Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2015, 21:39   #1
BANNED

Automatic car in the 12 - 13 lakh range?

Hi BHPians,

I am in the market for a new automatic car and the car will be bought in June/July. Now the question is why I am starting a thread so early? Well, I really need to gather all the information I can before I actually purchase.

Now the scene is:

I need a car that must be automatic in the 12-13L range. It will be my daily driver and will cover 80-90 kms a day. It must be fuel efficient enough to not burn a hole in my pocket (i'm a student), must look good to appeal, be decent to drive and must be decently fast.

Now the contenders are:

- Ford Ecosport AT
The Ford Ecosport comes in petrol only for automatic but going by the reviews on the forum, owners are getting 11-12 kmpl from it which I feel is acceptable (my petrol Polo gives the same in the MPi guise and its a manual) so I can consider it for the daily run in the current petrol prices scenario. It fulfills the looks criteria easily and as for performance, the engine isn't particularly sporty (like the ecoboost) but it isn't a tortoise either from what I have heard.

-Skoda Rapid DSG
Rapid DSG seems another good combo because of diesel automatic. It will be much more efficient than the Ford. A sedan will always have more sporty handling than a mini SUV. The engine seems to have grunt to satisfy. It looks rather good too in the black pack guise. And it just about fits in the budget as well.

-Hyundai Verna Diesel Auto
The Verna is another contender that is listed. It is fast so performance is fulfilled. It looks really really good even today. The only grouse is the 4 speed auto though from what rumors say, it will be replaced with Elantra's 6 speed so that's solved. The 2014 versions have solved the soft suspension too, so that's solved as well.

-VW Polo TSi
Another Polo to replace a current Polo. But the car is just that good I certainly do not mind. Again a petrol so fuel efficiency will go for a toss compared to the diesel options. In Delhi, I have heard and read from various ownership reports that the Polo TSi gives 11-12 kmpl so practically it is in same league as the Ford. The nimbleness of a hatch is unparalleled. And it looks really good as well.

Other cars considered were the Celerio, Grand i10, Zest AMT, and Alto K10 but all rejected due to lack of safety features.

Thank you for your help in advance.

P.S: Will there be any new launches till June? Or max the wait can be till december/January next year.
kisharchit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 21:49   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Automatic car in the 12 - 13 lakh range?

I would suggest looking at the Diesel AT options only given your running. 90 kms is a lot of running everyday and a car is kept for 3-5 years. The fuel prices will ofcourse go up again and I don't think the current honeymoon period will last longer than maybe a few more months.

Where did you read about Verna getting the 6 speed AT box? If that is true then my pick will be the Verna from the lot for peace of mind. I personally would not trust the Germans with that kind of running. On the other hand if you have had a good experience with the Polo then most certainly you can opt for the Rapid/Vento DSG + diesel combination. Off late there have been no failure reports noted with the current DSG boxes.

Also on the other hand you mentioned elsewhere that the Ecosport AT is loaded to the grill and still costing you around 10.5L OTR. That will be quite a bit of saving upfront compared to the other cars listed above and hence this option also makes quite a bit of sense.

Happy hunting.

Last edited by drmohitg : 12th February 2015 at 21:50.
drmohitg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 22:24   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Where did you read about Verna getting the 6 speed AT box? If that is true then my pick will be the Verna from the lot for peace of mind
There is a rumour doing the rounds that the upcoming Verna facelift (Solaris) would get the 6 speed TC box from the Elantra diesel automatic.

Agree with your opinion that it might just be worth waiting since the launch is just around the corner.
Old 12th February 2015, 22:38   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Since you are considering the Polo TSI, it would be good to consider the Vento TSI also. Will at least feel like an upgrade as opposed to replacing a Polo with another Polo.

What is the spread of the daily running? Is it totally in city crawling traffic or it has stretches of open roads? On an average the TSI's give a mileage of 11-12 in City conditions, but if you have a lot of crawling stretches, it can drop down pretty fast.

With this in mind, a diesel makes more sense. Which basically narrows it down to the Rapid/Vento twins and the Verna (assuming the diesel AT also gets the 6 speed one). I don't think there are any new diesel AT's due for launch.

One other factor is the drivability. The TSI is a gem of an engine and really enjoyable to drive. From what I have read, the 1.5 TDI although a competent engine is not as punchy or free revving as the TSI.

If you are ok to consider petrol's the Honda City CVT can also be considered.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 12th February 2015 at 22:39.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 23:29   #5
BANNED

I would recommend the rapid/Vento diesel DSG if you want less running cost and the TSI if you want refinement and can handle the fuel costs.
I would not recommend the Verna as it does not have ESP.
My polo GT TSI gives pathetic single digit average in traffic. Do keep that in mind.
And that is with speed 97, sigh.

Brilliant car to drive though.
H_Dogg72 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 23:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

That running needs a Diesel, If you can wait for the Facelifted Verna which is thought to have a 6 speed Auto, it would be excellent if not, I would suggest the current Verna from the options above.
Old 13th February 2015, 00:30   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Where did you read about Verna getting the 6 speed AT box?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
There is a rumour doing the rounds that the upcoming Verna facelift (Solaris) would get the 6 speed TC box from the Elantra diesel automatic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
I would recommend the rapid/Vento diesel DSG if you want less running cost and the TSI if you want refinement and can handle the fuel costs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
That running needs a Diesel, If you can wait for the Facelifted Verna which is thought to have a 6 speed Auto, it would be excellent if not, I would suggest the current Verna from the options above.

One of my friend's relative in Bangalore is looking to buy a new car. He was told by a Hyundai dealer about the new Verna - most likely to be launched in India in March 2015. If the dealer is to be believed then one can get between 1.5 lacs to 2 lacs discount on the current Verna model.

The relative though is more keen on Rapid. But he hasn't made up his mind yet. Most likely he is going to wait for the new Verna. Test drive and then decide between the two.
Old 13th February 2015, 00:58   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller Nayak View Post
He was told by a Hyundai dealer about the new Verna - most likely to be launched in India in March 2015.
Hyundai has already confirmed a February 18th launch for the facelifted Verna.
Old 13th February 2015, 09:26   #9
BHPian

Your daily commute of 90 odd kms will it be within city or on highway? The choices you have given range from a hatch back to SUV . For such distance of daily commute diesel does prove to be economical in long run but if the car will be replaced in 2-3 years then go for petrol.

For city driving a hatch back would be best. For city and highway mix : sedan would be good option.
Old 13th February 2015, 12:25   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Automatic car in the 12 - 13 lakh range?

Since you are looking at over 2,500 kms a month, only a diesel AT makes sense. Not only is diesel cheaper, but (especially in automatics) diesel engines are also significantly more fuel efficient in the city.

I'd highly recommend the Vento / Rapid 1.5L Diesel DSGs to you. These are very, very competent sedans. The engine & transmission mating is brilliant, and the car otherwise is an all-rounder.

The single downside is the reliability of the 7-speed DSG. But despite that, I'd pick one of these sedans if I were looking at a diesel AT. Look up our official review & ownership reports of these cars.

Quote:
No chance. Hyundai won't give the 6-speed AT to the Verna. That is one of the differentiators to the more expensive Elantra.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2015, 12:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hyundai has already confirmed a February 18th launch for the facelifted Verna.
Yes, but he wants an automatic and if Hyundai still straps a stone-age 4-speed AT box to that engine then everything else goes out the window.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2015, 12:49   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
No chance. Hyundai won't give the 6-speed AT to the Verna. That is one of the differentiators to the more expensive Elantra.
I also thought so, but i read an article in International Business Times a couple of days back announcing the launch on 18th and it clearly mentioned that a 6 speed automatic gear box is also likely.

Guess we can wait for a couple of days to know whats on the cards
Old 13th February 2015, 17:31   #13
BHPian

I would say go for the diesel Vento/Rapid. It ticks all your needs. Considering that you will be running your car quite a lot each month, it makes much sense to get a diesel.

The Vento/Rapid twins are superbly built(German tank), reasonably fast and fun to drive too. They are very safe too. Glad that you understand the value of safety in cars.
DSG reliabilty concerns remain though.

Since you are familiar with the VW group, I think after sales and service won't bother you much.
I would say go for the Rapid since you already own a Polo.

Last edited by petrolhead_neel : 13th February 2015 at 17:35.
Old 13th February 2015, 19:14   #14
BHPian

My choice would be either the Vento or the Rapid Diesel DSG. The difference is that the Vento has a bit more equipment and the fantastic flat bottom steering wheel & leatherette seats, whereas the Rapid has Cruise Control.
IMHO, the cruise control can be retro fitted in the Vento. Vagtune & Pete's could possibly help to do this.

Last edited by GTO : 16th February 2015 at 11:55. Reason: Typo
Old 14th February 2015, 00:38   #15
BHPian

I am in the similar car buying dilema these days. Vento TDI with DSG OTR Delhi is 13.51L, i am thinking of whether to go for this or chuck the DSG spend bit more and get Chevrolet Cruze LT (my heart says cruze and head says Vento). Just dont know whether to go for a car with DSG or one with manual.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks