Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2020, 13:06   #346
BHPian

Re: Which car to sell?

You should add another option - Sell the dZire and the older City. Since you do not have enough running, one good car should suffice. You can use Uber for your occassional running. You will save on maintenance, insurance and depreciation.
Old 22nd June 2020, 13:21   #347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansal.sushant View Post
Thanks!
It'd be better if you could explain which car is used by whom in the current scenario.
Old 22nd June 2020, 13:43   #348
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sushant,

I’ll recommend you to sell the Dzire.
1. It’s old and even though cheap, will have to sold soon enough (NGT).
2. The City’s are reliable enough and more spacious than the Dzire and with them being just 10 & 6 years old respectively will serve you well.
3. Otherwise, you could also sell the Dzire and the Older City and buy a newer 5 or 7 Seater (Assuming you have a big family and want to buy a new car.)
Old 22nd June 2020, 21:28   #349
BHPian

Thanks for the responses everyone! Really helpful! I have decided to sell the Dzire, hopefully I'll get a satisfactory quote. Dealers are lowballing like crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
Since you do not have enough running, one good car should suffice.
Yeah I thought about this, but with COVID, parents being used to having cars at disposal, and most of our runs being for very short distances, it makes sense for us to retain at least 2 cars. However, I am planning to move to a smaller car when we make our next purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
It'd be better if you could explain which car is used by whom in the current scenario.
Ah, good point. Actually no such thing. 2014 City is used only for family outings, so either me or dad drive it. Rest 2 are used by all 3 of us, with no preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
Sell Dzire and add CNG to 2010 Honda City and make it your new beater car.
Actually a CNG can only be used with a specific car, it can be not be moved to another car AFAIK, at least not legally. Would have done this years ago if it was possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
3. Otherwise, you could also sell the Dzire and the Older City and buy a newer 5 or 7 Seater (Assuming you have a big family and want to buy a new car.)
Don't really have a big family, just the 4 of us, and in no mood to buy a new car (you can see our running :P). If govt. permitted, would have retained the 3 till they broke down.
bansal.sushant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 17:49   #350
BHPian

Re: The 'Garage dilemma' thread : Buy / sell / keep / shuffle my cars

We have a peculiar situation and hope you can assist us with a decision.

We stay in Kerala and we have 3 cars in our family:
1. Wagon R Lxi 2008 BS III - Run 56,000km
2. Ford Fiesta Classic CLXI Petrol 2011 BS IV - Run 48,000km
3. Tata Safari Dicor LX 2012 BS IV - Run 1.2 lac km

All 3 cars are in top shape. Part availability is not a problem for any of the 3 cars as of now. We service our cars at a trusted garage and not at a company service centre.

The Wagon R is mainly used by my dad for daily usage - shopping, travelling within short distances, small errands etc. My workplace is roughly 100 km (3 hours) from home and I visit home every weekend. I also drive to Chennai / Bangalore occasionally. Before Covid struck I used to alternate between the Safari and the Fiesta as I enjoy driving them both.

We would now like to keep only 2 cars and are in a quandary on which car to sell off. Should it be purely based on car age (Wagon R) or is there any other factor to consider? The Ford parts are relatively more expensive than the other cars but since the car is reliable and well taken care of the part replacement costs have been minimal. Will there be an issue sourcing parts for the Ford in the future and hence should we look to sell it off instead?
robbie_KL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 23:58   #351
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie_KL View Post

All 3 cars are in top shape. Part availability is not a problem for any of the 3 cars as of now. We service our cars at a trusted garage and not at a company service centre.

We would now like to keep only 2 cars and are in a quandary on which car to sell off.
Keep WagonR for doing errands, also ingress/egress is comfortable for elderly people in it over sedans and SUVs. Spares availability will not be a problem for few more years.

Keep Safari for the long trips, if its mileage of 1.2 lakh kilometers doesn't bother you. Once used to Safari/Scorpio duo, it is very tough to find an alternative/replacement to them in sub 25 lakh price range with the similar commanding seating position.

Sell off Fiesta
, no doubt it's a wonderful car, but it is relatively costlier to maintain over the other two and any day cannot be as nifty as WagonR.

Last edited by wheelguy : 3rd July 2020 at 00:01.
wheelguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 08:36   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Ideally, you should be selling off the WagonR due to it’s age and the soon-to-be done fitness test for the extension of registration. However, since your dad drives it around only in the city, you could keep it to be used as a city roundabout, Sell the Fiesta & like fellow bhpian wheelguy said, keep the Safari.

Alternatively, you could sell both the WagonR & Fiesta and buy a new hatchback which would stay in your family for a long time (that is only if you want to.)
akash_v12 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 09:10   #353
BHPian

Quote:

The Wagon R is mainly used by my dad for daily usage - shopping, travelling within short distances, small errands etc. My workplace is roughly 100 km (3 hours) from home and I visit home every weekend. I also drive to Chennai / Bangalore occasionally. Before Covid struck I used to alternate between the Safari and the Fiesta as I enjoy driving them both.

We would now like to keep only 2 cars and are in a quandary on which car to sell off. Should it be purely based on car age (Wagon R) or is there any other factor to consider? The Ford parts are relatively more expensive than the other cars but since the car is reliable and well taken care of the part replacement costs have been minimal. Will there be an issue sourcing parts for the Ford in the future and hence should we look to sell it off instead?
In my opinion, the Fiesta should surely be the one that is sold. There are three primary reasons for this:

1. Sale Value: Ford is slowly reshuffling its India portfolio. I remember there was also news about Ford entering into a JV with Mahindra, which has prompted speculation about their future India plans. Hence, this may cause the resale value of the Fiesta to drop further in the future if there are any negative announcements by the brand.
2. Cost of Parts: The WagonR is an entry level car and so it is fairly basic in terms of the mechanicals and features. The Ford on the other hand being a slightly more premium car, it may be relatively more expensive to replace any parts that fail due to age or general wear and tear. Additionally, the sales numbers for the Fiesta being much lower than the WagonR, it could be difficult/more expensive to source parts for the Fiesta in the future.
3. You surely have the Safari for the long trips. And the WagonR seems to be managing the role of the city runabout fairly well. So while your heart may be forcing you to keep the Fiesta, there does not seem to be a real need for it. Hence, if you plan to sell any of the cars, I feel it should be the Fiesta.

On another note, it seems like the Fiesta and WagonR have both run very low miles for their age. While I am frankly unaware of specific Ford maintenance costs, you should not be anticipating any major replacements for at least a few thousand kms. So given the recent situation, unless you absolutely have a strong reason for selling the cars, maybe you could also consider using them for a few more years and postpone this tough choice to the future ?
Yash98 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 10:16   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would go against the flow here and suggest you to sell the Safari. It has clocked decent mileage for its age (8 years) and it's a known fact that Dicors do not age well (based on years rather than kms).

Tata Safari, especially the Dicor, has a dedicated fanbase which none of your other cars have. As yours is in top shape, the key is to wait patiently for the right buyer instead of selling it to dealers.

Both the Waggie and Fiesta are fantastic in their own right. Clock up decent miles on them in the coming years and, if possible, alternate between the two for work commute if your Dad doesn't mind driving the Fiesta (it'll be easier in tight spaces than the Safari).

You can decide upon the next upgrade and whether to sell the WagonR or Fiesta in 2023, when the former is up for fitness renewal. Ideally the 12 year Ford should be the one to go at that time and you can consider something from the Creta/Seltos segment as a replacement.

Last edited by self_driven : 3rd July 2020 at 10:20.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 16:45   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Keep WagonR for doing errands,
Keep Safari for the long trips

Sell off Fiesta
Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
Sell the Fiesta & like fellow bhpian wheelguy said, keep the Safari.

Alternatively, you could sell both the WagonR & Fiesta and buy a new hatchback which would stay in your family for a long time (that is only if you want to.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yash98 View Post
In my opinion, the Fiesta should surely be the one that is sold. There are three primary reasons for this:

So given the recent situation, unless you absolutely have a strong reason for selling the cars, maybe you could also consider using them for a few more years and postpone this tough choice to the future ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
I would go against the flow here and suggest you to sell the Safari. It has clocked decent mileage for its age (8 years) and it's a known fact that Dicors do not age well (based on years rather than kms).
Thank you for your suggestions. As you can see its not a an easy choice. Its a battle between the heart vs the mind. As Wheelguy correctly said, once you get used to the commanding driving experience of the Safari, there is nothing in the current crop of cars that can match it under 20 - 25 lakhs. Add to it the tough as nails build and go anywhere nature. We relocated from Delhi to Kerala and I drove down the Safari all the way with some of the luggage and 2 dogs. It also came in handy when I had to shift my wives stuff from Bangalore to Kochi after marriage. That kind of utility is unmatched.

So that leaves the Ford and the Wagon R. I for one wanted my dad to give up the Wagon R considering its age approaching 15 years and light build compared to the Ford. Roads in Kerala are not the safest as most roads dont have dividers and people drive aggressively. Would it make more sense to sell them both and get a safe car like the Tiago / Altroz / Freestyle or Figo?
Old 3rd July 2020, 17:05   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Would it make more sense to sell them both and get a safe car like the Tiago / Altroz / Freestyle or Figo?
Yes! I believe selling your Fiesta & WagonR for a newer, safer car is the way to go in this case. Even though I've never been there, I've heard of the monstrosity of a challenge that Kerela's roads provide (potholes, narrow roads, speeding trucks etc.). For your dad too, a safer car will be like the Altroz or Tiago will be a much better buy considering he drives around the city.
akash_v12 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 16:35   #357
BHPian

Quote:

So that leaves the Ford and the Wagon R. I for one wanted my dad to give up the Wagon R considering its age approaching 15 years and light build compared to the Ford. Roads in Kerala are not the safest as most roads dont have dividers and people drive aggressively. Would it make more sense to sell them both and get a safe car like the Tiago / Altroz / Freestyle or Figo?
If you are comfortable with letting go your Ford, this would be the good option.

Alternatively, if your father is okay to drive Fiesta or Safari for daily errands, you can sell Wagon R.
Old 11th July 2020, 11:05   #358
BHPian

Keep or sell 2018 Swift.

Hi all,

I currently own a 2018 Swift VDI AMT which I bought when I started working in Bangalore in 2018. Until now its done just about 30k kms. a little while after buying the car I moved to Gurgaon for work. I was due to move back to Bangalore this year, but then coronavirus struck so I moved back home to Mumbai. I've been working remotely since March and it doesn't look like my company is going to call anyone back to the office in the next 6 months given how the cases are going up and even if a vaccine is proven, its gonna take quite sometime for it to reach us normal folks.

This got me and my dad talking about whether we should keep my Swift or sell it off. We already have 2 other cars here at home which aren't being used alot right now. I bought the Swift due to it being the cheapest auto diesel car in the market at that time. After two years here are its pros and cons for me:

Cons: I hate it for low seating position (more accurately my knees and back hate it) and the low ground clearance (curse gurgaon potholes).

Pros: I also love it for the crazy good mileage, in mumbai traffic I got 15, in my gurgaon commute I got 22-23 and on the highway I would very easily cross 25kmpl, I once averaged 31kmpl too while coming downhill from nainital to gurgaon, but that was some crazy hypermiling. The city friendly size was a boon in the narrow lanes in Bangalore.

I was planning on waiting for the Skoda Vision IN next year to switch my Swift.
I had bought the Swift all in for 8.95 lacs in 2018, a few online website told me to expect around 6-6.5 lacs now for it, don't know if thats good or bad value given that I could find alot of vdi amt's for sale where I live.

Any suggestions here would be helpful.
Turbolove is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 13:15   #359
BHPian

Re: Keep or sell 2018 Swift.

I believe selling it would be a viable option considering the future uncertainty.
Also, it could not provide you the comfort you are seeking for. Considering being a Maruti, you could easily get more resale value for the Swift.
KunalMadaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 14:42   #360
Senior - BHPian

Re: Keep or sell 2018 Swift.

If you are sure that you would not need it even when the things become normal(although we are living the new normal), then you can consider selling it as long as you are not losing too much on the resale. Basically, it should not be a distress sale.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks