Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2021, 22:00   #46
BHPian

Re: Successor to T - Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by shikhar10882 View Post
But for the spending about 50k per annum on this car now on maintenance..

Don't want to put more than 25 Lacs on the successor.
If you are spending 50k a year on maintenance of a 10 year old C-segment car, I think it's time to change it. And you also seem to have a fairly good budget of 25L.
The T-Jet was a very very nice car for its time (I had one for 5 years) but frankly the market is fantastic for Turbo petrols now and the game has moved on and how!

For sheer driving pleasure, wait for 1.5Tsi+DSG in the TRoc/Taigun/Kushaq and if you don't mind the not-so-great boot space, those will be excellent replacements for you. The TRoc for example is a way faster car than the T-jet was and the DSG will make up for the loss of hydraulic steering feedback.

If you can stick to a sedan, wait for the new Octavia with 2.0Tsi+DQ381 DSG. That will a pretty big upgrade in every possible way to the TJet - performance, interiors, leg room, boot space, features. Again, you'll miss the steering feedback for sure but there is so much more on offer in other areas that it's a small sacrifice at best. Plus the new DQ381 will likely not have the gremlins of the old DQ200 (used with 1.5Tsi) and you'll have a lot of headroom for potential mods too. Skoda usually does a good job of giving a rough road package for handling Indian roads and the Octavia will likely not scrape on our usual roads. It's a different matter if a Suv is a must for you though.
niranjanrvce is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 22:06   #47
BHPian

Re: How to replace a Fiat Linea T-Jet?

Some update on the changes for on the t-jet -
1) The inlet pipe was damaged and we could see it. So that was the first fix.
2) There was doubt on the pressure sensor and it was replaced. But still got the check engine problem
3) Now the doubt is on the MAP sensor. Waiting for the part. Ordered from 99rpm

In the mean time, got the front and rear brake disc and pads replaced. Once the remap works with the new sensor, will update again.
Old 23rd March 2021, 22:13   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In this utter confusion, I seek advise of the fellow petrol heads / enthusiasts please.
I am open to other alternatives as well, if there are any.
(I knew finding a worthy successor to T-Jet was going to be tough, but never imagined it would be so tough).
The Jeep Compass does make a very compelling proposition, but in my opinion it is simply over priced for what it offers.

Similarly, the T-Roc is a brilliant option but for the DSG & CBU tag (typically CBU cars have certain components like AC, sensors, etc. which pack up quicker in our conditions : these have been common niggles in first lot of VWAGs too).

The Harrier seems like a better bet and even though it is 'expensive for a Tata'.

Other options could be Taigun / Kushaq1.5TSi MT, Rapid TSi, Tucson, and even waiting for the Octavia (they're fairly practical, and GC should be better than OG Linea T-Jet).
However even these new launches would require a wait of 6-12 months to iron out the niggles.

Lastly, Do check if the discounted Tiguan can fall into a stretched budget.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 22:39   #49
BHPian

Re: Successor to T - Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
For sheer driving pleasure, wait for 1.5Tsi+DSG in the TRoc/Taigun/Kushaq and if you don't mind the not-so-great boot space, those will be excellent replacements for you. The TRoc for example is a way faster car than the T-jet was and the DSG will make up for the loss of hydraulic steering feedback.

If you can stick to a sedan, wait for the new Octavia with 2.0Tsi+DQ381 DSG. ......
It's a different matter if a Suv is a must for you though.
Thanks alot @niranjanrvce for your inputs...
Taigun / Kushaq being in their first gen, I would rather wait for them to prove themselves and VW / SKODA to iron out the niggels of Gen I when they launch Gen 2, which is about 1 year from now. So they, in my opinion will make into the list after 1 year.

The SUV is absolutely NOT a must, but as you said with the DQ381 and a steering that is not as alive as Linea, 2 of the 4 key components of driving pleasure are compromised (Engine, Handling / Dynamics, Steering, Gearbox). Trust I will have to wait for it - the only risk being the second lot of TROC, coming in the end of April may be sold out till I am able to secure a TD of Octavia.

So, the thing I can do is, maintain the Linea for one more year, which will make:
- Octavia available
- Taigun / Kushaq would have some real world feedback
- T Roc 's 3rd lot may be on the cards
- Jeep my improve it's AT for re-introduce an MT on 4X4...
and with the above, the horizon of choice may widen considerably.
Old 23rd March 2021, 22:57   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
The Jeep Compass does make a very compelling proposition, but in my opinion it is simply over priced for what it offers.
I agree. Besides, I also feel that without a 4X4, Jeep my not be that 'exceptional' a proposition.

Quote:
Similarly, the T-Roc is a brilliant option but for the DSG & CBU tag (typically CBU cars have certain components like AC, sensors, etc. which pack up quicker in our conditions : these have been common niggles in first lot of VWAGs too).
Perfectly worded my concern. While the T ROC may have proven itself in the European market, I still feel buying a DSG may be taking a risk. But on the other hand, this is also true that when it performs, there is nothing else much like it. "When it performs" being put in quotation marks.

Quote:
The Harrier seems like a better bet and even though it is 'expensive for a Tata'.
Agreed. Then I think, if I am moving from a driver's car to a VFM proposition, then maybe Seltos / Creta are able to offer a superior VFM. So Harrier becomes a proposition acing in neither of the departments - VFM or Driving Pleasure. Then there are 6 monthly service intervals and lack of disk breaks in rear with 17 incher tyres (18 incher would have been better).

Quote:
Other options could be Taigun / Kushaq1.5TSi MT, Rapid TSi, Tucson, and even waiting for the Octavia (they're fairly practical, and GC should be better than OG Linea T-Jet).
However even these new launches would require a wait of 6-12 months to iron out the niggles.
I would also wait for some real world feedback on Taigun / Kushaq before considering them. Same goes for new DSG coming on Octavia.

Quote:
Lastly, Do check if the discounted Tiguan can fall into a stretched budget.
Oh!!! How I wish I could. But Allspace's proportion are not so much to my taste, and the regular Tiguan will come thru CBU route only in year end. (My wife, who already is jealous of my love for Linea seeing her as a rival, will no way allow me to venture into that territory).
shikhar10882 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 00:44   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Agreed. Then I think, if I am moving from a driver's car to a VFM proposition, then maybe Seltos / Creta are able to offer a superior VFM. So Harrier becomes a proposition acing in neither of the departments - VFM or Driving Pleasure. Then there are 6 monthly service intervals and lack of disk breaks in rear with 17 incher tyres (18 incher would have been better).
Please don't get hung up over small things, move on from your old Fiat, just about any new vehicle is better than an old outdated Fiat, if it was as good as brand new you would not think of parting with it.

Last edited by vb-saan : 24th March 2021 at 11:00. Reason: Please be a bit more mindful in your comments - one person's junk can be another one's treasure. Thank you!
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 06:43   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Please don't get hung up over small things, move on from your old Fiat, just about any new vehicle is better than an old outdated Fiat, if it was as good as brand new you would not think of parting with it.
From my perspective its going to be very hard to upgrade from the Jet unless I spend a lot lot more. It may be old school, but its been bullet proof even with all my mods, and the bottom line is it puts a smile on my face every time I take her out.

To me this one is a keeper.

Last edited by vb-saan : 24th March 2021 at 11:01. Reason: Quoted post edited. Thank you!
keroo1099 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 09:47   #53
BHPian

Quote:
if it was as good as brand new you would not think of parting with it.
She may not be as good as new... for sure, has aged gracefully hence was in a dilemma, do I actually need to change it at all??

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
Strong words, but you are entitled to your opinion.

From my perspective its going to be very hard to upgrade from the Jet unless I spend a lot lot more. It may be old school, but its been bullet proof even with all my mods, and the bottom line is it puts a smile on my face every time I take her out.

To me this one is a keeper.
I resound the same emotion...

The 'Feel', that ability to put a 'smile' every time she is in her power band, that effortless cruising on long winding roads munching miles for breakfast, ability to make me enjoy the journey more than the destination... all this make it so much difficult to upgrade her and even more so to part with her. The reason I will need to need to part with her when I get the successor is primarily non availability of 3rd parking allocation to a single owner in the society where I reside.

And this is what has limited my horizon of choices available as not many cars today are able to replicate, if not exceed that capability!

Last edited by vb-saan : 24th March 2021 at 11:02. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged; please use edit/multi-quote options when posting back-to-back. Thanks!
Old 24th March 2021, 10:21   #54
BHPian

Quote:
, has aged gracefully hence was in a dilemma, do I actually need to change it at all??
My Father also owns a 10 year Fiat Linea T-Jet. Keeps on talking about its driving dynamics.

Quote:
The 'Feel', that ability to put a 'smile' every time she is in her power band, that effortless cruising on long winding roads munching miles for breakfast, ability to make me enjoy the journey more than the destination... all this make it so much difficult to upgrade her and even more so to part with her.
This is the reason why he does not want to part with it.

I'm gonna be honest over here , If you are happy with the T-jet keep it. That's what we are doing.

If you really want to upgrade , I would say wait for the new Octavia. It may not drive like the T-jet, but would be close to it. Seeing that you are considering the T-roc , the Octavia deserves to be checked out.

But, If you are really attached to it don't sell it. You may regret it.
Eshan Joshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 10:25   #55
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

@shikhar10882 , before you decide anything, address the elephant in the room ...

why does it cost 50k for maintenance annually ?

- how many (50k) annuals have you suffered already ?
- still servicing at FASS, who are overcharging you with inflated bills ?
- repeated parts failure ? if yes, which parts ?
- are all fluids replaced well in time ?

Analyze this (for example if many of the failed parts are already replaced, they might not fail for the next 2-3 years surely) and then keep a rough prediction in mind as to how much the expenses are likely to be, for the next 2 years. Then, and only then, make the decision to switch to another car (since you are not in urgent need, you have the luxury to weigh your options well, before deciding). The reason I am saying this is, anyway the Tjet wont fetch you any resale value, esp since yours is ~10 yrs old. If you really decide to sell it, why invest money in fitting it with fresh spare parts and then sell it for bad resale price ?
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 10:31   #56
BHPian

Thanks a lot @EshanJoshi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshan Joshi View Post
But, If you are really attached to it don't sell it. You may regret it.
Exactly the fear I have... Hence all this confusion!

When I had upgraded to Linea from my previous car, she made me feel special, with her tank like built, thud of the doors, all wheel disks and the feel in the driving seat - just being there and while driving it.
An upgrade to this exceptional 'feeling special' is making this search tougher and tougher!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
@shikhar10882 , before you decide anything, address the elephant in the room ...

why does it cost 50k for maintenance annually ?
Salute sir.. for your approach...

All right, to answer - the maintenance my my case have been genuine and have been happening for last three years.
3 years earlier - The tires were changed - 215 /55 R16 do cost ~8500 per tire
2 years earlier - The ECU had an issue and had to be replaced (Got the 125 bhp ECU fitted in my 112 bhp engine)
Last year - Suspension Overhauling
Now expected:
- This year - Clutch
- Next year - Tyres +Battery
I mean.. all periodic - but yes, there will be 'spending' on the car!!!

This is one of the key reasons why the reason to change came to my thoughts - Do I continue to spend on her or is it time for a change?

Last edited by vb-saan : 24th March 2021 at 11:03. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged; please use edit/multi-quote options when posting back-to-back. Thanks!
shikhar10882 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 11:43   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
She may not be as good as new... for sure, has aged gracefully hence was in a dilemma, do I actually need to change it at all??
Two of my friends sold their Fiats as scrap. I had told them to get rid of them in good time when the vehicle was at least visually and mechanically in good condition - but as usual they did not listen.

They moved over to Toyota and Maruti afterwards, and left me with an advice - Its an endless moneypit. But you cant take Fiat out of them forever, one of them have bought a Jeep GC after moving to Gelf, already its giving him the bills.

The third ,T-Jet owner at least got a fair price for the vehicle when he parted with it afterwards, but this was a few years ago, I do not know the market for it now, hope its good.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 15:25   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I mean.. all periodic - but yes, there will be 'spending' on the car!!!

This is one of the key reasons why the reason to change came to my thoughts - Do I continue to spend on her or is it time for a change?
Honestly, these are actually routine maintenance items and if the car continues it stellar reliability under your great care, you could wait a year or two.
Typically reasons to sell the vehicle are two: either it has frequent maintenance / break downs (like most Europeans have ACs that pack up, rubber components start deteriorating, fabric roof liner starts sagging, odd electronic / sensor related glitches - such as your ECU probably); or the owner is bored / requirements changed, etc.
In your case it seems to be the latter, because let's face it : routine maintenance on any of these new cars will start after 2/3 years + will be higher priced compared to the Linea (bigger battery, DSG oil change every 4 years, tyres 17", etc.) And also the odd niggle with the increasing amount of complex electronics & sensors.

Quote:

I would also wait for some real world feedback on Taigun / Kushaq before considering them. Same goes for new DSG coming on Octavia.
Personally not a fan of the Creta / Seltos ONLY due to the quality lapses & safety aspects (both widely covered on TBHP). Given your comments, I have a feeling it's something you may be bored of soon and may create a new thread with a similar query much earlier

Do check out the tucson once. With the discounts on offer, newer interiors, good ride & handling, punchy diesel : it could surprise you.

In terms of driving pleasure : I have a feeling the Skoda/VW options will probably come close should you decide to upgrade.
My pick would be a hefty discount on the vRS 245 (if available, and within budget - assuming new Octavia launch would put additional pressure on dealers to liquidate stocks - the CBU niggles would be worth it if the price is right ), otherwise Taigun / Kushaq 1.5 TSi MT, Rapid 1.0TSi MT or Auto torque converter.
New Octavia I'd wait 6-8 months to hear feedback on niggles before going ahead, and who knows - if you decide to keep the Linea for a year or two and decide to increase the budget : there might be a similar fire sale on the 5 seater CBU Tiguan judging by history (we were offered 6L in 2018 on our TDi highline, similar price paid in 2020 for the All Space by two friends, and fact is in that segment butch diesels work best so unless VW learns and imports basis orders - they may have to resort to a similar fire sale on the 5 seater petrols).
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 15:35   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Two of my friends sold their Fiats as scrap. I had told them to get rid of them in good time when the vehicle was at least visually and mechanically in good condition - but as usual they did not listen.

They moved over to Toyota and Maruti afterwards, and left me with an advice - Its an endless moneypit. But you cant take Fiat out of them forever, one of them have bought a Jeep GC after moving to Gelf, already its giving him the bills.

The third ,T-Jet owner at least got a fair price for the vehicle when he parted with it afterwards, but this was a few years ago, I do not know the market for it now, hope its good.
Once again.. thanks for your advise.

Surely very practical.

But.. as they say the dying outdated breed of petrolheads still finds it difficult to think from head. The heart plays a lot of role in the decision.

And I presume these ladies will be moneypits for any decision made by heart - eg T-Roc with DSG and Spares.
But if I go for a practical car, put good 20L on it - will I get bored of it too soon?
Old 24th March 2021, 15:55   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Honestly, these are actually routine maintenance items and if the car continues it stellar reliability under your great care, you could wait a year or two.
Yes... they are routine. And for sure are expected of any car once she reaches into 10th year.

Quote:
In your case it seems to be the latter, because let's face it : routine maintenance on any of these new cars will start after 2/3 years + will be higher priced compared to the Linea (bigger battery, DSG oil change every 4 years, tyres 17", etc.) And also the odd niggle with the increasing amount of complex electronics & sensors.
Bored of Linea?? Nope. This consideration is - changing just for the heck of it. If you ask me to justify the 'NEED' for change, I am dumbstruck.
Another concern I had was same about the maintenance, particularly in case of T ROC with its DSG reliability issues, limited spare availability and maintenance cost in general.

Quote:
Personally not a fan of the Creta / Seltos ONLY due to the quality lapses & safety aspects (both widely covered on TBHP). Given your comments, I have a feeling it's something you may be bored of soon and may create a new thread with a similar query much earlier
totally a possibility - especially if I do not 'connect' to the car. As my dad used to say, you are not driving till you, car and road become one entity.

Quote:
Do check out the tucson once. With the discounts on offer, newer interiors, good ride & handling, punchy diesel : it could surprise you.
True. But there I sought 4x4 (becoming greedy ) and offers were remote on that. But again, a Hyundai being a Hyundai - a stellar value - but driving fun - the problem is I have driven Linea.

Quote:
New Octavia I'd wait 6-8 months to hear feedback on niggles before going ahead,
I would put this wait on Kushaq / Taigun as well and for the same reason.

Quote:
and who knows - if you decide to keep the Linea for a year or two and decide to increase the budget : there might be a similar fire sale on the 5 seater CBU Tiguan judging by history
Oh.. how I wish... you got me day dreaming there...

So judging by the inputs, it is making more sense to wait it seems, at least for another year or two.. no?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks