be able to make out the difference easily.

Quote:

Is this confirmed that overall Vento TSI will give same millage as Jazz AT?
That was just my opinion. No real justification for that. But what I can confidently tell is that after driving my Vento TSI for 20,000KM- the overall lifetime mileage stands at ~12.7 kmpl. This is with Highway:City ratio of 60:40
Old 25th August 2015, 18:22   #71
BHPian

My daily commute includes 90:10 city:highway ratio.

Need suggestions on few things - between VW and Skoda which is lesser of the two evils when it comes to after sales service and spare parts?

I love rapid black edition looks, polo/vento TSI drive, and honda reliability. Is there no car with all these three things?
Old 25th August 2015, 21:56   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My daily commute includes 90:10 city:highway ratio.

Need suggestions on few things - between VW and Skoda which is lesser of the two evils when it comes to after sales service and spare parts?

I love rapid black edition looks, polo/vento TSI drive, and honda reliability. Is there no car with all these three things?
To a large extent dependent on city and dealer. But in general I would say VW simply for the fact that they have a wider reach and have a car in the sub 10L range (Polo) and another one coming next year (Compact sedan). Since this is the mass market segment, which means higher number of cars on the road, the service and spare part availability may be better.
Old 26th August 2015, 13:48   #73
BHPian

Me and my dad took a extended test drive of Jazz AT today. Millage for the trip was around 8 :(

We both liked the feel but cars acceleration did not inspire confidence. At one point I was taking a U turn on highway and truck was coming from opposite end, I wanted to get out of the way but Jazz did not gather speed at pace I wanted - thankfully truck slowed down.

Have booked another test drive of Rapid Diesel AT today, hoping to close something soon.
Old 26th August 2015, 15:31   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Me and my dad took a extended test drive of Jazz AT today. Millage for the trip was around 8 :(

We both liked the feel but cars acceleration did not inspire confidence. At one point I was taking a U turn on highway and truck was coming from opposite end, I wanted to get out of the way but Jazz did not gather speed at pace I wanted - thankfully truck slowed down.

Have booked another test drive of Rapid Diesel AT today, hoping to close something soon.
And that situation is where you would appreciate the quicker response of the DSG, coupled with the torque!
Suggestion - when driving the rapid, don't floor the gas pedal to check acceleration, as it might downshift two gears and you would be near the redline. In a diesel, the torque starts early, and it is pointless to be near the redline as the torque curve starts going down. You want to go around 50% accelerator travel (one gear down), so you are in the torque band (2200 - 3000rpm). Hope this makes sense!
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 13:37   #75
BHPian

Test drive of Rapid was really good, the power of car met my expectations.

Lamborghini - thanks for the tip, followed it and was able to drive max out of the car.

Also took test drive of Aspire AT yesterday - found that good too though millage was only 7-8 for the trip.

Between Aspire and Rapid Diesel AT any recommendations?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks