Team-BHP > What Car?

Old 22nd March 2020, 14:26   #76
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My 1st Automatic Car - Budget 11 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anirudh_sai View Post
The problem with the BS6 Brezza is that it has a 4 speed gearbox which is ancient and might feel out of its breath on the highway.
The Suzuki auto gearbox's 4th gear's ratio is actually taller than the 5th gear's ratio. If the 4 speed has any problems, highway cruisability isn't one of them.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post3817768 (Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga)
locusjag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2020, 14:33   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
The Suzuki auto gearbox's 4th gear's ratio is actually taller than the 5th gear's ratio. If the 4 speed has any problems, highway cruisability isn't one of them.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post3817768 (Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga)
Oh I didn't know about this. Even so a newer gearbox with more ratios will be better for fuel efficiency and city driving. Everyone is using atleast a 6-speed AT/ 5-speed AMT nowadays I don't know why maruti still uses their ancient TC gearbox.
Old 22nd March 2020, 18:52   #78
BHPian

I do have a Baleno CVT in the family which I have driven quite extensively. Yes the build is light and yes its far from being a "Rock solid, high-speed highway munching machine" but for a use case scenario of 90% in the city, it should be perfect. The CVT is as smooth as it can get and as practical as it can be, along with a light steering, decent ergonomics and a very practical cabin.

Yes, the build is light and tinny and I would never recommend it even if you mentioned a highway use of more than 30% but within the city, you would not have much to complaint about.

If, on the other hand, you prefer something more solid with good high speed manners, I would recommend the Ecosport petrol automatic. Its one of the most capable CSUV on the lower spectrum of 15 lakhs and it would serve you well for both your city and highway uses (assuming your highway use would go up after the purchase which is the case in most scenarios).

Generally, I would also say to stay away from AMTs in your budget, since you can afford proper automatic options and tread carefully on DCT options as well.

All the best with your purchase!
Fury is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 12:36   #79
BHPian

When it comes to ATs then I cannot think of anything better than Venue and Ecosport in sub 15 lakh range. Both of them may cost you around 13 lakhs on road here in Bengaluru but they are a complete package and you won't regret the decision later.
You may also check the Maruti showrooms for BS4 Brezza AMT (the same old 1.3l FIAT engine), this AMT in Brezza is a smooth shifter if you do not floor the throttle. I found it a very good option for daily city drives and it doesn't disappoint on highways too, plus you get a very good fuel economy. The only grouse is the interior dash board quality, that's it. Try your luck, it may have a good discount if the stock is not cleared.
amiya.c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 17:36   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachin V.W. View Post
If you can, please wait for new i20. I hope Hyundai will take the Premium Hatchback game on another level with this update. It will be worth a wait. I think it will be within your budgeted figure. The renderings looks damn cool.
Yup agreed, but the launch is expected Aug 2020 with not even accounting the slowdown Covid-19 is gonna bring with it. I am not sure if I can wait that long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive1987 View Post
Reading all your comments on other posts, if I were to be you, I would have straight away walked into a Hyundai showroom and chosen any one of the below:
Hey Arun,

Thanks for such a detailed post
Even my family has a good experience with Hyundai, but me being a newbie have no idea. Although this is what everyone is telling me. I would have got the i20 Auto ASAP but it's discontinued :(
So is the Grand i10 Auto. I have not really looked into Aura that much though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgamer View Post
I got the AMT i10 Nios Sportz for 8 lakhs OTR Bengaluru. The Asta will be around 60k or so more (Asta AMT didn't exist when I bought it, so not much idea). The top models of Amaze CVT is around 12 lakhs and the new polo will be around 11 lakhs OTR. Also, all the cars you are considering are sub-4m class. The i10 Nios is slightly over 3.8m while the largest car you'd be considering will be 4m (Ecosport, Amaze, Nexon, Venue etc). Also, the i10 has very good space inside (more than Venue for the back seat!).
Sorry for the size I meant the boot size which is 260L. It's not a very big concern though, just a minor one.Thanks for the detailed review of AMT gear box though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cake View Post
I think the Grand i10 automatic isn't available anymore, correct me if I'm wrong.
Yeah that is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
Upcoming Honda City

Upcoming Verna Facelift
Ummm, I think I have made a mistake. When we state the budget, should we give ex-showroom price or on-road price? The budget I have given is on-road for Bangalore. So I don't think Verna or City will come in my budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GipsyDanger View Post
Dear lord, that segment your budget lies in is huge. Everything from premium hatchbacks, sedans, to compact SUVs
I think I have made a mistake. When we state the budget, should we give ex-showroom price or on-road price? The budget I have given is on-road for Bangalore. Thanks for the great suggestions. I am really wanting to test drive these but due to the current situation can't :(.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th March 2020 at 01:12. Reason: Quotes trimmed. Please quote only relevant portions of posts. Thanks!
Old 23rd March 2020, 17:54   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anirudh_sai View Post
If you don't have a problem with a BS4 car you can go for the current Verna too, you'll get a good discount too. Compared to the facelift you'll miss out on the led headlights, digital cluster and the connected car features.
Verna seems to be out of my budget for now, waiting for the new price listing. Since it has CVT option too, I may as well extend and go for it if it's really good. Let's wait and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
If Venue had come with a 4-cyl NA petrol or turbo diesel and a TC autobox, this would have been the best of the lot.
Brezza is one of my top cars to test drive once the situation gets better. As for Amaze, I really want to avoid Diesel. I agree with Venue if it had TC :(

Quote:
Good to know! Any downside except millage for this gearbox then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
All the best with your purchase!
I agree from a safety view point but given that my highway usage will be less than 40%, I am ok with that. However, in city we may encounter accidents at very low speeds, bumps etc where the car may get dented. That is my biggest concern for Baleno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiya.c View Post
Try your luck, it may have a good discount if the stock is not cleared.
Ecosport is an Amazing option (only very pricey and over my budget). I will test drive and see. Same for Brezza. Venue has issues with DCT so avoiding that completely.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 23rd March 2020 at 18:00. Reason: Trimmed the posts within quotes for better readability. Thanks.
Old 23rd March 2020, 18:10   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvky94 View Post
Good to know! Any downside except millage for this gearbox then?
I can't say if it has a real problem besides its fuel inefficiency in the city (I get 16 on the highway, 10 in the city). I've been eyeing comments about the automatic XL6 and Ertiga and there as well, people have expressed their disappointment at the ancient gearbox and the lesser gears. But I haven't read a concrete drawback about it yet.

As for me - I find it adequate. This "ancient" gearbox reminds me of the rock-solid automatic cars that I've driven in the US.
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 19:37   #83

Quote:
I can't say if it has a real problem besides its fuel inefficiency in the city (I get 16 on the highway, 10 in the city). I've been eyeing comments about the automatic XL6 and Ertiga and there as well, people have expressed their disappointment at the ancient gearbox and the lesser gears. But I haven't read a concrete drawback about it yet.

As for me - I find it adequate. This "ancient" gearbox reminds me of the rock-solid automatic cars that I've driven in the US.
Great then I guess Brezza is the only minimum compromise SUV in my budget. Definitely looking forward for the test drive now
dhruvky94 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 20:03   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Great then I guess Brezza is the only minimum compromise SUV in my budget. Definitely looking forward for the test drive now
An apple-to-apple comparison with the 6 speed Automatic Ecosport would help you decipher what's so wrong with a 4 speed I guess. All the best!
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 20:05   #85
BHPian

I bought an XUV 300 W6AT and I absolutely love my car. It's only after buying an automatic that I realized that I like driving.

You will get an exceptionally safe car. The Pirelli AMT from Italy is really good and while you do feel the gear shift a little for the first three gears, its a really smooth ride. The ride quality with the 16-inch types is excellent. I bought the car on a Friday, drove from Hyderabad to Hampi on Saturday and gave it for its first service on Tuesday after completing 1000 Kms.

I have now completed 9500 Kms in six months and the car has never given me a reason to complain.

You will miss Andriod Auto and the boot is a bit small for a car worth 12 Lakhs but 3 people can sit in the backset comfortably and the car drives like a dream.

I had only two criteria while buying a car. I wanted a really safe/strong car. I wanted an Indian car. The budget was self imposed based on my perception of value for money.
akshay_ritz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 22:05   #86
BHPian

I've noticed that first car buyers tend to share the following
  1. Find smaller cars easier to estimate where the car ends
  2. Get multiple dents early on in their ownership
  3. Feel terrible when that happens - more than someone on their 2nd/3rd car
  4. Are surprised at the magnitude of increase in fuel (5x), service (10x) and maintenance costs (10x) compared to a bike
  5. Get a greater increase in happiness and quality of life than someone buying their nth car
Therefore, I recommend you spend only half your budget on a 2-5 year old car that has done less than 40k km of a manufacturer that's known for reliable cars that age well (Toyota, Honda, Hyundai) and has full service history. And you can always send it to the ASS to do a through check on it if you aren't getting a mechanic.
If you don't want to feel like you're making a compromise with an old car then spend your full budget on a car in a segment higher. A used C2 segment car is and feels way better than a new B2 segment car. And you'll keep it longer, thereby saving a lot of money.

Anyway new cars are all priced unjustifiably high. And the new feeling lasts only a few months of the 10 odd years that one should own a car.

Last edited by evil_grin : 24th March 2020 at 22:09.
evil_grin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 19:38   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_ritz View Post
I bought an XUV 300 W6AT and I absolutely love my car. It's only after buying an automatic that I realized that I like driving.
I don't see XUV 300 having any AMT option for Petrol. Is your's Diesel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_grin View Post
I've noticed that first car buyers tend to share the following
Nice points... however, I didn't find any good second-hand car in a reasonable price range when I was looking. That's why decided to shift to a new car.
Old 25th March 2020, 22:20   #88
BHPian

Quote:
I don't see XUV 300 having any AMT option for Petrol. Is your's Diesel?
Yes I bought the W6 diesel. The 1.5 engine is powerful and I get 14KMPL with 100% AC usage. You do miss out on rear AC vents if that's a criterion for you. I loved the steel and quality of build so it was a no brainer for me.
akshay_ritz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 11:59   #89

Quote:
I didn't find any good second-hand car in a reasonable price range when I was looking. That's why decided to shift to a new car.
That's because Bangalore has the worst second hand market in any city I've seen in India. Just check second hand car prices in Delhi and you'll get jealous. I've seen people demand 70-75% value for their 4 year old car in Bangalore. It's crazy! Plus there aren't many options for automatic buyers since automatics weren't that popular 3-4 years ago.

I think the major reason why Bangalore's market is so bad is because people are fine with buying second hand. Since the demand is high, prices are too. In Delhi, second hand is considered as poor man's option and seen as a bit of a taboo, hence the low prices.

On top of that, Bangalore's traffic degrades the car at a way faster rate. Go for a new car!
darkgamer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 10:30   #90
BHPian

Quote:
I agree from a safety view point but given that my highway usage will be less than 40%, I am ok with that. However, in city we may encounter accidents at very low speeds, bumps etc where the car may get dented. That is my biggest concern for Baleno.
With all due respect, that logic for crash safety is an absolute fallacy. Cars are crash tested at 60 kmph and you can see the state of those vehicles. So if you're never planning to cross 40 kmph, then yes, it does make sense but otherwise you're leaving it down to sheer luck.

This argument only applies when you consider highway stability, where ESP/VSC, wider tires and track, centre of gravity etc come into question.
saur95 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed