Team-BHP > What Car?


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2019, 20:33   #286
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8
Thanked: 3 Times
Default What Car!? To Sell and To Buy??

This is the reason, for a long time Team-BHP lurker - once rejected for membership, to try again and finally be a Team-BHP member.

I have been thinking too much about the problem at hand for far too long, hence I need to tap into the infinitely vast wisdom of the Team-BHP community. So here is the problem or rather two.

I am on the lookout to purchase a MUV 7/8 seater since my kids are growing and its not safe to have the younger one sit with my wife like I have been doing on drives where my parents accompany me.

Problem #1: Which one to sell?

Between me and my Father we have three cars: 1. 2015 Fiat Punto EVO Emotion MJD(60K ODO) 2. 2015 Maruti Ritz ZXI (~15K ODO, owned by my Father, Gujarat registration) 3. 2018 Tata Tiago XZ (7K ODO).

1. Fiat Punto: I rather like to drive the Fiat Punto, have driven extensively it across southern/western India. Also the car is only 4 years old and I still can make use of it for another 3-4 years. But, its out of production now and there are questions on spares/service going forward. Though, when asked, the guys at Pride Motors (JEEP/FIAT dealers in Hyd) assured that I would get support/service for atleast 5-10 years, I am a bit skeptical. Still, considering everything, I am leaning towards not selling Punto .

2. Maruti Ritz: Another option was to sell Ritz in Gujarat and transfer Tiago over to my Father, since Tiago is new they would have a better car to drive. The downsides are 1. Pay road tax again in gujarat 2. Police might stop/check them often since it will be a vehicle from another state 3. Transfer process itself might be tedious and time consuming.

3. Tata Tiago: We bought the vehicle last year for my wife, so she is attached to the vehicle, same as I am attached to Punto . But since this is a new vehicle I might get the best resale value out of the 3 options. Overall, nothing wrong with the car, it gives good milage, build is good and the drive is decent too (can't compare it with the Punto though, apples vs. oranges). Though I might make a loss on financial side I am leaning towards selling the Tiago.

Please add your thoughts on the first problem and my decision, while I complete the Problem #2 in an upcoming post.

Thanks,
UDAVE.
udave is offline  
Old 19th June 2019, 09:03   #287
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,177
Thanked: 3,409 Times
Default Re: What Car!? To Sell and To Buy??

I would have sold the RITZ and bought an Ertiga for the following reasons.

1. Out of production car, but would still fetch decent value due to Maruti Brand (compared to Fiat, which I think you should extract maximum value out of before selling. Tiago will lose a lot of value for selling so early, and its a fairly decent vehicle for a lady)
2. Will give you exchange bonus to top up the resale value
3. Will continue to provide the same ownership experience (wrt service, service advisors, etc). Hence no change adjustment period.
4. This is the ugliest of your lot
2000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 09:43   #288
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: What Car!? To Sell and To Buy??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I would have sold the RITZ and bought an Ertiga for the following reasons.

1. Out of production car, but would still fetch decent value due to Maruti Brand (compared to Fiat, which I think you should extract maximum value out of before selling. Tiago will lose a lot of value for selling so early, and its a fairly decent vehicle for a lady)
2. Will give you exchange bonus to top up the resale value
3. Will continue to provide the same ownership experience (wrt service, service advisors, etc). Hence no change adjustment period.
4. This is the ugliest of your lot
Thank you for your response 2000rpm. The only issue is the Ritz is in Gujarat and I need the MUV out here in Hyderabad. That's why we were thinking of sending Tiago out to GJ, but as you said Punto resale value wouldn't justify selling it. And since Tiago is TS registered my parents might face frequent checks.
udave is offline  
Old 19th June 2019, 10:38   #289
BHPian
 
avisidhu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 733
Thanked: 795 Times
Default Re: What Car!? To Sell and To Buy??

Quote:
Originally Posted by udave View Post
... That's why we were thinking of sending Tiago out to GJ, but as you said Punto resale value wouldn't justify selling it. And since Tiago is TS registered my parents might face frequent checks.
Unless it is a typo, why do you want to increase your hassles by sending the Tiago to GJ?

I completely agree with 2000, do away with the Ritz. If you don't sell the Ritz, you would anyway postpone your hassles; better do it now when there's a genuine need to do so. Selling the Punto won't make any sense, it has already depreciated enough so retaining it for 3-4 years is more sensible.

The least desirable vehicle in your garage fetches the most resale, it's a simple enough decision And yes, considering the immense praise the new Maruti diesel engine has been receiving, the Ertiga would make immense sense. Talk to a Maruti dealer for exchange, and I'm sure he'll take care of your registration issues as well.

Last edited by avisidhu : 19th June 2019 at 10:40.
avisidhu is offline  
Old 19th June 2019, 12:08   #290
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: What Car!? To Sell and To Buy??

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Unless it is a typo, why do you want to increase your hassles by sending the Tiago to GJ?

I completely agree with 2000, do away with the Ritz. If you don't sell the Ritz, you would anyway postpone your hassles; better do it now when there's a genuine need to do so. Selling the Punto won't make any sense, it has already depreciated enough so retaining it for 3-4 years is more sensible.

The least desirable vehicle in your garage fetches the most resale, it's a simple enough decision And yes, considering the immense praise the new Maruti diesel engine has been receiving, the Ertiga would make immense sense. Talk to a Maruti dealer for exchange, and I'm sure he'll take care of your registration issues as well.
Thanks for your inputs avisidhu, probably I left some incomplete info in my original post. The Ritz is in Gujarat, so if they sell it off, I need to transfer Tiago to Gujarat for their use. Which will result in extra roadtax + heightened checking by police. Once the Tiago is gone, I can go for either Ertiga/Marrazzo/BRV, which is the next piece of the puzzle.
udave is offline  
Old 19th June 2019, 13:00   #291
BHPian
 
self_driven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Haryana
Posts: 704
Thanked: 1,795 Times
Default Re: What Car!? To Sell and To Buy??

Quote:
Originally Posted by udave View Post
I am on the lookout to purchase a MUV 7/8 seater...
Man, that's one tricky situation to be in! I would recommend selling off the Punto.

The Tiago is too "new" to be sold; both as an asset and an overall product.

On the other hand, selling off the Ritz calls for transferring Punto/Tiago to GJ which is nothing but unwanted trouble. Moreover both these cars aren't a significant upgrade over a Ritz to justify the transfer hassles.

Fiat is dying a slow death in India. You have enjoyed the Punto for a good 60k kms and holding on to it for the next 4 years is really not needed. You'll end up spending a decent sum on maintenance (60-120k kms period is generally heavier on pocket) for a car which will fetch you peanuts when you get rid of it some years down the line. Yes, get rid because, even at rock-bottom prices, buyers for such a car will be as scarce as hen's teeth. Just ask any Chevrolet owner and you'll know.

My advice would be to sell off your Punto and go for a nice, safe and modern MPV such as Mahindra Marazzo.

Last edited by self_driven : 19th June 2019 at 13:06.
self_driven is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 15:46   #292
BHPian
 
Thermodynamics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 756
Thanked: 3,682 Times
Default Re: What Car!? To Sell and To Buy??

If your wife is attached to the new Tiago, two of your options are anyway ruled out i.e. sell Tiago or ship Tiago to GJ. You have just two choices left, sell your beloved Punto or ship it to GJ provided your father appreciates the performance of Punto over Ritz (being a tall boy model Ritz is ergonomically better for old). I understand its kind of tough but selling Punto will make your life easy.

The Odo on Ritz and Tiago doesn't justify resale. IMO they haven't even ran in.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 19th June 2019 at 16:00.
Thermodynamics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 16:42   #293
Senior - BHPian
 
rohan_iitr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,094
Thanked: 654 Times
Default Re: What Car!? To Sell and To Buy??

Quote:
Originally Posted by udave View Post
Problem #1: Which one to sell?

Between me and my Father we have three cars: 1. 2015 Fiat Punto EVO Emotion MJD(60K ODO) 2. 2015 Maruti Ritz ZXI (~15K ODO, owned by my Father, Gujarat registration) 3. 2018 Tata Tiago XZ (7K ODO).

Thanks,
UDAVE.
I don't understand what your confusion is (if you keep your emotions aside and think logically).

Tiago is only 1 year / 7k kms old and being used by your wife.

Ritz is only 4 years / 15k kms old and could provide trouble free service to your parents for another 10 years.

Assuming that you would be the one driving the 7/8 seater MUV to be purchased, and considering the fact that Punto is already 60k kms old and would be a trouble to maintain in the long run, it is a no-brainer to let go of the Punto, while you still can get some decent resale value out of it.

In order to keep the enthusiast within you satisfied, you just have to select a MUV which is not too boring to drive.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 16:58   #294
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: .
Posts: 210
Thanked: 670 Times
Default Re: What Car!? To Sell and To Buy??

Here's an unorthodox suggestion.

Sell *NONE* of the cars.
Whenever your parents are in town, which will be, i guess not very frequently, just hire a self drive Fortuner, Endeavour etc from zoom cars or myles or my choize or avis or whatever else.

If, and only if, one car has to go, it has to be the Punto. Its run 60K, which is not a lot, but the others are laughingly underused. (Ritz at 15K doesnt make sense to sell, also shows how little your parents use their car, Tiago's too new)
simeonovitch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 09:30   #295
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: What Car!? To Sell and To Buy??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
I understand its kind of tough but selling Punto will make your life easy.
Absolutely agree with the tough part, I see where this is going. :|

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I don't understand what your confusion is (if you keep your emotions aside and think logically).
How can I put emotions aside, I have a Punto Evo Emotion Pack (Pun intended). But cars have always been a head vs heart battle, even when I was purchasing it I was advised not to since they weren't selling in huge numbers. But as I have been told on the forum, I have already had a good 60K run and have enjoyed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simeonovitch View Post
Sell *NONE* of the cars.
I had briefly thought of this, but when my parents visit they stay for 3-6 months, if I have an MPV/MUV it would be easier for roaming around in city as well as weekend drives to longer @ 500-600KMs ones too.

But the overwhelming sense I get from the posts so far is Punto has to go.
udave is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2019, 11:38   #296
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Delhi
Posts: 13
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: What Car!? To Sell and To Buy??

Quote:
Originally Posted by udave View Post
I am on the lookout to purchase a MUV 7/8 seater since my kids are growing and its not safe to have the younger one sit with my wife like I have been doing on drives where my parents accompany me.

Sell the Punto. Ritz, though discontinued, will still not be a problem for another few years because of MS' parts and service availability. Tiago is too new to sell.

I would sell the Punto and get a Marazzo (not an Ertiga). It's a much better overall package.
morecrap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2019, 17:47   #297
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: The 'Garage dilemma' thread : Buy / sell / keep / shuffle my cars

Well, the next piece of the puzzle: What to Buy?

Over the course of last 2 days I've visited Mahindra , Maruti and Honda Dealers here in Hyderabad. The resale values that I received from Honda was just laughable, the one from Mahindra is still OK with the exchange bonus. I still need to get the Punto evaluated with TrueValue. Marrazzo is big and bulky, need some inputs from current owners on the drive in bumper to bumper city traffic. Ertiga, is compact so more or less it should be Ok to drive it in city. I really liked BRV but due to the exchange value I am dropping it from the list of vehicles to look at.

The point is, for such a good vehicle, just because of the brand, the resale value is not upto par. This is exactly what I was thinking will happen if I try to sell Punto . Still have some time to decide, so any inputs would help!

Thank you!
udave.
udave is offline  
Old 23rd June 2019, 22:28   #298
BHPian
 
self_driven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Haryana
Posts: 704
Thanked: 1,795 Times
Default Re: The 'Garage dilemma' thread : Buy / sell / keep / shuffle my cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by udave View Post
Still have some time to decide, so any inputs would help.
Wait for the Renault Triber's launch if you can. Clearly it doesn't fit your purpose well, but sales figures of this car will force Maruti and Mahindra dealers to offer good discounts.

Considering that you're concerned about resale too, the Marazzo won't hold its value as well as an Ertiga or Innova. That said, findings buyers for a diesel Mahindra won't be difficult and you can take a chance if you really like the car (there's no other option I believe ).

If you can explore used options, try out the ultimate MPV Innova Crysta as well.

Last edited by self_driven : 23rd June 2019 at 22:33.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2019, 22:29   #299
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 442
Thanked: 1,633 Times
Default Re: The 'Garage dilemma' thread : Buy / sell / keep / shuffle my cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by udave View Post
The point is, for such a good vehicle, just because of the brand, the resale value is not upto par. This is exactly what I was thinking will happen if I try to sell Punto . Still have some time to decide, so any inputs would help!
Extremely sorry to add to your confusion, but I would suggest not selling the Punto. The resale value of Fiats is pathetic, and little would change over the next few years. Therefore, you'll effectively be using the car for free, since it has already depreciated a lot. If I was in your place, I'd run the Punto to the ground, and sell it only if it was impossible to maintain it any longer. The only cause of worry would be servicing and spares, but you've mentioned in your original post that your garage has assured you of support for the next 5 years or so. Therefore, I'd suggest not selling the Punto.

The Tiago is too new to sell, plus it's a robust car that makes for a good city roundabout. Don't sell it either.

I think you should sell the Ritz since being a Maruti Suzuki product, you'll be able to getter a better resale value for it than the Punto, while at the same time, you'll be able to retain the better car.

I'm not too pessimistic about the Tiago's transfer process. Yes, you'll have to pay the road tax in GJ, but you can claim refund of the AP/TS road tax too. This is the part of your question that is most difficult to come to a solution to. Talk to some RTO agents and figure it out, and if you feel it'll be too much of a hassle for you, you can retain the Ritz and sell the Punto.

All the best, and hope you take a decision you're happy with!

Last edited by boniver : 23rd June 2019 at 22:36. Reason: adding a sentence
boniver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2019, 08:48   #300
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Delhi
Posts: 13
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by udave View Post
Well, the next piece of the puzzle: What to Buy?



Over the course of last 2 days I've visited Mahindra , Maruti and Honda Dealers here in Hyderabad. The resale values that I received from Honda was just laughable, the one from Mahindra is still OK with the exchange bonus. I still need to get the Punto evaluated with TrueValue. Marrazzo is big and bulky, need some inputs from current owners on the drive in bumper to bumper city traffic. Ertiga, is compact so more or less it should be Ok to drive it in city. I really liked BRV but due to the exchange value I am dropping it from the list of vehicles to look at.



The point is, for such a good vehicle, just because of the brand, the resale value is not upto par. This is exactly what I was thinking will happen if I try to sell Punto . Still have some time to decide, so any inputs would help!



Thank you!

udave.

Out of the MPVs available in the market, I have owned an Ertiga Diesel (and hated it for the drive experience, especially in bumper to bumper traffic). My uncle has the BR-V Petrol Automatic and that's a very decent vehicle. My brother recently bought the Marazzo Diesel.

If bumper to bumper traffic is what you're worried about, the bulk may not irritate you has much as the frequent shifting. I'd highly recommend an automatic. Now in options with automatic, Ertiga is absolute garbage. The only decent option is the BR-V petrol CVT.

If you're still okay with manual, I don't think you can go wrong with the Marazzo. Bulky as it is, it actually has a usable third row. It's absolutely silent in the cabin (much more than my Verna diesel automatic). The engine is zippy and performs very well. Honestly, after owning the Scorpio, this doesn't feel like a Mahindra vehicle. In Delhi, my friends comfortably get 15-17 Kmpl on this thing which is insane.

Although the Ertiga Petrol is okay to drive, it doesn't match the performance and efficiency that Marazzo delivers, in my opinion.

I don't think resale would be a problem with the Mahindra Marazzo Diesel. I've seen this car get decent attention off late. It gives you the Innova experience at a budget. For a big family, it's the logical choice.
morecrap is offline   (2) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks