Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2018, 17:29   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Is downgrading to a lower segment an option for my next car?

Dear jeepster_chd,

One thing I have learnt - Society will not pay your bills. Please don't buy a car for them. Buy a car for you. Upgrade or downgrade doesn't really matter. What matters is if you are happy with the car.

The top-end Tiago is an amazing car, no doubt about it. However, remember the Bolero itself is nothing short and hence fetching you this price. Both are different segments, and if you really cant live with the Bolero, the truck like rugged character (albeit with small niggles), and want a nice convenient car, go ahead with the Tiago. But, otherwise, stick to the Bolero till you are able to buy a car which makes you happy. Apart from the small stuff, the Bolero will hold on forever.
dhanushs is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 17:56   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Dear jeepster_chd,

if you really cant live with the Bolero, the truck like rugged character (albeit with small niggles), and want a nice convenient car, go ahead with the Tiago. But, otherwise, stick to the Bolero till you are able to buy a car which makes you happy. Apart from the small stuff, the Bolero will hold on forever.
In fact, it is the Bolero's truck like character I had fallen in love with and still love it. But niggles are something that I can't take them off my mind. It is always like what next

With one lac kilometers on the odometer, I do not want to get stranded on the highway with family. I may be sounding like someone over pessimistic but it is absolutely true that you cannot predict what surprise she is going to throw.

One thing that has stood like a wall during all the these years and kept this relation going is the exceptional Mahindra service. May be because I visit them so frequently that I have befriended everyone from security to staff, mechanics to guys who wash the car
jeepster_chd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 18:24   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post

Speaking from my own personal experience, the Revetron 1.2 Ltr engine has been consistently giving me FE in the range of 12-14 kmpl in city traffic, that too being an AMT gearbox. New age TATA petrol cars have come a long way since the days of Indica and its time to let go of our apprehensions.
Is that the fuel consumption as shown by the MID or is it by the tank full to tank full method?

What I'm getting (10 - 11, as quoted above) is by the tank full method although the MID shows 12+. The difference consistently appears to about 2 km/l. My usage is 100% city centre, 90% AC.

For what is worth, I suspect that many people over-estimate what their car's fuel consumption really is because they don't follow a consistent method (always fill tank full, always note down odometer, etc.). So I always take claims of 14 to 15 km/l in a petrol car, in a crowded city with a heavy pinch of salt. We had an 800 that usually gave us 15 km/l with normal driving in Bangalore, 20 years ago, when the city was far less crowded.

15 km/l in city in a petrol car? Possible but highly unlikely.
Motard_Blr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 20:37   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting, always love a question where a financial dilemma is in the mix.. because it makes reasoning and decision making that much easier.

If you sell and upgrade, these are the advantages :

- You get maximum/better resale value now than you would a year or two later
- You get to enjoy a new car today (quicker gratification)
- Enjoying depreciation benefits for tax (the least discussed financial advantage of owning a car.. both our previous cars when combined with resale value, worked out to almost free, the initial acquisition cost i.e)
- A newer product today will fetch better resale later on
- Reliable, fuss free ownership of modern cars

Some possible disadvantages will be :
- High insurance premiums (daylight loot it is) for a new car
- Higher service costs

I think the advantages are heavily tilted against disadvantages when it comes to buying a new car.. you got the green signal. Few things to keep in mind when buying a car where financial prudence is required are :

- Buy a car/brand with high resale value
- Stretch as much as possible financially because a great one time buy can prevent an unsatisfactory 2 time buy - make sure the requirements of space/power/refinement/resale are met or exceeded 100%.
- Make sure the law of diminishing returns also doesn't kick in atleast until 5-6 years of car ownership
- Keeping in mind point 1 as above, also buy the brand/car you like or prefer.. the rest is no one else's business as long as you consider a change an upgrade.
dark.knight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 21:00   #20
BHPian

I would suggest a pre owned Sedan. Preferably from Maruti or Hyundai stable. Preowned,post warranty these brands are reasonable in my experience. Resale would be better too.
Your usage demands a diesel.
A used Verna seems like a viable option. A 2012 model. Say for 4.5 lakhs. Another 50k to 70k for suspension overhaul, tires,battery. The car will be in a beautiful condition. Might not be difficult to find a well maintained one. Scout for one being sold by the owner not a dealer.
An used hatch might give a downgrade feel.
A competent FNG will help you keep it in great shape.
greendream is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 21:11   #21
BHPian

Since you love the Bolero for its truck genes, i think you should replace it with another truck. Instead of a car, the Tiago why not get any SUV or SUV like car, viz the Brezza, Creta, S-cross or Duster say even in preowned guise ? Or even a Thar or Scorpio. These would be kind of closer cousins of your Bolero.
rxpaul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2018, 09:58   #22
Senior - BHPian

Re: Is downgrading to a lower segment an option for my next car?

From my experience - what you have decided makes absolute sense.

Car is a depreciating asset. Hence I believe, it is logical to not over spend on such assets and buy what is required.

My first 2 cars were pre-owned. Esteem and then the first-gen Honda City. Hence while it was an upgrade from Esteem to Honda City, after the City, when I decided to go for a new car - conventional thinking would have taken me into that "upgrade" argument and I would have blown off cash on some C segment sedan atleast which at that time was in the 10-12 L budget. But I decided to start all over again and bought a humble i10 instead of stretching my budget.

If you are open to PRE-OWNED then you could get some nice options in the budget of a new Tiago

Last edited by Aditya : 14th March 2018 at 17:49. Reason: Please do not use acronyms
narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2018, 10:02   #23
BHPian

Re: Is downgrading to a lower segment an option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Interesting, always love a question where a financial dilemma is in the mix.. because it makes reasoning and decision making that much easier.

- Buy a car/brand with high resale value

- Stretch as much as possible financially because a great one time buy can prevent an unsatisfactory 2 time buy - make sure the requirements of space/power/refinement/resale are met or exceeded 100%.
I have read, reread your reply multiple times since last night. Every point you have made makes a lot of sense. Thank you for putting in the effort.

Buying a brand with high resale implies buying a Maruti or a Hyundai. Maruti is too basic and Hyundai gives less value for money owing to its premium perception. This is what I believe. But what you have said is also absolutely true. Financial prudence is required. This time I will try not let heart take over my mind.

Regarding space/power/refinement/resale, you have gotten me thinking. And that is the good thing about our forum - shared wisdom. Tiago meets almost all of these requirements except one i.e. resale. And it is something that is going to haunt latter.

As other members are suggesting I may have to start looking for a good used car. But the pain and effort that goes into it is something I do not want to get into. Hence, if I am able to sell Bolero at a good price, I will try to go for a new car.
jeepster_chd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2018, 10:25   #24
BHPian

You might consider the ignis delta petrol at that price bracket. It does look Quirky but you get basic safety stuff along with some creature comforts. Has the best petrol engine in that price bracket.

You can also have a look at ambiente abs or trend versions of the Diesel Figo.

Yes the Tiago is the best vfm but I feel the engine loses its steam quite a bit with ac on. It should be ok if you are a sedate driver.

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 14th March 2018 at 10:27.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2018, 10:30   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Is downgrading to a lower segment an option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster_chd View Post
Regarding space/power/refinement/resale, you have gotten me thinking. And that is the good thing about our forum - shared wisdom. Tiago meets almost all of these requirements except one i.e. resale. And it is something that is going to haunt latter.
I would like to add one point here. I see that you held on to the Bolero for good six years. If you are planning to own this new/pre-owned car for long term, resale might not make a huge difference. You can do some research on Olx regarding the resale price after 5-6 years, of the models which you are planning to buy. Also figure the total cost of ownership (service and spares cost) if you are planning a long term ownership.

Just my two cents.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2018, 13:42   #26
BHPian

As many have said, downgrading / upgrading does not matter. It is the requirement, and how much we can afford matters in these types of situations. Since you mention, you are on a tight budget, instead of looking exactly to replace a new car with what you get by selling the Bolero i.e., approx 4.5L as per your calculation, i would suggest use this 4.5L as your major portion of the down payment and take a 7 year loan for another 2.5L (approx 3.8k emi) and go for a car which will hold good for the next 7 years.

for 7L total, if you are willing to cut down on some features and pick a variant with required minimum safety and other parameters, I am sure you can get a good car in today's crowded market place.

I do not know about Tiago, seems to be a great car, but since there are apprehensions on the resale value, play your game a little higher on a car which has all the qualities and better resale as well.

Personally, I will NOT look at a resale value if I would want to hold a car for 5-7 years, as at that time, it may not really matter and would be a question of few thousands. But what i will look at, is the comfort, safety and convenience & joy that car is going to give me for the period I own. This is my take. Happy Hunting !

Since you are not very keen on USED, i am not giving many options, but can't resist in giving you an option of looking a Toyota Corolla Altis in the region of 6L, with less mileage and you can enjoy the car for another 5 years without much hassles. I will tick many boxes for you.

Swami

Last edited by swami69 : 14th March 2018 at 13:46. Reason: added a point
Old 14th March 2018, 15:38   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
Since you are not very keen on USED, i am not giving many options, but can't resist in giving you an option of looking a Toyota Corolla Altis in the region of 6L, with less mileage and you can enjoy the car for another 5 years without much hassles. I will tick many boxes for you.
Swami
This one is indeed a tempting option. Thanks for sharing. However, what according to you is less mileage (for a Corolla). Just trying to get an idea.
Old 14th March 2018, 15:52   #28
BHPian

Glad that you liked that idea.

I would look for a 2012/13 Corolla Altis, well maintained with around 50-60K Kms for approx 6L +/-. For a Corolla, 50-60K Kms is nothing and it is a wonderful car and the ASS is absolutely fantastic and the spares are reasonable as well. (i had a 12 yr old 90K Kms run car and it ran like a dream with minimal problems). There is a good possibility that you will get single owner in the Altis category as most of them are descently maintained and does not change hands too often.

Note : even it is 70K kms at that price, there should be no problem if everything is in order and has life when you check it.

Good luck.

Swami

Quote:
This one is indeed a tempting option. Thanks for sharing. However, what according to you is less mileage (for a Corolla). Just trying to get an idea.
swami69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2018, 15:57   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
Glad that you liked that idea.

I would look for a 2012/13 Corolla Altis, well maintained with around 50-60K Kms for approx 6L +/-. For a Corolla, 50-60K Kms is nothing and it is a wonderful car and the ASS is absolutely fantastic and the spares are reasonable as well. (i had a 12 yr old 90K Kms run car and it ran like a dream with minimal problems). There is a good possibility that you will get single owner in the Altis category as most of them are descently maintained and does not change hands too often.

Note : even it is 70K kms at that price, there should be no problem if everything is in order and has life when you check it.

Good luck.

Swami
That is a valuable peace of information and a good starting point for me. Much thanks

Lastly, should I go for petrol or diesel or it doesn't matter.

Last edited by jeepster_chd : 14th March 2018 at 15:59.
Old 14th March 2018, 16:20   #30
BHPian

Honestly, when you go for a 5/6 year old car, a petrol would be better and i got around 11-12 kms/litre with my old Corolla Petrol and the added advantage would be, the upfront price would be cheaper as well and probably within your budget, nicer/quieter car.

Nothing against Corolla Diesel and I have not driven it, just my opinion though !

Swami

Quote:
That is a valuable peace of information and a good starting point for me. Much thanks

Lastly, should I go for petrol or diesel or it doesn't matter.
swami69 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks