Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2018, 22:56   #31
BHPian

Re: Is downgrading to a lower segment an option for my next car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster_chd View Post

Lastly, should I go for petrol or diesel or it doesn't matter.
For your usage diesel is preferable. You are doing a healthy 15000 km and more per annum.
As I said earlier used sedan will be a great option for you.
The Toyota Corolla Altis diesel will give a premium feel coming from a Bolero.
The Engine is great for point A to B commute. The response below 2k rpm is sufficient for sedate driving.
The fuel economy is very good. The space is enormous at the rear.
Came across one in Hyderabad with 1 lakh km on the odo (2012 model). My friend who was buying felt it’s on the higher side. But, the engine was brilliant for the age.The owner would agree for 5.25 lakhs. I will say another 60k for suspension and other repairs. 6 lakhs for a car from that segment is a good buy. Good ASC backup is another asset.
Hope this information helps.
Old 15th March 2018, 23:52   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendream View Post
Came across one in Hyderabad with 1 lakh km on the odo (2012 model). My friend who was buying felt it’s on the higher side. But, the engine was brilliant for the age.The owner would agree for 5.25 lakhs. I will say another 60k for suspension and other repairs. 6 lakhs for a car from that segment is a good buy. Good ASC backup is another asset.
Hope this information helps.
Indeed! This information is valuable. I am really grateful to everyone here helping me take the right decision.

As I said in my opening post that money is a constraint. Keeping this in mind and considering Swami sir's advise, I spent a good amount of time researching Olx today and yesterday. Etios is another car from Toyota's stable that offers class leading space, comfort and reliability. I found a number of Etios petrol 2012 - 13 model with around 50k-60k mileage in the range of 3 to 4.5 lacs. What's your take on it? Is Etios an equally good bet as Altis? Other BHPians also please feel free to contribute. Your opinion matters a lot
Old 16th March 2018, 01:46   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Etios is another car from Toyota's stable that offers class leading space, comfort and reliability. I found a number of Etios petrol 2012 - 13 model with around 50k-60k mileage in the range of 3 to 4.5 lacs. What's your take on it? Is Etios an equally good bet as Altis?
You cannot compare the two.They are from different categories.
First, be clear about your budget. Then decide whether you want a petrol or diesel.
The Diesel engine is the same in both the cars. Etios gives better fuel efficiency because of lesser weight.
The Owner ship cost will be lesser too in a Etios. Corolla is a executive sedan,please don’t forget that.
The Etios petrol is a very very competent car. There are glowing reviews on this forum for its VFM nature.
If Budget permits Altis or else an Etios.
Which ever you choose ,bring it up to top shape addressing all the repairs and doing preventive maintenance. Factor these costs too upfront.
greendream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2018, 08:41   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

I am a little surprised that you would give up on your Bolero because of niggles and then buy a pre owned car. Buying pre owned is always risky- and even with reliable brands like Toyota may be a gamble. Could you be stepping from the frying pan into the fire? I would recommend buying a new car - preferably from a reliable brand like Maruti, Hyundai or Honda. Not sure if it fits your budget - but I would wait till I could afford it rather than gamble on pre owned if I had a low appetite for niggles in cars. I would move away from this advice only if I found a car with a known service history and at least 2 years of available extended warranty

Last edited by Hayek : 16th March 2018 at 08:42.
Hayek is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2018, 08:59   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are right when you say it has life left but what I fear is that it is loosing value fast and won't be worth much a year or so from now.
You always lose more on a new car in terms of depreciation than a used one. Your Bolero's value will not drop as fast as you think. I suggest you keep it if you are confident in its mechanical condition, even if that means some preventive maintenance (typically much cheaper than swapping cars).

If you are still set on changing cars, then you have many options as pointed out in both the new and used car market.
Old 16th March 2018, 09:03   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Little Background

Had you been in a similar situation what you would have done?
What’s your take on the situation?
[/u][/i]
There are several situations where you may "upgrade" to a lower-segment car:
  • Age: A bunch of us 20-somethings used to drive Accents and Lancers to work while our super-boss, who was nearing retirement age, drove a Santro. He claimed it was the only car he was comfortable driving and parking in Bangalore traffic.
  • Preference: You get premium features in hatchbacks these days that used to be earlier reserved for top-end marquee brands: keyless entry/go, navigation, ventialted seats and what not. Why pay a bomb for a juggernaut when you can made do with a sleek compact option?
  • Budget: I don't think there is any shame in limiting what you spend based on your current liquidity situation. There are times in your life when you just cannot afford to spend. It's your business and maybe you can indulge when your stars have aligned better. Spend proud!
noopster is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th March 2018, 09:33   #37
BHPian

The most important thing to remember is: priorities. A stressful materialist upgrade is the most senseless thing to do, IMHO.

Just make sure that the car you select fulfils your transportation needs and is reliable.

Would not suggest you to go for used ones. As from your post it seems you are fed up with niggling issues and hence it makes more sense to go for a new one.

Tiago is a good choice as it is a fresh design and we haven't heard too many issues.
Old 16th March 2018, 10:30   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
but I would wait till I could afford it rather than gamble on pre owned if I had a low appetite for niggles in cars. I would move away from this advice only if I found a car with a known service history and at least 2 years of available extended warranty
Most of my weekends during the last six years (comes out to be almost 2 year?) have been spent at a dealership either addressing a new issue or an existing one. You still think I have a small appetite.

Yes, I am too skeptic about buying a used car but as you see I have been forced to look for options, used and new, alike. I was on Toyota Trust website few moments ago looking for a certified option with warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
You always lose more on a new car in terms of depreciation than a used one. Your Bolero's value will not drop as fast as you think. I suggest you keep it if you are confident in its mechanical condition, even if that means some preventive maintenance (typically much cheaper than swapping cars).
Bolero is in good shape but there a couple of things that would need my attention this weekend. I hope you understand what I mean. This has become a routine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
It's your business and maybe you can indulge when your stars have aligned better. Spend proud![/list]
It is not like that a new car bug has bitten me, because if it would have I would have definitely planned for it. It is just that I need something to replace my niggling Bolero.

I am looking for a point A to B commuter that is reliable (most important), spacious, comfortable, VFM and economical to maintain. Gizmos are good to have but not something I can't live without.

I too had my share of fun with cars in twenties and then with my truck. But now want some peace of my mind. I know I am not sounding like a enthusiast now but it is true that at the end of the day you want peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
The most important thing to remember is: priorities. A stressful materialist upgrade is the most senseless thing to do, IMHO.
jeepster_chd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2018, 10:41   #39
BHPian

I read through your opening post. You are tight on budget and want to buy a new car but it seems that you are thinking about the perception of moving from a bigger car (Bolero) to a smaller car (any hatchback). First of all, please remove any kind of negative thoughts from your mind about ‘downgrading’ your car status. You need to fix a hard budget depending on your future liabilities and please be very conservative in fixing your budget – I say this because it seems that you have some important expenditures coming up. If you are getting 4-5lakh for your Bolero, look at Wagon R, Celerio. I would suggest you to buy a cheaper/smaller car and sleep peacefully at night rather than buy a sedan and worry all the time about how will you meet your future expenditures.
Saanil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2018, 12:25   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
[b]What’s your take on the situation?
Firstly, don’t take the move from a Bolero to a nice-to-drive hatchback as a downgrade; it actually can be an upgrade. And I think you will find quite a bit of used upgrade options in the 5 lakh vicinity – say something like a Polo GT TDI or a Ford Ecosport / Figo.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2018, 13:02   #41
Senior - BHPian

As a 2 month old Tiago owner I will seriously suggest you are making a right choice by going for it. Its a fuss free car for now and as a daily commuter is excellent in most aspects. We got Tiago in place of our Manza. From outside it looks like a downgrade but in the matter of car quality, features, ease of drive etc it's a definite upgrade.
Personally, I never opt for pre owned. No matter how good service history etc is for the car, I just can't rely on it to be reliable in the long run. Buy in your budget, but go for a new one. At least 5 years will be stress free with all warranties etc.
harry10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2018, 13:52   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Indeed! This information is valuable. I am really grateful to everyone here helping me take the right decision.

As I said in my opening post that money is a constraint. Keeping this in mind and considering Swami sir's advise, I spent a good amount of time researching Olx today and yesterday. Etios is another car from Toyota's stable that offers class leading space, comfort and reliability. I found a number of Etios petrol 2012 - 13 model with around 50k-60k mileage in the range of 3 to 4.5 lacs. What's your take on it? Is Etios an equally good bet as Altis? Other BHPians also please feel free to contribute. Your opinion matters a lot
I can add little value here; hope it helps in some way.

Between the Etios and the Corolla, one major difference would be the cost of spares if and when something goes wrong. Corolla spares are going to be much more expensive than those of Etios and any other similar C segment car. This shouldn't come as a surprise to you later.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2018, 20:02   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Etios is another car from Toyota's stable that offers class leading space, comfort and reliability. I found a number of Etios petrol 2012 - 13 model with around 50k-60k mileage in the range of 3 to 4.5 lacs. What's your take on it? Is Etios an equally good bet as Altis? Other BHPians also please feel free to contribute. Your opinion matters a lot
While I haven't yet driven the Corolla, recently I got to drive an Etios Diesel. It is owned by one of my relatives & has done around 110k km on the odometer. The drive was quite brilliant, if I hadn't looked at the odometer there was no way I could tell that she had done over 100k km. Upon asking about the maintenance costs, I was told that she is still on original clutch & suspension, only the brake pads have been replaced twice. So, I would say if you find a well maintained Etios (both petrol & diesel) with full service history, do consider it.

To answer your original question, I would say changing from Bolero to a Tiago won't be a downgrade. I have traveled in quite a few Boleros & the Bolero seemed quite outdated to me. On the other hand the Tiago is a brilliant small car from TATA, even the mileage my cousin is getting from his petrol Tiago is pretty good.

Last edited by chiranjitp : 16th March 2018 at 20:04.
chiranjitp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2018, 08:02   #44
BHPian

Came across an Etios on Olx. It is a May 2011 model driven little over 20000 kms. The owner lives nearby, will be going today to his place to check the car in person.

https://www.olx.in/item/toyota-etios...-ID1iKsLL.html

However, isn't the mileage too less for the age? Are there any specific signs I should be specifically looking for?

He is saying he has two cars and this one is driven sparingly.

The owner wants 4.25 lacs for it saying the car is in top condition.

The good thing is that it is a V model complete with 2 airbags and ABS and EBD.

Any inputs?
Old 17th March 2018, 08:31   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Came across an Etios on Olx. It is a May 2011 model driven little over 20000 kms. The owner lives nearby, will be going today to his place to check the car in person.
Nothing beats Corrola if you are going the pre-owned route. I still have one from 2003 with over 3 Lac km It will start every single time even if parked for months. You can easily get a Petrol Corrola in this budget. Etios is built to cost, it's half as expensive as Corolla when bought new, you should try to find out a maintained Corolla. If you have to buy an Etios, look for Diesel, that will have better resale if and when you want to switch and has a better driveability also. This Petrol looks too expensive considering it is 7 years old, I don't think this should be more than 2-2,5 Lac.

Last edited by Turbanator : 17th March 2018 at 08:35.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks