Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2023, 16:11   #556
BHPian

Re: The 'Garage dilemma' thread : Buy / sell / keep / shuffle my cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGalaxy View Post
Requesting suggestions & guidance from members here! Many thanks for your inputs.
Your choice is very simple actually. Do you need 2 cars? If the answer is a Yes (useful always) or Maybe (useful sometimes and/or preferred) then keep both and take them to grave as per age only. Keep running them as long as they do and as long as the government allows you to.

If the answer is No, then sell the Innova. Breeza seems to be better suited to your needs (local city runs, economic to own and run it). Even here, if you keep the Innova, it should be ok. Baring the extra expenses of Insurance and Service, I don't see any issue in keeping it.

Getting another car today for you seems pointless. No matter what the policy makers may decide today or tomorrow.
sunilch is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2023, 22:17   #557

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGalaxy View Post
Requesting suggestions & guidance from members here! Many thanks for your inputs.
Hello AutoGalaxy,

Question you need to ask yourself: Do you really (I mean really!) require 2 cars?

If yes: Option 1 seems to be the better decision. Both are good vehicles for your requirement, a city car / fast highway muncher Brezza and for those long comfortable family trips - Innova.
Option 2 only if it is really helpful for your wifey as well!

If No: Option 3: I vote for Carens here as you don't want to spend more say for a car like XUV 700. You can have a headache free 5-6 years of ownership of a modern car with all features.

Your confusion should get solved once you have a firm answer for the first question!

I would have gone for option 1

BTW, loved the way you explained your dilemma. I must say there is clarity even in confusion!

Drive safe!
Rev2Serenity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2023, 21:30   #558

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
Do you need 2 cars? If the answer is a Yes (useful always) or Maybe (useful sometimes and/or preferred) then keep both and take them to grave as per age only.

If the answer is No, then sell the Innova.Even here, if you keep the Innova, it should be ok. Baring the extra expenses of Insurance and Service, I don't see any issue in keeping it.
Thank you Sunilch for sharing your insights. I read your suggestions are inclined towards keeping the Innova. Honestly , I too feel the same. The thoughts of selling comes to mind only "Not to be at a loss of money".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev2Serenity View Post
Hello AutoGalaxy,

Question you need to ask yourself: Do you really (I mean really!) require 2 cars?
On this, I am in "Maybe (useful sometimes and/or preferred)" category mentioned by Sunilch. Having second car gives very much flexibility during drive decissions! If 2 car exist, I am sure both of them will easily get 7k to 10k Kms added each year!
AutoGalaxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2024, 12:04   #559
BHPian

City car for Wife

Hello BHPians,

Need some advice.

Here is the scenario.

I have 2013 Alto K10, with 98k on ODO. She is asking for good maintenance. I want to have a small car for my wife which she can use for her daily city commute of 20-25 kms ONLY. In bumper to bumper traffic in Pune. As a main car we have Bolero Neo which I have been using as a daily driver as well.

My confusion:

1: To keep Alto, spend 20-30k on it and get it up and running for next 5 years?
2: Buy a sub 4 Lakh AMT car for her. (She is a new driver and so is my dad, both can use AMT car easily)
3: Buy a manual car and get AutoClutch installed. (I have it in my Alto, which I can transfer to another car but as Alto is not in good shape right now, the kit is not being used)

What I am looking for?

1- Which option do you think is more practical?
2- If option 2, AMT would be a good option?

I have been searching AMT cars of sub 4 lakh and I could find Celerio, Alto k10, Wagon R and Kwid in that budget. I have never used AMT and have no idea about the performance and issues related to it.

Sorry if sounds like a mess but that's why I am here for

Thanks in advance.
Old 5th January 2024, 12:34   #560
Senior - BHPian

Re: City car for Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerKeeda View Post
I have 2013 Alto K10, with 98k on ODO. She is asking for good maintenance. I want to have a small car for my wife which she can use for her daily city commute of 20-25 kms ONLY. In bumper to bumper traffic in Pune. As a main car we have Bolero Neo which I have been using as a daily driver as well.
I'd vote for option 1. If the Alto can serve you well after repairs, and the auto-clutch system works, there's no point to spend 4 lakhs on a used AMT for city commutes. A known devil is better than an unknown angel.

My personal opinion is that AMTs are best when bought new. These are essentially like your Alto's auto-clutch system, the difference being that the gear selection is also controlled by the ECM. So clutch wear is similar to a manual car. When buying used, your AMT experience will depend on how the car has been driven in the past. I consider proper automatics, such as Grand i10 and Honda Jazz, to be more predictable in this regard and a better choice for buying used.

Third option is also worth exploring, if you can get hold of a well-kept manual car and use the auto-clutch on that. But I doubt you'll need anything more than a K10 for Pune traffic.

Last edited by self_driven : 5th January 2024 at 12:37.
Old 12th January 2024, 12:57   #561

Hello bhp-ians,

I am confused as to keep or sell my Nissan Terrano Diesel 85ps (2015).

I bought it used when it was around 83k kms. The fundamentals were good and I decided I can work little by little on bringing it back to perfection. It has been more than a year and more than 12,000 kilometers with the car. When I look back, I just see myself having spent alot of money on repairs (though nothing ever really failed or broke down, I always find myself annoyed or irritated with the partially functioning parts and sudden noises coming up here and there. So I try my best to put in money, time and alot of effort to rectify issues then and there when I notice them). After all the many workshop visits, even now I cannot find myself happy with all the aspects of the car entirely. I thoroughly enjoy the ride and handling and all the bare-bones that make it a perfectly practical car with ample space, Great GC etc. But me and my family just cannot stand the frequent workshop visits that he requires to stay in shape. My primary objective was to get a car that has it's engine healthy and I decided to take care of the rest. But now I realize that an old car has too many things to be taken care of.

I have finally decided to sell it off and go for a relatively newer used car or a completely new car. I now realize that all the money I have put in to make this car a happy place for my family is entirely non-refundable

1. Should I sell it without thinking much about the money I've spent? Or should I consider all the spendings and retain it knowing it will still need a couple of tens of thousands to stay 'perfect'.

2. If I sell it, what car can give me the comfort and space that the Terrano has spoilt us with and what car can give me the peace of ownership and the reliability which the Terrano failed to provide?

I have been a person who always wanted performance and handling together and thats why I went for a diesel. But the ownership experience has pushed me to a point where I have made up my mind that I can live with plain NA petrols and enjoy whatever fun that can be extracted from the car - given I go through a peaceful and fuss free ownership.

My requirements are as follows :

1. Good handler and Adequately powerful to ride both in cities and in highways.

2. Space for 5 with decent ride quality (test drove the Fronx and was disappointed by the ride quality).

3. Reliable and inexpensive to maintain

Pre-loved cars are my first option (due to obvious budget constraints) and I can go up to 8L with the aid of a Loan.

A small part of me is terrified by the nightmare-ish used car experiences of many people. Makes me think spending a couple of lacs more on a used car makes complete sense. Still holding hopes for a genuine used car believing that Spinny would be able to give me one.

Thanks to all those who read through this.
Please pour in your valuable thoughts and experiences.
Old 10th February 2024, 21:53   #562
BHPian

Two cars or one medium sized hatchback?

Dear all,
How's life cruising?
Trust everyone is finding some stability and comfort in this bumpy and adventurous journey of life.

I have hit a Y junction and I have parked in the middle, unable to decide which turn to choose.
Going to need to know your stories of experiences and pointers you have to share for me to make a choice.

Background.
I am from Bangalore, live with my parents and earn my bread and butter in this city only.

Over the years we have owned Omni and Innova.
That was when I was a school going kid and dad used to drive.
Our family size shrunk after the passing of my grand parents and we decided to downsize our car from Innova to a spacious family sedan.
Ciaz was the first car we owned when I got my driving license. I have so many fond memories of it, sneaking out of the house with the car and so on...
Unplanned drives when being home alone.
Heck!
Us friends had even planned a trip while playing Gully Cricket. We finished the game, rushed home to pack and we did make that trip happen.

Somewhere along the final year of engineering, we felt the need for a small city car that is big enough for four and small enough to fit in tight parking spots. A car that my mom could drive.

We bought Alto K10 AMT from Truevalue
Our car had run 10,000 Km when we had bought and currently it is nearing 50,000 km mark and running fine barring the AMT gearbox.
We were all busy with our lives
We were not getting leaves at the same time. No more family road trips were happening. Most of the road trips were and are with friends now.
In the middle of all this, Ciaz was being neglected and it used to spend weeks together in our house. Just a few months before covid first struck the world, we sold it.

Today, my mother has gotten used to Bangalore traffic and is pretty confident taking the car anywhere.
My brother just got his driving license and drives it as well.
As for me, I have done 1000+ kms of solo trips in it

But then there's a problem
Space
99% of the time only one of us takes the car out and it's a nightmare going out together as a family because of lack of space.
Power
1 Litre engine is adequate for a cruise but then when the matter comes to overtaking, it requires a lot of planning and patience.

What do I want in the new Car?
I definitely want power. I want to get that feeling that I have enough power under my right foot and can go for it whenever I want.

Reliability
We have mostly owned Japanese cars and over the years, our experience has been - fill it - shut it - forget it type
As mentioned before the story of planning a trip while playing cricket is true and we often head out without any plans and accordingly I maintain the car too.

Comfort
After the limousine like ride quality in Ciaz, short wheel base Alto has been exact opposite but that has not bothered us from adding kilometres

Our usage with Alto has been 15000 km per year on average barring 2020.
Now,
I have no intention of selling Alto but then we now want to restart family road trips again.
We are looking for a 1-3 year old used car only and not a new car.
No NEW CAR is being considered.

Should we retain Alto and add a highway cruiser or sell it and buy a car that is best of both worlds?

Budget?
Unable to decide on that one. Here's where all your suggestions are going to help.
What kind of a car should I be looking at and what budget should we set?
We have lived with Innova, Ciaz and now Alto.
What would be the right addition/replacement?

Please type in your suggestions.
Thank you
Abhinav V is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 09:26   #563

Re: Confused in upgrading my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Lets list some points that I gather from your posts and please correct me if I have misunderstood anything.

1. You don't need 2 cars anymore and would be happier with 1 car to maintain and insure.
2. You don't like the Creta primarily for its FE and want to get rid of it.
3. You like your 2016 i20 Elite Diesel for its peppiness and FE.
4. Your annual running will be around 10-12k kms.
5. You aren't prepared to put in the money for a hybrid as yet.

Also,
6. Your usage doesn't justify a diesel.
7. Don't expect any diesel CSUVs with the RDE norms, if there are any the price increase will be significant.

You didn't mention why you wanted to sell the i20 if you like it so much ? Is it the manual transmission?
If so then both the Vitara Brezza Diesel and the XUV300 come with an AMT and it isn't the best experience.
The S-Cross diesel was manual only so that doesn't work either.
Plus all these cars would be of a similar age as the i20 or maybe 3-4 years newer. This doesn't make sense to take a hit in selling and buying only to get a 3-4 year advantage.
Buying a BS6 diesel for city based usage anyway runs a high risk of premature DPF issues.

My suggestion :
Points 1-5 conclusively suggest to sell the Creta and enjoy the i20. Its still valid till 2031, you can easily enjoy it for at least 3-4 years, let the hybrid market settle down and then look for something like the HyRyder or whatever is available then.
In the meantime if you want to refresh your i20 you can look at getting it serviced from a good ASC/FNG. Then get it detailed from a good studio, some upgrades like wheels and tyres, ambient lighting, ICE etc.

Do read these threads for some valuable insights :
- GTO (ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?)
- blackwasp (Your car's midlife crisis - How to rejuvenate your existing car and save a lot of money)
- GTO (How a more expensive car can work out cheaper (if you hold onto it for longer))

I previously shared my thoughts on my purchase of a used Creta 1.6 AT 2019 model. After using it for 1.5 years, here's how I feel about the vehicle:

While I find the ride comfort satisfactory, I have concerns about the mileage and power delivery, especially during long drives when quick overtaking is a challenge. This challenge is more in my town (Kerala) where roads are narrow. Even the triptonic function doesn't seem to help much. I am somewhat disappointed with the vehicle's power and mileage. During a recent 530 km long drive, the Creta returned only 9-10 kmpl, which was disappointing.

Now, I am considering exchanging the vehicle for a diesel alternative, as I am more accustomed to the driving dynamics of my diesel i20 (my second car). While browsing a used car dealer's website, I came across a 2017 Creta diesel 1.6 AT priced at 11.8L, with 62,000 km on the odometer and a single owner. My petrol Creta has only run 30,000 km, and I purchased it for 12.45L.

I seek advice from experts here on whether it would be wise to exchange my petrol Creta for the diesel variant. If so, how much should I negotiate for in the exchange? Or, if this would be a poor decision, please let me know.
Old 29th February 2024, 19:02   #564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_gypsy View Post
- especially during long drives when quick overtaking is a challenge.
- During a recent 530 km long drive, the Creta returned only 9-10 kmpl, which was disappointing.
- I am more accustomed to the driving dynamics of my diesel i20 (my second car).
- whether it would be wise to exchange my petrol Creta for the diesel variant.
- I understand, 1.6NA with a torque converter automatic isn't going to translate to a quick response anyway. The fastest combo in the 20 lakh range is the turbo-petrol and DSG/DCT combo like the VW's TSi-DSG but considering you're more attuned to driving a diesel you will see even worse FE numbers and in petrol. Plus the usual riders associated with a DSG unit along with the cost rule it out.

- This isn't normal, unless you're gunning the car throughout the journey there is something wrong with the car. I would suggest to get it checked at some reputed FNG or take it to Hyundai ASC for a scan of the codes and basic checks like air-fuel-spark combo along with stuff like throttle body etc.

- I reckon this is the biggest contributor outside of any severe performance issues with the car. And the only solution is to get another diesel.

- While its clear that you're more attuned to diesels so a petrol won't cut it for you but I don't see much sense in getting a Creta diesel which is just an year newer than your i20 and you don't really need two cars in your garage as you'd previously mentioned.

Suggestions :
1. Get your car checked, hang around the car while they check it, ask about the FE the mechanics have experienced from the petrol Creta to establish that what you get is expected and not due to any issue with the car.
2. I think that instead of looking around every year for another used car why not sell both your Creta, i20 and get something new, like the Creta/Seltos in diesel and AT. But before that get an extended test drive of both these cars, in your conditions so that you're truly satisfied with what you're getting.

PS : I have no experience with the used car prices so can't help you on that.

Last edited by shancz : 29th February 2024 at 19:03. Reason: ps
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 10:22   #565

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
- I understand, 1.6NA with a torque converter automatic isn't going to translate to a quick response anyway. The fastest combo in the 20 lakh range is the turbo-petrol and DSG/DCT combo like the VW's TSi-DSG but considering you're more attuned to driving a diesel you will see even worse FE numbers and in petrol. Plus the usual riders associated with a DSG unit along with the cost rule it out.

- This isn't normal, unless you're gunning the car throughout the journey there is something wrong with the car. I would suggest to get it checked at some reputed FNG or take it to Hyundai ASC for a scan of the codes and basic checks like air-fuel-spark combo along with stuff like throttle body etc.

- I reckon this is the biggest contributor outside of any severe performance issues with the car. And the only solution is to get another diesel.

- While its clear that you're more attuned to diesels so a petrol won't cut it for you but I don't see much sense in getting a Creta diesel which is just an year newer than your i20 and you don't really need two cars in your garage as you'd previously mentioned.

Suggestions :
1. Get your car checked, hang around the car while they check it, ask about the FE the mechanics have experienced from the petrol Creta to establish that what you get is expected and not due to any issue with the car.
2. I think that instead of looking around every year for another used car why not sell both your Creta, i20 and get something new, like the Creta/Seltos in diesel and AT. But before that get an extended test drive of both these cars, in your conditions so that you're truly satisfied with what you're getting.

PS : I have no experience with the used car prices so can't help you on that.

Thank you for the advice. Following your suggestion, I asked around my friends in Cochin for a good garage. I received a few recommendations and plan to take my vehicle there soon. I've decided to hold onto both vehicles for a while longer. I'll wait to see if any new hybrids are launched this year or next year. I have my eye on the Duster.
gearhead_gypsy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 07:04   #566
BHPian

Jimny vs what could be a 3rd car with Thar and SCROSS in the garage?

Hello T-BHPians -

I am unable to decide whats the best strategy for my garage and trying to get help from fellow car enthusiasts. Basically i want some one to knock some sense into my head as to I have come to a point where I am unable to make an intelligent decision and getting too emotional.

Current Scenario -
1. Have a 2020 OCT SCROSS with the KB15 engine at 38,000 kms. Mostly driven by the driver for the little one's and wife's needs like school or visiting in laws and such. Excellent condition on the car and no complaints for the family. Fully paid off.
2. Have a 2022 MAR THAR, at 45,000 kms. Always driven by me and have made quite a few highway and ORR runs in Hyderabad. Runs well and this is my baby. Excellent condition on the car and I have no complaints with it. Loan still on.

Then comes the Jimny, and for a person who loved the Gypsy and MM540 all my childhood, my heart is now pushing me towards getting the Jimny 2023, mostly because i am getting a really sweet deal. I wouldn't have been this tempted, if it was the earlier pricing, the new pricing just makes me drool and i am trying to consider this only because I have an opportunity to own it, not that I need it.

Another thought process is, I am pretty shocked that i did 45,000 kms in 24 months and I am dreading the thought of my Thar getting used more than it should and i might have shortened the life of my baby. Every time I start the Thar, I am feeling more and more guilty for stressing my THAR (I really feel the Thar is my second kid in the family). I have not used the 4x4 on the THAR more than 10 times may be. Hardly must have put on 1 km on the THAR with 4H//4L. All the running was on 2H.

How will the Jimny help?
1. I might start using Jimny more and this will reduce the burden on the THAR
2. Will have the excitement of getting a Jimny and fulfil the Gypsy bug
3. The 4 seater might make this a family car when I drive. I am not a fan to sit in the SCROSS as the car is barely adequate for me from comfort stand point.

Now i am going with few scenarios in my heart. My head is rejecting all of them by the way, full disclosure.

Scenario 1:
1. Keep the SCROSS and THAR and get the JIMNY. Use the JIMNY and baby the THAR.
IMPACT - will have a new loan to pay off along with the THAR
OUTCOME - will have the JIMNY at a good price

Scenario 2:
1. Keep the SCROSS and THAR and get the Innova Crysta.
2. With the diesels running out of the market, getting the Innova might give me an option for a long term dependable diesel for family trips as a group. The current options are not really good long drive options
IMPACT - will have a new loan to pay off along with the THAR
OUTCOME - Will have the Innova as the luxury//family car and have a dependable long drive companion which is very comfortable.

Scenario 3:
1. Sell the SCROSS and keep the THAR and INNOVA CRYSTA
IMPACT - SCROSS is in very good condition mechanically and feeling guilty to sell it. I am hoping that this might be a good beater car for future.
OUTCOME - Will have a proven diesel MUV for long term family usage

The only reason, Innova has come into the equation is again a heart vs head thing. I am having the fear of missing out on a capable car which can serve the family for a good 15 years or more if everything works out from the Govt regulatory perspective.

I have to be honest, none of my close friends are CAR people and I am hoping to get some insight and suggestions from this bunch as I am very sure I would get an objective help.

How would you respond to the current scenario I am in.

Last edited by Inquilab28 : 13th March 2024 at 07:19.
Inquilab28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 08:30   #567
BHPian

Re: Jimny vs what could be a 3rd car with Thar and SCROSS in the garage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquilab28 View Post
Hello T-BHPians -

I am unable to decide whats the best strategy for my garage and trying to get help from fellow car enthusiasts. Basically i want some one to knock some sense into my head as to I have come to a point where I am unable to make an intelligent decision and getting too emotional.

2. Have a 2022 MAR THAR, at 45,000 kms. Always driven by me and have made quite a few highway and ORR runs in Hyderabad. Runs well and this is my baby. Excellent condition on the car and I have no complaints with it. Loan still on.

Another thought process is, I am pretty shocked that i did 45,000 kms in 24 months and I am dreading the thought of my Thar getting used more than it should and i might have shortened the life of my baby. Every time I start the Thar, I am feeling more and more guilty for stressing my THAR (I really feel the Thar is my second kid in the family). I have not used the 4x4 on the THAR more than 10 times may be. Hardly must have put on 1 km on the THAR with 4H//4L. All the running was on 2H.

How will the Jimny help?
1. I might start using Jimny more and this will reduce the burden on the THAR
2. Will have the excitement of getting a Jimny and fulfil the Gypsy bug
3. The 4 seater might make this a family car when I drive. I am not a fan to sit in the SCROSS as the car is barely adequate for me from comfort stand point.

First of all, why is a high running on the THAR an issue? if the vehicle is giving you happiness, just continue using it. As long as you are not looking at resale prices, you do not need to worry about high running. Just enjoy the vehicle. Just a fraction of the money you save by not buying another vehicle will be needed to maintain the THAR even once you reach 6 digits on the odometer.
You can always go for the 5 door THAR, that too a 2WD version once its out, as by your own admission you dont really need the 4WD version.

Regarding the Scross being your errands car, its best to keep it, as there is no loan, there are no niggles. Plus, the peace of mind that even if the driver dings it, you will not be emotionally hurt, something which wont hold true if you give a brand new vehicle to the driver. (No offense to your driver).

Regarding diesels, they may be going out of fashion, but they are being replaced with petrol strong hybrids, and they should, atleast in the coming future, be as good to drive as the diesels today. The diesels are loved not because they consume diesel fuel, but because of the low end torque they generate.

Your post lacks strong conviction to buy the Jimny, it just sounds like HAVE EXCESS MONEY, NEED TO BUY SOMETHING. (I get that you will take a loan, but I gues that isn't a big deal for you)

You wanted some frank opinions, here was mine. Apologies for the blunt approach...

Last edited by kosjam : 13th March 2024 at 08:35.
kosjam is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 11:11   #568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosjam View Post
Your post lacks strong conviction to buy the Jimny, it just sounds like HAVE EXCESS MONEY, NEED TO BUY SOMETHING. (I get that you will take a loan, but I gues that isn't a big deal for you)
Summarised it well. The best way to satiate this feeling is to spend the money on a road trip to throw out the thought of selling any car. Most of us envy people who get to drive more than 20K KMs a year. And here you are doing just that and wish to reduce it only because you want to 'baby' the Thar? Cars are meant to be driven and there is no upper limit on how many KMs it should be driven a year to age it. Yes, there will be wear & tear for which we have service intervals based on either KMs or year.

I don't have anything other than what has been already said by Kosjam. Keep the Scross as a beater and put more (s)miles on the Thar!

Last edited by VWAllstar : 13th March 2024 at 11:12.
VWAllstar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 12:44   #569
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquilab28 View Post
Hello T-BHPians -

How would you respond to the current scenario I am in.
You have a comfortable family crossover and good 4x4 SWB SUV. What else do you need? Enjoy the Thar and use the Scross for family trips. Why add unnecessary financial burden unless your needs are going to change or your existing cars are too old. You really think you will like the engine on the Jimny after the Thar?

Last edited by Axe77 : 23rd April 2024 at 08:09. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st March 2024, 01:39   #570
BHPian

Garage reshuffling conundrum

Dear all,
Hoping this thread finds you well. I'm currently stuck between heart and mind, Yolo and practicality, and on top of them all availability and unavailability of cars.

Past and current garage:
As a family of three, we've always had this habit of holding onto our cars for long. Held the Innova for 11 years (had to sell due to NGT) and the SX4 still going strong at 14 years and 10 months. Upon selling the Innova, we purchased a Glanza S AMT as a beater. That did solve the problem of having just one car at our service but still, the need for a primary was always there. Now since the SX4 is nearing its Delhi NCR end, it's time for her to go and that gives me the perfect opportunity to get a primary as a fit replacement for my Innova.

The dilemma:
February 2024, Dad calls up the Toyota SA he has known for over 12 years now. He told him he needs a Hycross/Crysta to replace the Innova to which the SA said no chance of us getting either car till a year without a formal booking. Nevertheless, he gave my dad his word he'd try to pull a few strings. I consider myself a mature 17 year old so I agreed with my dad on sticking with Toyota's reliability rather than exploring another manufacturer. Fast forward to yesterday, the SA calls up my dad and tells him that there are barely any Crystas being made anymore and according to him, Toyota has already informally discontinued the Crysta. He further came to the topic of Hycross and said that the variant we asked for (GX) isn't readily available anywhere in Delhi NCR and that many people who desperately want the Hycross are picking up cars from states far away like Jharkhand. Disheartened, my dad put the Innova plan on hold.

Options:
Before we discuss options, we've decided to book the ZX(o) which will take around a year and a half or two to come. So for now, we need to look elsewhere. Kindly note, the options listed below are the only options we are considering.

Option 1:
The first YOLO option. My dad and I love the Scorpio N. We both had a strong dislike towards the first generation but we love the one on sale currently. So the option is, we buy the Scorpio and when the Hycross is allotted to us, we sell the Glanza. That way we have a two-car garage - the Hycross ZX(o) and the Scorpio.

Option 2:
The second YOLO option. My dad and I have an even greater liking towards the Thar. Like the Scorpio N, we disliked the first generation but drool over the one on sale currently. But in this case, we won't let go of the Glanza. That way we have a three-car garage - the Hycross ZX(o), Thar and Glanza. However, I'm not a fan of this option since practicality would take a huge hit till the Innova comes as neither the Glanza nor the Thar can carry a lot of luggage on road trips with three people.

Option 3:
Getting a secondary car. In this option, we've made a list of four cars, i.e. - City, Ciaz, Hyryder and Slavia. We still won't let go of the Glanza when the Innova comes, so a three-car garage again.

Option 4:
Used Innova Crysta for now. But once the Hycross comes, the Used Crysta would go. So two-car garage.

Notice how only with the Scorpio and used Crysta, there is a two car garage. That's because we intend to spend 15+ lakhs for both those cars. Whereas for the other four cars - City, Ciaz, Slavia and Hyryder, we intend on purchasing variants under 15 Lakhs hence the three-car garage.

Kindly help me choose the right option. I'm sure it's confusing for everyone to understand but a 100 times more confusing for us to decide.
Regards.
PetrolHead2272 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks