Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s


View Poll Results: Which compact SUV would you pick?
Hyundai Venue 95 18.13%
Maruti Vitara Brezza 28 5.34%
Mahindra XUV300 61 11.64%
Tata Nexon 127 24.24%
Ford EcoSport 196 37.40%
Honda WR-V 8 1.53%
Other (please specify in your post) 9 1.72%
Voters: 524. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2020, 18:25   #151
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: DL 09
Posts: 91
Thanked: 114 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Venue vs the competition

I just happened to see a video comparison of the Hyundai Venue and the new Brezza and I do believe that the Brezza now looks too old with its boxy design in comparison to its rivals. The funkier looking Venue looks more modern and the car's cabin too feels better than that of the Brezza.
If I had to make a choice, I think I will be left confused between the Ford EcoSport, Hyundai Venue, and the Tata Nexon.

Video Comparison of Venue and Brezza
MrBeast is offline  
Old 13th June 2020, 00:18   #152
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Pune
Posts: 7
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Please help in choosing a compact suv.

Hello BHPians,

This is my first post on team bhp and I would like to start by saying that I am very excited to be accepted as a part of this elite forum which I had been silently following since my college days.

Coming to topic, I actually need help in shortlisting a compact suv for my daily use. My requirements are as follows:

1. Safety is of utmost importance
2. Should be a good highway cruiser
3. Useful features like rear camera, front arm rests, automatic air conditioning etc.
4. Long term reliability

Mostly the car will be driven within Pune city with occasional highway trips. I am also planning to use it for a couple of long distance trips in a year from Pune to my hometown which is approximately 1600 kilometres.

This will be my first personal car and third in my family’s garage. My budget for this is upto 11.5 lakhs in on road figures. The shortlisted vehicles are :

1. Nexon facelift (xz plus)
2. Xuv300 (W8)
3. Ecosport titanium plus/thunder
4. Venue

All these are petrol MTs.

I will start with test driving them tomorrow but would really appreciate any advice that I can get from you guys
Centodieci is offline  
Old 13th June 2020, 13:40   #153
BHPian
 
Artyom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 255
Thanked: 417 Times
Default Re: Please help in choosing a compact suv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centodieci View Post
Hello BHPians,

This is my first post on team bhp and I would like to start by saying that I am very excited to be accepted as a part of this elite forum which I had been silently following since my college days.

Coming to topic, I actually need help in shortlisting a compact suv for my daily use. My requirements are as follows:

1. Safety is of utmost importance
2. Should be a good highway cruiser
3. Useful features like rear camera, front arm rests, automatic air conditioning etc.
4. Long term reliability

Mostly the car will be driven within Pune city with occasional highway trips. I am also planning to use it for a couple of long distance trips in a year from Pune to my hometown which is approximately 1600 kilometres.

This will be my first personal car and third in my family’s garage. My budget for this is upto 11.5 lakhs in on road figures. The shortlisted vehicles are :

1. Nexon facelift (xz plus)
2. Xuv300 (W8)
3. Ecosport titanium plus/thunder
4. Venue

All these are petrol MTs.

I will start with test driving them tomorrow but would really appreciate any advice that I can get from you guys
I was in the same dilemma almost 1 year back when I planned to buy one and I had similar requirements.

I'll share with you my findings in the case that helps:-

-Nexon and XUV 300 were test-driven but then their engines and the after-sales services kept us away from them. XUV 300 had launched at that time and I was really excited to try one but the rattles gave away all the fun. Nexon was good but wifey declined it.

- I had taken TD for Ecosport 1.5 Litre and I was drooling over it. I had almost finalized the Titanium + but then at the last moment, Ford decided to revamp their lineup and make some changes to the existing models by REMOVING some of the features. I was so disappointed and heartbroken. At the same time, the news came that Ford would be going into JV with Mahindra which made me think what if Ford disappears one day. That was the final nail in the coffin. Although I must say It's near to perfect vehicle in every sense till date in my opinion. If you are OK with the feature list then this the best you can get and ticks all your boxes.

-The Venue was THE biggest disappointment I had especially in terms of the cabin space. Trust me when I say this our Maruti Alto 800 felt more spacious and less claustrophobic than Venue. Apart from that no complaints in terms of features.Good after-sales and reliable engines. Loaded to the brim. If space is not one of the top priorities then Venue is an excellent choice.

All said and done this was a year back and now things might have changed so do your analysis and decide. In my opinion, I would still go for Ecosport any day primarily because of 2 factors which Venue misses on (Driving fun. and the build is superior to Venue)

Happy Hunting
Artyom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2020, 13:48   #154
Distinguished - BHPian
 
volkman10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: --
Posts: 17,285
Thanked: 40,932 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Venue vs the competition

Here is how the CUV's fared in terms of dispatches in FY20:

Name:  ccv.PNG
Views: 1217
Size:  213.5 KB

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 13th June 2020 at 13:51.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 18:56   #155
BHPian
 
virajmore03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Chennai/Pune
Posts: 39
Thanked: 309 Times
Default Advice needed: Which petrol car to buy(hatchback/compact SUV) under 10 Lakhs?

Dear all

Posting this on behalf of a friend who is in the market looking for a petrol car under 10 lakhs (on road Bangalore).

He along with his wife has recently started a part time mexican food (delivery only) business in Bangalore and is looking for a hatch back/compact SUV to do the deliveries/buy groceries. The car should also serve as their family car and will be used for short highway trips.

Basic requirements:

1. Petrol engine.
2. Good build quality and Reliable.
3. Safety
4. has to be a new car.

Options available (not an exhaustive list)

1. Tata Nexon
2. Hyundai Venue
3. Mahindra Xuv 300
4. Ford Ecosport
5. Tata Altroz
6. Volkswagen Polo (2020 1.0 TSI).

Request your inputs/suggestions, that can help him choose right car

Last edited by virajmore03 : 22nd June 2020 at 19:17.
virajmore03 is offline  
Old 22nd June 2020, 19:08   #156
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: North India
Posts: 366
Thanked: 1,392 Times
Default Re: Advice needed: Which petrol car to buy(hatchback/compact SUV) under 10 Lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by virajmore03 View Post
Dear all

Posting this on behalf of a friend who is in the market looking for a petrol car under 10 lakhs (on road Bangalore).

He along with his wife has recently started a mexican food (delivery only) business in Bangalore and is looking for a hatch back/compact SUV to do the deliveries/buy groceries. The car will also be used for short highway

Request your inputs/suggestions, that can help him choose right car

Why does your friend need a 10 lakh rupee car to do deliveries and buy groceries?

Just tie up with uber eats/swiggy/zomato/amazon food, and let them handle the logistics.

And for buying things like groceries, buy an s-presso, and remove the rear seats. More than enough space. And for the occasional delivery, it will be good enough, small, easily maneuverable, cheap to run, won't get scratched easily.

Last edited by turbo : 22nd June 2020 at 19:09. Reason: Quoted post shortened
turbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 19:15   #157
BHPian
 
virajmore03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Chennai/Pune
Posts: 39
Thanked: 309 Times
Default Re: Advice needed: Which petrol car to buy(hatchback/compact SUV) under 10 Lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
Why does your friend need a 10 lakh rupee car to do deliveries and buy groceries?

Just tie up with uber eats/swiggy/zomato/amazon food, and let them handle the logistics.

And for buying things like groceries, buy an s-presso, and remove the rear seats. More than enough space. And for the occasional delivery, it will be good enough, small, easily maneuverable, cheap to run, won't get scratched easily.
Thank you for your response. It will be his family car too. So will be used for road trips etc as well.

So its not only for groceries and deliveries actually. Sorry I missed to mention that above.

So basically a family car which can also be used to run errands (which in his case will be more than usual due to the new business).

Last edited by virajmore03 : 22nd June 2020 at 19:31.
virajmore03 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 16:30   #158
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 124
Thanked: 244 Times
Default Need help - looking to purchase my first car

Warning: You are going to see some weird choices, buying the first car on a budget does this to ordinary people. kindly do not raise questions about my mental state!

Hello, Mods,
Please move this is under appropriate thread if required, thanks!

Hello members,
Just like an average Indian kid I was into cars from my childhood. However, never felt the push to get one and drive in India, due to the traffic condition. I have a bike and usually prefer bikes to cars.
However, off late, during my 10KM ride to the office, I am scared that sharing the road with some of the most law-abiding buses or the cabs might just be fatal someday. That’s probably what age does to one! The idea to get a car raised its head!

The recent pandemic made me realize, this used to be one of my dreams to own a car. Life is short and I should look to fulfill the dream if possible. With that dream and a whole lot of reading on Team Bhp, below is what I could come up with.
Budget – I would like to keep it below 15L OTR. Although I have started considering the 2020 Creta SX and that’s a little above my budget. So, I can stretch it a bit further if it is ‘The car’!

Usage – Mostly for office commute. On some weekends, it would become the family tourer. Rear legroom and ease of ingress and egress is required

• A TC automatic – I have mostly driven an automatic (a 2015Civic 1.8 with 140HP engine mated to a CVT) and would be uncomfortable going the manual route now in Kolkata traffic! I would not like to get another CVT. DCT or DSG have reliability issues. That leaves me with TC and AMT!

• Decent safety – Airbags, ABS, ESP is mandatory. I would prefer one with a decent NCAP rating. Hill hold, rear camera, etc are good to have

Hassle-free ownership – It has to be reliable! I would like to keep this for the next 10 years at least. I am not a car guy! So, I would like to have a car that won’t give me headaches now and then

• An Indian and no mention of ‘Kitna deti hai?’! I would prefer something in the range of 12-15 KMPL in Kolkata traffic! The average distance a month would be around 1000-1200KM

Timeline – planning to wrap up the purchase by Sept - 2020

To summarize, I want something safe, powerful, reliable, and cheap! Yes, a man can dream!

With all this in mind, I have started going through the automatics available in this budget.
Swift ZXI+ AMT (8.9L OTR): Because it’s a Maruti – hassle-free ownership. On the same note, should add the Brezza too! It’s on my TD list

Polo GT (10.5L OTR): The only car that is here on my list because it’s from VAG! Not sure when a TD car is going to be available! The after-sales and the 10 years old platform are concerning. It’s on my TD list

Nexon XZA+ (~13L OTR): I was tilting towards the Nexon Diesel XZA+ only to find out it’s an AMT on a 12L car! Service is a concern. Not on TD list due to the AMT!

Ecosport T+ AT (~13L OTR): My requirement #6 is probably going to eliminate it. The Petrol AT is a guzzler. I have heard of a single-digit economy! Not on TD list

• 2020 City V CVT (13.5L OTR): Has almost everything I wanted, safety features, space. Has an old engine. No idea about the build. And it has a CVT! It’s on my TD list.

Seltos HTK+ D (15.5L OTR): This was in my budget and I had booked it around 10 days back. Upon further reading, found the 15.5L INR would get me just 2 airbags and ABS. No ESP, no Hill hold, no TC! All the safety features are available only at the top of the line GTX+ variant which is way over my budget. Well, I may as well get a SWIFT or Ignis along with a life insurance and health insurance from the money saved if this is the case! I am not very sure about the service too

Creta SX D (17.7L OTR): I can push my budget a little to get this. This too has everything I need. And I am leaning towards this. However, I have apprehensions about its long-term reliability. The maintenance is not cheap once the warranty window is over. Still, it’s on my TD list

Now, you see, I have started from a Swift AMT and gone all the way till Creta SX D AT. In short, I have gone complete nuts .
The price range has doubled but the peace of mind is still not there. Maybe the TD will help somewhat.

But for long term reliability and after-sales, need your suggestion among these. Also please let me know of any other car that I might have missed.

Thank you!
7000plusrpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 17:23   #159
Distinguished - BHPian
 
lamborghini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 5,417
Thanked: 3,235 Times
Default Re: Need help - looking to purchase my first car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7000plusrpm View Post

Now, you see, I have started from a Swift AMT and gone all the way till Creta SX D AT. In short, I have gone complete nuts .
The price range has doubled but the peace of mind is still not there. Maybe the TD will help somewhat.

But for long term reliability and after-sales, need your suggestion among these. Also please let me know of any other car that I might have missed.

Thank you!
Having witnessed Kolkata Traffic, I would highly recommend an sub-4M hatch / crossover. One can always rent a self-drive for the longer road trips (if they aren't too frequent), customized to your trip (SUV / Sedan, etc.)
Some options to add to the list:
- Nexon EV - a wild card entry but it meets all your requirements. The biggest downside is the shorter range.
- Figo 1.2 AT which should be launching soon with a TC : The practical choice
- Polo 1.0T with the TC : The fun choice

That being said, would urge you to take a long drive in the Amaze Diesel with CVT, and also the Jazz CVT - The Jazz has better ingress & egress than the City. No harm looking at the Yaris Petrol too though it is overpriced - but it is a proper Toyota with good build and from my experience should edge the city out in terms of reliability.
AMT's though well priced are at times jerky, and not as reliable as a TC or CVT from what I've heard.

Last edited by lamborghini : 20th July 2020 at 17:26.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 17:50   #160
Senior - BHPian
 
KarthikK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,158
Thanked: 6,371 Times
Default Re: Need help - looking to purchase my first car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7000plusrpm View Post
... snip snip ...

Hassle-free ownership – It has to be reliable! I would like to keep this for the next 10 years at least. I am not a car guy! So, I would like to have a car that won’t give me headaches now and then

• An Indian and no mention of ‘Kitna deti hai?’! I would prefer something in the range of 12-15 KMPL in Kolkata traffic! The average distance a month would be around 1000-1200KM
12-15 kmpl for a petrol is not a very realistic expectation, especially if used in the city. Subtract 3 from that number if it has to be a petrol. Diesel looks like a better fit for your FE criterion, and this automatically eliminates many options from your list. Your requirements of wanting to keep the car for 10 years and in trouble-free shape largely tilts the equation towards a Jap or Korean brand and preferably something which has good long term after sales support. AMTs are nowhere near TC boxes in refinement (too jerky) and in intuitiveness (easy to confuse an AMT box!). I'd steer clear of it if I have to use the car reliably in a variety of conditions and for a long duration of 10 years as you have mentioned.

Quote:
With all this in mind, I have started going through the automatics available in this budget.
... snip snip ...
It’s on my TD list
... snip snip ...
Not on TD list
I didn't understand what is the difference between your shortlisted options and this 'TD list' . Does it mean low priority but the possibility of looking at it is still open? The petrol AT Ecosport is a well sorted option but you may probably be turned off due to its dated image now with other fresh faces in the segment.

Among the options that you have shortlisted, I'd suggest you go with the Creta SX D since it seems to tick all your boxes and looks like a good long termer, going by the previous Creta's standards. The maintenance will be a little expensive over time but that is the tradeoff for getting a better car upfront . Good luck with your purchase!

Last edited by KarthikK : 20th July 2020 at 17:54.
KarthikK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 18:44   #161
BHPian
 
akash_v12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Pune | Mumbai
Posts: 616
Thanked: 1,466 Times
Default Re: Need help - looking to purchase my first car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7000plusrpm View Post
Hello members,
Just like an average Indian kid I was into cars from my childhood. However, never felt the push to get one and drive in India, due to the traffic condition. I have a bike and usually prefer bikes to cars.
Being from Kolkata, I know how bad the traffic can get specially in areas like Park Street, Salt Lake etc and this makes me believe that you would want something not too small (weekend legroom) or not too big (city runabout). So you'll be better off looking at Sedans & Mid-Size SUVs rather than the hatches or CSUVs.

Out of your list, my suggestion would be either the Seltos, Creta or City. Since the Seltos & Creta are basically the same cars, it all depends upon which one you like more. The 5th gen City is a newer entrant so I don't know much about it.

Also, since you've considered the Polo, why don't you have a look at the Vento also? Might fit perfectly with all your requirements and slow sales = greater discounts .
akash_v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 19:24   #162
Senior - BHPian
 
IshaanIan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd/B'lore
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 4,552 Times
Default Re: My 1st Automatic Car - Budget 11 lakhs

Not sure if anyone has already mentioned it, but I shall anyway; back in 2018 my family was on the lookout for a sub 20 lakh on-road automatic petrol car. That requirement has since dissolved but my experience from having test driven every option available from little hatchbacks all the way upto the Creta, was that from a sheer value for money perspective, no car made as much sense for city duties as the Tata Tiago. The manual version works just fine and I have a hard time recommending any other car below the D-segment when it comes to usage in the city. The Tiago truly does perform every role as a city car that you would ever require of it and doesn't really give you much to complain about. Whatever extra one gets with a bigger more expensive car within the 20 lakh bracket does not seem to be worth the extra money. Do spend some time with the Tiago you might end up saving a lot of money that could go toward a bigger car purchase in the future

Last edited by IshaanIan : 20th July 2020 at 19:27.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 15:02   #163
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 124
Thanked: 244 Times
Default Re: My 1st Automatic Car - Budget 11 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
- Nexon EV - a wild card entry but it meets all your requirements. The biggest downside is the shorter range.
- Figo 1.2 AT which should be launching soon with a TC : The practical choice
- Polo 1.0T with the TC : The fun choice

That being said, would urge you to take a long drive in the Amaze Diesel with CVT, and also the Jazz CVT.
AMT's though well priced are at times jerky, and not as reliable as a TC or CVT from what I've heard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
my suggestion would be either the Seltos, Creta or City. Since the Seltos & Creta are basically the same cars, it all depends upon which one you like more. The 5th gen City is a newer entrant so I don't know much about it.

Also, since you've considered the Polo, why don't you have a look at the Vento also? Might fit perfectly with all your requirements and slow sales = greater discounts .
CVTs are a no for me. I do not like the rubber band effect and don't want to tolerate it for 10 years.
Polo and Vento are good choices. Just that, its' a 10 years old platform now and will be keeping it another 10 years. Not sure if that is a good choice now or not. I will be TDing the Vento auto once that is available, along with the Polo. Thank you for the suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post

The petrol AT Ecosport is a well sorted option but you may probably be turned off due to its dated image now with other fresh faces in the segment.
Thank you! Petrol Ecosport AT was considered but rejected due to low FE.



Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
no car made as much sense for city duties as the Tata Tiago. The manual version works just fine and I have a hard time recommending any other car below the D-segment when it comes to usage in the city.
I don't want to use a manual, won't be comfortable for me initially. Also, considering the increasing traffic, more so post COVID, I would be reluctant to get a manual car.
I was hoping Tata would bring a TC auto to Altroz or Ford on their TDCI powered cars (Freestyle, Aspire), those would have been perfect.

Anyway, with Seltos out of the picture, I would be primarily looking at the following and since a Maruti was not recommended, I would think the below options are better than the Maruti offerings.
1. Polo / Vento Auto
2. Creta D SX AT
3. 2020 City AT

WB Govt. has decided to start lockdowns again from this week, twice a week. Not sure how that will work out. Once all these settle down, I'll start with the TDs and keep you updated on my findings.
Thanks for the help, cheers!
7000plusrpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 15:59   #164
BHPian
 
akash_v12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Pune | Mumbai
Posts: 616
Thanked: 1,466 Times
Default Re: My 1st Automatic Car - Budget 11 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7000plusrpm View Post
1. Polo / Vento Auto
2. Creta D SX AT
3. 2020 City AT
If you are going to go ahead & TD the Creta Diesel, do also try and get one for the Turbo-Petrol (since your monthly running will be a low 1000-1200KM).
Also, I have a contact to Mukesh Hyundai which had been shared by BHPian Pancham. If required I would be glad to share his details with you. He is associated with the sales dept. but sits at the Chetia service.
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 16:48   #165
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Blr/Kol
Posts: 116
Thanked: 239 Times
Default Re: Need help - looking to purchase my first car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7000plusrpm View Post
Warning: You are going to see some weird choices, buying the first car on a budget does this to ordinary people. kindly do not raise questions about my mental state!
In Kolkata, your car would get a scratch from the other motorists the very next day. Pain from that would increase exponentially with the price you might be paying for the car.
Considering all the scenarios, have you given a thought to top spec automatic Santro or Nios? Given you are not a car guy, it will keep you happy and your budget will actually even cover the petrol cost for next few years.

Some of the possible scenarios:
1. You turn into a car guy: These vehicles will be still enjoyable and reliable to drive around in Kolkata city.
2. You turn into a car guy and wish to do long trips:
Say, pandemic gets over in near future: you would still be able to enjoy medium range longish drives. In case, these cars don't fit the bill, due to low initial cost (w.r.t your budget), the hit from depreciation would be lower for you to move to a nicer car, else rent nicer cars for long trips.

Last edited by arighna.dutta : 21st July 2020 at 16:53.
arighna.dutta is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks