Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2020, 17:35   #361
BHPian

Re: Keep or sell 2018 Swift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
If you are sure that you would not need it even when the things become normal(although we are living the new normal), then you can consider selling it as long as you are not losing too much on the resale. Basically, it should not be a distress sale.
Once things become normal (we receive the covid vaccine) I would have to move back to Bangalore since thats where my company is based and would definitely need a car there. The loss in resale is what I'm trying to minimize by selling the car now as compared to selling it when I want to switch to another car. Its not a distress sale to be honest, I'm thinking of selling it because the car is just sitting in the parking lot and depreciating in value while its absolutely not going to be used at all for the foreseeable future.
Old 11th July 2020, 18:32   #362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbolove View Post
Cons: I hate it for low seating position (more accurately my knees and back hate it) ..

Any suggestions here would be helpful.
Sell it for this reason alone, no mileage or savings compensate for health issues. Resale values in bangalore are good, compared to any other city. You can hold on until you are assured of the new car, whatever you buy. Personal transport is here to stay for a while.
avira_tk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 19:04   #363
BHPian

Quote:
The loss in resale is what I'm trying to minimize by selling the car now as compared to selling it when I want to switch to another car. Its not a distress sale to be honest, I'm thinking of selling it because the car is just sitting in the parking lot and depreciating in value while its absolutely not going to be used at all for the foreseeable future.
I was in a very similar / relatable situation 2 weeks ago and I had a thread here for the same reason - to get some advice from members. Iam much wiser today.

I now have a general rule of thumb. If I am getting a new car (after a lot of research and thought) and that too on a car loan (say 5 years), it's not a good idea to sell it for the first 6 years minimum, and if it's on a longer car loan tenure (say 7 years), it's not a good idea to sell it for 8-10 years minimum. It's the commitment I need to make to extract the most from the car on all aspects- financial, miles, fun and depreciation.

You have already mentioned that you you get a max of Rs 6 Lakh on a OTR price of about Rs 9 Lakh. A car depreciates the most within the first 3 years, and depending on the model, kms etc, it flattens gradually at 5/6/7 years. You will notice many cars do not have such a high price difference in the used car market between 6/7/8 years of its lifecycle. Add to this the interest paid on the loan.

My 2 cents: Do not give up the swift.

I am not sure if you have a car loan running which will complicate the decision further, but you are already losing quite a bit on the depreciation. Your running is also low and the car has got lots of life and punch left!

You also need a car once you get back to Bangalore. Lets say a year from now. You need to shell out X amount from your savings to become mobile again in Bangalore. Not worth the financial loss of all this. Hang on to the swift and sell it a few years down the line. The wallet will atleast thank you.

Last edited by sterlingsilver : 11th July 2020 at 19:26. Reason: Additional information
sterlingsilver is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 20:19   #364
BHPian

I think your case is straight forward, sell it. If it was a normal upgrade, I would have obviously said No. Since you are anticipating this car is likely going to sit idle and depreciate, it is a clear case of saving your asset value.

There is no hurry, the deal has to be fair. You may invest the money somewhere until you get back to Bangalore. Then you may choose to upgrade. Minimum is anyway guaranteed, you can get a similarly aged Swift AMT for the same price (or even lower price actually if we discount for insurance costs).

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 11th July 2020 at 20:21.
Thermodynamics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 20:33   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingsilver View Post
I now have a general rule of thumb. If I am getting a new car (after a lot of research and thought) and that too on a car loan (say 5 years), it's not a good idea to sell it for the first 6 years minimum, and if it's on a longer car loan tenure (say 7 years), it's not a good idea to sell it for 8-10 years minimum. It's the commitment I need to make to extract the most from the car on all aspects- financial, miles, fun and depreciation.
Thanks for the good insight. When I had bought the car I had intended to keep it for atleast 5 years (till the warranty was valid). I don't have any rule as such for how long should I keep a car given that this is my first car. Overtime as I used the car I learned to love things about and also hate things about it. Right now if I were given the choice to buy the same car again I'm not sure if I would.

There is no loan on the car so I thats one less complication and less money depreciated.

Yes, when I reach Bangalore (whenever that is) I will definitely need a car. Now here is kicker, we have 2 family cars in Mumbai and I can take one with me and dad would buy a replacement or alternately I could buy a new/used (higher segment) car once I'm in Bangalore that better suits me. Either way money is spent on acquiring a car roughly in the 10-15 lac range.

I'm also waiting on seeing what is the best offer I can get for the car here in Mumbai since my car has Bangalore plates. Maybe that figure will help me a bit too in making the decision.

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!

Last edited by Sheel : 11th July 2020 at 20:40. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 11th July 2020, 23:31   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,

I currently own a 2018 Swift VDI AMT which I bought when I started working in Bangalore in 2018. Until now its done just about 30k kms. a little while after buying the car I moved to Gurgaon for work.

Any suggestions here would be helpful.
Many members have given you the right advice to sell the car but one important info is missing here - Sorry if I have missed it. Where is the car registered?

If in KA, you will get a good value (what you have researched and are expecting) only in KA. If you will try to sell it in MH now, it won't fetch that much value. So if you do decide to sell it now, you will have to go to KA and sell it there.

Both these scenarios will reduce the money you will get back. So in this case it will be worth keeping the car for a while. Even if we don't get a vacine soon, I doubt companies will continue to do WFH for full year. Companies are doing this 100% WFH only because of the lock-downs being forced by governments. My company is also one such company.

Once these lock-downs are over, we will see companies getting back to office with reduced capacity on rotations (say 50% or so).

However, if the car is MH registered and you are selling in Mumbai, do sell it immediately and keep the money aside. The extra returns on it and the saved rent for WFH period will be helpful when you make your next purchase
Old 12th July 2020, 12:46   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
If in KA, you will get a good value (what you have researched and are expecting) only in KA. If you will try to sell it in MH now, it won't fetch that much value. So if you do decide to sell it now, you will have to go to KA and sell it there.

I doubt companies will continue to do WFH for full year. Companies are doing this 100% WFH only because of the lock-downs being forced by governments. My company is also one such company.
My car is registered in KA, but I'm trying to sell if off at home in Mumbai. The price is what I'm waiting and looking at. I posted an ad on 11/07 morning and have already had a couple of dealers call and come and see the car (dealers are surprisingly active even when the car market seems down). All of them brought buyers who will transport the car to KA and use it there.

About the WFH part, even my company has essential people coming into the office already in Bangalore. I work in a very small team and my particular role can be completely done online. But, you're right about companies wanting to call people into office, a 5 min face 2 face is way more efficient than 20 min on the phone.
Old 14th July 2020, 01:36   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My car is registered in KA, but I'm trying to sell if off at home in Mumbai. The price is what I'm waiting and looking at. I posted an ad on 11/07 morning and have already had a couple of dealers call and come and see the car (dealers are surprisingly active even when the car market seems down). All of them brought buyers who will transport the car to KA and use it there.
Just for the sake of peace of mind, I'd suggest you keep the car unless you are in urgent need for the money. We already have seen many examples here where the ownership transfer doesn't happen on time, during normal times. In the present situation, there is no guarantee that the new buyer would (or even could) transfer the car to their names until the pandemic is over. And you will also not be in a position to follow up and visit the RTO/Police in KA to ensure the transfer is done. Till that time, you are liable for anything involving the car since you are the registered owner.
Old 14th July 2020, 17:04   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Just for the sake of peace of mind, I'd suggest you keep the car unless you are in urgent need for the money. We already have seen many examples here where the ownership transfer doesn't happen on time, during normal times. In the present situation, there is no guarantee that the new buyer would (or even could) transfer the car to their names until the pandemic is over. And you will also not be in a position to follow up and visit the RTO/Police in KA to ensure the transfer is done. Till that time, you are liable for anything involving the car since you are the registered owner.
With the newly announced lockdown in Bangalore, this does seem to be a relevant issue, someone buying the car would also have trouble transporting it down there. The Cars24 people have put my car up on there website at a ridiculous price, lets see if it receives any bids. Since I'm in rush, I don't mind waiting it out.
Old 20th July 2020, 09:08   #370
BHPian

Re: The 'Garage dilemma' thread : Buy / sell / keep / shuffle my cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie_KL View Post
We have a peculiar situation and hope you can assist us with a decision.

We stay in Kerala and we have 3 cars in our family:
1. Wagon R Lxi 2008 BS III - Run 56,000km
2. Ford Fiesta Classic CLXI Petrol 2011 BS IV - Run 48,000km
3. Tata Safari Dicor LX 2012 BS IV - Run 1.2 lac km
An update on my above post. We were approached by someone (through a family contact) who was looking for a first car for his family to avoid public transport due to Covid. He came over and was quite impressed with our Wagon R. The price that was agreed on frankly too tempting for a 12 year old car and 2 weeks back we sold the Wagon R after all due paper work.

I was contemplating on the next steps to take when I happened to come across a 2016 Dec manufactured and 2017 Jan registered Ecosport Titanium MT petrol. It is a first owner car and has run only 13000 km. The odo is corroborated by the service records and the car is in excellent condition overall. I checked it thoroughly and had a good test drive. The 1.5 Ti VCT does feel a bit sluggish at low rpms but above 2000 rpm the car is enjoyable. The price quoted is 7.5 lacs. I am considering replacing the Fiesta (or maybe even the Safari) with the Ecosport. Wanted to get some feedback on my plan from BHPians and also looking for some information on the 1.5 Ti VCT engined Ecosport as these are relatively rarer. Cheers
robbie_KL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 11:41   #371
BHPian

Hi, I have a Jan 2020 Brezza ZDI AMT which hasn't covered a 1000 kms yet. Looking at the price of the new Brezza petrol, would I be able to sell this at a price higher than what I paid for (10.5 lakhs)? My running was fairly low even before the lockdown as I use my Celerio for the city. I might consider the Renault Kiger when it's launched or a used car at a similar price.
Old 21st July 2020, 17:11   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoker View Post
Hi, I have a Jan 2020 Brezza ZDI AMT which hasn't covered a 1000 kms yet. Looking at the price of the new Brezza petrol, would I be able to sell this at a price higher than what I paid for (10.5 lakhs)? My .
The answer to this question is simple - Absolutely No! A car depreciates an approximate 10% of its value as it rolls off the showroom floors. So, assuming your car is not on a loan, you might be able to sell it for a bit more than Rs. 9 Lakhs.

Also, with the oncoming of the BS6 Norms (the reason for the petrol engine), the BS4 vehicles have suffered more irrespective of the mileage on one of the cars.

Seeing the current situation and assuming your car is on loan, I'd recommend not selling the Brezza since it is practically brand new. However, if you are very keen on selling a car to make way for the new Kiger, sell the Celerio. It's older & must have done a lot more miles than the Brezza and is, therefore, the car to sell.
akash_v12 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 18:42   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie_KL View Post
2 weeks back we sold the Wagon R after all due paper work.

Wanted to get some feedback on my plan from BHPians and also looking for some information on the 1.5 Ti VCT engined Ecosport as these are relatively rarer. Cheers
Congratulations on selling the wagon-R.

With regards to selling one more of your car for bringing Ecosport in, I would advise to get rid of Safari. This holds true if -
1. You are fine with 2 petrol cars in your garage.
2. No sentimental value attached with Safari (people generally have one with Safari ).
3. You are happy with Ford service.

Safari is also the more used car and a logical one to go.

For the 1.5 Ti-VCT, I doubt if it has been in news for negative reasons. I test drove the Fiesta once with same engine and it was decent performer.
As per the data pointers shared by you, I would suggest go ahead.
abhi_tjet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 19:38   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
The answer to this question is simple - Absolutely No! A car depreciates an approximate 10% of its value as it rolls off the showroom floors. So, assuming your car is not on a loan, you might be able to sell it for a bit more than Rs. 9 Lakhs.
Thanks for the input! My brezza wasn't bought on a loan. I thought of this because I've seen Brezza's with more kms being sold for about 11 lakhs.
Old 9th October 2020, 18:25   #375
BHPian

I own a 2019, Vitara Brezza ZDI+ AGS, run 9000km, the experience with the car has been average. The built quality and the not so smooth AGS, can be lived with. The car was purchased in Oct 2019, when very few auto diesel options were available in the compact SUV range in Diesels.

Since the launch of new Sonet, there is an itch to sell the Brezza and go for the Diesel AT in Sonet.

I would like opinion to go for a Diesel AT Sonet in HTK+ Or hold onto Brezza ZDI+ AGS for few more years.

I don’t have any loan on the car...

(I am sure convincing my better half will be difficult task on this)

Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks