Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2019, 11:05   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The quietest petrol automatic car around 10 lakhs

My vote is for the Polo GT TSI. When driven in a normal way in D mode the NVH is excellent.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 11:35   #32

I would suggest two options that I think would be feasible as a middle-class family that I belong to.
  • Hyundai I20
    If you are a sedate driver with the main objective to have a decent family space in the car and also some good NVH levels than prefer this car. I own this car but manual. All I can say is you get a good enough mileage if you drive sedately enough(a lot of enough are put intentionally here)
  • Ford Figo 1.5 Automatic
    If you like to have some fun over the twisties then this is the car for you. Though it is not an absolute corner carver, it is much better than I20. And it has a decent punch with its 1.5 petrol engine. Between this and Polo 1.2 TSI, I would select Figo as you get a bigger engine and the price difference is too much. It's like having a Dominar or KTM duke 390. YOu will understand if you are into bikes

Build quality of both these cars is good and have good NVH levels. Road noise is something which is still present there but at an acceptable level.
MPBNKA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 12:07   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
If it is hatchback, i would suggest you give the Japanese a miss. Focus on Polo 1.2 TSI or Ford Figo petrol AT.

If it is sedan try Vento 1.2 TSI.
I second this. I know its a bit of stretch. But, when your thinking of keeping it for next 5-7 yrs, I think its worth it.
shashi792 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 12:08   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker View Post

3. For additional sound deadening, you can get under-body coating done and acoustic damping done. I don't recommend under-body coating as a water protection measure (at least in Bangalore) but they have a tremendous effect in reducing road noise.
Have you tried under body coating and felt a drop in road noise? If yes was it 3M coating and which car?

I plan to get under body coating on my A-Star to reduce road noise and your inputs will help.
Old 6th December 2019, 12:19   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
Have you tried under body coating and felt a drop in road noise? If yes was it 3M coating and which car?

I plan to get under body coating on my A-Star to reduce road noise and your inputs will help.
I had got it done on my previous car.

Car : Indigo Manza Quadrajet
Year : 2010
Under-body coating by Wurth

I have since sold this car. From what I remember the coating was really thick and not just a paint job. I guess the thickness was what cut down the noise.
BeantownThinker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 12:31   #36
BHPian

My suggestion would be to buy a car that ticks all your boxes, without focussing on NVH.

Once you have the car, get the floor (optional) and the doors damped. This shouldn't cost more than 15k.

This way you're getting the low NVH - without compromising other aspects.
KaranP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 12:38   #37
BHPian

Consider Polo. You can easily keep it for an other 10 years.
1. Awesome build.
2. Ride quality is very good.
3. NHV levels are very well managed.
4. Good resale value.
Swajith is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 13:15   #38
BHPian

Quote:

It does help but not as much as getting car damped as i have done both on my car. Recently got a underbody coating in my car for protection from rust and felt it to be very quiet even at 80 kmph which earlier was much noisier with road and tire noise creeping in. Almost all coatings are similar with a tar like spray done. 3M should be good to go. Go for underbody first and then get damping in doors and floorboard and hatch door for a super quiet cabin. Should cost under 20k.
Mr. Nobody is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 13:38   #39
BHPian

Quote:

I had done the under body coating (3M, but do not remember the exact product now) as well as dampening for 1st Gen Swift Diesel. After that cabin was significantly quieter and road noise at speeds also became much better.

If it works on a diesel engine car, sure dampening and under body coating will work on petrol engine car.

I have a friend who moved from Maruti Alto to Honda Jazz CVT and felt what difference noise insulation can make. His blood pressure was getting better.

If Honda Brio AT (Torque converter) was still available for purchase, I would recommend that. Mine is now 4 years old with absolutely quite cabin. Fun to drive is additional benefit. Bangalore bumper to bumper traffic fuel economy is 10-11 kmpl with AC always ON.
CarJunki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 13:39   #40
BHPian

Considering that you are planning to do 3 or more long drives yearly I would suggest you look for a safe car with adequate power and torque.

I would recommend the Ecosport AT if you can stretch your budget. It has a gem of an engine gearbox combo. Very good low rpm torque with enough power for extended highway cruising for 2 people with luggage. And very easy to drive in the city.
sridhar-v is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 14:20   #41
BHPian

Hyundais are the way to go , I test drove Verna petrol AT and manual multiple times and I was amazed at the levels of NVH inside the car. So much so that, I had mistakenly pressed my right foot on the accelerator while shuffling around the car in idle and I didn't notice that until I saw the tachometer needle climbing.

And since the God ugly facelift is on the way, I'm sure you can snag some good deals on the current gen Verna. I was offered to the tune of 70K in chennai 2 months ago.

Cheers
TDCi'd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 14:33   #42
BHPian

When you are looking for both a weekday and weekend car, what more than a GT TSI.. IMO its got a well insulated cocoon feeling inside because of the tightness in the build, its a safe and a great car for the highway too. You might not get bored of it after 5-6 years as it will still last a few more years in terms of durability and this will offset the extra stretch in budget now.
EuroMachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 16:04   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
There is only one car that satisfies these criteria - the Polo GT TSi.

if you are worried about the DSG failure issue, then VW now offers 7 years warranty on the car. But that gearbox, while being convenient for you wife during the weekdays, will plaster a stupid smile across your face during the weekends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Yes I totally agree with Sam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroMachine View Post
When you are looking for both a weekday and weekend car, what more than a GT TSI..
This will be test-driven for sure. My neighbour has it and I'm gonna take it for a spin tomorrow or day after. He couldn't wait for me to go for Polo too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBNKA View Post
I would select Figo as you get a bigger engine and the price difference is too much. It's like having a Dominar or KTM duke 390. YOu will understand if you are into bikes
This Figo 1.5 has been reviewed so well. Also, i've heard great things about the AT on this. I was hoping i'd get more recommendations for this one.

And I get the analogy you're drawing with the bikes.
(OT, I booked me a KTM Adventure 390. Waiting for its glimpses from IBW, right now. Constantly refreshing.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDCi'd View Post
And since the God ugly facelift is on the way, I'm sure you can snag some good deals on the current gen Verna. I was offered to the tune of 70K in chennai 2 months ago.
Verna SX AT starts at 14+ in Bangalore. Way out of my budget. Sorry folks, who've suggested other over-budget cars like Seltos, Creta, Vento, Ecosport etc. Will definitely check out Hyundais in my marginally flexible budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I would suggest picking a car based on factors other than it being the "quietest".......P.S. Next-gen i20 is coming in 2020!
Got it, GTO. I wrote this post right after my wife's rant about being stuck in traffic for so long. I'm sure this forum will not suggest an underpowered, unsafe, inefficient car at all. Also, when is the 2020 i20 getting launched?

Looking forward to this auto window-shopping weekend.
creative420 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 17:25   #44
BHPian

Was in similar situation few months back and I am very happy with my decision to go for Polo GT TSI.

There is no comparison of this mean machine and I thought only we (so called enthusiast) only understand this. But I was wrong my wife after driving Polo instantly fell in love with the DSG gear box. This is her first car and she enjoys driving it everyday to office approx (50 kms a day) in Delhi to Gurgaon traffic. The fuel economy stands at 10-12 kmpl in peak city traffic as per MID. With 7 years warranty we already have a peace of mind regarding the notorious DSG. So far no issues in last 8 months of ownership and car has clocked approx 15k kilometers already. It is solely driven by her and easy to maneuver it in city, markets, malls etc.

Refer below thread for more details:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-...ml#post4536571 (Which car for the better half?)
roby_dk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 18:52   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBNKA View Post
I would suggest two options that I think would be feasible as a middle-class family that I belong to.
  • Hyundai I20
    If you are a sedate driver with the main objective to have a decent family space in the car and also some good NVH levels than prefer this car. I own this car but manual. All I can say is you get a good enough mileage if you drive sedately enough(a lot of enough are put intentionally here)
  • Ford Figo 1.5 Automatic
    If you like to have some fun over the twisties then this is the car for you. Though it is not an absolute corner carver, it is much better than I20. And it has a decent punch with its 1.5 petrol engine. Between this and Polo 1.2 TSI, I would select Figo as you get a bigger engine and the price difference is too much. It's like having a Dominar or KTM duke 390. YOu will understand if you are into bikes

Build quality of both these cars is good and have good NVH levels. Road noise is something which is still present there but at an acceptable level.
I found the i20 to be surprisingly short on under thigh support at the rear. Besides, its steering on the highway was underwhelming and the ride was jittery. This coming from an i10 owner.

The Figo 1.5 TDCi is a bit noisy and unrefined, but it pulls all the way to 175+ with little to no drama. Probably one of the few cars south of 15 lakhs that reaches its top speed in such a manner. However, the plastics on the doorpads were attly and the front seat had really uncomfortable middle back bolstering.

Verdict- the two competitors mentioned above are pole opposites. If you want a decent family hatch that is feature loaded and premium, go for the i20. However, if you're more of a boy racer, choose the Figo. Both feature six airbags on their top models, but I place my money on the Figo.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks