Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2015, 16:24   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Automatic car in the 12 - 13 lakh range?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
Test drive of Rapid was really good, the power of car met my expectations.

Lamborghini - thanks for the tip, followed it and was able to drive max out of the car.

Also took test drive of Aspire AT yesterday - found that good too though millage was only 7-8 for the trip.

Between Aspire and Rapid Diesel AT any recommendations?
The diesel Rapid is meant to have a better gearbox, and undoubtedly engine too. The torque really helps compared to the Aspire AT.
However, as a car, I have not driven the Aspire so cannot compare - however, I did come away unimpressed with the Vento I drove last night. Steering was ok, and the car overall was too bouncy and jumpy for my comfort. No where close to the Fiesta and Classic I drove earlier.
Take both the cars on an extended test drive - on a route you are familiar with and end up using considerably (say to and fro office), and pick up whichever vehicle satisfies you more.
Old 31st August 2015, 16:55   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Test drive of Rapid was really good, the power of car met my expectations.

Lamborghini - thanks for the tip, followed it and was able to drive max out of the car.

Also took test drive of Aspire AT yesterday - found that good too though millage was only 7-8 for the trip.

Between Aspire and Rapid Diesel AT any recommendations?
Not spoiling your party but did you check DSG gearbox issues that plague VW cars (so many posts/threads dedicated to this)? Saying this because I did not find any reference to this in any of your posts while weighing pluses and minuses. If I were you I would buy Verna diesel AT. Sure, it has an old-school 4-speed AT but its torque converter is much more reliable. However, if it is petrol, then City AT is said to be better than Verna.
Old 31st August 2015, 22:30   #78
BHPian

DSG problems I did not consider as it may and may not happen, but what I know for a fact is that Verna AT is not good. Time will tell!

Lamborghini took a test drive of all cars on office to home route for best results. Any idea if At used in Tuv300 will be any good?

Even I did not like Vento drive as suspension setup is not good.
Old 1st September 2015, 11:39   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Any idea if At used in Tuv300 will be any good?

TUV300 is an AMT. So don't expect it to be as smooth and well performing as a DSG or CVT from a gearbox perspective.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 08:23   #80
BHPian

Ford Ecosport AT or Polo GT TSI

I have been mulling over this for a long time and not been able to decide for sure. This is because the car is to be driven in Bangalore by my wife, who is new to driving altogether. It will also be used on the highway every three months or so for long trips; close to 1000 kms per round trip. I definitely want to have these features in the car:

• SAFETY – Should have a good rigid monocoque structure with side impact bars and a minimum of six airbags. ABS with EBD, ESP, and Hill Hold Control is a must; no compromise on that part. Then, anti-pinch windows on all four doors is my next preference because of young children who will also travel in it.
I might sound paranoid for being so safety conscious, but it has got into my head and there is no way I can compromise on this aspect. Moreover, Hill Hold and automatic box will definitely help my wife to drive stress free and concentrate on driving/maneuvering well.
  • Compact Size – Obvious, because my wife is a new driver and she is not comfortable driving any sedans or bigger SUVs.
  • Mileage – Not of great significance, but should definitely be in acceptable levels like 11-12 km/l on an average. Petrol or Diesel does not matter.
My budget for this undertaking is 12 to 14 lakhs, which includes the money that I am expecting after selling off my current 2014 Swift ZXI.

Now, with these requirements in hand, I could shortlist only Ecosport AT and GT TSI.

I plan to get the car by November end or so. Are there any new arrivals expected which fits my needs and is worth waiting for? Can you guys help me take this decision with your expert suggestions? Thanks!

Last edited by Eddy : 2nd September 2015 at 14:22. Reason: removing formatting tags
Old 2nd September 2015, 10:27   #81
BHPian

Heydj, I get a feeling that you are comparing apples and oranges. You certainly need to pick the car segment first - Premium hatchback or C2 segment sedan.

Personally I would recommend Ciaz AT followed by Vento TSI. I have same driving situation as you have and it gives mileage of 10-12 in city(depends on my mood that week). It has maximum space and comfort and feels quite spacious even when wife/baby are sitting.

First some Gyan
Comparing a Jazz with Rapid is not fair as they are totally different segment cars. Jazz is more in the segment of erstwhile Fabia or Polo. Rapid is competitor of City. Now try to think what kind of people did Honda have in mind when they brought in Jazz compared to what did they think when they brought in City? Bringing different models in cars is not just an accident but there are specific target people for each. same with i20 vs Vento, SX4cross vs Ciaz. Find out what sement person you are. Try City AT and then compare overall feel with Jazz to understand what a segment difference is. Note the feel for ticklish vibrations you feel in your bottom body when each of these cars pass a rough patch of road.

Now Tech notes
1. For an AT, if you press the accelerator to floor, there is a lag in the sudden push you expect from the the car. CVT (e.g. Scala) feels a lag of over a second; conventional AT (Ciaz) has half second lag and DSG has quarter second lag. If you press moderately, they feel pretty much same. For someone who likes fun to drive (i.e. to race with random cars), a manual would be best choice. So you shouldn't be looking in this segment anyway.
2. Higher the segment, better the car. Rapid/Vento/City/Ciaz will feel more planted and less bumpy on potholes than Fabia/Polo/Jazz/SX4Cross.
3. For city, for my driving style, pretty much all Petrol ATs in the segment you are looking have same mileage band of 10-12. All Diesel ATs have mileage band of 13-15, but are slightly sluggish. If you race any model petrol car with its diesel counterpart (e.g. Vento TSI vs TDI), petrol will always win. So don't bother about individual mileage. Just decide on Diesel vs Petrol.

Lastly
If you are teenager or in 20s and won't travel with family regularly, go for Jazz (hatch). Looks smart.
If you are in 30s or more or have other people travelling every day, go for Ciaz/TSI. Looks professional/Senior and more expensive. Buy the topmost version your budget allows. You will love the extra features and forget everything else within 3 months. Buy TDI only if the trim is same (Highline).
Avoid Rapid.

Disclaimer: data above is based on my own expereinces of extensive driving on multiple cars. I didn't use stopwatches but have shared what it felt to drive these cars.

Quote:
I took a test drive of Aspire DCT but to be honest was completely turned off by Ford sales staff, no customer centric approach. Approached couple of other Ford dealers but same response, even raised a ticket with Ford India but no solution.

Anyways not getting further confused, my top three pics are Rapid TDI AT, Jazz AT, and Vento TDI AT.

I am getting Vento TSI at same price as Rapid TDI AT and Vento TDI AT, hence thinking what the heck. (all new cars)

Jazz AT is a wild card entry due to my dad's desire that I at-least try something other than DSG. I am completely at loss to explain how I was able to not differentiate between CVT & DSG. Maybe its diesel effect.

Taking a test drive of Rapid TDI AT and Jazz AT again. Polo/Vento TSI are no doubt top class stuff and after my first ever test drive on Polo TSI I told my folks what a car!

Is this confirmed that overall Vento TSI will give same millage as Jazz AT?
Old 2nd September 2015, 13:24   #82
BHPian

Re: Ford Ecosport AT or Polo GT TSI

Just wanted to add that I meant a minimum of two airbags and not six in the Safety aspect of my post. I understand that GT TSI does not come with side and curtain airbags! :(
Old 2nd September 2015, 14:27   #83
BHPian

Both are super cars in their own right! Having driven both back to back, I can vouch on the Polo for its amazing engine and the superb DSG gear box. With the new additional features (updated one on sale currently), its even more desirable! Comes with dual airbags (only), ABS/ESP and H-HC (Hill Hold Control).

Ecosport too sports a dual clutch gearbox but I found it to be pretty lethargic (compared to really quick shifting VW DSG) and wasn't really a fun machine to drive. The 1.5 liter engine felt rough and could also hear some strong engine whining when upshifting.

However, from a safety point of view, I would pick the Ecosport blindly! comes with H-HC, six Airbags, Electronic Stability Control, Traction Control!!
Also, it has the advantage of high seating, better interior space and a good ground clearance!

If back interior space is not an issue, I would strongly suggest going for the Polo!
vinair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 14:27   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChupaRustam View Post
Heydj, I get a feeling that you are comparing apples and oranges. You certainly need to pick the car segment first - Premium hatchback or C2 segment sedan.
Thanks for the long writeup, gyan & tech notes.

My research has ended with me deciding to go for Skoda Rapid Diesel Elegance Plus AT. (Until I book it one never knows)

On a side note to everyone Diesel cars more than 10 years old will be banned in Delhi. If I plan to sell this vehicle after 4-5 years should I get UP number instead of Delhi?
Old 2nd September 2015, 14:31   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVNair View Post
Just wanted to add that I meant a minimum of two airbags and not six in the Safety aspect of my post. I understand that GT TSI does not come with side and curtain airbags! :(

Ecosport might not be the best choice for a newbie driver. The all round visibility is not that great especially the A pillar area. On the plus side, I believe the Ecosport AT comes with 6 airbags which the GT TSI does not have.

From a drivability perspective, the GT TSI will be a much better performer due to that wonderful TSI engine. In addition you now get cruise control in the GT TSI which will be helpful in those long drives. It also feels more compact than the Ecosport. The main disadvantage would be the rear seat space.

So among these, I would vote for the GT TSI.

The other 2 options you can consider are the Jazz V CVT and and the Ford Aspire DCT.

The Jazz will be very good in the City due to its smooth CVT but may not be that much fun on the highway.Challenge is that it does not come in the top VX variant and hence misses out on some very good to have features like magic seats.

The Aspire DCT is a good choice as it comes with the same engine and gearbox combo as the Ecosport but is cheaper and probably easier to drive.

Your budget will allow you to buy the Vento TSI or Honda City CVT, but i believe you do not want a sedan.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 2nd September 2015 at 14:38. Reason: Adding quote
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2015, 19:18   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
The diesel Rapid is meant to have a better gearbox, and undoubtedly engine too. The torque really helps compared to the Aspire AT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
So don't expect it to be as smooth and well performing as a DSG or CVT from a gearbox perspective.
Hi lamborghini, Rajeevraj, and all Bhpians who helped me decide which car to buy - a big shout out and thanks, you guys Rock!

Got Skoda Rapid Elegance Plus Diesel AT. Love the awesome ride and looks of the car. Bought it in Brilliant Silver with multi spoke black alloys and black roof, along with black ORVMS and grill.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 26th September 2015 at 19:43. Reason: Fixing quotes
heydj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2015, 19:32   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Hi lamborghini, Rajeevraj, and all Bhpians who helped me decide which car to buy - a big shout out and thanks, you guys Rock!

Got Skoda Rapid Elegance Plus Diesel AT. Love the awesome ride and looks of the car. Bought it in Brilliant Silver with multi spoke black alloys and black roof, along with black ORVMS and grill.
Hearty Congratulations heydj. Glad to hear that. Wish you all the best. Do share pictures and an ownership review when you get the time.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 22:11   #88
BHPian

Question to the moderators -
is there a thread on team-bhp to put ad for used car sale?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks