Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2021, 01:09   #421
BHPian

Re: What Car Do I sell. Advice needed on garage reshuffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
#1. Sell the Indica only if it is fetching good value in the market.
What would a good value for the car be ? 6 months back i was given a ball park figure of 1-1.2 Lakhs. At that time it felt too low and I spent around 20K, have now got it in top form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Doc, my take: Sell the Baleno

1. better re-sale price

4. Indica Vista is a fair car, and best as a beater between these, esp with driver coming in. And also the lower re-sale price. And I think this will be the least used car amongst the 3. It is actually a decent car - you have had it this long. I have driven it too.
I agree with you the most.
The foreseeable usage of the city car would be 100 kms a week, perhaps

The most compelling reason to sell the Vista is the 15 yr mark would be coming up in 3 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
If you don't have financial constraints
Loans right now are dirt cheap, and hence I ended up buying the Thar without selling another car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
If you own multiple cars, Never buy a car , before you have sold one!
Been there done that. Bought a RE Thunderbird before selling my Bullet. Never had the heart to sell my Bullet after that. In retrospect it was the best thing that happened. Currently the Bullet is in better shape than the Thunderbird and I might sell the Thunderbird off soon

Last edited by slicvic : 19th March 2021 at 01:11.
Old 28th July 2021, 16:33   #422
BHPian

Re: The 'Garage dilemma' thread : Buy / sell / keep / shuffle my cars

My 9-year-old BRIO has covered 90k and my 6-year-old Figo is at the 85k mark.
During the last 18 months, they have hardly rolled.

Since I moved to the rooftop solar arrangement, I am keen to go electric. But the issues seen with the first iteration of Nexon EV is forcing me to wait for another couple of years to do the switch.

Now, the need is a simple reliable safe automatic.

First question, should I sell both and buy a single car, possibly CSUV? Sell one and buy a smaller one like Wagon R AMT?

I like the simplicity of Urban cruiser aka Brezz - what else should I consider?
Old 28th July 2021, 18:30   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
First question, should I sell both and buy a single car, possibly CSUV? Sell one and buy a smaller one like Wagon R AMT?
Looking at your intentions to go electric in the future, I'll suggest to sell both and get a feature-loaded car that can serve you for long distance runs. EV that'll join later can then be exclusively used to potter around town. Brezza and S-Cross both are very good options to consider.

If not for the future EV plans, I'd have advised against selling both the cars together. It's a lot of hassle + the Figo, if it's diesel, is simply too good to let go.
Old 28th July 2021, 19:11   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Now, the need is a simple reliable safe automatic.

Thilak29, with traffic the way it is in our cities and accepting it is not going to improve, an automatic car is the most comfortable choice to make.

Whichever car you buy, do not buy an AMT without taking multiple test drives to see if it’s something you are able to live with. In my opinion it’s the most most irritating automatic transmission to drive. The jerky gearshifts made me sell off my Ignis AMT in a little more than a year.

Since you are looking for a simple, safe automatic, I would lean towards a Torque Converter (TC) or a Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT).

All the best in your search.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 28th July 2021 at 19:12.
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 22:07   #425

Hello to all the Bhpian's,

To being with, I have been a silent follower & a member for team bhp since sometime now. Never miss a day of new updates every morning. Lately I have been facing a dilemma & as the name of the thread says "Garage Dilemma". I own a Used-2008 Honda Civic AT which has clocked close to 90k kms. Coming to the vehicle the engine is still amazing but there are few other mechanical issues that have cropped up and needs financial resources to fix. It's not that I don't have them but I am in a dilemma if its worth investing or going for a new car (used).

Mechanical issues : :

1. Steering oil leakage. Now this has plagued my car for a long time now and may be the biggest expense. i fear the steering pump and the pressure pipes needs replacement.

2. The front suspension :I am observing that when ever i am going on rough patch of road the steering wheel is giving slight movements. I can feel this when going through those bumps. Not sure if this is because of Steering rack or bad tie end rods, swing arms & other suspension parts.

3. Brakes : Brakes have started making squeaking noises and I feel few replacements are due there as well.

4. Dents : My car was dent free until the last 6 months where my dad was hospitalized due to covid. My brother left the car in a lane beside the hospital due to no parking space and when I came in the morning to collect the car "Voila" my right side back door has a huge dent in it. The front & rear bumper has got pretty bad dents too and needs touch ups.

5. Seat cover replacements : These needs replacements as the front sear covers have torn in few places and on the arm rests and the seats themselves have become hard and don't feel much comfortable.

6. Back seat making creaking noise every time I hit brakes or going on a speed breaker.

7. The AC needs some work as sometimes it cools and sometimes it doesn't.

8. Needs oil changes.

Other Issues :

1. Low ground clearance : This is one of the major problem I am facing apart from the mechanical issues. The front bumper has kissed a lot of speed breakers and deep potholes and parking spaces which have very steep incline/decline. In fact my parents who are in their 60's and wife also complain about the difficulty in getting in and out due to its low stance.

2. Fuel Efficiency : This pointer has caused lot of pain to my wallet.

All of these points have got me thinking if its time for a replacement. I have been thinking of BR-V diesel/petrol or S-Cross diesel/petrol. Both these cars have good ground clearance and good engines. I love cars and enjoy driving them. Not a huge fan of feature loaded cars with weak engines that we are seeing in the market these days. In fact I am not huge on feature rich trend going on in the market.

Need your advice if I should repair the car and keep it for longer period or get a new one (less driven) from one the 2 options that i have shortlisted. Budget is around 6- 6.5 lacs.

Please advice if I can look at any other good performance and safety focused cars in this price range. My focus are: Performance, Good ground clearance, Good ride quality, Good built, good efficiency, low maintenance. Not sure if i can get all these in a single package considering the budget. NOTE: Will be looking only at used cars.

Thank you for taking out time and reading this post. Will look forward for some valuable suggestions.
Old 25th August 2021, 09:41   #426

Dear Admins,

Any possibility of getting my post highlighted for a wider audience view as I see that this thread is not active lately. I am new to team BHP & and did not find a way reach you directly hence posting a message here. Please move this message if needed as per the your rules and regulations.

Pasting my post number if it helps in anyway :#425
Old 25th August 2021, 10:02   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaid_ames View Post

Thank you for taking out time and reading this post. Will look forward for some valuable suggestions.
I get a sense that you have mentally discarded the car already. The jobs you have mentioned are very routine for a 90k run car. These will consume upto 1 lakh possibly, but owing a car like Civic needs a bit of heart into it. If you go by head only, this is a very impractical car in India.

Listen to your heart and take the decision. If you loved the Civic, you will regret selling it...
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 13:53   #428
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Need your advice if I should repair the car and keep it for longer period or get a new one (less driven) from one the 2 options that i have shortlisted. Budget is around 6- 6.5 lacs.
Could you clarify how long you have owned the Civic? You mentioned you bought it used.

I agree with member 2000RPM that the issues you are facing are not inconsistent with a car of that vintage. However, if ingress / egress is an issue for your family in the Civic and fuel efficiency is also a problem, then you have outgrown the use case of the Civic - the BR-V will definitely address these two issues for you. Just keep in mind that as a product, the BR-V is a couple of notches lower than the Civic.

I would imagine that for a 6 - 6.5L budget you would get BR-Vs within 3 years or so if I’m not mistaken? That should definitely make for a suitable update in terms of routine upkeep and maintenance compared to your 2008 Civic.
Old 25th August 2021, 14:45   #429
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
All of these points have got me thinking if its time for a replacement. I have been thinking of BR-V diesel/petrol or S-Cross diesel/petrol. Both these cars have good ground clearance and good engines. I love cars and enjoy driving them. Not a huge fan of feature loaded cars with weak engines that we are seeing in the market these days. In fact I am not huge on feature rich trend going on in the market.
Both the car options you gave as an example might not be available in Diesel avatar in the price bucket you are looking for; and if they do, they'll probably come with mileage similar to your car (about 70k - 90k). Case in point - my pre-owned S-Cross 1.6 falls in your budget but it came with 90k on the odometer. Any less mileage and I'd have to shell upwards of 1-2L atleast.

Most of the issues you have listed are consistent with the kms you have clocked on your car. In fact I'd expect a few more unless the car has been maintained pretty well. As for mileage, yes, that's a problem you can get away with by moving to a better option.

My advice - retain it. Do a back-of-the-hand calculation to see the additional money you'd have to put to move from selling your Civic AT and buying a manual S-Cross/BR-V/similar options (considering the budget range) and equate it against the expected maintenance costs and the (cost) difference in mileage you'd get between both choices.

Chances are high that you'd be still with some cash in hand if you stick with your current ride plus you know the pros/cons of your car and can plan accordingly.

Quote:
Please advice if I can look at any other good performance and safety focused cars in this price range. My focus are: Performance, Good ground clearance, Good ride quality, Good built, good efficiency, low maintenance. Not sure if i can get all these in a single package considering the budget. NOTE: Will be looking only at used cars.
Except for ground clearance, ingress/egress and (mileage) efficiency, by your limited description, I believe you already have the rest in your Civic AT. Splurge a bit to pep it up (reference thread) and enjoy the new avatar of the car

Last edited by ninjatalli : 25th August 2021 at 14:48.
Old 25th August 2021, 15:14   #430
Distinguished - BHPian

Honestly, it doesn't make sense to buy another 5 year old, 40-50Kkm driven vehicle with your budget, as you could see routine maintenance cropping up on those vehicles as well : new tyres, depending on condition - clutch & suspension, etc.

I would put a realistic budget of Rs. 2L on your civic to get it to it's former glory if not better as a worst case, and also keep Rs. 1L aside for work not carried out (rear suspension, tyres, brakes, etc.) to keep the car running for another 2-3 years.
Financially, it'll make sense to keep the Civic but you'll have to live with the other issues + downtime in repairing Civic.

If it doesn't seem like a feasible option, I would look at the S-Cross strongly - albeit in 1.3 trim as the 1.6 does have the odd niggle & not all Maruti service engineers are all well versed.
Other options I would look at are the Corolla, Creta lower trims (1.4 EX, etc.), Duster (though a good independent garage to maintain is recommended). Make sure to have the cars properly evaluated.
Old 25th August 2021, 15:29   #431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pasting my post number if it helps in anyway :#425
Zaid, I have a 2010 Civic V AT done 45xxx kilometres. With the mileage you are talking about and the kind of repairs you have listed, I would sell it off as is and look at options as I don’t think it's worth keeping the car anymore. Being low slung, ground clearance and ease of getting in/out are the achilles heel of this otherwise wonderful car. Since this appears to be a major pain area for you, perhaps it’s one more reason to let go of the car.

Alternatively, you need to find out if you go through with all the repairs, what is the approximate/real world cost involved. I have already mentioned what I would do, in your case whether the cost outlay justifies keeping the car inspite of the other issues is something only you can decide.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 25th August 2021 at 15:30.
Old 25th August 2021, 17:00   #432
Distinguished - BHPian

Your options don't look good my friend. Civic is a great car. The Japanese sell utter garbage now. You can spend some money to get the civic mechanically sorted, but if the cabin feels and smells like an old damp taxi, then you better sell it and be ready to downgrade to a lesser car. You can buy the Honda City with TC AT, Altis AT etc. Or go to the dark side with Jetta MT. Used and new SUVs command a huge premium over sedans and generally come across as inferior to sedans. Stick to sedans if you want VFM.

Last edited by androdev : 25th August 2021 at 17:19.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 17:47   #433
BHPian

Quote:

Personally I’d sell it and with the given requirements and budget get the Accord, look for 2012-13 models, get the 3.5 V6 if you want performance over efficiency, get the 2.4 if you want better fuel efficiency. In Delhi/NCR despite the horrible road conditions, I’ve never had an issue with ground clearance, fuel efficiency isn’t terrible, isn’t great either but it’s a small price to pay given the performance/space/reliability offered. Don’t look at BRV, it’ll always feel like a downgrade and doesn’t even get basic safety tech like ESP and 6 airbags.
Old 26th August 2021, 16:49   #434
BHPian

Need help as I have almost decided to let go my Rapid DSG TDI by Aug next year. It would have completed 7 years and 45K kms by then.

I want to buy a car that is AT and gives me peace of mind. While my Rapid is solid there is always a worry in back of my head about going anywhere without service station nearby. Due to this have not done many road trips. Pretty sad situation to be in.

I am thinking of following:

New Thar Petrol AT - Live in NCR
Used Fortuner Petrol AT

My other requirement is car with less gadgets/ electronics. Don't really need touch screens and other electronic wizidary. Need fundamentally well built car with reliable AT.

Any other recommendation. I can't think of any other reliable SUV to buy either in new or used segment. Also its only me & wife hence Thar is on the list.
Old 26th August 2021, 19:09   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
Need help as I have almost decided to let go my Rapid DSG TDI by Aug next year. It would have completed 7 years and 45K kms by then.

I am thinking of following:

New Thar Petrol AT - Live in NCR
Used Fortuner Petrol AT

My other requirement is car with less gadgets/ electronics. Don't really need touch screens and other electronic wizidary. Need fundamentally well built car with reliable AT.
If not for the concern of electronics reliability, the new XUV700 AX5 AWD AT could also be added to the list.

I am also looking at a replacement for my 7-year-old Verna 1.6 CRDI and a new Thar or used Fortuner AT are on top of my list. I am looking at Diesel though and can therefore add the Endeavor also. Still on the fence about XUV700.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks