Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2017, 20:32   #1
BHPian

Sold Ciaz - now confused between the City, Verna & Creta

Hi Friends

Please help me out to decide my next car. I have been driving cars since almost 20 years now . All(almost) of them Marutis . My previous ownership was

1996 Maruti 800 STD
2000 Maruti Zen LX
2008 Swift DDIS VDI
2010 Swift DDIS VDI
2016 Ciaz DDIS ZDI+

Current Ownership
Maruti Alto K10 Vxi(Wife)
Maruti Dzire 2017 ZDI AT(Brother)
Vw Polo Highline(Brother)

So, having used so many cars from Maruti, my last buy was a Ciaz ZDI+ which i drove for 1 year and 21k kms. My current drive is from Delhi to Gurgaon -35 kms one side. I was almost driving daily when i felt that it is too tiring to drive a car on this route. Also, somehow i did not like the steering feel of Ciaz.Sometimes i felt that is a little hard to be driven in heavy traffic(Probably, only my feeling). Sold it, and now looking for another car which should be an automatic plus good on ergonomics specially since i need to drive it myself 100% of the times on the busy route that i mentioned.

Cars short listed
Honda City V CVT
Honda City VX CVT(by a little bit of stretching my budget)
Hyundai Verna 1.6 CRDI EX AT
Hyundai Creta 1.4/1.6/Manual/AT(considering my budget)

Price range
8-13
Upto 15(Max Stretch)

Maintenance & After Sales Service (A.S.S.) expectations
Similar to MASS if not the same

Average distance traveled per month
2500 km

Where car will be mostly used (city / highway / rough roads etc)
80% City
20% Highway

Chauffer driven / self driven
Self

Whether the vehicle will be shared by other members of family
Only sometimes my wife may want to show it off to her friends

Any specific requirements from car (ex. Better luggage space, responsive engine, rear seat comfort)
-First and foremost requirement: It should be too comfortable to drive in the city with the AT box.I need a light steering specially since i have some pain in my neck these days.
-Second:I somehow liked that airy feeling that ciaz offered. That beige interiors, those wooden inserts, those leather seats, the touch screen,16 inch alloys all gave a sense of luxury.
-Also, i feel who ever sits inside the car, be it me or family should be comfortable. I have my senior citizen mom
-Last but not the least, it should not be dull or boring to drive on highways

How long you intend on keeping this car (and how important resale is to you)
Atleast 5 years. Resale should be good too.

My Confusion?
* I test drove all of the above mentioned cars. I liked the SUVishnes of the Creta, beige and airy feeling of the City and Sporty Nature of 1.6 D Verna
Though my inner feeling says, it should be the Creta, since it would be a change for me from the Ciaz that i had been using, i list down some of my observations below

Creta
What i liked
-SUVIshness feel
-That ground clearance may help on rough patches if i come across any
-The spaciousness as compared to Verna.
-1.6D Engine and its performance

but the negatives of this one i felt were
- Too expensive, the diesel AT would cost me 16 on road that too for the S version.
- To own one in my budget i may have to compromise with the AT and the 1.6 D and buy a lower variant with 1.4.(Missing too many features)
-Also, as mentioned in some of the reviews, i felt the lumbar support to be missing as compared to Verna and City.

Coming to Verna
What i liked
-The Sporty nature of the 1.6 D that it offers.
-New Design
-Diesel +AT

What i dont like
-The space inside the cabin. It feels as if am sitting inside almost a hatchback segment car. Less of beige and more of black interiors or probably it is 50/50. The rear seat may not be as comfortable for the family as others offer.

City
-That Spacious cabin with same beige interiors
-That light steering
-A premium feel
-Sunroof(if i go with VX)
-Bigger Boot

Dislikes or a few things that i am not sure about
- Not sure about this, but the light build quality that i read on the forum itself
- Petrol- May cost me a little more than the Diesel in monthly running
- Not Sure - Highway performance
-Can anyone confirm the mileadge on the same route if anyone is using it already.

Thank you
RaSing is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 21:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Sold Ciaz - now confused between the City, Verna & Creta

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaSing View Post
Any specific requirements from car (ex. Better luggage space, responsive engine, rear seat comfort)
-First and foremost requirement: It should be too comfortable to drive in the city with the AT box.I need a light steering specially since i have some pain in my neck these days.
-Second:I somehow liked that airy feeling that ciaz offered. That beige interiors, those wooden inserts, those leather seats, the touch screen,16 inch alloys all gave a sense of luxury.
-Also, i feel who ever sits inside the car, be it me or family should be comfortable. I have my senior citizen mom
-Last but not the least, it should not be dull or boring to drive on highways
The Renault Duster 110 RxZ AMT has all these - except the beige interiors, faux wood, leather seats and sense of luxury. My car returns 16+ mileage too on highway. It has a plush ride and you can drive it all day. Comes with 2+2 year warranty. But the Duster does not belong to 2017 and it's almost 2018...

The other option I can see is the S-Cross, but it's a sibling of Ciaz.

So that's it. Here's my take: Hyundai Verna.
sandeepmdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 21:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

Sold Ciaz. Confused between City,Verna and Creta

Looks like you have answered your questions.

At 2.5k KMs a month the City automatic is ruled out as it is Petrol.

You do not like the space in the Verna, so definitely ruled out. Personally felt it too tight at the rear, both head and leg room.

The last one standing is the Creta. You will like the steering in city traffic, automatic and the seating and ride height. Extend your budget and go for the SX+ automatic.

Resale prices on the Creta should be quite good over the next 5 years. It's a good, fuss free vehicle, go for it.

Though the Duster AMT is a good vehicle, it is too long in the tooth and would not recommend it to anyone at this point.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 6th October 2017 at 22:02.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 22:01   #4
BANNED

Looking at your needs,

I'll say save and get Creta SX+ AT. I know it is over your budget but still.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 23:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

I feel like the Verna fits your criteria the best.

It isn't as spacious as some other cars but if everyone is under 6ft tall it is a decently comfy car

Very easy to drive, Hyundai seems to be on the right track with its light & easy steering wheels as they have more or less gotten rid of the scary feeling at highspeeds by tweaking the suspension too.

Has lots of tech to keep you entertained

The 1.6 D is the best diesel engine this side of the premium segment and offers loads of refinement with more than enough midrange to make overtakes on the Highway effortless and fun
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 23:44   #6
BHPian

Verna has got a facelift most recently. But Creta is due for one next year. Hence if you are in a hurry , get Verna else wait for Creta s facelift. Same 1.6 engine in both is a gem - frugal , refined and powerful. Few engines come with this combination.
w8763 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 23:54   #7
BHPian

My suggestion would be out of the box but I guess you should consider the Jazz 1.2 CVT as well if you are a sedate driver.
1) It has a lot of space inside and feels airy.
2) The CVT is smooth and quite responsive until you don't slam the pedal. Should suit your usage given that you drive solo on a daily basis.
3) It's ASS is comparable to MASS.
4) You can spend on petrol given that it would cost you a lot lesser.
5) It has good steering feel.
6) It has paddle shifters that can add some fun when you want.

If you can stretch then Creta ticks all the boxes for you.

Last edited by Waspune : 6th October 2017 at 23:57.
Waspune is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 00:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
My suggestion would be out of the box but I guess you should consider the Jazz 1.2 CVT as well if you are a sedate driver.
I too endorse your recomendation. Jazz has good ergonomics as well. It is airy and smooth car with good space.

The resale may be little difficult. But considering the cost of the car and its strengths, it shall not be a dealbreaker.

And if you are considering Creta, then why not Brezza?
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 02:11   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post

And if you are considering Creta, then why not Brezza?

The OP is considering auto variants only as he needs to drive 70 kms on a daily basis. Moreover, the Brezza has the same engine as his ex-Ciaz.

Last edited by Waspune : 7th October 2017 at 02:12.
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 02:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

Verna AT too has a sunroof. I liked Verna best. Creta is good if you require an SUV.

My vote for Verna. In fact at 15.5L for top version diesel automatic, it is quite VFM. Duster at 2.2L more seems costly. No idea about Honda City.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 03:39   #11
BHPian

At your running, you are way into diesel territory. Verna should be the car to go for, unless, rear space becomes a deciding factor. In my experience (I am 6'2") I did find Verna to be adequate, though not roomy. It depends on the person in the backseat. If they are comfortable, that should make your decision.

Creta and Verna, to my recollection offered close to similar space. The space may feel less in Verna, due to sloping roofline. Hence, I would not recommend wasting a couple of lakhs on just bit of ground clearance.

If you do want to move from sedan territory, look at XUV500. It is and feels considerably bigger to drive. But you get a vehicle of completely different segment. Its costlier than Creta, but EMI difference should not be huge and XUV, being a successful SUV should hold on to its value well.

My final option to you, is the Dzire ZDI+ AMT. Sheer value. Saves you, 2.5 lakhs. should be cheaper to service, and the interiors have similar feel to your previously owned Ciaz ZDI+. The compact nature should further help in City.

Some people have recommended Jazz CVT for you. The only benefit, I see with the vehicle is that it is compact. Yes, the initial cost is less, but is it actually lower cost during lifetime? Let do some calculations. Verna 1.6D AT should give you around 15 kmpl in city traffic. At current rate of roughly 60Rs/litre for diesel, running cost comes to 4 Rs/km. Jazz 1.2P CVT should give you around 10 kmpl in city traffic. At current rates of roughly 70 Rs/litre for diesel, running cost comes to 7 Rs/km.

There is 3Rs/km difference in both of them. Therefore the difference would come to 0 in about 1 lakh km which you should cover in 4 years
autorahul is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 06:33   #12
BHPian

Hi sir,
I, personally would pickup the City VX CVT. But seeing the kind of running you do in a year means that the petrol that too an Automatic would be a fuel guzzler.

So, I would recommend you to rather look out for a diesel automatic SUVs. If you're interested, you can also take a look at the Mahindra XUV500 W6 AT which is roughly priced at a rate of 15-16 Lacs OTR and is a lot better than the Creta and the City or else even the Tata Hexa XMA is a good bet and even this is also in the same price vicinity of that of the XUV.

All the best for your future purchase,
Varun_HexaGuy
Varun_HexaGuy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 09:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
There is 3Rs/km difference in both of them. Therefore the difference would come to 0 in about 1 lakh km which you should cover in 4 years
The difference between Jazz V CVT and Verna D AT is almost 6 lakhs. He will need to cover 2 lakh KMs to coup up this 6 lakh rupees @3rs per km saving. Did I miss anything in your calculation?

Besides, him moving to sub 4m will be a downgrade, no?
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 10:00   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
The difference between Jazz V CVT and Verna D AT is almost 6 lakhs. He will need to cover 2 lakh KMs to coup up this 6 lakh rupees @3rs per km saving. Did I miss anything in your calculation?

Besides, him moving to sub 4m will be a downgrade, no?
I compared the comparable versions of Jazz and Verna i.e 1.2P V Privillege edition for Jazz priced at 8.42 lakhs and 1.6D EX AT for Verna priced at 11.67. Both prices ex-showroom Delhi.

Length is not necessarily a measure of downgrade in my opinion. If it suits the OP better, then why not? However in this case Jazz is not suitable in my opinion. Dzire ZDI_ AMT on the other hand is a different matter.
autorahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 14:22   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
I compared the comparable versions of Jazz and Verna i.e 1.2P V Privillege edition for Jazz priced at 8.42 lakhs and 1.6D EX AT for Verna priced at 11.67. Both prices ex-showroom Delhi.
11.6L is the cost of Hyundai Verna 2017 EX AT Petrol, which will give lesser mileage to 1.2 petrol engine of Jazz. He will never coup up the difference between the two.

I got excited seeing the cost of 1.6 diesel automatic to be just 11.6

EDIT: You mention ex showroom. I haven's searched for ex showroom prices, maybe you are right.

Last edited by ani_meher : 7th October 2017 at 14:28.
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks